Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly Chicken from Butchers

Options
  • 25-12-2017 9:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭

Pre ordered a fresh free range bird from my local butcher a couple of days ago and collected it early Christmas eve, straight home into the fridge, (less than 10 mins).
    Opened the bag it came in Christmas morning, only to met by a strong smell akin to rotten eggs. I was a bit concerned, the colour and texture looked ok
    so I thoroughly washed the bird and roasted for 200 minutes at 175c, still smelled a bit 'sour' after it cooled down so didn't eat it. Xmas dinner ruined.
    What are my options please if any one knows, I can't find much info regarding butchers shops. There was no sell by or use by on the bag.
    Thanks in advance.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,357 ✭✭✭hawkelady

I'm sure the butcher will sort you out when imhe opens up his shop after the break. Just go down to him and tell him what you said here ..
    not sure what you're exactly looking for here but I'm sure the butcher will give you something .... make sure to take the chicken down to him , in a bag with the smell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If it's a proper craft butcher's then go in and tell them about it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 59 ✭✭Maggie Marie

Keeping a chicken for a few more days until butcher opens is unhygienic.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭aabarnes1

hawkelady wrote: »
    I'm sure the butcher will sort you out when imhe opens up his shop after the break. Just go down to him and tell him what you said here ..
    not sure what you're exactly looking for here but I'm sure the butcher will give you something .... make sure to take the chicken down to him , in a bag with the smell.

I suppose I am severely disjointed given that Christmas dinner was ruined so I suppose a refund and an apology would be nice from him thats what I'd be looking for.

If it's a proper craft butcher's then go in and tell them about it.

He's an independent butcher, not sure what constitutes 'craft'.

• Advertisement

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    He's an independent butcher, not sure what constitutes 'craft'.

What we'd call 'a proper butcher's' years ago.

Just explain what you put here and I'm sure he'll make good the disappointment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

Keeping a chicken for a few more days until butcher opens is unhygienic.

Just put it in a bag and in your wheeliebin until then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Don't wash chickens in future!
    Take it back and ask for a refund.

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Just put it in a bag and in your wheeliebin until then.

Bringing it to the butcher's is pointless several days later.

What we'd call 'a proper butcher's' years ago.

Just explain what you put here and I'm sure he'll make good the disappointment.

Ahh thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Some ould bird he had lying around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

I was after a bit of real black pudding one time, never came across such a pack of liars in the one profession as butchers.

Please.... enlighten us

• Registered Users Posts: 3,354 ✭✭✭.red.

I suppose I am severely disjointed given that Christmas dinner was ruined so I suppose a refund and an apology would be nice from him thats what I'd be looking for.

Freeze it and bring it back to them, otherwise its sitting in your fridge getting worse.
    I worked in a deli before and these things happen. Not much consolation to you now tho.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,102 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Bin it, but go back to him when he opens next and tell him. It might not be his fault, the stock he got might have been Dodgey.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Why on earth did you wash the chicken??? What does that achieve???

Your response is neither helpful nor courteous.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭august12

I wouldn't normally wash a chicken but in this case, I would do exactly the same if I was met with such an offensive smell, would probably power hose it if I could.

Bringing it to the butcher's is pointless several days later.

Oh yeah they probably won't be open until wed!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

I arrived in my late mother in laws house one Christmas Day evening many years ago (I’d been in work) and was invited to help myself to cold turkey and ham etc.
    On picking up the half eaten bird I knew in an instant that it was rotten.
    They intended to eat it again of course on Stephens Day and I felt awful telling her that not only had she probably poisoned her family but it would have to go in the bin.
    These things happen.
    Butcher didn’t deliberately give you a bad bird.
    Tell him and he’ll compensate you I’m sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

OP - you could have made yourself a lot sicker from the splashing caused by washing the chicken !

http://www.safefood.eu/Food-Safety/Don-t-Wash-Raw-Chicken.aspx

Better get the boiling water out and start scrubbing down all the surfaces you have splashed rotten chicken all over..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You might not think so but you were very foolish to wash a raw chicken, for your own sake please don't do such a thing in future as you are only making things worse.

http://www.safefood.eu/Blog/Blog/November-2014/Don%e2%80%99t-wash-your-chicken!.aspx

Neither is yours.

It's really dangerous to wash a chicken as the bacteria lives on the skin so when you wash it you splash it everywhere and transfer it onto your hands which you then touch things all over the house with... It's a quick and easy way to make people really sick.

Anything dangerous will be killed while it's cooking, cold water doesn't kill bacteria and if it was that smelly a wash isn't going to change much.

I think the post was quite helpful as it brought up a point that people didn't seem aware of.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

Pre ordered a fresh free range bird from my local butcher a couple of days ago and collected it early Christmas eve, straight home into the fridge, (less than 10 mins).
    Opened the bag it came in Christmas morning, only to met by a strong smell akin to rotten eggs. I was a bit concerned, the colour and texture looked ok
    so I thoroughly washed the bird and roasted for 200 minutes at 175c, still smelled a bit 'sour' after it cooled down so didn't eat it. Xmas dinner ruined.
    What are my options please if any one knows, I can't find much info regarding butchers shops. There was no sell by or use by on the bag.
    Thanks in advance.:mad:
    did you really roast a chicken for 200 minutes or am i reading wrong,also as said washing a chicken is not advised and free range birds can also taste and smell a bit more gamier then the usual chicken but if in dought through it out or freeze it until butcher is back to work,I'm sure they will understand. sorry my mistake i thought i seen you bought a free range chicken doh to much christmas drinks happy holidays

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

Boiling water actually doesn't do much unless you're immersing things in it for a few minutes. Just pouring it onto surfaces might leave live bacteria and bacterial spores.

Put on rubber gloves and clean down the sink surfaces with a bleachy cleaner. Clean the tap very thoroughly. Rinse everything very well.

Clean all other surfaces with a good kitchen cleaner. Dry with paper.

If any cloths or sponges were exposed to raw chicken, either throw them away, or put them into a large pot and boil for at least a few minutes.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,647 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

coleslaw wrote: »
    did you really roast a chicken for 200 minutes or am i reading wrong,also as said washing a chicken is not advised and free range birds can also taste and smell a bit more gamier then the usual chicken but if in dought through it out or freeze it until butcher is back to work,I'm sure they will understand. sorry my mistake i thought i seen you bought a free range chicken doh to much christmas drinks happy holidays

#than#
    #doubt#
    #throw#
    #i'd#
    #hellapunctuation#

sydthebeat wrote: »
    #than#
    #doubt#
    #throw#
    #i'd#
    #hellapunctuation#
    yeah dyslexia is a lot of fun for me to,and yes i did have to google how to spell that cheers

#than#
    #doubt#
    #throw#
    #i'd#
    #hellapunctuation#

its posts like that is why i don't post much,happy christmas anyway

#than#
    #doubt#
    #throw#
    #i'd#
    #hellapunctuation#

*I'd
    Capital letter please.

Hellapunctuation indeed :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

coleslaw wrote: »
    its posts like that is why i don't post much,happy christmas anyway

Merry Xmas to you too!

Ignore posts like that. If someone has nothing to add other than do be aggressively (and ironically) critical of someone's grammar and punctuation, they're really not adding much.

Just hit the report button on the post. That kind of nonsense just derails threads.

Advertisement