Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smelly Chicken from Butchers

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭coleslaw

flaneur wrote: »
    Merry Xmas to you too!

Ignore posts like that. If someone has nothing to add other than do be aggressively (and ironically) critical of someone's grammar and punctuation, they're really not adding much.

Just hit the report button on the post. That kind of nonsense just derails threads.

thank you it can take a while to make a post sometimes,anyway i can advise on cooking as that is where i have experience,its nice to see the last couple of posts cheers:D

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

If it's a proper craft butcher's then go in and tell them about it.
    aabarnes1 wrote: »
    He's an independent butcher, not sure what constitutes 'craft'.
    They can fork out cash for a sign on the door that calls them officially "craft", they can be the filthiest scumbags you have ever met. You can read it here, seems to be no real rules or auditing at all
    https://www.craftbutchers.ie/difference/

People put way to much trust in "the butchers" I remember cringing at the time around the horsemeat scandal, the likes of Darina Allen going on about "the butchers" as they 100% of them are a chain and totally beyond reproach. Then people give this laughably vague defense/advice of "oh you have to find a good one, the one you came across was obviously bad."
    Bringing it to the butcher's is pointless several days later.
    Keeping a chicken for a few more days until butcher opens is unhygienic.
    It is at least alleged proof they did not eat it, once cooked you "reset" the "best before" date so a cooked chicken should be OK several days later. If I was a butcher I would certainly appreciate a customer bringing it back as evidence.
    Why on earth did you wash the chicken??? What does that achieve???
    Seems quite obvious to me, I guess they wondered if the smell was superficial and just on the surface for some reason and so hoped that washing it might remove it, I would have done the same as a last resort on christmas day, though I would never normally wash one. Not everybody is a complete fcuking moron and washes meat under a powerful tap spraying contamination everywhere -I am very well aware of the advice against washing chicken and would have done it in a manner I know was safe.
    It's really dangerous to wash a chicken as the bacteria lives on the skin so when you wash it you splash it everywhere and transfer it onto your hands which you then touch things all over the house with... It's a quick and easy way to make people really sick.
    This is why I would consciously & deliberately decide not to do this...

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

No more spelling/grammar corrections

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

flaneur wrote: »
    If any cloths or sponges were exposed to raw chicken, either throw them away, or put them into a large pot and boil for at least a few minutes.

What? If I use a sponge to clean a knife I've just used to cut up raw chicken, I'm supposed to either boil it or throw it away after?

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭beechwood55

Yes. Raw chicken is one of the biggest causes of serious food poisoning.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭njs030

Pelvis wrote: »
    What? If I use a sponge to clean a knife I've just used to cut up raw chicken, I'm supposed to either boil it or throw it away after?

Well hopefully you wouldnt just give the knife a wipe and think it's clean of bacteria? It needs to be properly washed in hot water and a cleaning agent like washing up liquid before using it again.
    Yes if you do what you've just suggested both your sponge AND knife are now covered in potentially deadly bacteria which you're going to spread everywhere.
    It could be fine for you because you're used to it but introduce that to someone with a low immune system, an elderly person or a baby and you could make them very, very unwell.

Starting to see how so many people get stomach problems tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

Starting to see how so many people get stomach problems tbh.

How did we survive before we were told to stop washing chicken? It's only a few years ago it was common practice.

Why does Ireland have the highest levels of this bacteria on chickens by a mile compared to other EU countries?

https://www.farmersjournal.ie/ireland-has-highest-rate-of-poultry-food-poisoning-bacteria-in-europe-176210

We really have an anything goes in the food industry here when you look back over the years.

I was just reading a story about free range the other day and they way farmers here get around the requirements, sham is all it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,018 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I only heard of people washing chicken in the past few years. Odd American idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭Rubberchikken

If its a butchers you go to regularly theres no need to bring in the chicken. Just explaining the issue should have a fresh chicken or your money back no question. Im going on our butchers. Mind you we've never had any issue with any of their meat but i know if there was it would be sorted quickly.

If you are one of the totally clueless morons that so many here presume most people are then yes, throw it out. If you did not wear gloves you might consider amputation. Stay indoors too, it's dangerous out there.
    Kuva wrote: »
    How did we survive before we were told to stop washing chicken? It's only a few years ago it was common practice.
    Never heard of it being common practice. Any reference to this?, like old cooking books or something? If you did find instructions I would they told you to splash it all around the place like some here like to think.

I find it amusing to see some chefs on tv making a point of saying they have washed their hand before handling meat, even though it is going to be cooked -and then going on to cross contaminate everything within sight.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Kuva

rubadub wrote: »

Never heard of it being common practice. Any reference to this?, like old cooking books or something? If you did find instructions I would they told you to splash it all around the place like some here like to think..

http://www.thejournal.ie/raw-chicken-washing-1522529-Jun2014/

57% that says.

A few years ago I knew no one that didn't wash it.

57% that says.

Possibly in those days people didn't know how dangerous it was and how much bacteria they were spreading that would be killed by cooking anyway.

57% that says.

I can't recall ever seeing it being done at home or in others houses. I heard of some in threads here years ago doing it as the chicken had faeces on it.
    Possibly in those days people didn't know how dangerous it was and how much bacteria they were spreading that would be killed by cooking anyway.
    or many possibly did it in a non dangerous way, well aware of the contamination risks.

rubadub wrote: »
    I can't recall ever seeing it being done at home or in others houses. I heard of some in threads here years ago doing it as the chicken had faeces on it.

or many possibly did it in a non dangerous way, well aware of the contamination risks.

OK..possibly they were aware of salmonella and possibly they weren't.
    I really don't see the issue with the general public being warned not to wash raw chicken and splash very dangers bacteria all over the place for no reason.
    There's no 'non dangerous' way to wash raw chicken. It's a pointless and silly thing to do. It leaves bacteria all over the sink for no reason whatsoever.
    It's a pretty petty thing to be making smart comments about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,740 ✭✭✭Xterminator

look this discussion about washing a chicken is silly. for years the advice was to wash chicken before cooking, and there are benefits. Today's advice is not to was as the risks outweigh the benefits.

As we didnt have an apocalypse then; we can infer that washing your chicken is not akin to taking the pin out of a hand grenade.

If the chicken has sweated significantly, by all means wash it carefully - making sure you don't cross contaminate surfaces, utensils etc, and wash surfaces & hands immediately when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,984 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Appears Tesco had a big problem with this Tesco UK mostly

Tesco apologises after dozens of UK customers complain of 'rancid' Christmas turkeys http://jrnl.ie/3771057

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭CeilingFly

listermint wrote: »
    Appears Tesco had a big problem with this Tesco UK mostly

Tesco apologises after dozens of UK customers complain of 'rancid' Christmas turkeys http://jrnl.ie/3771057

no, a very minor problem, but because a few twitterers threw it up on twitter the sensationalist hysterical medie creat a story over it.

Rememebr there are very few real journalists in newspapers anymore and probably none workign over christms, so the interns look at twitter and facebook and come up with the most god awful sensationalist sh1te and some people then believe it as a "major issue"

At a guess Tesco sold about 5 million Turkeys last week - about 4 people went on twitter to say they had issues. And in 4 different parts of the country and 4 totally different turkey products.

The intern second rate journalists then take the twitter comments as gospel and create a sensational headline.

And that's why the number of people buying papers has dwindled so quickly - cos what is written is utter rubbish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

CeilingFly wrote: »
    no, a very minor problem, but because a few twitterers threw it up on twitter the sensationalist hysterical medie creat a story over it.

Rememebr there are very few real journalists in newspapers anymore and probably none workign over christms, so the interns look at twitter and facebook and come up with the most god awful sensationalist sh1te and some people then believe it as a "major issue"

At a guess Tesco sold about 5 million Turkeys last week - about 4 people went on twitter to say they had issues. And in 4 different parts of the country and 4 totally different turkey products.

The intern second rate journalists then take the twitter comments as gospel and create a sensational headline.

And that's why the number of people buying papers has dwindled so quickly - cos what is written is utter rubbish
    I accept is was a small percentage but Tesco, on the BBC say they sold hundreds of thousands of turkeys, not millions let alone 5 million. And 'dozens of customers' were affected, not 4. And all were full turkeys, in this report, not 4 different products.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 960 ✭✭✭flaneur

You should put your cloths into a pot and boil for around 5 minutes after dealing with raw chicken.

If you don't have a dishwasher throw the utensils you used into it too.

A dishwasher generally uses harsher detergent with protein denaturing enzymes and peroxide type bleaches and it holds the dishes at 75° for a good long time. Very little could survive that.

I accept is was a small percentage but Tesco, on the BBC say they sold hundreds of thousands of turkeys, not millions let alone 5 million. And 'dozens of customers' were affected, not 4. And all were full turkeys, in this report, not 4 different products.

Yep, got the number wrong. - Thinks of overall population rather than family units.

10 million Turkeys sold at xmas. Tesco have 28% of the grocery market. Allowing for butchers, Tesco sold about 1 million turkeys.

I saw three totally different product mentioned in the twitter report. A turkey crown in a foil tray, a fresh turkey and a one where they cooked the turkey without taking giblets out. (can't blame tesco for plain stupidity)

Only 4 were mentioned in the article.

Even if it was a dozen - out of 1 million? Storm in a sensationalist teacup

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

look this discussion about washing a chicken is silly. for years the advice was to wash chicken before cooking, and there are benefits. Today's advice is not to was as the risks outweigh the benefits.

As we didnt have an apocalypse then; we can infer that washing your chicken is not akin to taking the pin out of a hand grenade.

If the chicken has sweated significantly, by all means wash it carefully
    - making sure you don't cross contaminate surfaces, utensils etc, and wash surfaces & hands immediately when finished.

Where did this advice come from?

What's this about chicken sweating now?

Yep, got the number wrong. - Thinks of overall population rather than family units.

10 million Turkeys sold at xmas. Tesco have 28% of the grocery market. Allowing for butchers, Tesco sold about 1 million turkeys.

I saw three totally different product mentioned in the twitter report. A turkey crown in a foil tray, a fresh turkey and a one where they cooked the turkey without taking giblets out. (can't blame tesco for plain stupidity)

Only 4 were mentioned in the article.

Even if it was a dozen - out of 1 million? Storm in a sensationalist teacup
    Not to be pedantic but it was clearly stated by Tesco themselves as dozens (plural) of cases of full fresh turkeys out of hundreds of thousands - not a million. But you seem to remain determined to overly downplay the issue, which is admittedly a small proportion but not as small as your off the cuff calculations.

Not to be pedantic but it was clearly stated by Tesco themselves as dozens (plural) of cases of full fresh turkeys out of hundreds of thousands - not a million. But you seem to remain determined to overly downplay the issue, which is admittedly a small proportion but not as small as your off the cuff calculations.

"hundreds of thousands" lets not be pedantic, probably close to a million based on their market share.

I did a Google search on "news" items. Several news outlets carry the story - funny thing is. EVERY story is identical in every media.

Storm in a teacup - brits love whining, they look for any excuse for a whine

"hundreds of thousands" lets not be pedantic, probably close to a million based on their market share.

I did a Google search on "news" items. Several news outlets carry the story - funny thing is. EVERY story is identical in every media.

Storm in a teacup - brits love whining, they look for any excuse for a whine

Glad you feel you know more of the facts than Tesco's own spokesperson today. Never let facts stand in the way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 273 ✭✭Vronsky

aabarnes1 wrote: »
    Pre ordered a fresh free range bird from my local butcher a couple of days ago and collected it early Christmas eve, straight home into the fridge, (less than 10 mins).
    Opened the bag it came in Christmas morning, only to met by a strong smell akin to rotten eggs. I was a bit concerned, the colour and texture looked ok
    so I thoroughly washed the bird and roasted for 200 minutes at 175c, still smelled a bit 'sour' after it cooled down so didn't eat it. Xmas dinner ruined.
    What are my options please if any one knows, I can't find much info regarding butchers shops. There was no sell by or use by on the bag.
    Thanks in advance.:mad:
    What is the difference between ordering and pre-ordering?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,447 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Either rinse the knife (and chopping board) with boiling water before you take the sponge to them, or sterilise the sponge after use. Unless you want to just spread the bacteria onto the next dishes you wash?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Right posters - chicken handling techniques are not within the remit of this forum. And let’s leave the Tesco news out of it also, as this is not the scenario in which the OP finds himself

Let’s stick to offering advice to the OP.

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,085 ✭✭✭CollyFlower

I would have taken it out of the bag when I got it home, just to have a look and get rid of the giblets.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭upandcumming

I was just reading a story about free range the other day and they way farmers here get around the requirements, sham is all it is.
    And a farce!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,277 ✭✭✭km991148

I have just suffered through 4 pages of spelling corrections, chicken washing advice, advice on how to not clean a knife like a moron but the one thing missing is..

OP - Did you get a refund on yer smelly chicken?!?! I feel I need to know now!!

Advertisement