Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Who would u drop ? Mane, Slaah or Boby ?
    For us to pay that money he'd have to be starting every week, City have the cash that they can afford to pay that and sit him on the bench if they like,

Talk of starting eleven's is less and less relevant these days. More than enough game time to get all 4 playing, having one of them on the bench would be a tremendous option.

On current form though I suppose I would slot him in at Left Forward in place of Mane

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Am I right in thinking Sanchez would be cup tied due to playing in the EL?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Sanchez is almost 30. I'd say his priorities now are

A. One last massive payday
    B. Pick up some handy medals

I don't see us offering either to him.

A. That's up to us if we want to match the big boys. How much was Coutinho on? 150k? I absolutely agree it's probably unrealistic to expect us to match these wages, but from the clubs perspective it's surely doable

B. We could persuade him that we could do that and he would be centrally involved in it rather than possibly a bit part

I definitely agree it's a long shot for both the reasons you outlined but I think we should at least try and be in the conversation, especially if United think they can attract him (i.e. if United, why not us?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

D'Agger wrote: »
    Doing the best we can doesn't equate to buying immediately in this window though Murph. You say too many accountants here, I say too many people who forget the dross we bought with the Torres & Suarez money.

Sure, we can trust Klopp with the players he wants to bring in, but we should trust him moreso as a coach who will achieve top 4 - which is the top priority of his role at the club.

Coutihno going presents a risk to Top 4 ambitions, but that doesn't mean immediately trying to replace him is the solution. I trust Klopp to get top 4 and in the same vein I trust him & the club to get in the right replacements, when the time comes.

If it's possible to bring Keita, who wants to be at the club, then it's right that the club should attempt to do so.

He will improve our team as it has been weakened by Coutinho's departure.

Fans should not be worried about the money. The club, which is financially well managed will do that.

I don't forget the money we wasted on Carroll but in the same window we bought Suarez.

Suarez money wasted on Lovren and Markovic but we also got Lallana who has done well.

We got Salah at a bargain price.

If we were to follow many people's logic here we would not have Salah or van Dijk.

I have no problem if Klopp has identified the likes of Lemar, and is prepared to wait till the summer, but if available now, go for it. Just like Keita.

Also, I want Klopp's future top priority to be winning leagues and Champion's league, not just getting top 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

The big draw (apart from the huge wages of course) of going to City in January is that you are virtually guaranteeing yourself a league medal.

Also, as far as I know Sanchez would be eligible for CL, even though he's played in the EL. Open to correction on that, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

daheff wrote: »
    Wonder if Moreno will like a move back to Athletico now that phil has left??

Moreno came from Sevilla

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Vicxas wrote:
    At 27 million why not chuck Arsenal 35M and at least put out name in.

40 million & one pound!
    Don't want him just bid for utter spite to everyone else involved nothing else
    shamrock55 wrote:
    Jose wouldn't know what to do with Sanchez if he got him

What are you on about? :confused:
    They have wanted a new left back for a while now :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Liverpool should agree to Can's terms, we can then sell at 20m. I dunno why they don't just give him what he wants and then sell him cheap in summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

murpho999 wrote: »
    If it's possible to bring Keita, who wants to be at the club, then it's right that the club should attempt to do so.

He will improve our team as it has been weakened by Coutinho's departure.

Fans should not be worried about the money. The club, which is financially well managed will do that.

I don't forget the money we wasted on Carroll but in the same window we bought Suarez.

Suarez money wasted on Lovren and Markovic but we also got Lallana who has done well.

We got Salah at a bargain price.

If we were to follow many people's logic here we would not have Salah or van Dijk.

I have no problem if Klopp has identified the likes of Lemar, and is prepared to wait till the summer, but if available now, go for it. Just like Keita.

Also, I want Klopp's future top priority to be winning leagues and Champion's league, not just getting top 4.

I'd be for getting Keita in early too fwiw for a few bob but I trust JK to get the job done regardless. I think hastily purchasing any other players should be held off on. You're correct on Suarez & Lallana but we've about a 33% success rate from spending windfalls - you'll never get 100, but if we take our time then I also trust JK & the club to get who we need, whether that's now or summer.

I also think we've plenty of time this month to complete business, some posters seem to think we need to leg it to the shop buy quickly, I dunno, I'm fairly relaxed about it whatever way it goes.

World cup this summer means that transfers might be a balls to complete too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

gimli2112 wrote: »
    Ya Ya is still at City 3 years on from CakeGate
    with a nice payrise after it
    x43r0 wrote: »
    Moreno came from Sevilla
    sorry ...you are correct...my bad. all dem spanish clubs be the same to me. :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Sanchez refused to join us before, I don't see any point in trying to change his mind now. The last few transfers, vvd, chamberlain and keita are all players who have let it be known they would be interested in joining Liverpool. I don't see the club chasing players who have their mind set on joining other clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool should agree to Can's terms, we can then sell at 20m. I dunno why they don't just give him what he wants and then sell him cheap in summer.

It sets a precedent, the club have a zero tolerance on buy out clauses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

daheff wrote: »
    sorry ...you are correct...my bad. all dem spanish clubs be the same to me. :eek:

Partly right you could argue.
    See 2011 - 2013.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alberto_Moreno

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Sanchez is gone to city.

Liverpool should try to get in their replacement (Brandt) as well as Keita but I think it will just be Keita. Pulisic will be the main target then in the summer and the bulk of the Coutinho money will be used to try and get him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

He wants a release clause. It will be a damn sight more than £20m if we agree to it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

noodler wrote: »
    Or too many barstool, instant success children with names on the back of their jerseys wanting the club to spend he moniez at all costs!

You can spin it he other way too!

Instant success?

No League for 28 years.

1 league cup in the last 10 years.

FSG in control over 7 years, Klopp there almost 2.5 years.

That's right it's instant success I'm looking for.

I think you should read my posts again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The whole we don't want to sign Lemar seems to be working.
    AS Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim concedes for the 1st time that he might lose Thomas Lemar this month - a definite change in discourse
    https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/951474200128184320

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Honestly would just let him leave , at least it sends out a message of no release clauses in contracts. If that deal was signed off on then what's to stop fun Bobby, salah , mane and Virgil wanting the same thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Contracts or buy out clauses mean jack anyway cos if a player wants out he's gone either way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

The whole we don't want to sign Lemar seems to be working.

https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/951474200128184320

I see reverse psychology works a charm, might wanna get in there before Arsenal come in with their Sanchez money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

sword1 wrote: »
    Sanchez refused to join us before, I don't see any point in trying to change his mind now. The last few transfers, vvd, chamberlain and keita are all players who have let it be known they would be interested in joining Liverpool. I don't see the club chasing players who have their mind set on joining other clubs.

In fairness, we're a different proposition back then than we are now. I'd say make a quick bid and see what happens - worst case, he says no (although my expectation would be that, even if he was open to a move, City would offer more money)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Does anyone care what that dinosaur says?

I think Giles is wrong in his analysis of the Coutinho sale and the conclusions he draws and I think he's partly motivated by bias (wasn't he originally a Man U player?) and the likely encouraged by his editor to be provocative in order to remain relevant and sell newspapers/clicks but he's often bang on the money especially when he's just sticking to analysis of tactics and player performance.

I think it's very disrespectful as well as pure lazy to use derogatory labels such as "Dinosaur" when referring to one of the greatest Irish players of all time and indeed one of the top players in the English game of all time (I'm talking top 5% of players not the top 5 players) who's opinion is based on a very successful playing and punditry career.

By all means challenge the points hes making but calling him a dinosaur, is that the best you can do? You're not an amoeba yourself are you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I can't for the life of me understand why we aren't trying to get a top keeper in Jan,never mind lemar,mahrez,Sanchez or any these boys,a keeper should be no 1 priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I can't for the life of me understand why we aren't trying to get a top keeper in Jan,never mind lemar,mahrez,Sanchez or any these boys,a keeper should be no 1 priority

Probably too many changes in defence especially with VVD coming in.

Oxford United sign Cameron Brannagan for an undisclosed fee.

https://www.oufc.co.uk/news/2018/january/brannagan-signs/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Speaking of Sanchez going to city and picking up a league medal. To me there would be no glory as a player coming in and getting a metal when it's already won before you got there. At least winning one with is would be an achievement.

Well we have been heavily linked to Alisson this window negotiations do take time for any deal and as we saw with the Salah transfer Roma do like to take time and will probably try to do us over after we did them over with Salah.

So to say we aren't looking for a top keeper is probably wrong.

With migs recent enough contract extension & karius brought in not too long ago I don't think a GK is being deemed a priority

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

So.... Who's Cork's biggest Liverpool fan? You wrote a great song sir.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Farewell then Cameron Brannagan to Oxford United you go
    Another lively midfielder not making the grade it is so
    Disappointing to wave off, not even a loan to soften the blow
    for those of us who foolishly carry a torch for the youth, who's next? Ojo?

E.J. Thribb aged 17 and a half

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Sign Reus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

rob316 wrote: »
    Sign Reus

Sturridge 2.0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

rob316 wrote: »
    Sign Reus

What poem is that from? Is that James Joyce?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

martyos121 wrote: »

Sign Reus,

signed Joyce.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

martyos121 wrote: »

Ode for a left back, think it was Kavanagh actually.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Because he's not a piece of meat and the club knows if they implemented your cunning and subtle plan he might stick two fingers up to them, sit in the reserves picking up his £150,000 a week (you did say to "give him what he wants") and wait until 23:59 on Transfer day deadline in the Summer or next January when the only offer he's prepared to move for is the one Juventus have tabled which in typical Italian league fashion (based on the Aqua and Borini experiences) is a 3 year loan with Liverpool paying 50% of his wages.

How'd ya like them apples? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

4th Round 7:45pm Kick off on Sat 27th on BT

Date Team TV
    14th Jan Man City Sky Sports
    22nd Jan Swansea (a) Sky Sports
    27th Jan WBA BT Sports
    30th Jan Huddersfield (a) BT Sports

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I don't understand going for highly rated players and sticking with ones who have time and time again proved themselves as a liability.

I don't get not going for a keeper when we have the money to. Klopp's loyalty doesn't seem to be returned in confident performances... So...

Why?

A run of 12 wins in league for anyone in top 4 will result in a title race. City's form won't continue, and a defeat is on the cards at Anfield as usual.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We could take it of course. However they've been "last minuting" a lot of their tough games. That's when we switch off.

4805B89100000578-0-image-a-32_1515687952388.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Sanchez choose arsenal over us coz he didn't wanna go to North England ...

Yeaaaaa

Sanchez choose arsenal over us coz he didn't wanna go to North England ...

Yeaaaaa

I don't think anyone believed that for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

4805B89100000578-0-image-a-32_1515687952388.jpg

Van dijk is some unit

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

A run of 12 wins in league for anyone in top 4 will result in a title race. City's form won't continue, and a defeat is on the cards at Anfield as usual.

Have a lie down Toby.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Grayditch wrote:
    I don't get not going for a keeper when we have the money to. Klopp's loyalty doesn't seem to be returned in confident performances... So...

Maybe klopp thinks van djik will instill confidence in the defence and that will stop the keeper thinking that at any moment his defence could leave him in a one on one situation. The defence and keeper take confidence from each other. Changing just one player could fix that whole situation.

Maybe our keepers are sh1t (probably are) but let's give them a chance now with a settled defence. That would be my thinking.

sword1 wrote:

Technically Salah also refused us.

I do agree we shouldn't chase players who don't actually "dream" about playing for Liverpool (players who don't see us as a next step)

First of all I don't see why we would give into Can. He is a very good player who has a bright future but he is on no way a vital member of our squad let alone team. He plays in a position we need to upgrade. I couldn't give a toss if/when he leaves. Sucks we won't get a fee but seriously would he even fetch 30 million? Let him leave.

Secondly I think we have a stronger team now than back in December. We lost Phil and gained Virgil. Our attack was and is still one of the best in the league. Our defence was probably one of if not the worst. We have upgraded our first team even with Phil leaving. If we still had Phil and didn't bring in Virgil I would worry about conceding too many goals but with defence being improved we have a way better chance at staying in the top 4.

Phil's goals might need to be replaced but people forget he was never a real goal threat before this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

emo72 wrote: »
    Speaking of Sanchez going to city and picking up a league medal. To me there would be no glory as a player coming in and getting a metal when it's already won before you got there. At least winning one with is would be an achievement.

He might consider himself unlucky not to win a league medal at Arsenal when he was their best player, and one of the best in the league, for a couple of seasons, so by winning one at City he might feel that it evens itself out.

fyfe79 wrote:
    He might consider himself unlucky not to win a league medal at Arsenal when he was their best player, and one of the best in the league, for a couple of seasons, so by winning one at City he might feel that it evens itself out.

It's still buying a league medal though. I wouldn't blame him but it would be a huge asterisk.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement