Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Hopefully we will try to sign another center back or left back as well. I won't be unhappy if this is our business done but I hope we don't think it's problem solved just yet.

But I'm feeling quite positive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

I don't know, watching El Clasico, Suarez was moving around like a barge, not the same player he was at all.

In Suarez's defence, he's been playing with a cyst in his knee for quite a few months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mr.H wrote: »
    Hopefully we will try to sign another center back or left back as well. I won't be unhappy if this is our business done but I hope we don't think it's problem solved just yet.

Surely this is it for January......i wouldn't be expecting anything more, we badly needed a CB and Klopp landed his number 1 target. The gamble of not getting in a plan B ultimately worked in terms of getting the right player in, we should/could have still done with another CB but its a big step in terms of building his first 11.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

:D:D
    574uh.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,941 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I don't see that happening to be honest that really would stunt the growth of Gomez.

VVD, Matip, Gomez, Lovren & Klavan will be it I would imagine myself.

A goalkeeper and a Holding midfielder who knows how to play the role should be priority now for me.

Can Keita play that holding role? And if he can does that negate his best attributes ie how good he is going forward?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Reading one of the Southampton forums, they are delighted with the transfer fee but upset to lose what they see as a class player - especially to us!

We wouldn't be signing him so soon if he hadn't sulked and gone through the motions since the summer. Also, the fact they are in a relegation battle and need the money may have tipped the tables.

Don't care how much he cost - Klopp wanted him, that's all that matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Has Van Dijk broken boards?

Edit: Seems to be working now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Glad we brought the player in,just hope that this isn't the forward spending of what we get when Barcelona come calling again for Coutinho.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote:
    Surely this is it for January......i wouldn't be expecting anything more, we badly needed a CB and Klopp landed his number 1 target. The gamble of not getting in a plan B ultimately worked in terms of getting the right player in, we should/could have still done with another CB but its a big step in terms of building his first 11.

Oh god yea I am sure your right. It's just hopeful thinking on my part.

If we sign anyone else I expect it will be pre contract for someone who is out now contract in June or it will be a young lad. I can't see first teamers joining before February.

But I do hope we are thinking about what the next position is, that needs to be strengthened. Full backs and keeper for me.

But as I said before, this one signing was always gonna make this a great transfer window

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

NukaCola wrote: »
    Can Keita play that holding role?

Will anybody?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

ricero wrote: »
    I take everything back i ever said about FSG if we actually spend that much on a player

It's actually sad but I'm going to have to bookmark this post Ricero for future refernece, no joking!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

I don't know, watching El Clasico, Suarez was moving around like a barge, not the same player he was at all.

Was watching it myself. Still managed to terrorise that Madrid team to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Delighted :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Transfer bullish!t from Reddit.

‘I mentioned the other day I had some info on VVD, and have confirmed it today. I will try and share as accurately as I can, but the source in the club I have is not directly involved in transfers, so a pinch of salt is required.

Having said that, he is pretty certain this is what is happening, and I am inclined to believe him.

Vvd has played his last game for the club. City offered ~£50M, which was rejected and Liverpool have had a ~£60M bid accepted. He isn't going to leave for a few weeks yet, as we have accepted slightly less than we wanted under the condition Liverpool keep quiet, and let us bring in 1 or 2 players before he goes (and prices we are quoted skyrocket).

The only way this changes is if either city or Liverpool come in with an offer closer to £70M and he goes right away.

We will be looking to bring in a striker, a replacement cb (although this isn't seen as top priority as we have good cover) and maybe 1 more, dependant on who is available, although 1 or more of those purchases may have to wait until the summer if the players we want aren't available.

Personally I think it is the right call, if a bit of a shame. I wish it wasn't Liverpool, but city are the only other concrete offer and they don't seem willing to pay what we want.

I feel weird being in this position, and will try and keep my finger on the pulse if anything changes, but as you can probably understand the club don't want this spreading too widely, and are being pretty hush about the whole affair.’

Unreal and happened so quick we won’t have to worry about his source not feeding him any more info.

• Advertisement

To be fair the Irish Sunday World rag broke it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

To be fair the Irish Sunday World rag broke it first.

Well Kevin Palmer is connected at Southampton, think he worked there in some capacity previously.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Absolutely delighted with this signing.

I think he'll be top class and will greatly improve our defence.

I've been critical of FSG in the past and accused them of holding money back that is very clearly there. The club is very wealthy despite what many here say but I'm thrilled to see them splash the cash.

Looks a real statement of intent and delighted to see players turn down other clubs for us.

With Klopp at the helm we're back in the big time. Hopefully this is just the start of an era.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

44_E5_D.jpg

Signing is one thing, but he didn't need to rip the shirt off Lovrens back and leave him there like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Fees these days mean nowt, it all comes down to the quality of the player.

• Advertisement

A goalkeeper and a Holding midfielder who knows how to play the role should be priority now for me.

We all know klopp won't sign a defensive holding mid. It will always be a Pirlo rather than a gattuso.

I'd like us to sign a center mid with a bit of power ala wanyama but I can't see it considering naby in the summer. Unless he sees naby as Phil's replacement and can leaving would require another body.

I'd love us to break the united forums with a world class keeper transfer though

We all know klopp won't sign a defensive holding mid. It will always be a Pirlo rather than a gattuso.

