Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It's now five days how long will it take the FA to sort out the Firmino incident?

We signed the best English player Arsenal had already no need to go back their unless it's for Sanchez.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

We don' really need a replacement for Coutinho in terms of numbers. We have plenty of good senior players at the moment, Lallana coming back essentially "replaces" (not the right word as he's nowhere near as good) Coutinho for the rest of this season as we went for the first half of the season without him.

Ox is another player who was used sparingly in the first half who should come to the fore a bit more.

So numbers-wise we're fine.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no point forcing through a move and overpaying for a player who it would be very questionable whether they would be a significant improvement.

We still have a front 3 of a very high standard, and some decent back up in Studge, Solanke, Ings or options in Lallana and Ox too.

I'm not at all trying to downplay the effect of Cout leaving and saying "everything's fine", moreso saying that we don't have a thin squad and the players who will come in to take his place either in the front 3 or mid 3 will be of decent quality.

Unless we can be sure we're significantly upgrading on that decent quality we should bide our time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Morzadec wrote: »
    We don' really need a replacement for Coutinho in terms of numbers. We have plenty of good senior players at the moment, Lallana coming back essentially "replaces" (not the right word as he's nowhere near as good) Coutinho for the rest of this season as we went for the first half of the season without him.

Ox is another player who was used sparingly in the first half who should come to the fore a bit more.

So numbers-wise we're fine.

What I'm trying to say is that there's no point forcing through a move and overpaying for a player who it would be very questionable whether they would be a significant improvement.

We still have a front 3 of a very high standard, and some decent back up in Studge, Solanke, Ings or options in Lallana and Ox too.

I'm not at all trying to downplay the effect of Cout leaving and saying "everything's fine", moreso saying that we don't have a thin squad and the players who will come in to take his place either in the front 3 or mid 3 will be of decent quality.

Unless we can be sure we're significantly upgrading on that decent quality we should bide our time.

We're far shorter on quality, though, and we're in a real fight to hold on to a Top 4 place with 4 other teams, none of whom have weakened themselves (yet) over the transfer window.
    Someone posted on here that they hope that every time we fail to score or break down an obdurate defence Coutinho's name won't be invoked - point is though, by selling him (and by not replacing him this window), we're naturally going to lack exactly what genius Coutinho offered.
    He also seemed in tune with Salah and Firmino and so that's gone also, not to mention the attention he received from other teams which afforded our other 3 creative forces more room in which to move.
    I think that not replacing him this window - even if we have to pay a premium for it - would be a mistake we can't afford to make in a race we're just about ahead in.
    No CL next season automatically makes us less of a draw to potential signings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

It's not likely to get a Coutinho "replacement" as he is a dying breed of footballer in this day and age. BUT - we need a different type of Midfielder than we have - Coutinho was completely different than what we have. Can/Milner/Hendo/Gini are all basically the same type, Lallana/Ox are different but we're talking about making passes through the eye of a needle here.

Need a playmaker for sure and it needs to be of that type. Else yes, we'll be sitting here moaning again when we fail to break down defences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's now five days how long will it take the FA to sort out the Firmino incident?

I was listening to one of the the football podcasts on Monday and they had a journalist on who said he'd rung the two clubs on Monday morning and there was no news and the FA told him that they would be contacting the clubs over the next 24 hours (so that leads up to yesterday) to 'ask for their observations'. That's how slowly they're operating at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Can/Milner/Hendo/Gini are all basically the same type, Lallana/Ox are different but we're talking about making passes through the eye of a needle here.

Need a playmaker for sure and it needs to be of that type. Else yes, we'll be sitting here moaning again when we fail to break down defences.
    We'll miss Coutinhos goals from outside the box too

mosstin wrote: »
    We're far shorter on quality, though, and we're in a real fight to hold on to a Top 4 place with 4 other teams, none of whom have weakened themselves (yet) over the transfer window.
    Someone posted on here that they hope that every time we fail to score or break down an obdurate defence Coutinho's name won't be invoked - point is though, by selling him (and by not replacing him this window), we're naturally going to lack exactly what genius Coutinho offered.
    He also seemed in tune with Salah and Firmino and so that's gone also, not to mention the attention he received from other teams which afforded our other 3 creative forces more room in which to move.
    I think that not replacing him this window - even if we have to pay a premium for it - would be a mistake we can't afford to make in a race we're just about ahead in.
    No CL next season automatically makes us less of a draw to potential signings.

I guess my point is that I don't think we can effectively replace him now (or it will be likely very hard).

I totally agree with you about how good he was, conversely this is why I'm advocating being open to the idea of not "replacing" him this window.

What I'm saying is that the type of player we can attract and prize away midseason is likely going to be nearer to Lallana's level than Coutinho's.

Based on this, unless we can confidently look at a player and say they will contribute significantly more straight off the bat than the likes of Lallana then we might be better holding off.

Like we could go out and spunk 50m on Lanzini who would be a Coutinho-esque player in his style, but is that any sort of an upgrade on Lallana?

We should of course sound put top quality targets but midseason, getting a non cup tied CL player that immediately is on par with our front 3 (let's say) or walks into our mid 3, for a non-extortionate price (in this market) might be very hard.

If we have to wait until the summer for a player in this mould then we have the relative quality to cover us until then

It's not likely to get a Coutinho "replacement" as he is a dying breed of footballer in this day and age. BUT - we need a different type of Midfielder than we have - Coutinho was completely different than what we have. Can/Milner/Hendo/Gini are all basically the same type, Lallana/Ox are different but we're talking about making passes through the eye of a needle here.

It's a good point you make.

Big responsibility on Lallana's shoulders I feel, he's the one who comes closest, a player you could term an attacking midfielder and has sone creativity.

I agree the front three are more like "forwards" and the mids you mentioned not really creative players.

I just wonder is it worth overpaying by 15-20m on lemar for example (compared to his summer fee) or taking a punt on a good player but unproven at the top level (like lanzini), or do we pin our hopes on lallana (a very good player when he's fit) and hope that sees us through to the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Klavan did a surprisingly good job while we waited on VVD, but it might be a stretch to think we would get away with it again waiting on Coutinho's replacement.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The "mystery target" finally revealed....

Academy duo have been stalling over the terms they have been offered

Liverpool want Harry Wilson and Ovie Ejaria to sign new deals before loaning them out
    Liverpool are keen to ensure that Harry Wilson and Ovie Ejaria both sign new deals before sending them out on loan this month.

The Academy duo have been stalling over the contract extensions offered to them as they consider their options.

However, the Reds want both Wilson and Ejaria to put pen to paper before sanctioning temporary moves away until the end of the season.

Neither player has made the matchday squad under Jurgen Klopp so far this term and they are keen to gain first-team experience elsewhere rather than continue to feature for Liverpool Under-23s between now and May. A number of Championship clubs have registered their interest.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-want-harry-wilson-ovie-14137671

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

They FA really need to do something with the U23's. There are so many talented players that just plateau instead of being able to compete and improve in proper competitive football matches.

Xabi Alonso reveals his desire to manage former club Liverpool
    Speaking to Guillem Balague, former Liverpool midfielder Xabi Alonso reveals that he hopes to become manager at Anfield but admits Steven Gerrard should take charge of the club first.

https://twitter.com/talksport/status/951174317127090178

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/john-giles-liverpools-philippe-coutinho-cashin-is-proof-theyre-no-longer-a-big-club-36476850.html

Liverpool did not do everything in their power to keep Coutinho. They owned his contract. All they had to do was to refuse to sell him.

Now that would have been doing everything in their power to keep him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

When Klopp’s time does eventually come to an end I hope he walks away before all the media and knuckle draggers turn on him and start clamouring for Gerrard to get it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

https://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/premier-league/liverpool/john-giles-liverpools-philippe-coutinho-cashin-is-proof-theyre-no-longer-a-big-club-36476850.html

Liverpool did not do everything in their power to keep Coutinho. They owned his contract. All they had to do was to refuse to sell him.

Now that would have been doing everything in their power to keep him.

To keep Cout there he would poison morale in the dressing room, its better to let him leave on semi-good terms rather than sulk until June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Anyone download the Ace Stream thingy from Reddit?

Watching Chelsea v Arsenal and its a perfect picture, I generally just used the links on the reddit soccer page but I decided to download this and see whats its like.

Well impressed so far but its early days.

EDIT: There's Wilshire gone off injured in HD.

Someone on this thread jinxed Jack good call :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

And like clockwork there goes wilshere

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

brevity wrote: »
    They FA really need to do something with the U23's. There are so many talented players that just plateau instead of being able to compete and improve in proper competitive football matches.

They tinker with it, what's needed is what the FA will not countenance - U21 (not u23) sides in a proper league. This is understandable as the implications for the current structure are huge. But without it too many young players at big sides are not going to get developed. Loans are just too haphazard, the other issue for me is bloated under age squads, they need slimming down to no more than 20 players per age group including loans. The current u18s has nearly 30 which suggests a fair few makeweights even at that age.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Turtyturd wrote: »
    When Klopp’s time does eventually come to an end I hope he walks away before all the media and knuckle draggers turn on him and start clamouring for Gerrard to get it.

Yea agree, don't forget the twatterati too, they'll hound him, serious knuckle draggers there.

I look forward to the day the legend Stevie takes over, hopefully after Klopp wins the league.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Anyone download the Ace Stream thingy from Reddit?

Watching Chelsea v Arsenal and its a perfect picture, I generally just used the links on the reddit soccer page but I decided to download this and see whats its like.

Well impressed so far but its early days.

EDIT: There's Wilshire gone off injured in HD.

I'll bet in HD, you could probably see his very soul leave his body as he limped off injured?

Lacazette has been terrible any game I've seen him. Some fans were waxing lyrical about him, I've seen nothing from him yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

https://twitter.com/LFCZA/status/951029246293667840

Personally think it's Julian Brandt or perhaps Teixera.

I can confirm I am NOT the mystery man.

I'll bet in HD, you could probably see his very soul leave his body as he limped off injured?

It wasn't his first time on the ground during the game, but funnily he was actually playing alright before going off.

Yeah we were talking about that this morning.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yea agree, don't forget the twatterati too, they'll hound him, serious knuckle draggers there.

I look forward to the day the legend Stevie takes over, hopefully after Klopp wins the league.

Personally, i hope Sturridge gets the job.

But that sounds like something the mystery man would say.

Lacazette has been terrible any game I've seen him. Some fans were waxing lyrical about him, I've seen nothing from him yet.

Terrible might be over the top, but yeah I haven't seen anything too special from him.

If you take into account Morata and Lukaku's recent woes, really what looked at first to big 3 huge signings for our rivals are all pretty questionable.

Turns out none of them are near Kane's bracket.

At least when Firmino is going through a dry spell he's contributing in other areas.

There was definitely a reem of posts early season where we were lamenting our lack of a true 9 and envying our rivals, very different slant on it now.

This is insufferable ****. Ultimately it means that we have to wade through this window, and quite possibly the summer window of no-mark Twitter ITKs feeding on people's desire to reveal the identity of this player.
    I've seen Brandt a few times and he's never stood out remotely as far as I'm concerned. Small sample admittedly - probably about 5 games.

• Advertisement

DTL9tsxXcAARsk8.jpg:large

At least Mignolet can have a laugh unlike some posters on the internet.
    Come on guys, I have read this one before... You're wittier than that, aren't you? ��

https://twitter.com/SMignolet/status/951194901919813634

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Morzadec wrote: »
    Terrible might be over the top, but yeah I haven't seen anything too special from him.

If you take into account Morata and Lukaku's recent woes, really what looked at first to big 3 huge signings for our rivals are all pretty questionable.

Turns out none of them are near Kane's bracket.

At least when Firmino is going through a dry spell he's contributing in other areas.

There was definitely a reem of posts early season where we were lamenting our lack of a true 9 and envying our rivals, very different slant on it now.

Yeah, honestly, at this stage I'd have Firmino over almost any other centre forward in the league. The two i'd probably have ahead of him are Kane and Gabriel Jesus as both bring what Firmino does in terms of workrate and link up play, but with more goals. Aguero maybe in certain circumstances, but I think Firmino would still start a lot of games ahead of him as what you gain in goal threat you lose in terms of attacking cohesion in the front 3. Aguero's not going to be making selfless runs to vacate space and draw attention away from Salah's sprint into the box to finish. Much in the same way that Pep has often chosen to start Jesus over Aguero, to bring Sterling, De Bruyne and Sane more into a game.

At least Mignolet can have a laugh unlike some posters on the internet.
    [/URL]

I think we'd all be laughing earning his kind of salary:)

Remember Adam Morgan? That Adam Morgan?

Signed today for Sligo Rovers. Still only 23. Not easy being an academy graduate.

This is insufferable ****. Ultimately it means that we have to wade through this window, and quite possibly the summer window of no-mark Twitter ITKs feeding on people's desire to reveal the identity of this player.
    I've seen Brandt a few times and he's never stood out remotely as far as I'm concerned. Small sample admittedly - probably about 5 games.

I agree, this is manna from heaven for the usual collection of bul**** merchants. But it is good to see the club tighten up on the information they are feeding the press, they invariably made themselves look silly if a deal fell through.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Remember Adam Morgan? That Adam Morgan?

Signed today for Sligo Rovers. Still only 23. Not easy being an academy graduate.

He's peaked now, signing for the northwest powerhouse, the bit o'red.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Here's one for Agent Coulson and the likes.

https://twitter.com/_keef1985/status/950871800174530560

Bild and Kicker are reporting Red Bull will let Keita leave this month for the right money.

Bascombe is reporting that the club want to keep Fun Bobby till the end of his career.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Seems like Liverpool are trying to get Keita in January.

• Advertisement

Bild and Kicker are reporting Red Bull will let Keita leave this month for the right money.

Bascombe is reporting that the club want to keep Fun Bobby till the end of his career.

I approve of this message :)

Even if he is cup-tied like Coutinho for Barca he can provide rotation cover and get used to the Prem before having a rest in the summer. That said hard to see why the club would let him unless they know they can raid RB Salzburg for someone good :)

I approve of this message :)

Even if he is cup-tied like Coutinho for Barca he can provide rotation cover and get used to the Prem before having a rest in the summer. That said hard to see why the club would let him unless they know they can raid RB Salzburg for someone good :)

I thought that about Coutinho.

I thought that about Coutinho.

Ha, well it's not quite the same now - Liverpool had an agreement with Keita and Leipzig.

That said maybe it's all part of a bigger story of moving pieces around the board that been going on since last summer. A quiet agreement that Couts will leave in January for the right price and that Keita will join for an extra payment if all parties agree it's possible in the winter window.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

We'll likely end up paying about 75 million apiece for Keita & Van Dijk....thats crazy tbh. 0_0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How much more would everyone be ok with Liverpool paying for a player we own?

I wouldn't even have a clue. €2m?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Grayditch wrote:

Add a zero. Honestly RB are like us fighting for a top 4 spot & know we're in a spot of bother to even ask to get him in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Anyone think that the mystery man could perhaps be Mahmoud Dahoud?

Dont know how hes got on since he signed for Dortmund.

Grayditch wrote: »

If we need to pay £10 million for him I'd have no problem with it. We need a lift after losing Coutinho.

Grayditch wrote: »

Well if Baby Keith raises the likelihood of CL qualification from 50% to 80% then 20m would not be excessive given the value and just as important the prestige of playing in that. Becoming a regular again would help keep players already at the club.

Ha, well it's not quite the same now - Liverpool had an agreement with Keita and Leipzig.

That said maybe it's all part of a bigger story of moving pieces around the board that been going on since last summer. A quiet agreement that Couts will leave in January for the right price and that Keita will join for an extra payment if all parties agree it's possible in the winter window.

Barca flexed their guns and gave us a few nuggies and we parted with Phil. Liverpool should give Leipzig a titty twister and a wedgie, I feel that should work.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement