Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

E.T. over Jesus Christ

• 25-12-2017 6:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭

Isn't it right in these more enlightened times we ditched the baby Jesus for a more modern inspiration in our meaningless modern consumerist lifestyle.
    Surely E.T. could be a compromise figure that wouldn't cause offence to non Christian's. No more controversies over cribs and what not.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,522 ✭✭✭tigger123

Isn't there a direct comparison in the stories of Jesus and ET? Think I read that somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭server down

Isn't it right in these more enlightened times we ditched the baby Jesus for a more modern inspiration in our meaningless modern consumerist lifestyle.
    Surely E.T. could be a compromise figure that wouldn't cause offence to none Christian's. No more controversies over cribs and what not.

What’s a none Christian?

That’s a good idea op, not stupid at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

What’s a none Christian?

That’s a good idea op, not stupid at all.

It's a non with an e on the end......sorry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,195 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

Have you seen them green wimens in Star Trek I'd go on a pilgrimage for 3 of them. I may be drunk but I'm not. Not not not

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Is it just me or does E.T’s size change throughout the film?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Surely E.T. could be a compromise figure that wouldn't cause offence to non Christian's. No more controversies over cribs and what not.
    You mean scientology?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,651 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Also, Spielberg is Jewish so doubt it’s a JC thing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,453 ✭✭✭Asus X540L

faceman wrote: »

Maybe he was just pleased to see Elliot

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

John Williams music in ET is total genius. If that music wasn't in it, a good lot of the magic wouldn't be there.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Well he does look like Jesus with that red heart. All he needs is a night light

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

I can't be the only one that finds E.T rubbish

Phew it's the real Charlie and the chocolate factory movie on now! The modern WB titles had me worried for a second as I am like a beached whale here and the remote is out of reach.

EPAndlee wrote: »

Boo, it always has me in tears at the end.

EPAndlee wrote: »

I’ve never really liked it. I like most of the big 80s blockbuster movies - Indiana Jones, back to the future etc but never really took to ET.

Phew it's the real Charlie and the chocolate factory movie on now! The modern WB titles had me worried for a second as I am like a beached whale here and the remote is out of reach.

If you think about it it’s a real stupid way to find a CEO. Almost didn’t work. 4 prick kids and one unbelievablely nice one who beat the odds.

No way to hire a CEO.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

We ditched the stories about Jesus because they were lies that not even the man himself belived in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Who gives a damn wether or not non Christians or anyone else is offended by Jesus?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,450 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

That E.T fella, he had some neck...

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

If you think about it it’s a real stupid way to find a CEO. Almost didn’t work. 4 prick kids and one unbelievablely nice one who beat the odds.

No way to hire a CEO.

Trust me, from experience in places I've worked or had dealings with, there's a lot, lot worse ways to hire a CEO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

We ditched the stories about Jesus because they were lies that not even the man himself belived in.

Whose 'we'? You and the church of Michael Nugent?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Also,

ET is class.

Particularly like that scene where he wont touch Tom Hanks from Philadelphia because he doesnt want aids. Hilarious.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,442 ✭✭✭Riddle101

E.T? I think you mean Kleeborp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

faceman wrote: »

the same stuntman was in most scenes, he was 2'10" tall (86 cm)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I'd prefer Mr. T

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Both E.T. and J.C really decided to get out of the place quick once the chance came. You wouldn't see Indiana Jones baiting off and leaving anyone behind in some dreadful grim kip. I can't wait for this in a few days. This scene is genius, the music, the editing and the ridiculous scrap.

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 596 ✭✭✭MSVforever

Old school is the best. Was waiting for the oompa loompas all day ðŸ˜

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Fun Fact: It will be 35 years tomorrow since E.T. was first release in Ireland.

Advertisement