I'd like us to sign a center mid with a bit of power ala wanyama but I can't see it considering naby in the summer. Unless he sees naby as Phil's replacement and can leaving would require another body.

I'd love us to break the united forums with a world class keeper transfer though

His BVB team that won things had one from the day he arrived at BVB to the day he left so he does use them and Klopp will only buy the players he wants is what we have found out not that he won't buy players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Looking forward to the meltdowns when people realise VVD and Lovren will be klopps first choice pairing

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

garra wrote: »
    2. Ousmane Dembele, Borussia Dortmund to Barcelona, 2017, £96.8m
    That nearly escaped my attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If he's good no one will care about the fee. Delighted we strengthened or CBs. Lovren as a third choice with a young Gomez coming to take his spot and Klaven as emergency is fine.

Now sort out those Goalkeepers soon.

If Trent progresses and Gomez does too we could end up with a very strong defence. Lovern can up his game also, competition does that. He's not done yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Augeo wrote: »
    Hopefully breen is wrong on those points....Virgil needs to be the vocal one surely.

It wasn't a negative, he said that the game is so easy for him he can (the odd time) switch off, said he was perfect for Liverpool, technically very very good, and strong as well. The point he was making is that when either Lovren or Klaven are taken wide by the striker that they are not comfortable, whereas VVD is, also that his defensive body shape is also very good, plus he can handle the Andy Carrolls of this world,

Fkucking great signing :D

Just made my Christmas :D:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

So the real question that needs to be answered is...

Does Kevin Palmer really know his sh1t or did he get really lucky with calling the transfer and the price.

He hedged his bets. The dose knows fcuk all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Looking forward to the meltdowns when people realise VVD and Lovren will be klopps first choice pairing

Just reading this post nearly sent me into meltdown :(

He hedged his bets. The dose knows fcuk all.

This seems personal we need a MTV Deathmatch between Hangball and Palmer

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Is Oliver Bond in any way reliable? He's saying Goretzka is next.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Seem to remember him saying that Cout to Barca was a done deal towards the end of the summer, wouldn't trust him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,511 ✭✭✭✭noodler

12 appearances this season (and fairly poor).

21 last season.

Is he injury prone? I have never seen much in the relatively small sample size but then I'm no VVD expert.

Goretzka in Can out both on frees would be ok with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I used to go out with a young’wan from Oliver Bond flats. Wouldn’t trust him as far as I could throw him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Full meltdown on the utd thread, at least the Vd signing is deflecting from Jose comments which were deflecting from the recent poor results. It's a whole lot of deflection

Could this signing be made now to soften the blow of Coutinho leaving in a few days

DeflectionShield.png

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,283 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Could this signing be made now to soften the blow of Coutinho leaving in a few days

It could be...... it won't be...... but it could be.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

niallo27 wrote: »
    Full meltdown on the utd thread, at least the Vd signing is deflecting from Jose comments which were deflecting from the recent poor results. It's a whole lot of deflection

Defleception.

Actually, that kind of describes our defensive style too, caught in two minds most of the time. :pac:

Can't wait for City game, we can beat them like they beat us.

As far as I'm concerned we are merely finishing our Summer business with this signing. If the VVD signing is used to soften a blow of Coutinho leaving it'll be a poor attempt IMO. We'd want to be signing Coutinho's replacement to soften that particular blow. Its more important now to keep Phil with the way the season has turned out than in the summer. I have no issue with him leaving in the Summer tbh, but January?......I'd be very disappointed and my guess is so would the majority of LFC supporters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

niallo27 wrote: »

Best stay out of that place.

You won't find a more wretched Hive of scum and villainy.

Vicxas wrote: »
    Best stay out of that place.

You won't find a more wretched Hive of scum and villainy.

tumblr_inline_mox17pF4LC1qz4rgp.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭bleach94

Happy with the VVD signing, Klopp will be judged pretty closely on this one as he clearly rates him so highly (to the point where he wouldn't accept anyone else during the summer).

Watching Carra go on about VVD's lacklustre performances though, it's clear the guy had mentally checked out about six months ago. Hopefully he'll snap out of that as if he's not qualitatively improving our defence then he'll be a big disappointment! He'll hardly solve all the problems, and I just hope he pulls us collectively forward rather than sliding into the same rot that seems to have befallen many so-called quality defenders we've signed in recent years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

If we sign Goretzka on a free, Philippe goes in the summer for 150m, the 75m for VVD will look like a bargain.

In Jurgen we Trust

IJWT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,985 ✭✭✭ebbsy

I wouldn't worry about his recent form. He didn't want to be there and that was fairly certain.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If we sign Goretzka on a free, Philippe goes in the summer for 150m, the 75m for VVD will look like a bargain.

In Jurgen we Trust

IJWT

Is that one of those personality acronyms, or one of the gender ones?

It's getting harder to remember them all these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Don't want Coutinho to go :(
    Even if it is inevitable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

ebbsy wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about his recent form. He didn't want to be there and that was fairly certain.

On the flip side, Coutinho wants to be in Barca but he's playing like a man possessed.

I think he might be a while before he plays for us. He had little to no preseason, missed games, and is joining a new team, system etc.

Could be February before he's playing regularly.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement