Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you go to Christmas Mass?

• 25-12-2017 12:17pm

Just back.

Can't pretend to have strong faith, but must say it was nice. I know it meant something to my Mum to have her granddaughter there, I think it's useful for a 3 year old to sit down and be quiet for 40 minutes, and when she gets to understand some of the message it's a pretty wholesome one. And frankly I think the time spent in quiet contemplation is no bad thing either, almost like sitting in a museum.

So did you go? How was it? Do you go out of a sense of faith or a sense that it's a good way to spend time, or do you have another reason?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,431 ✭✭✭MilesMorales1

Staying up and watching Die Hard is my christmas mass, so yes I did.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

What’s the weather like next few days?

No it's not a thing we do

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

I'm still in bed and plan to be for a while longer. First Christmas Day off work in 6 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I only go to mass for family events. Never gone by choice in 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Absolutely not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I stopped about 25 years ago when the family stopped going to midnight mass in town.

10 o clock in the suburbs??
    Don't think so.

I'd probably go if they had loads of black people in a choir singing Happy Birthday To Ya to Jesus.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I went last night. Magical. Place was packed, choir was gorgeous, mass was lovely, baby baptised, put the baby Jesus in the crib, highlight of the festivities.
    Will go back down to the crib this evening sit down and have a good cry about a couple of family members who died this year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Four Phucs Ache

Never go but went last night and I got a seat beside a rad so that was a plus, wife did her mingling with other wives and I asked everybody what they were having for dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,345 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

It's good to have the guts of an hour to sit back in peace, reflect and enjoy the quiet. They'll be home from Mass soon.

I only go once a year (we're just back) but herself brings them every week. It's good for them imo. Even if they don't have any "faith" when they get older, they can choose themselves but they'll have picked up a few good learnings along the way.

The numbers are really down on when I was a kid, the attendance was similar to a very quiet Sunday Mass from my youth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭Rumpy Pumpy

Yip, went to midnight mass. Not a believer, but the hymns were lovely, and the sermon was the type of thing that’s anyone could take solace and hope from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

I was washing my hair yet I’m bald.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,962 ✭✭✭r93kaey5p2izun

No. I only attend mass when contractually obliged.

I remember Christmas mass as quite nice though.

Omackeral wrote: »
    I'd probably go if they had loads of black people in a choir singing Happy Birthday To Ya to Jesus.

Lots of black people in our parish, and Asians but no Happy Birthday To Ya Jesus . That’s for Nelson Mandela.
    Is O Come O Come Emmanuel any good to you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

Not this year ... too risky. Pretty sure going into labour at the busiest mass of the year would not be a good thing!

bee06 wrote: »
    Not this year ... too risky. Pretty sure going into labour at the busiest mass of the year would not be a good thing!

Just tell them you’re a virgin and you’d be grand.

bee06 wrote: »

A friend of mine went into labour at the Easter Vigil. Mortified she was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I'm not a believer so don't particularly see any reason to go to church at midnight (or any time for that matter)

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭zzfh

Nope, went to anniv mass in september,was in there for 80mins.

knew that this would be the priests cup final...

Most of family went last night for 8pm,were home at 9:45, no thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm not a believer so don't particularly see any reason to go to church at midnight (or any time for that matter)

I fail to see what belief in Santa has to do with going to mass.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭deisedav

No way, try to keep myself away from Ireland's largest cult at all times

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I went last night and I haven't seen the church as packed in years!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,657 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

I had my quiet contemplation while the house emptied out to go to mass. Nice and peaceful.

'O Holy Night' was on the radio. Chooooooone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,362 ✭✭✭mojesius

zzfh wrote: »
    Nope, went to anniv mass in september,was in there for 80mins.

knew that this would be the priests cup final...

Most of family went last night for 8pm,were home at 9:45, no thanks.

They say Father Clippit does a good long mass. Three hours he does, on a good night. Since his stroke.

I went last night and I haven't seen the church as packed in years!

All the people that emigrated are home for Xmas and got dragged to mass by their parents.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Nope. Haven't gone in almost 20 years. But I do remember the carol singing before the actual midnight mass and the atmosphere being quite nice. Only go to church for funerals and weddings.

It seems to me that a lot of Irish people only go to mass at certain times to please the parents. I know people want to get on and have a peaceful life and not fall out with family but can't you assert yourselves and tell your mum or whoever wants you to go or take your children to mass to butt out and that you'll raise your kids as you see fit?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

No, I think only season ticket holders should be allowed go today.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭Keisha07

No mass in this village on Christmas day its 6.30 pm Christmas eve, not a hope of getting out for that time used to drag the OH when there was a morning service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

I think it is nice that people whom dont have a faith in Jesus can still appreciate the spirituality and sense of peace by going to mass. Pull aside all the controversies of the church in this country and look at the core message being delivered, be nice to your fellow man. Faith or not it is something everybody can take from and Christmas time is a great time to take stock and reflect on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭me_irl

No, I think only coffin dodgers should be allowed go today.

FYP! :pac:

All the people that emigrated are home for Xmas and got dragged to mass by their parents.

It was mainly just local families and a good few of them parents were dead so mammy/daddy didn't force them to go.

It was mainly just local families and a good few of them parents were dead so mammy/daddy didn't force them to go.

So you don’t consider local people who emigrated as local any more?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Mancomb Seepgood

I went to Quaker meeting yesterday morning,if that counts.

I was going to go to Mass last night.I always like the atmosphere,if not the crowds.We ended up leaving it to my parents and we went to the pub instead-managed to grab a table and some seats ahead of the post-Mass rush which pleased my folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭Minderbinder

I occasionally like going into a church to reflect on things. Maybe talk to the priest. The peace and quiet is nice. I wouldn’t go to mass though.

• Advertisement

So you don’t consider local people who emigrated as local any more?

I know my local town and who's around the majority of the people at mass last night who wouldn't normally be their were young families from the area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

When I was a teenager, I read that New Testament bit about growing up and putting away childish things ... so that was the end of religion for me. :o

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Nope didn’t go, no faith or need to please/seek approval from my parents.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Just back ourselves. Every year we've gone to Christmas mass in my parents parish but this year we have a 10 month old baby so time to start the tradition of going to our own parish.
    It was lovely, babs behaved for the most part, took great interest in looking around at all the faces and attempted joining in with the choir.
    Very glad we went.

I know my local town and who's around the majority of the people at mass last night who wouldn't normally be their were young families from the area!

Sounds like the guilt element of Xmas and having to say hello to baby Jesus on his birthday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,013 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

I used to go and oogle how fine the ladies of the village looked when I was a teenager. That was pretty much the highlight of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

No, never bother with it, my oh wanted to go with the kids but the rain put pay to that.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

I took my Granny to Mass, as I always do if I get the chance at Christmas. It was actually very pleasant and it meant a great deal to Gran. There was a little kids choir that was adorable, and a very nice atmosphere.

There are much worse ways to spend an hour or so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

I used to go and oogle how fine the ladies of the village looked when I was a teenager. That was pretty much the highlight of it.

When they stopped going, then I stopped going.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Yep went along with the folks.

The Bishop said it along with other clergy. Great choir and musicians.

He brought the kids down to look at the crib at the start and got them to sing away in a manger. Nice moment.

bladespin wrote: »
    No, never bother with it, my oh wanted to go with the kids but the rain put pay to that.

Should've built an ark and sailed on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

My parents never did religion with me so I never really got why people go, especially after everything the church have done. For non believers who are going - did you forget about all the dead kids in the septic tank? And that's only one of the latest horrible revelations. You have to hand it to them, they make Harvey Weinstein look like a decent guy yet they still pull in the crowds.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

So if you went to Mass, what was the sermon about ?? :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

My parents never did religion with me so I never really got why people go, especially after everything the church have done. For non believers who are going - did you forget about all the dead kids in the septic tank? And that's only one of the latest horrible revelations. You have to hand it to them, they make Harvey Weinstein look like a decent guy yet they still pull in the crowds.

I was wondering exactly the same about non believers going , in fact even if I was believer I wouldn't go to a church to listen to a priest bull****ting on after all the clergy did to people

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

The sermon in our mass was firstly about the main man of the day JC then he spoke about contemporary problems like homelessness then he moved on to the importance of family life and how everyone should try their best to get along and reconcile with each other.

It seemed to be very well received by the congregation.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement