Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He seems to be a box to box midfielder. From what I've seen he is pretty savage at retaining the ball and passing it well. Not shy of the odd heavy tackle by the looks of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Grayditch wrote: »
    Not shy of the odd heavy tackle by the looks of it.

Ya, so it seems based on his bookings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sturridge is done , he hasn't even been good when he's fit, he's not the same player he was ,
    Its like Torres he's just lost it, His speed is gone ,his power is gone and his ability to shift the ball between his feet is gone,
    He hasn't taken a player on in about 4 years, he only scores when given a free shot, remember Newcastle away ball broke to him one and one and he made a mess of it, 4 years ago he'd have rounded the keeper , he is physically shot ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And the Liverpool player of the month is???????
    @22mosalah has secured a fourth @StanChart Player of the Month award in just five months at #LFC, winning December's fan vote. ✌️

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/951785855684829187

Pearce is reporting Liverpool have no plans to buy a goalkeeper in January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Sturridge is done , he hasn't even been good when he's fit, he's not the same player he was ,
    Its like Torres he's just lost it, His speed is gone ,his power is gone and his ability to shift the ball between his feet is gone,
    He hasn't taken a player on in about 4 years, he only scores when given a free shot, remember Newcastle away ball broke to him one and one and he made a mess of it, 4 years ago he'd have rounded the keeper , he is physically shot ,

The only way Sturridge is leaving in my opinion is on loan with an option to buy in the Summer, I don't see many clubs forking out upfront.

Maybe Sturridge will do a Coutinho and help buy himself out of his contract is he wants to play that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Sturridge is either injured or else he has made his intentions clear that he wants to leave, that's the only way Solanke is ahead of him in the pecking order. I mean come on, Solanke has not even scored one goal in a competitive Liverpool match yet, his main plus points seem to be that he's a grafter, all well and good, some skill and goals would compliment that nicely. Suggestions that he would be picked ahead of Sturridge for England is laughable too, Southgate is bad but surely he's not that dumb!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

It's interesting how time moves on, isn't it? Sturridge is now irrelevant. Whether he stays or goes doesn't matter, we're doing just fine (more than fine) as an attacking unit without him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Sloanke is only 20. He's learning his trade at the top level. I'd be inclined to give him time before I go writing him off. He's a different option off the bench.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

I think we'll beat City :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Pearce is reporting Liverpool have no plans to buy a goalkeeper in January.

Bar Keita or another midfielder nobody else will come in imo.

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It's interesting how time moves on, isn't it? Sturridge is now irrelevant. Whether he stays or goes doesn't matter, we're doing just fine (more than fine) as an attacking unit without him.

He'd soon be relevant again if Firmino picked up an injury believe me! We are an injury or two from being completely blunt. More depth in the attacking options is needed, with or without Sturridge.

Sturridge is either injured or else he has made his intentions clear that he wants to leave, that's the only way Solanke is ahead of him in the pecking order. I mean come on, Solanke has not even scored one goal in a competitive Liverpool match yet, his main plus points seem to be that he's a grafter, all well and good, some skill and goals would compliment that nicely. Suggestions that he would be picked ahead of Sturridge for England is laughable too, Southgate is bad but surely he's not that dumb!

Wants to leave but seemingly rejecting offers not matching his wages if the Newcastle loan move offer is true. Sturridge won't make what he's making now again and not even close so I'd question just how much he wants out before his contract rolls down.

In a year where a WC place is on offer you would think a move to a team where he could be the big dog for 5 months would be enticing regardless of wages, but seemingly not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

And the Liverpool player of the month is???????

https://twitter.com/lfc/status/951785855684829187

May as well call it the Mo Salah trophy and be done with it. Most surprising thing is Lovern is the player that's denied him the clean sweep, I think.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

He'd soon be relevant again if Firmino picked up an injury believe me! We are an injury or two from being completely blunt. More depth in the attacking options is needed, with or without Sturridge.

We can change system & put Salah & Mane up front. 4-4-2 diamond.

That would be a better option than Sturridge starting.
    Sturridge is a better option off the bench than Solanke but not a good option as a starter unless all our front 3 is injured.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Wants to leave but seemingly rejecting offers not matching his wages if the Newcastle loan move offer is true. Sturridge won't make what he's making now again and not even close so I'd question just how much he wants out before his contract rolls down.

In a year where a WC place is on offer you would think a move to a team where he could be the big dog for 5 months would be enticing regardless of wages, but seemingly not.

Is it surprising though? A malingering player who won't do a tap of work without the ball choosing to run down the best contract he'll ever get is surely expected. And it's his right to do that, so fair play to him.

MD1990 wrote: »

Sturridge is a better option off the bench than Solanke but not a good option as a starter unless all our front 3 is injured.

So we'd have to change formation and sacrifice the position Salah has been absolutely lethal in to accommodate a Firmino injury!

That's what I mean we're a bit light up top, wouldn't be better if someone just slotted into the team without disrupting everything.

amber69 wrote: »
    Sloanke is only 20. He's learning his trade at the top level. I'd be inclined to give him time before I go writing him off. He's a different option off the bench.

TAA and Gomez are allowed to make mistakes that cost us goals this season because they are young and talented and need game time to grow and learn as players.

I don't see the difference in a highly talented forward who wanted to join us instead of staying at Chelsea or joining another club he wants to be here and fight for a place writing him off after playing about 550 minutes of football is totally crazy.

How deep do people want our squad to be oh he is a sh1t replacement if Firmino, Mane and Salah all get injured at the same time.

• Advertisement

TAA and Gomez are allowed to make mistakes that cost us goals this season because they are young and talented and need game time to grow and learn as players.

I don't see the difference in a highly talented forward who wanted to join us instead of staying at Chelsea or joining another club he wants to be here and fight for a place writing him off after playing about 550 minutes of football is totally crazy.

Highly talented might be a bit of a stretch, Michael Owen or Robbie Fowler he is not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Here's a list of formations without going near Ings, Solanke or Sturridge (or Keita as I'm not assuming he'll arrive)

----Lallana<-->Ox
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

----Lallana<--->Wiji
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

Lallana--Ox
    Fimino
    Salah
    Mane

Ox----Wiji
    Mane----Salah---Lallana

Ox
    Wiji----Lallana
    ----Firmino-
    Mane

Ox
    Wiji----Lallana
    ----Firmino-
    Salah

and of course.....!

Ox----Lallana
    Wilson----Brewster---Woodburn

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

__________Mig_____________

__Gomez___Matip__VVD______

________Henderson_________

___Lallana_____Keita________

_________Firmino__________

_Salah______________Mane__

________Sturridge__________

Kill em that way .

Is it surprising though? A malingering player who won't do a tap of work without the ball choosing to run down the best contract he'll ever get is surely expected. And it's his right to do that, so fair play to him.

Not surprising, fair play to him, he earned the contract etc etc.....

It's good to see the odd player like the Ox take a pay cut to make a move that he knew or felt would be for the best for his career.

Sturridge showed similar ambition years ago when he joined us. No idea where that motivation went.

Here's a list of formations without going near Ings, Solanke or Sturridge (or Keita as I'm not assuming he'll arrive)

----Lallana<-->Ox
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

----Lallana<--->Wiji
    Salah---Firmino---Mane

Lallana--Ox
    Fimino
    Salah
    Mane

Ox----Wiji
    Mane----Salah---Lallana

Ox
    Wiji----Lallana
    ----Firmino-
    Mane

Ox
    Wiji----Lallana
    ----Firmino-
    Salah

and of course.....!

Ox----Lallana
    Wilson----Brewster---Woodburn

Now take Firmino out of 5 of them and see where we're at?!! Bare bones I think!

So we'd have to change formation and sacrifice the position Salah has been absolutely lethal in to accommodate a Firmino injury!

That's what I mean we're a bit light up top, wouldn't be better if someone just slotted into the team without disrupting everything.

Salah up top in a two would be no change in his position really.

He plays inside right & often goes up for a spell during games.

Mane inside left & Salah inside right in a two would work very well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

How deep do people want our squad to be oh he is a sh1t replacement if Firmino, Mane and Salah all get injured at the same time.

TAA and Gomez have cost us goals, but have offered us far more positive than negative this season. TAA has scored 3, but I don't remember 3 he has been responsible for conceding.

They have been very good and we you barely miss Clyne these days.

Solanke looks like a great prospect, but he is not contributing in games he is starting in the same way those 2 right backs are.

Salah up top in a two would be no change in his position really.

He plays inside right & often goes up for a spell during games.

Mane inside left & Salah inside right in a two would work very well.

Ok fair enough, so you're happy with the depth of the squad for the rest of the season? After selling Coutinho, we do not need reinforcements?

Solanke looks like a great prospect, but he is not contributing in games he is starting in the same way those 2 right backs are.

I'd agree with that but he has all the time and scope in the world to improve. He shouldn't be the player that we depend on to bring on from the bench if things are going against us, that's why Sturridge needs to be sold at any price and replaced.

I'd say Klopp saw in Solanke someone that isn't his exact type of player but someone who can be coached to be and with a potentially major pay off. We just need to be realistic in regards to expectation and bring in someone in Sturridge's place that can be relied on and to take the pressure off all round in general.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This Firmino thing not being sorted is annoying. As things stand, I bet he won't play on Sunday if it isn't resolved, despite the whole innocent until proven guilty and all that.

I assume that press were told not to ask about it in the press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

5starpool wrote: »
    despite the whole innocent until proven guilty and all that.

What is this concept?

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I really like that training top

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Ok fair enough, so you're happy with the depth of the squad for the rest of the season? After selling Coutinho, we do not need reinforcements?

To be honest I don't think we need anyone. We needed a cb badly and we had a surplus of attacking players so we literally have enough depth to go the rest if the season.

That is not saying I wouldn't like us to sign anyone. I would like us to bring in kieta and Lemar but we probably wont get both and a small chance we wont get either.

Ings firmino Salah Mane and Solanke are all striker options.

Lallana wjini firmino Mane Salah and ox can all play attacking mid roles and wide roles.

Milner Can Hendo Wjini grujic can all play midfield.

And our defence contain Virgil Matip Moreno Robertson Trent Klaven Lovren and Gomez.

All that is without calling up young players like Woodburn. We can cope without signings if we need to

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if mo wins it again he gets to keep the trophy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

This is Firmino's injury history with the club, 8 competitive games missed since joining, 2 of them were pre-season games.

bPulALH.png

I wouldn't worry all that much about him being injured too often, and chances are if he did get injured and we needed Sturridge to step up he'd be out injured too. It happened last season when Coutinho injured his foot against Sunderland, he was out for 6 weeks but so was Sturridge, so we played Origi.

Vicxas wrote: »
    I really like that training top

Yeah said that myself. White' s not my colour though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nothing new here, really, but just enforces that Coutinho was adamant about leaving.

https://twitter.com/AHunterGuardian/status/951801691048947712

Klopp on Coutinho.
    Klopp on why #lfc sold Coutinho now: "Because there was no other option. We had a contract but would have been difficult to keep him for 2nd half of season. Could he have helped us still? 100% clear no chance. Clear he wasn't ready to do that anymore.

https://twitter.com/AHunterGuardian/status/951801691048947712

Disappointed with Coutinho's behaviour since last July.

Nothing wrong with handing in a request but pretty much refusing to play is poor. I remember many including me thought he wouldn't resort to the things he did to get a move even leaks about a poor relationship with Klopp. Why he wouldn't stay until the summer & play CL Knockout's with the club just 6 more months is strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

5starpool wrote: »
    This Firmino thing not being sorted is annoying. As things stand, I bet he won't play on Sunday if it isn't resolved, despite the whole innocent until proven guilty and all that.

I assume that press were told not to ask about it in the press conference.

Why would he not play??
    I agree it's nothing short of a disgrace how this has been handled by the FA, to have this hanging over the lads head is very unfair to say the least.
    As I said during the week, the club's legal team should have been banging on the FA door on Monday saying 'get the finger out' or words to that effect.

• Advertisement

Those were the words that stuck when I watched Press Conference . Probably did not need to say that, that Coutinho would refuse to play had we kept him.
    I dunno if it's trying to justify the sale, or to save the club from blame, but there was no need. Most fans knew he wanted to go, and knew it would happen, and were fine with it, only issue was it happened in Jan.

Paints Phil in a poor light TBH.... I wonder what's his version of forcing his way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

I think we have been spoiled, in an attacking sense, over the last while. It's been great to watch and enjoyable mostly.

However, i do think he could still play a part for the club. There are times when we cant open up teams and we struggle and he does bring something different.

For example, it was him that made the difference last season at Everton when he came on for Origi with 10 to go and Mane scored late on. A nice win just before Christmas when we struggled to lay a 'punch' on them.

Clearly, its time for him to move on, i just feel we are weakened further. It's grand throwing on the likes of Solanke when very little matters but i dont believe his ability is anywhere near good enough. Or indeed, would he be able to get us out of a tight spot should we need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Disappointed with Coutinho's behaviour since last July.

Nothing wrong with handing in a request but pretty much refusing to play is poor. I remember many including me thought he wouldn't resort to the things he did to get a move even leaks about a poor relationship with Klopp. Why he wouldn't stay until the summer & play CL Knockout's with the club just 6 more months is strange.

Wasn't he actually injured though? Still out for a couple more weeks. Who said he refused to play?

Augeo wrote: »
    Paints Phil in a poor light TBH.... I wonder what's his version of forcing his way out.

I don't think there's any other version, that's clear from his Daily Mail Exclusive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Knex. wrote:
    Nothing new here, really, but just enforces that Coutinho was adamant about leaving.

Said it before and I'll say it again. F@@k him. He didn't wanna be here so be it. At least we didn't lose him on a cheap like masherano

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Can only mean he threatened to down tools for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

The thing is, its not even six months Coutinho would have played for, it would only have been four!! (since he's going to be injured till february anyway!)The fact he couldnt commit to playing for the club for four more months...is really really poor form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,510 ✭✭✭tinpib

Disappointed with CoutinhoVirgil's behaviour since last July.

Nothing wrong with handing in a request but pretty much refusing to play is poor. I remember many including me thought he wouldn't resort to the things he did to get a move even leaks about a poor relationship with Klopp our boss/board. Why he wouldn't stay until the summer & play CL Knockout's in important games with the club just 6 more months is strange.

Not attacking you MD199, just illustrating the point. What's good for the goose is good for the gander.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,294 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Lads we've seen it time and time again, the so called players would never do this and that, force through moves with their agents. Kia is a ****house of an agent, do people forget the trouble with Tevez had.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement