Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you go to Christmas Mass?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

No. But I do like the idea of marking this time of year in a non commercial, non consumerist manner. Something nice and peaceful about people coming together for Christmas for something other than stuffing their faces, binge drinking and celebrating materialism.

So if you went to Mass, what was the sermon about ?? :P

A kid in Britain who got lost and ended up getting off a train in Macclesfield, his family looking for him, is being moist in our faith and the redemption within the family of the Church. Nice harmless stuff. And mercifully short.

To my delight my 3 year old was impeccably behaved...the bath before Mass was like an exorcism...

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

No.

Don't tell my mother though. Lives were lost for lesser crimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

I went to midnight mass, it was beautiful, the lighting was low with a lot of candles, the choir singers were really good and it was just really nice as one reflected on the real meaning of Christmas, the birth of Jesus and how it represents the family, something we all have, then remembering those family members who are no longer around to celebrate Christmas with.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,754 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My parents never did religion with me so I never really got why people go, especially after everything the church have done. For non believers who are going - did you forget about all the dead kids in the septic tank? And that's only one of the latest horrible revelations. You have to hand it to them, they make Harvey Weinstein look like a decent guy yet they still pull in the crowds.

So if your grandfather was a mass murderer, you should be treated as one too? Even though you have nothing but goodness in your heart?

My parents never did religion with me so I never really got why people go...

Don't want my child to end up like that, unable to experience something because her parents didn't want it. If she isn't religious, I have no issue...she'd be the same as her parents. But I think it's worth making the effort so at least she'll see and decide for herself in due course. And if it's not for her, she won't be hurt by the discipline of sitting down and listening to the message for 40 minutes. Heck even if it simply helps teach her how to behave, or gives her an appreciation for the gothic architecture of the local Church, it's good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I used to go and oogle how fine the ladies of the village looked when I was a teenager. That was pretty much the highlight of it.
    You sound like the saw doctors, "the glory of her ass".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Who said Mass?.
    I stopped going once they stopped letting drunk people in for midnight mass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

My parents never did religion with me so I never really got why people go, especially after everything the church have done. For non believers who are going - did you forget about all the dead kids in the septic tank? And that's only one of the latest horrible revelations. You have to hand it to them, they make Harvey Weinstein look like a decent guy yet they still pull in the crowds.

I am not sure but is part of being a catholic your meant to forgive others their sins?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,075 ✭✭✭IamtheWalrus

I stopped going since becoming an atheist but I would liked to have gone last night as the commmunal part of it is still nice and I think folk come out of it feeling good about themselves as they reflect on the year gone past.

I don't think I'll go again as it'd be a bit hypocritical of me as I've been pretty vocal in the past of my criticism of organised religion.

I'd love to attend a jam-packed community centre event celebrating Humanism though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Went last night. Packed. Good live crib going.

Now for the food.

Chat ye tomorrow!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Not a believer these days and we don't go to church outside of funerals, weddings, communions etc.

Haven't got around to going to Christmas mass for years but I can see what people mean. I like popping into old churches sometimes because of the stillness, peace and beauty of the building. For a lot of us as well, I guess Christmas is inextricably linked aesthetically with churches in our childhood.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭jackboy

Went lastnight. Interesting. Our usual priest retired recently so an older previously retired priest filled in. An old school sermon. He berated us all for being ungrateful to Jesus. Asked us why we were all here tonight when the church has been near empty all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,641 ✭✭✭Teyla Emmagan

Yes, it was lovely. Just in the door, everyone happy and full of Christmas cheer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,372 ✭✭✭bladespin

Omackeral wrote:
    Should've built an ark and sailed on.

Not at biblical levels yet, even here in Ireland.

Still got lols from thosd who tut tut at non believers yet wouldn't get wet for their devotions.

MasteryDarts Ireland - Master your game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭NollagShona

Went. Kids did nativity play, then mass started. Left at the Gospel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I go to keep my Mother happy. I'm not a believer and it's the only time of the year that I set foot inside a church and she knows all this, but she'd still be somehow saddened if I didn't go, so I suck it up for an hour every year.

It's more of a country thing, generally everyone I know goes, even if they are grown adults with no belief whatsoever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Yes....child dropped doll under seat in front of me, picked it up and gave it back.

Saw child's show under seat, picked it up to give it back,only to discover a different smaller child attached to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,067 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

Went to the kids mass even though I do not have kids as on early. Parents were louder then the kids. The priest who said it was relaxed no long sermon read a letter from Santa that they were good boys hands girls but remember that Jesus is the reason for the season. He is the the same priest the parish uses for any mass in relation to kids. It was nice

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

Anyway apologies for my rant hope you are all having a lovely day. I wish the bloody rain would stop so I could go for a walk!! Jesus... if you’re up there...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Gorgeousgeorge

No i would have gone and did go religiously until the local church cancelled the xmas eve midnight mass and early xmas morning mass.

Dont handle big crowds and being like a sardine in a tin to well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

Bullocks wrote: »
    I was wondering exactly the same about non believers going , in fact even if I was believer I wouldn't go to a church to listen to a priest bull****ting on after all the clergy did to people

Pretty much agree but I like the priest here, decent chap, grand to talk to. So even though i dislike "the church" I'm happy enough to listen to him now and then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,595 ✭✭✭hairyslug

I drifted away from religion about 8 years ago, last Christmas mass would have been about 15 years ago so I wasn't a regular anyway. I can however appreciate what an empty quiet church can do for the mind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

So if you went to Mass, what was the sermon about ?? :P

Our sermon was about a catholic missionary from US in Bangladesh who doesn’t do any proselytizing or evangelizing whatsoever .
    He cycles around the villages in the area every day keeping an eye out for sick or disabled Muslims who need to be taken to hospital, which he can organize.
    It’s a pretty poor place.
    He’s the only Christian around.
    The archbishop was out on the missions himself and he bangs in about the third world non stop.
    He’s the least unlikely archbishop in Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Don't want my child to end up like that, unable to experience something because her parents didn't want it. If she isn't religious, I have no issue...she'd be the same as her parents. But I think it's worth making the effort so at least she'll see and decide for herself in due course. And if it's not for her, she won't be hurt by the discipline of sitting down and listening to the message for 40 minutes. Heck even if it simply helps teach her how to behave, or gives her an appreciation for the gothic architecture of the local Church, it's good...

I don't see the point of this. I was talking, once upon a time to my young niece and I was telling I didn't go to mass cos I don't believe in god. I was being tetchy and said prove he exists and the look I got back was like, duh of COURSE he exists.

It comes down to the entire indoctrination argument really. You're letting your child choose but still A: guiding her down the path that a god exists and B: that it's the catholic variety god.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,723 ✭✭✭zimmermania

Have not gone since I realised that Noah never bothered to bring some of the deep sea dwellers on board the Arksey.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭ShoulderChip

splinter65 wrote: »
    Our sermon was about a catholic missionary from US in Bangladesh who doesn’t do any proselytizing or evangelizing whatsoever .
    He cycles around the villages in the area every day keeping an eye out for sick or disabled Muslims who need to be taken to hospital, which he can organize.
    It’s a pretty poor place.
    He’s the only Christian around.
    The archbishop was out on the missions himself and he bangs in about the third world non stop.
    He’s the least unlikely archbishop in Ireland

Well once he does take them to hospital that is good unlike mother Theresa and her death camps of prayer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭kenmc

Not a chance. Only reason to go into a religious building is the odd occasion a person of a given faith invites me to their wedding, or a religious person dies and has a ceremony, I'd go out of respect for them. Not going to waste my precious time otherwise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Haven't been to a mass in 25 years. I'd only go for a wedding etc, never for Christmas. I was driving home yesterday from a friend's house and the local church was packed for the family mass. This same church is in danger of closing due to lack of support. I don't understand how going once a year is seen as acceptable, what's the point?

are you off to synagogue next so

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

I go mainly for the chats!!

I'm a terrible people person/at small talk....

.but rather strangly have no issue having the chats in mass?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,089 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes. I was the av tech person on duty last night. Sermon was something about Jesus and being nice to people - I was focussed on doing a last minute chance to some of the setup so wasn't really listening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Would be a regular church goer so went last night , church packed , nice singing and a simple enough sermon .
    A great sense of community , shaking hands with those around you , I find it a great help in tough challenging times , to say a few payers and a bit of peace and quite ... is that such a bad thing ??
    I'm not mr holy Joe but i think a lot of us benefit from a bit of reflection ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Went to Midnight Mass last night. Carols, and incense, and candles, and carols, and a few more carols.

:D

hurler32 wrote: »
    I'm not mr holy Joe but i think a lot of us benefit from a bit of reflection ...

I agree....but would be of the opioion yous need not go to mass/say prayers for this??

Different strokes for different folks

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Yes at midnight

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

As a proud baptised-atheist I did not attend any of the religious jiggery-pokery of the festive season.

Bad things happened with abuse in the church but not wanting to sound like Father Ted it was a very very small minority . I know of lots of good things done by clergy in my own and other parishs but it seems it's cool to be Aethist and make fun of those who say a few prayers ??
    I'm in my forties and won't be bullied or shamed into abandoning the religion I was reared with.
    There was serious abuse cases in our local school by teachers but people didn't stop attending school or hate teaching over it ??

• Advertisement

Bad things happened with abuse in the church but not wanting to sound like Father Ted it was a very very small minority . I know of lots of good things done by clergy in my own and other parishs but it seems it's cool to be Aethist and make fun of those who say a few prayers ??
    I'm in my forties and won't be bullied or shamed into abandoning the religion I was reared with.
    There was serious abuse cases in our local school by teachers but people didn't stop attending school or hate teaching over it ??

The biggest problem being that while it was only a small minority of priests doing the abuse (and tbf very unlikely to happen again)

It's seems it was somewhat of an open secret that they virtually all knew about and done nothing to stop it (see Harvey Weinstein for similar example)....those priests are in no position to stand on an alter and lecture to others about morals tbh

Took my 5-year old along. She made a point of loudly declaring to everyone we passed on the way there that "we are going to mass". If it was online I'd call it 'virtue-signalling'!

Got there, 2 minutes in and she was asking if there's an attic in the church, a toilet in the church etc. She was whispering but in the weird 'not really whispering' way that kids have. She then loudly declared that God is her dad and not me. It got a laugh from the people near us

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

RobertKK wrote: »
    So if your grandfather was a mass murderer, you should be treated as one too? Even though you have nothing but goodness in your heart?

Yup , humpy cow , humpy calf :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

You married yet? :)

The biggest problem being that while it was only a small minority of priests doing the abuse (and tbf very unlikely to happen again)

It's seems it was somewhat of an open secret that they virtually all knew about and done nothing to stop it (see Harvey Weinstein for similar example)....those priests are in position to stand on an alter and lecture to others about morals tbh
    Plenty of teachers and even guards knew about was going on in our school but no one did anything about it either , to be fair Ireland in the past had a head in the sand - denial approach in most walks of life ... times were different is often said whatever that means ... a bit like my father like most other fathers going to the pub every night ... times were different ??
    I think the total abandonment of religion as is been encouraged by many in recent years is seeing young people growing up with little if any boundaries ..whilst some of the religion stuff is a bit mad as dougal says , it still instilled a lot of basic boundaries like don't rob or kill your neighbour etc ...look out for the elderly , your neighbour etc ...if people said a few prayers once a week they were far less likely to be robbing you or stabbing you as seems to becoming more and more commonplace in modern Ireland ..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

It's seems it was somewhat of an open secret that they virtually all knew about and done nothing to stop it (see Harvey Weinstein for similar example)....those priests are in no position to stand on an alter and lecture to others about morals tbh

Indeed, also the abuse scandals and subsequent cover ups/intimidation of victims were only one aspect of the damage this corrupt institution has done to this and many other countries. Oppression of intellectual, sexual and bodily autonomy to name but a few transgressions of our 'moral guardians.'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

We were driving home last night and came around the corner and there was a fair bit more traffic than normal..... realized they were for the church.......first and last time anything remotely religious entered my head for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭seenitall

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

Congrats so!! Enjoy the married life! :D

Oppression of intellectual, sexual and bodily autonomy to name but a few transgressions of our 'moral guardians.'

Tbf that's people's own mistake to hand that much power and respect over to someone else without them earning it

.....a mindset I can't comprehend (you see it today still people blindly support gaurds inspite of a half decade of weekly scandels about them)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Plenty of teachers and even guards knew about was going on in our school but no one did anything about it either , to be fair Ireland in the past had a head in the sand - denial approach in most walks of life ... times were different is often said whatever that means ... a bit like my father like most other fathers going to the pub every night ... times were different ??
    I think the total abandonment of religion as is been encouraged by many in recent years is seeing young people growing up with little if any boundaries ..whilst some of the religion stuff is a bit mad as dougal says , it still instilled a lot of basic boundaries like don't rob or kill your neighbour etc ...look out for the elderly , your neighbour etc ...if people said a few prayers once a week they were far less likely to be robbing you or stabbing you as seems to becoming more and more commonplace in modern Ireland ..

I'm going to try and teach my two not to rob or kill the neighbours without religion . Don't know if it will work though:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement