Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Did you go to Christmas Mass?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Tbf that's people's own mistake to hand that much power and respect over to someone else without them earning it

.....a mindset I can't comprehend (you see it today still people blindly support gaurds inspite of a half decade of weekly scandels about them)

Yup Im sure you would have led the revolution against the hand in glove Church-State Complex.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,768 ✭✭✭✭tomwaterford

Yup Im sure you would have led the revolution against the Church-State Complex, hand in glove.

Coming from a family who've been regularly excommunicated and admonished from the pulpit (and still church approached them inprivate for help)..with well over a 100 years

Grandfather a dying man and wouldn't let the priest into his cottage

(Hence how despite having several relatives...I get stopped and searches by gaurds with suprising frequency)....but yous keep making assumptions on someone you don't know

Edit: congrats permabear✌

Coming from a family who've been regularly excommunicated and admonished from the pulpit (and still church approached them inprivate for help)..with well over a 100 years

Grandfather a dying man and wouldn't let the priest into his cottage

(Hence how despite having several relatives...I get stopped and searches by gaurds with suprising frequency)....but yous keep making assumptions on someone you don't know

Think you are missing the point about clerical teachings forming many of our state laws, even to this day, citizens did not have an opt out.

Think you are missing the point about clerical teachings forming many of our state laws to this day, citizens did not have an opt out.

Meh it's only a formality for the abortion thing to pass I'd say?

Why did people not get themselves together sooner to seek reform and change....there some people seeking abortion reform with 40+ years??....people will only walk over and oppress yous...if ya let them

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Crayfish

hurler32 wrote: »
    ..whilst some of the religion stuff is a bit mad as dougal says , it still instilled a lot of basic boundaries like don't rob or kill your neighbour etc ...look out for the elderly , your neighbour etc ...if people said a few prayers once a week they were far less likely to be robbing you or stabbing you as seems to becoming more and more commonplace in modern Ireland ..

There are fathers, mothers, neighbours, teachers, these are the people who should be instilling morals in us and being role models, not an organisation which is, let's face it, all built on fairy tales. Not only that they inflicted such a cruel regime on some of the weakest and poorest in Ireland. Unforgivable in my book.

Meh it's only a formality for the abortion thing to pass I'd say?

Why did people not get themselves together sooner to seek reform and change....there some people seeking abortion reform with 40+ years??....people will only walk over and oppress yous...if ya let them

In the Internet/multimedia age we now live in, the stifling/censorship of public discourse that occurred for decades regarding the Catholic Church is incomprehensible to us now.

We all went last night, There is always something special about Christmas Eve mass.

bluewolf wrote: »
    are you off to synagogue next so

I'd like that, but as I'm in Kerry and think the nearest is in Dublin since the one in Cork closed, it's most inconvenient. Oh and there's the Hebrew thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 unclealbert

I went to a so called nativity mass for children,the mass lasted a whole 1 hour 15 mins.Kids were crying by the end of it adults were bored.Aint doing that again.Think I'll also do the die hard movie next year.

I went to a so called nativity mass for children,the mass lasted a whole 1 hour 15 mins.Kids were crying by the end of it adults were bored.Aint doing that again.Think I'll also do the die hard movie next year.

More truth/life lessons in Die Hard.

• Advertisement

In the Internet/multimedia age we now live in, the stifling/censorship of public discourse that occurred for decades regarding the Catholic Church is incomprehensible to us now.

It's all mindset really
    .....I remember when I young.....father and couple aunts and uncles got up and walked out mid sermon and didn't return for months to local church after a disagreement with the priest

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

There are fathers, mothers, neighbours, teachers, these are the people who should be instilling morals in us and being role models, not an organisation which is, let's face it, all built on fairy tales. Not only that they inflicted such a cruel regime on some of the weakest and poorest in Ireland. Unforgivable in my book.

Then covered it up, lied, attacked the character of their victims, paid people off, moved priests around parishes and abroad.

fair enough only a minority carried out these actions, but the institution had no problem covering them up. Also, these abuse cases are not isolated to Ireland. Look abroad and it's terrifying the number of lives ruined by the Catholic church.

I have no problem with people seeking comfort in religion, but to openly support the church in full knowledge of what they've done is heinous in my opinion.

It's all mindset really
    .....I remember when I young.....father and couple aunts and uncles got up and walked out mid sermon and didn't return for months to local church after a disagreement with the priest

Not doubting isolated incidents of descent, where there is power there always exists forms of resistance, but in terms of mass mobilisation of contrary ideas to church teachings like we have witnessed with the marriage referndum and with abortion, this would not have been possible without the influence of foreign media and exchange of ideas with the internet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

It's all mindset really .....I remember when I young.....father and couple aunts and uncles got up and walked out mid sermon and didn't return for months to local church after a disagreement with the priest

I'd say the church were ****ting themselves at your families rebellion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

are you off to synagogue next so

The child’s family wouldn’t have an immediate history of going to the synagogue or come from a Hewish culture so why would they do that ?

khaldrogo wrote: »
    I'd say the church were ****ting themselves at your families rebellion

Meh....doubt it tbh

But something to be happy with....not leavibg those who perceive themselves as powerful to walk all over yous :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭physioman

Went to 830am mass. Was 25 mins. Priest told a joke for his homily. Perfect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

Always go to Christmas mass, it is my tradition. I don't go to mass any other time of the year.

splinter65 wrote: »
    The child’s family wouldn’t have an immediate history of going to the synagogue or come from a Hewish culture so why would they do that ?

Op specifically said they wanted to do things so the child wouldn't miss out for those reasons and have a choice
    It is possible to convert

• Advertisement

He said he was "giving her a choice" of religion even though it's not his thing, so why choose Catholicism if he's not even Catholic? Anyway I don't see how it's a choice when you bring a putty brained gullible child into a church where they try and put the fear of God into them. Maybe try bringing them when they're 16 and mature enough to know better, and see how many choose to believe in it all?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

I'm not anyway spiritual at all but I go to mass every Christmas day in memory of my nan who died on Christmas day so it's one time the family get together to pay tribute to her and its really nice.

I was sitting there this morning listening to the priest and I have to say I really enjoyed it. Not one mention if spirits or Jesus and so on it was all full of stories of experiences and interactions he had in the home parish that year and it was nice to hear about good people for a change.

Yes the church in Ireland made a terrible bad name for themselves and it probably still does but it was so nice to have just an hour of happy thoughts and memories and stories.

Op specifically said they wanted to do things so the child wouldn't miss out for those reasons and have a choice

I didn't say it was the only reason. As I said above, a synagogue would be rather inconvenient for starters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

...if people said a few prayers once a week they were far less likely to be robbing you or stabbing you as seems to becoming more and more commonplace in modern Ireland ..

Think that's more to do with the revolving door system and lack of fear of being punished.

The people who ran the laundries were full of prayers, novenas and rosaries...not people you would look up to for moral guidance tbh.

Not really.

He said he was "giving her a choice" of religion even though it's not his thing, so why choose Catholicism if he's not even Catholic? Anyway I don't see how it's a choice when you bring a putty brained gullible child into a church where they try and put the fear of God into them. Maybe try bringing them when they're 16 and mature enough to know better, and see how many choose to believe in it all?

It must be 40 years since you actually listened to or read anything a RCC priest had to say. Why don’t you bring yourself up to date?

• Advertisement

It must be 40 years since you actually listened to or read anything a RCC priest had to say. Why don’t you bring yourself up to date?

More like 30 years. I’m edgy and don’t believe in ghost stories why would I listen to a deluded priest?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.

I don't why you need a man in a dress to tell you this. Well each to their own, I just can't understand organised religion at all.

Anyway I don't see how it's a choice when you bring a putty brained gullible child into a church where they try and put the fear of God into them. Maybe try bringing them when they're 16 and mature enough to know better, and see how many choose to believe in it all?

And yet, ironically, you followed your parents position and I didn't follow mine...

And yet, ironically, you followed your parents position and I didn't follow mine...

I didn't follow anyone I was clever enough not to realise it's all nonsense not that you have to be a genius to figure that out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

You are lucky. My brother took my mother to mass and he said the priest used the homily to talk about the abortion referendum. A family mass and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 451 ✭✭hurler32

Best close this thread down .. it's clear Boards majority is aethist .... and not alone that they seem to hate anyone that might attend church or say a prayer ...modern Ireland I guess ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Best close this thread down .. it's clear Boards majority is aethist .... and not alone that they seem to hate anyone that might attend church or say a prayer ...modern Ireland I guess ....

Atheist is the hip thing now.

Tbf they mostly just ramble soundbites. Oherwise they would be protesting that companies are closed today when they could be happily at work. I'm also sure none of them have accepted any presents from any family OR had a special dinner. They are just part-time keyboard atheists, they have no problem taking time off when a church holiday comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,870 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

I did and sit back now and laugh at this eejit.

Was in early and got talking to one of the elders. He asked if I would bring up the gifts to the altar with my 8 year old. Not a bother says I.

Now....bear in mind I'm not of the Catholic faith so when I got the nod to bring up the gifts (the holy bread and wine) I hopped up with my daughter and cleared the table.

Daughter brought the bread and this eejit brought the wine, a full decorative floral arrangement and an old photo of the parish.

Couldn't understand why everyone was sniggering on the way down and a friend of the wife was wiping tears from her eyes. Only when I sat down and my wife told me that it was only the bread and wine had to be given to the priest.

You live and learn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭mixery

didn't go and as per every Christmas got into an argument about it..

Not really.

Yes really...
    I didn't say it was the only reason. As I said above, a synagogue would be rather inconvenient for starters.

You did indeed and that's all fair enough. just explaining to this other person here. indeed, a friend's sister's husband converted a little while ago

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭sReq | uTeK

Didn't go, don't believe in God but if it gives people like my mum peace of mind then fair play to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

Why close it down, sure the threads just asking whether or not people went to mass, no need to close it just because a lot of people are saying no.

I'm not a believer either, I do quite like Christmas Mass though, there's a good atmosphere about it. I don't go anymore, but that's more down to the fact I don't particularly like the local priest than my lack of belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭LovelySpuds

Didn’t go this year, haven’t done for a good few years now.

More like 30 years. I’m edgy and don’t believe in ghost stories why would I listen to a deluded priest?

If you don’t listen and know nothing about it then why express an opinion?

• Advertisement

I don't why you need a man in a dress to tell you this. Well each to their own, I just can't understand organised religion at all.

You forgot to mention the spaghetti monster in the sky. So 0/10.
    2/10 edgy hip cool points for “the man in the dress”.
    Poor performance by you today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,530 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

mixery wrote: »
    didn't go and as per every Christmas got into an argument about it..

Ditto.

I thought tolerance was one of the tenets of Christianity yet some older family members can't handle the notion that the younger set have different ideas and try to guilt-trip or otherwise manipulate them into going.

I find it difficult to switch my mind off and be comfortable supporting, albeit passively - by attending, an organisation that betrayed and destroyed lives.

If the rcc hadn't shat on its own doorstep like it did, it wouldn't be in the state it's in now. Anti religion feelings did not spring out of a vacuum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

No, haven't gone in years and see no reason to start again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,156 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Its the highlight of his day.

I didn't follow anyone I was clever enough not to realise it's all nonsense not that you have to be a genius to figure that out

You may well be clever, and fair play to you...But is there not a contradiction between your earlier indication that there would be no more rants, and now questioning the intelligence of others with a different position?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,480 ✭✭✭pgj2015

I think it is nice that people whom dont have a faith in Jesus can still appreciate the spirituality and sense of peace by going to mass. Pull aside all the controversies of the church in this country and look at the core message being delivered, be nice to your fellow man. Faith or not it is something everybody can take from and Christmas time is a great time to take stock and reflect on it.

it is common sense in fairness, treat people the way you want to be treated yourself, not sure why people need religion to do this. The catholic church is just a money making machine that takes advantage of vulnerable people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,849 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Threads on the subject always turn out the same!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement