Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Well that was anticlimactic.

Yep. Didn't look like a fella playing his last game anyway.

To be fair it wouldn't make any sense for them to sell in Jan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

murpho999 wrote: »
    He definitely has an edge to his play.

It'll be interesting to see where he plays his game - genuinely box to box or in a more focused position. He is nothing like as smooth a player as Coutinho while taking few prisoners defending. It might not be a bad idea to keep him quite high up the pitch for a good few months as he adjusts to the game so the frees he concedes don't pose an immediate threat on goal while still being a useful part of the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Imagine 17000 kopites singing the Salah song tomorrow and like every tune Liverpool fans come up with other fans will copy it in a few weeks.

On a side note Liverpool are the best equipped team to beat city at the moment. Cnutinio won't be missed either..as they say no player is bigger then the team and that is more so with Liverpool fc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Announcer confirmed song will be played pre game too (the original)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,929 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

To be fair it’s a catchy as fcuk.

I hope the lad makes a few Euro out of it over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

It'll be interesting to see where he plays his game - genuinely box to box or in a more focused position. He is nothing like as smooth a player as Coutinho while taking few prisoners defending. It might not be a bad idea to keep him quite high up the pitch for a good few months as he adjusts to the game so the frees he concedes don't pose an immediate threat on goal while still being a useful part of the attack.

I think he'll play as the middle player of the midfield 3, Henderson/Can behind him as the defensive player and probably Lallana next to him as the most attacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 52,408 ✭✭✭✭tayto lover

not yet wrote: »
    Imagine 17000 kopites singing the Salah song tomorrow and like every tune Liverpool fans come up with other fans will copy it in a few weeks.

On a side note Liverpool are the best equipped team to beat city at the moment. Cnutinio won't be missed either..as they say no player is bigger then the team and that is more so with Liverpool fc.
    Yeah. The Fields of Athenry come to mind. :pac::D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,547 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I don't expect him to play in the same position as Coutinho. He's a very different player.

I think he'll bring some menace that has been missing for our midfield for a long time. Think opposition fans are going to hate him.

Interesting to see what midfield formation Klopp uses with Keita in the side.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I don't expect him to play in the same position as Coutinho. He's a very different player.

I think he'll bring some menace that has been missing for our midfield for a long time. Think opposition fans are going to hate him.

Interesting to see what midfield formation Klopp uses with Keita in the side.

According to Honigstein, Keita can play as a 6 or as an 8. So essentially he replaces Can.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

While I agree that no players is bigger than the club, Coutinho will be missed. You can't have too many good players. He won't be missed for this particular match (injured anyway), but over the course of the remaining 4 months, having a talented game winner like Coutinho would have been great.

Keita would be in the same mould as Ronnie Whelan maybe a bit more dynamic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

‘Anyone even attempting that terrible wool Soccer AM Salah song tomorrow is getting swilled with urine. Leg it you scruffs.’

Comment from an echo article about tomorrow’s game. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Hopefully he's not as seriously negative to talk to

ERG89 wrote: »

I kind of do get and understand the bitterness and there is a lot of it.

Ronnie in his prime in this day and age would be an £50/60/70m pound midfielder.

Look at Digger on Big Brother trying to scratch a living he’d be £200m player today.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

If he wins 5 less league titles than Whelan for us we will probably be happy enough.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Look at Digger on Big Brother trying to scratch a living he’d be £200m player today.
    Maybe he really wants to do that kind of thing, but I did feel kinda sad that he's reduced to being on there. He was some player.

Ever see him play?

Was a great player for Liverpool and Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Is naby in the team to face city tomorrow.

#ifcarlsbergdiddreams

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Is naby in the team to face city tomorrow.

#ifcarlsbergdiddreams

Would be some turn around alright.

He didn't celebrate his goal. Bit silly from him

Vicxas wrote: »
    Would be some turn around alright.

He didn't celebrate his goal. Bit silly from him

Maybe because it was a fluke?

• Advertisement

Ever see him play?

He wasn't so helpful when it came to the JFT96 and boycott the rag campaigns.

He was actually fairly dismissive and rude when contacted about it.

I wouldn't like him, but fantastic player alright.

I hope he's like Whelan the player. If he is we've a steal!

Badly need that type of player

He wasn't so helpful when it came to the JFT96 and boycott the rag campaigns.

He was actually fairly dismissive and rude when contacted about it.

I wouldn't like him, but fantastic player alright.

Anything to back up stuff like that?

Also, that has nothing at all to do with how he was as a Liverpool player. Arguably the best Irish player to have played for Liverpool.

He was crucial player to one of the best teams that we had and deserves credit for that.

He seems to get a lot of hate but I think it stems from him not liking bang average Liverpool teams that we have seen over the last 20 years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,661 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Also, that has nothing at all to do with how he was as a Liverpool player. Arguably the best Irish player to have played for Liverpool.

He was crucial player to one of the best teams that we had and deserves credit for that.

He seems to get a lot of hate but I think it stems from him not liking bang average Liverpool teams that we have seen over the last 20 years.

whelan was a fantastic player , for Liverpool and Ireland . One of the best ever !

Yes.

He was working for RTE who had a highlights show at the time and it was sponsored by The Sun.

He was contacted and asked was he aware of the conflict and he was asked to pressure them to change sponsor and was he comfortable with the fact it was sponsored by the rag.
    Whelan it wasn't an issue for him.

If you want more proof I can put you in touch with people who were involved.

Or you can check out irishkop who had a thread about it.
    Paul Larkin owns the site and is a mod on here

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Loved WheIan back in the 80s, he was just class. I remember queuing for hours when I was a child to get his autograph, he was at the grand opening of a petrol station.

How times have changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Yes.

He was working for RTE who had a highlights show at the time and it was sponsored by The Sun.

He was contacted and asked was he aware of the conflict and he was asked to pressure them to change sponsor and was he comfortable with the fact it was sponsored by the rag.

That's a very indirect link.

noodler wrote: »
    That's a very indirect link.

Working for a show sponsored by The Sun?

Didn't he pull out of it when the sponsorship was known?

Memory is vague though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

murpho999 wrote:
    Ever see him play

Not his peak years nope & whenever I seen him play for Ireland I always felt that despite having a really talented group of players at the time (probably the best we'll ever have for some time) we sure didn't play to their strength despite some big results :/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

He might even have seen a sun newspaper in a newsagent window on the way to Montrose that day.

The bastard.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Didn't he pull out of it when the sponsorship was known?

Memory is vague though.

Yep, Houghton was behind that. He was on the panel too and he was great about it from the start

Ronnie had a different attitude.

Yes.

It's ok thanks, I wouldn't get so worked up about something like that, it's not as if he was working directly for the Sun.

Don't forget he was Liverpool's captain that day and he was very affected by it.

He discusses it below.

I'd prefer to judge him as a player and his contribution to Liverpool which was top class.

I'd prefer to judge him as a player and his contribution to Liverpool which was top class.

You asked the question Murph. You asked anything to back it up. I just said what happened.

Yes he was a fantastic player, I said as much at the start.

Not sure why yer posting a youtube video

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Keita will replace both Can and Henderson in a starting lineup.

He will do the work in one game of the both of them combined, maybe a little more. So essentially we will be playing with 12 men.
    Think of how you see Kante absolutely everywhere on the pitch, that's what keita brings probably with a little more in the final third.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Boom_Bap wrote: »

He will do the work in one game of the both of them combined, maybe a little more. So essentially we will be playing with 12 men.
    Think of how you see Kante absolutely everywhere on the pitch, that's what keita brings probably with a little more in the final third.

Very good, if he gets sent off are we down to 9 so, presumably only if sturridge is playing 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

sword1 wrote: »
    Very good, if he gets sent off are we down to 9 so, presumably only if sturridge is playing 😊

tenor.gif

Boom_Bap wrote: »

Exactly an old fashioned midfielder who can defend and attack in equal measure.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

https://twitter.com/Tino_LFC/status/952287423945420801

Tenuous but a recognised goal scorer would be good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,489 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

2pts off City in last 6 games played.
    6pts off City in last 10 games played

I'd be pretty sure Icardi will end up in Madrid.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 33,268 CMod ✭✭✭✭ShamoBuc

Nike socks surely a sign, Madrid are Adidas, but would he be that clever?

We've score more than City in last 12 league games.

ShamoBuc wrote: »
    Nike socks surely a sign, Madrid are Adidas, but would he be that clever?

Barca then and they let Griezmann go to utd.

Nike Skateboarding socks .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

https://twitter.com/Tino_LFC/status/952287423945420801

Tenuous but a recognised goal scorer would be good.

He's better than a 1 in 2 striker for Inter?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Bit like all the ex Liverpool players inc Carra & Stevie G doing punditry work for Sky who were a sister company of the Sun (both companies owned by News International) but they always get/got a free pass because we all like watching the footie on Sky don't we?

Also, if it's such a big sin to work for a company who receive some of their income from sponsorship by the Sun why doesn't the same principle apply to boycotting companies who actually provide the Sun with income such as Paddy Power, Ryanair and Aer Lingus who all advertised their services in the Sun over the years? Shouldn't giving the Sun money be a bigger sin than working for a company which extracts money from them? If Ronnie is criticised for working for RTE (or whoever was taking sponsorship from the Sun) why aren't we all equally guilty for flying Ryanair or Aer Lingus or betting with Paddy Power?

FYI I'm 100% onboard with boycotting the Sun but not so much with the a la carte hypocrisy of targeting some people who indirectly engage in commercial activity with it and not others.

We top table over last 5 games. Hope we beat them as usual.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

A win tomorrow would be delicious considering:

W - 3rd
    D - 4th
    L - 5th

So we have gone from The Fab Four to The Terrific Three.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement