Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »
    *Lights fuse* half season loan swap, Sturridge / Hernandez *leaves*

VVCtOGV.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

He ain’t going to the World Cup either unless there is a major injury crisis for English strikers.

Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Lingard are miles ahead of him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

It'd be typical Liverpool to sell Sturridge and have no replacement lined up, wonder what'll happen next? Yep firmino will pick up an injury and we're left with Solanke the modern day David N'Gog!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

He ain’t going to the World Cup either unless there is a major injury crisis for English strikers.

Kane, Vardy, Rashford, Lingard are miles ahead of him.

Lingard isnt a striker and Rashford is still seen as a wide player with England is he not?

I can see him going out of reputation. He doesnt deserve to though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Salah can play up front already does at times during games already.

Southgate would pick Solanke for England before Sturridge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Even with that, he'll still only probably be fit for half a season. You just cant mitigate for how often he gets injured. I don't think he's ever gonna get those sorts of goalscoring numbers though, unless, like Balotelli, he's doing it in France, or Scotland or something.

I think in last two seasons people also confuse him been injured and him just not being played.
    appeared in 27 games last season, and 14 this season so far, add to that games he just sat on bench and never got played.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,673 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Where did all this talk of a "mystery man" come from? Did I miss an Austin Powers meme-run or something?

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

We have two proven quality CF's and one is Sturridge. Sturridge is probably our only quality out and out striker. If we are ready to get a new CF in, brilliant. Untill then, Keep Studge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Our midfield is scarily boring. Lallana our only hope, and he was crap before he was good and now we don't know what he is , what I am is what I am, are you what you are, or what?

Where did all this talk of a "mystery man" come from? Did I miss an Austin Powers meme-run or something?

The Scooby Doo van pulled in at John Lennon airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Our midfield is scarily boring. Lallana our only hope, and he was crap before he was good and now we don't know what he is , what I am is what I am, are you what you are, or what?

eb8a385b4555ba3e66463d02cc2b5a94.jpg

search?q=man+say+him+a+ting&client=firefox-b&dcr=0&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwiQ0LPDjdHYAhXBBsAKHRjiCXwQ_AUICigB&biw=1366&bih=635#imgrc=ii1ZGzIiCqjqvM:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Keitas attitude stinks,put in a shift for your team and teammates at least till you go,let's hope he's not like that when he comes to us,that kind of **** does my head in and says alot about a player imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Keitas attitude stinks,put in a shift for your team and teammates at least till you go,let's hope he's not like that when he comes to us,that kind of **** does my head in and says alot about a player imo
    Ah **** up. We clearly have him this window. Liebzig don't want him injured because they needs the dosh. He'll be grand when he gets over to us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

I'd assume there will be more chances for Sturridge if Keita doesn't come.

Not sure we want to be turning to Solanke in times of need from the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

noodler wrote: »
    I'd assume there will be more chances for Sturridge if Keita doesn't come.

But... Keita's not a striker :confused:

But... Keita's not a striker :confused:

No Coutinho.

Firminho could conceivably be required to drop deeper.

Mane and Salah injuries.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

I think Giles is wrong in his analysis of the Coutinho sale and the conclusions he draws and I think he's partly motivated by bias (wasn't he originally a Man U player?) and the likely encouraged by his editor to be provocative in order to remain relevant and sell newspapers/clicks but he's often bang on the money especially when he's just sticking to analysis of tactics and player performance.

I think it's very disrespectful as well as pure lazy to use derogatory labels such as "Dinosaur" when referring to one of the greatest Irish players of all time and indeed one of the top players in the English game of all time (I'm talking top 5% of players not the top 5 players) who's opinion is based on a very successful playing and punditry career.

By all means challenge the points hes making but calling him a dinosaur, is that the best you can do? You're not an amoeba yourself are you?

How can you say he's bang on in his analysis of tactics? He'd be insulted. I've literally heard him say tactics don't exist.

His opinions should be judged on their merits regardless as to what 5% you put him in. If he was a journalist without a previous career in football he'd be laughed off the stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

As much as I like Daniel he is simply a luxury we cannot afford. We would do well to get rid and free up his wages. He just cannot be relied upon at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Solanke is already ahead of Studge in the pecking order. With Ings also getting match fitness I cant see Sturridge being needed. He hasnt been relied on for a couple of seasons now. His time here is up. To be fair Ings is probably on the same bus outta here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Balotelli has 33 in 49 games, just don't ask him to run or walk fast, but if he's on pitch he'll score.
    Sturridge just needs to be on the pitch for a manager that just wants him on the pitch , not to run, not to hustle, just to stand there and wait for his moment, you can actually build a team around that.

The obvious solution is that he should go to France then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

When was Sturridge last in form?
    The year John the Baptist was born..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

shamrock55 wrote: »

Lol what? Are you in the Leipzig camp to know this? Or been speaking to nabby?

Or believe everything you read? Come on now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Lol what? Are you in the Leipzig camp to know this? Or been speaking to nabby?

Or believe everything you read? Come on now.

We should be ignoring the spoof peddlers, but now while I'm no expert on his club or on the league he plays in, I don't believe he's been in good form. He's been sent off a couple of times this season I do know that.

I had a similar concern about VVD not being in great form over wanting to be elsewhere and he didn't even have the excuse Keita has of technically being an LFC player. Of course, he had a strong debut. Hopefully he maintains it.

Maybe I'm expecting too much but I guess we've been spoiled in the past when dealing with such a matter. Suarez, Alonso, Coutinho, even Torres (ignoring the permanent sour puss), always gave their best and more when they knew they were heading for the exit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

We should be ignoring the spoof peddlers, but now while I'm no expert on his club or on the league he plays in, I don't believe he's been in good form. He's been sent off a couple of times this season I do know that.

I had a similar concern about VVD not being in great form over wanting to be elsewhere and he didn't even have the excuse Keita has of technically being an LFC player. Of course, he had a strong debut. Hopefully he maintains it.

Maybe I'm expecting too much but I guess we've been spoiled in the past when dealing with such a matter. Suarez, Alonso, Coutinho, even Torres (ignoring the permanent sour puss), always gave their best and more when they knew they were heading for the exit.

Difference is that these lads were playing for a transfer that had not yet happened and needed to play well.

Keita has already signed and may have lost his heart for Leipzig.

Ryan Kent is gone on loan to Bristol City. Not a bad move for him.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/951735767717597184

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Watched some of the u18s last night Millar and Curtis Jones look fantastic

jbt123 wrote: »
    As much as I like Daniel he is simply a luxury we cannot afford. We would do well to get rid and free up his wages. He just cannot be relied upon at all.

Sturridge has been injured over the christmas/new year period every year since he joined the club.

Also we know Gerrard had to convince him to play against Man Utd back in 2013.
    I get the impression he may not be that annoyed at being injured.

Need him off the wage bill asap.

Knex. wrote: »
    Ryan Kent is gone on loan to Bristol City. Not a bad move for him.

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/951735767717597184

https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/951765148246663168

Very good deal.

If he does well it will just improve his transfer value or maybe he might become a squad player for us but that is probably unlikely.

https://twitter.com/5timesco/status/951728419401814017

A little sad how his time ended at Liverpool, and even football in general when you hear about the pain he put himself through, but he was definitely a fan favourite.

100% bought into everything about the club, the city, and it's fans. The man has YNWA tattooed on his knuckles. Gave his all to the absolute detriment of his health, but at his best he was a quality center back and a joy to watch.

His goal against West Ham just showed the quality he had in his left foot. His goal against Chelsea from that clever free kick in the CL another highlight, and perhaps his greatest moment, flattening Torres in his first game against us when he moved to Chelsea.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Sturridge has been injured over the christmas/new year period every year since he joined the club.

Also we know Gerrard had to convince him to play against Man Utd back in 2013.
    I get the impression he may not be that annoyed at being injured.

Need him off the wage bill asap.

If that's the case you'd wonder why Gerrard would have bothered. Why would you want someone on the pitch who's showing a questionable desire?

To be fair though I don't recall any serious sick noting from Sturridge before Suarez left. Or maybe it's the just the possibility that it became more obvious when the latter was no longer there.

If that's the case you'd wonder why Gerrard would have bothered. Why would you want someone on the pitch who's showing a questionable desire?

To be fair though I don't recall any serious sick noting from Sturridge before Suarez left. Or maybe it's the just the possibility that it became more obvious when the latter was no longer there.

He had hip surgery since then.

That seems to have ruined him tbh. He needs to join a club where he can just goal hang & he may do well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Why would you want someone on the pitch who's showing a questionable desire?

T
    I guess unquestionable ability to score important goals trumped questionable desire.

sideswipe wrote: »
    I guess unquestionable ability to score important goals trumped questionable desire.

That's probably it but it would still make me look at someone in a poorer light and not trust them to perform when the chips are down.

Can never have enough good players with the right attitude who will work their bollox off as opposed to the more mercurial ones who are either world beaters or a drain depending on the mood they are in. That's why I'd be fine if we sold Sturridge for peanuts if it meant a space was freed up to bring someone else who can offer more all round.

Suarez was the rare gem with all the talent in the world who would also work his bollox off.

Solanke is ahead of Sturridge in the pecking order but I don't know why.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Watched some of the u18s last night Millar and Curtis Jones look fantastic

They got thumped 4-0 by Spurs the other morning, which game were you watching?

Ryan Kent to Bristol City could be quite exciting - they play an up and at 'em style which would suit him.

Matty Virtue has gone on loan to Notts County.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

MD1990 wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/AnfieldHQ/status/951765148246663168

Very good deal.

If he does well it will just improve his transfer value or maybe he might become a squad player for us but that is probably unlikely.

Financial penalties are harsh.....I mean if he goes, and doesnt bother his hoop, then what happens.....he has to play or Bristol City get fined?

Can Bristol City fine the play, to cover the fines to Liverpool?

Not saying he wont make the effort.....but if the manager is being forced to play a guy who disrupts and doesnt perform, then it doesnt make sense to me

Maybe because he is fit and has a work ethic and buys into the mangers philosophy on how the game is played but that is just a guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,733 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

When Solanke plays, he gets stuck into the dirty work that Klopp demands of his teams.

When Sturridge plays, he doesn't, though he can still and will pop up with skilful goals, Klopp still wants more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

noodler wrote:

"Potential".
    Honestly if Solanke leaves Liverpool & says he didn't get a chance I'm going to go spare. He looks like a player who probably spent too long playing in the reserves as he looks out of his depth at times & is trying to adapt to the pace of the game.

From what I've seen, I'd rather Sturridge.

Likely to score a goal.

Obviously, only if he is actually available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Probably due to his ability to actually get on the pitch.

Sturridge just cannot be relied upon.

At the risk of invoking ghosts past sometimes the centre forward has to be the selfless team player, creating moments for the flasher player/s. Daniel Sturridge doesn't readily fit that bill even when fit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Sturridge can join someone where he can pretty much just stand in and around the box, he'll be a good signing. You can doubt his fitness but his finishing is lethal.

RVP used to have horrible issues with injuries, but he reinvented himself in his later years and went on to become a world class striker. I think Sturridge can do the same yet.

https://twitter.com/TimesSport/status/951761421725061120
    #LFC are in official contact with RB Leipzig as they attempt to bring forward Keïta’s arrival as Coutinho’s replacement, reports @_pauljoyce https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/liverpool-want-naby-keita-to-join-them-from-rb-leipzig-now-not-in-the-summer-7gv5h6l8k

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I think it'll happen. I'm glad. But I don't wanna know how much for.

Because I'm a frugal small time conservative thinker or whatever :pac:

He'd be cup tied yeah? Would be concerned that Coutinho's touted replacement wouldn't be available for Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It's about securing CL for next year at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

rob316 wrote: »
    If Sturridge can join someone where he can pretty much just stand in and around the box, he'll be a good signing. You can doubt his fitness but his finishing is lethal.

RVP used to have horrible issues with injuries, but he reinvented himself in his later years and went on to become a world class striker. I think Sturridge can do the same yet.

I think Sturridge has two big issues when he's actually on the pitch. Parking the injury discussion as we all know the score there, he's 100% a confidence player. When things are going well, he is brilliant. Scores goals, looks like he's having fun on and off the field, really works. But when things go south, his head is the first to drop and the problem that comes from that is that when little things go against him, he struggles to change his fortunes.

When Sturridge starts, you can usually tell within 10 minutes how his game will go. If he has a few good touches or a nice shot early on, he'll be fine. If he miscontrols the ball or misses a decent shot, he very, very rarely turns his own game around from that point.

Add to that the fact that he is a momentum player - he struggles to get into games form his cameo appearances, he usually needs to start and to start several games in a row to hit form. In our side, that just isn't an option.

What worries me is that there are few sides in England that would be attractive to him that would see him as a viable option based on that. You could imagine Stoke, Southampton, Newcastle or West Ham all thinking "yeah, the injuries are an issue but at the right price, we'll gamble...", but would they ever see the best of him given that they are likely to be under pressure, etc. He'd be isolated up top for many of those sides too which, IMO, would just mean that he'd struggle to get into games.

His strengths are impressive but I feel like he'd be more likely to maximise those in a slower paced league or a side that has 2/3 players around him. Italy should be on his radar if he can get a move to someone like Napoli to deputise for Maertens.

I feel like a lot of our fans never quite took to Sturridge because of his attitude and his injuries but I've always quite liked him. He's never been a troublemaker despite the impression people have that he's arrogant, unsocial, etc and when he was good, he was f*cking brilliant.

I'm not advocating for us to keep him by any stretch but I just can't help but feel sorry for him at this point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,733 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Forgive my ignorance, but for someone (me) who knows nothing about Keïta, apart from the fact we signed him 12 months in advance, what type of player is he?

Defensive midfielder, attacking, creative....

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement