Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Did we not pay £48m plus an early fee of what is probably around £10-15m or so.

Paying another 10 seems a bit mad. I know he's needed and all, but he is CL tied.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Apparently it could reach €60m depending on how Leipzig finished in the league, anyway. Consider CL football is worth at least 30m, and whatever else in actual non tv revenue value, I think paying extra for Keita now is worth it.

Rather 10m now than a stop gap player.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Grayditch wrote: »

Paying another 10 seems a bit mad. I know he's needed and all, but he is CL tied.

Liverpool have money coming out of their ears - think of this as just spending the Coutinho disloyalty clause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

How much more would everyone be ok with Liverpool paying for a player we own?

I wouldn't even have a clue. €2m?

RBL looking for just under €15M or so apparently to let him leave now according to the Echo.

10m. I guess I'm in.

I get first pick in Fantasy Football Draft league, so he'll be mine.

Also I'm all for
    Baby Keith
    being a regular thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I think the club have to do it.

Not only do we need him but if i was Naby Keita and found out the club had a chance of bringing me to Anfield early and not doing it, well i would be very pissed off. He seems to be not enjoying his football at the moment.

Please don't let him be sh1te. Please don't let him get a red card in the first 20 mins.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,042 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

I'd be grand with another around 10m pounds I think...

The biggest reason for having him is establishing CL football next year. I'm fine with the squad we have this year in it really, but it could be invaluable having an always fit and fresh guy like him coming into the team after CL fixtures (if we manage more than 2 that is of course!)

We have the slight edge over Arsenal and Spurs for 4th right now... anything that increases that is a good thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

ricero wrote: »
    but if i was Naby Keita and found out the club had a chance of bringing me to Anfield early and not doing it, well i would be very pissed off.

You should give tai chi a go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It is the cheapest way out of the problem. Cheapest for owners too.
    I think the 23m we paid to Southampton for Vicky Van Dicky came out of Liverpool, and the 105m we got for Coutinho went into the owners account.

• Advertisement

10m. I guess I'm in.

I get first pick in Fantasy Football Draft league, so he'll be mine.

Also I'm all for

being a regular thing.

It's all he's called on the Liverpool subreddit after a few misfortunate autocorrects. I love it.

Someone even photoshopped that photo of Mane with the baby to be Keita's face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

ricero wrote: »
    I think the club have to do it.

Not only do we need him but if i was Naby Keita and found out the club had a chance of bringing me to Anfield early and not doing it, well i would be very pissed off. He seems to be not enjoying his football at the moment.

If he's that desperate to join us, there is nothing stopping him getting a Credit Union loan and doing a Coutinho.

Let's bring him home, so. Home for the first time. Like a baby.

Baby Keith.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Charlie19 wrote: »
    If he's that desperate to join us, there is nothing stopping him getting a Credit Union loan and doing a Coutinho.

He's too young to get a loan. He's only a baby.

Baby Keith.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

He's too young to get a loan. He's only a baby.

Baby Keith.

Go on.. You deserve it.

200.gif#16-grid1

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Think this could catch on :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Personally think it's Julian Brandt or perhaps Teixera.

I can confirm I am NOT the mystery man.
    Brandt might be more receptive to a move now because he has fallen down the roster for the national team. Leverkusen are probably not so keen to lose the player though because there are so many teams competing for the European places in the Bundesliga this season.

I was ready to be filled with empathetic dread for the fella, but actually, I quite like that video. particularly "...but that don't matter at all actually, cause we've got..."

Why doesn't he say...

Salah,
    Oh, Mane Mane.
    We sold Coutinho,
    But we've got Firmino.

• Advertisement

Why doesn't he say...

Salah,
    Oh, Mane Mane.
    We sold Coutinho,
    But we've got Firmino.

I have a lot of questions for that man. This would be down the list, somewhat.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Johnny Giles really seems to have a chip on his shoulder with Liverpool. His article last week was complete nonsense, claiming that Klopp letting Mane and Salah go back for the African awards two days before an fa cup match was the single biggest insult a manager has made to the tournament since United not playing in it. I could list off a dozen cases of PL teams resting far more players than that over the last two seasons (even before we consider the fact that Salah is injured and Mane played the full match).

His new article claims selling Coutinho proves we are no longer a big club. Pretty sure he wrote the exact same thing post Suarez. God knows what is a big club (big what??) but the only difference between this and United / Ronaldo is 6 months and about £100m, no doubt United are a “big club” though.

The man really doesn’t seem to enjoy football, watching it or playing it and finds almost nothing to complement in the modern game. It was entertaining when Dunphy was needling him on TV but it’s just kind of sad now. Legend of the game still though.

Johnny Giles really seems to have a chip on his shoulder with Liverpool. His article last week was complete nonsense, claiming that Klopp letting Mane and Salah go back for the African awards two days before an fa cup match was the single biggest insult a manager has made to the tournament since United not playing in it. I could list off a dozen cases of PL teams resting far more players than that over the last two seasons (even before we consider the fact that Salah is injured and Mane played the full match).

His new article claims selling Coutinho proves we are no longer a big club. Pretty sure he wrote the exact same thing post Suarez. God knows what is a big club (big what??) but the only difference between this and United / Ronaldo is 6 months and about £100m, no doubt United are a “big club” though.

The man really doesn’t seem to enjoy football, watching it or playing it and finds almost nothing to complement in the modern game. It was entertaining when Dunphy was needling him on TV but it’s just kind of sad now. Legend of the game still though.

I think his reading of the game, in the here and now, when he's watching, is still excellent. But any time he has a general opinion about the greater world of football, he's a disaster unfortunately.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    I'd be grand with another around 10m pounds I think...
    RB Leipzig had a €58M debt for the 2016 season, it's reported in Germany that they need to reduce their debt level by €17-20M now to meet UEFA's FFP regulations.

It could be that Liverpool have offered the £10M of the additional transfer fee clause but Leipzig need more than that. £10M is roughly €12M at the moment so Liverpool may be paying an additional £5-9M to get the transfer completed now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

If Coutinho was happy at Liverpool and Barca came in with this huge offer which the club accepted and let Coutinho know he was free to talk to Barca, then he may have a point. But of course, we know that's not the case.

Were Liverpool no longer a big club when Keegan left for Hamburg or when Souness left for Sampdoria or when Rush left for Juventus etc?

Players come and players go. That's football.

Johnny Giles really seems to have a chip on his shoulder with Liverpool.
    He doesn't like Klopp's style of play.

He said on Newstalk that the transfer fee for Van Dijk was a sign of desperation from the manager because he failed to fix the defence in his two years at the club. His prediction was that Van Dijk will be poorly coached and as a result will be another poor defender at the club.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Think it's time he got a new contract...

Joyce-y passed on my feelings to the club, and they've responded in kind.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/firmino-in-line-for-new-deal-at-liverpool-pgt9wt5g7

"Firmino in line for new deal at Liverpool"

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

monkey9 wrote:
    Players come and players go. That's football.

I would say that better players tend to want to leave our club more often now.
    You had Alonso, Mash, Torres, Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho.
    If Coutinho was at City or even United I doubt he'd be allowed leave in January. Pep or Jose would have a coronary about it.
    I wonder how a Salah or Firmino feel seeing that happen after the boost of signing Van Dijk.
    We are scrambling now to get in Keita early which shows we didn't think too far ahead last summer when Coutinho wanted to go.
    I seen tweets earlier about our scouting network are working & I wonder at what?
    Ox, Van Dijk & Keita all came in and we paid big money for all 3 so I wonder what the plan is this summer.
    Identify a target. If the player doesn't reject us pay the fee no matter how much it costs. We got Salah for a snip in hindsight but those other 3 we paid the max value for which for Liverpool is probably not sustainable long term.
    While Giles stopped caring long ago I can't say I feel confident in the current trajectory we're fighting for a top 4 finish. It's better than it was being 7th but we need to keep our best players & turf out shyte like Mignolet, Karius & Lovren

Talisman wrote: »
    His prediction was that Van Dijk will be poorly coached and as a result will be another poor defender at the club.

That's still a fair concern.

Well... Not that he's concerned.

ERG89 wrote: »
    I would say that better players tend to want to leave our club more often now.
    You had Alonso, Mash, Torres, Suarez, Sterling, Coutinho.
    If Coutinho was at City or even United I doubt he'd be allowed leave in January. Pep or Jose would have a coronary about it.
    I wonder how a Salah or Firmino feel seeing that happen after the boost of signing Van Dijk.
    We are scrambling now to get in Keita early which shows we didn't think too far ahead last summer when Coutinho wanted to go.
    I seen tweets earlier about our scouting network are working & I wonder at what?
    Ox, Van Dijk & Keita all came in and we paid big money for all 3 so I wonder what the plan is this summer.
    Identify a target. If the player doesn't reject us pay the fee no matter how much it costs. We got Salah for a snip in hindsight but those other 3 we paid the max value for which for Liverpool is probably not sustainable long term.
    While Giles stopped caring long ago I can't say I feel confident in the current trajectory we're fighting for a top 4 finish. It's better than it was being 7th but we need to keep our best players & turf out shyte like Mignolet, Karius & Lovren

Jeez, I wouldn't use Jose as an example of the right way to go about things... sure he might force the player to stay, but he's the king of having his attacking players performances drop from disillusionment/dissatisfaction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Thinking of doing the West Brom FA cup game. Anyone got an idea as to when they announce when it is on? I'm imagining it will be the Saturday as we have a game the Monday before and the Tuesday after.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Thinking of doing the West Brom FA cup game. Anyone got an idea as to when they announce when it is on? I'm imagining it will be the Saturday as we have a game the Monday before and the Tuesday after.

Could see it being another Friday BBC game if that’s the case.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Could see it being another Friday BBC game if that’s the case.

It's tricky one to judge but you could be right. I'm trying to beat the airlines which is a game within itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

His new article claims selling Coutinho proves we are no longer a big club.
    How is he defining a big club?

I mean we don’t have the money from private backers like Man C, Chelsea or PSG (but a far greater history than all of those combined).

We don’t have the revenues of Utd (who are hundreds of millions in debt), Real (who’ve had bank debts wiped out by the state) or Barca (who hit on a kid called Messi and grew from there).

Yes, we have sold some of best players; but only to Real/Barca/City (and losing players to Barca/Real isn’t confined to us).

We remain one of the biggest clubs in the World in terms of fans, revenues, trophies won....and just like in the case of Giles himself, those who say we’re not a big club, they can’t stop talking about us.

I respect Giles knowledge of the game, he still calls a lot of the stuff correctly. But he’s been out of football for an awful long time, and he still judges a lot of stuff based on experiences prior to the 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

murpho999 wrote: »
    Latest Tweet from Paul Joyce saying Keita won't be coming this month.

https://twitter.com/____PauIJoyce/status/951374479015464960

another boards member fooled by a fake account lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

So the German media are saying we can get Keith for €10-15m, and the local Liverpool journos are saying we're not interested?

This is not how I thought this would go.

Edit: God damn fake accounts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,662 ✭✭✭Luckycharms_74

Latest Tweet from Paul Joyce saying Keita won't be coming this month.

https://twitter.com/____PauIJoyce/status/951374479015464960
    MD1990 wrote: »

How sad are people to actually create a fake account and post sh1t :confused:

There was a lad from a popular Liverpool podcast tweeting completely made-up stories for sh*ts and giggles on deadline day in August.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

MD1990 wrote: »

Yep: hands up, got caught by that one.

Tweet looked the part and Joyce's account is not verified and I did not check it properly.

Aplogies for that. I have deleted my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Sappy404 wrote: »
    There was a lad from a popular Liverpool podcast tweeting completely made-up stories for sh*ts and giggles on deadline day in August.

Some men just want to watch the world burn.

Who was that, just in case I follow him & know to unfollow?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

I sincerely hope we are not shelling out 10-15million to get Keita early. Sounds insane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Does anyone care what that dinosaur says?

FitzShane wrote: »
    Who was that, just in case I follow him & know to unfollow?

This fella. Said he was going to be a fake ITK for a few days. I'm sure he had a great time.

https://twitter.com/stevosideways/status/902541053642907648

https://twitter.com/stevosideways/status/903230423899222016

https://twitter.com/stevosideways/status/902664916020187140

Very sad. Must have nothing to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Does anyone care what that dinosaur says?

Must do, seeing as it's generated a lot of comment on here. Also he's on Newstalk quite a bit and has a newspaper slot, so it does appear that some care.
    A bit disrespectful calling him a dinosaur to be honest.
    Personally, I don't really pay much heed to what he says but I like him all the same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I sincerely hope we are not shelling out 10-15million to get Keita early. Sounds insane

Why not ? We just got 146 million for coutinho and keita is quality and will improve our team.

This frugile mindset from some lfc fans needs to change.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why is it insane?

If we had paid €60m to get him last summer then no one would have minded.

I don't get why people worry so much about transfer fees.

Can people realise that Liverpool are very very wealthy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Why is it insane?

If we had paid €60m to get him last summer then no one would have minded.

I don't get why people worry so much about transfer fees.

Can people realise that Liverpool are very very wealthy?

This.

The way the transfer market is right now why are people worried. The club has the money to pay for the targets it wants.

Sometimes we get a great deal like Salah, sometimes we have to pay a lot more to get what the manager wants.

The most important thing right now is that we are seeing the club pay what's necessary to get the player that the manager wants.

I think it is ideal getting Keita in early.

We got him at a decent price because of his release clause considering what Lazio want for Miinkovic- Savic (100m+)

We won't have to overpay for another player in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

West Ham ready to listen to offers for Hernandez can only mean one thing they want another striker.

Ings maybe.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Important aspect Coutinho brought was his dribbling, he'd picked up the ball in midfield and run at a couple players. Keita is meant to be the best dribbler in the Bundesliga so he will offer that.

Get it done pay the money, he is a player Klopp desperately wanted it seems, its going to look like Coutinho will pay for VVD and Keita. If both can be key starters and irreplaceable in their positions then we will have done well.

It would be good to have VVD and Keita settled in the side in preparation for a title challenge next season.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement