Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,966 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Coutinho was welcomed back into the team after throwing his strop, van Dijk was not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Keep hold of Coutinho in the summer & FSG would deserve huge credit.

I can't see that happening though.

If we got Lemar & Goretzka in that would be good business. But Lemar won't ever reach Coutinho's level imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Is VVD fit. Will he make bench next game?
    Who drops out of squad to make way

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

ebbsy wrote: »
    I wouldn't worry about his recent form. He didn't want to be there and that was fairly certain.

Wasn't lovren the same , and he turned out ok......oh wait :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

The way Klopp works, I wouldn’t be surprised if we don’t see VVD start a game until Swansea away.

Fair play for getting this signing done.

2 more positions to sort out and we are on to a good thing.

We now have to come up with a new thing to complain about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

We now have to come up with a new thing to complain about.

There’s still Mignolet, Moreno and Lovren.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Had a quick look in the Utd thread and I'm amazed how much they're discussing the VVD signing.

Do Utd signings generate as much discussion here? I don't think so.

Ox turns down Chelsea
    VVD turns down City

The Klopp Effect

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes he's fit. I think Lovren is in trouble.

I'm hoping that VVD and Matip form a partnership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,370 ✭✭✭✭8-10

Haven't posted here in a couple of months* but jaysus the VVD news is exciting. Exactly the age profile you want for a CB coming in, already with PL experience and eligible for the CL.

With Keita in the summer, 2018 is already shaping up nicely.

Too many draws this season already but really enjoying watching every game, we're playing some really good stuff on our day - the Spartak 7-0 game was the best performance I've seen live in many many years.

Hope you all had a great Christmas and here's to a great 2018!

niallo27 wrote: »
    Full meltdown on the utd thread, at least the Vd signing is deflecting from Jose comments which were deflecting from the recent poor results. It's a whole lot of deflection

****ing hell. Had a quick look and a massive lemon fell out of my phone. Nearly broke the glass on the coffee table.

Stay safe folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

murpho999 wrote: »
    Had a quick look in the Utd thread and I'm amazed how much they're discussing the VVD signing.

They’re deflecting away from discussing the result yesterday. It’s Mourinho 101.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

MD1990 wrote: »
    Keep hold of Coutinho in the summer & FSG would deserve huge credit.

I can't see that happening though.

If we got Lemar & Goretzka in that would be good business. But Lemar won't ever reach Coutinho's level imo.

Lemar at 22 is a much better player than Phil was at the same age, I think it’s very possible he could reach the same level if not surpass it. Only time will tell though, it’d be nice to have both in the squad and hold onto them for a long time, we’d know for sure then.

Old Trafford is a bit of a retirement home of late, too many players of 29 and more in squad

Matic for 45m at his age, like WTF is he going to do.. he winding down now, not looking to dominated the world.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    They’re deflecting away from discussing the result yesterday. It’s Mourinho 101.

It's totally bizarre. You'd swear they spent peanuts on players. A bit bitter I guess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Next season (I know it looks a bit scary without Coutinho)

NEW
    Gomez---Matip--VVD--Robertson
    Goretzka
    Keita
    Lallana
    --Salah----Firmino---Mane

Subs Karius, TAA, Hendo, Ox-Cham, Wiji, Woodburn, Origi (if he develops at Wolfsburg)

I hope Woodburn is not loaned but is eased in over next season

Would Lemar be a bench option or is that now Lallana's fate? If so it's hard to see a place for Henderson at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

That United thread certainly hasn’t dissapointed tonight, a late Christmas present but definitely one of the better ones. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

It's important to note that if people are unsure about the 75 mil transfer, even Everton are spending 50 mil on one player and that's on the likes of Gylfi Sigurdsson.

Premier League is big money, the likes of Sunderland getting more for being relegated than Bayern Munich get for winning the league says it all.

The last time i was amazed by a transfer fee was when Man U paid 90 million for Pogba. Once the Neymar deal happened, i realised it doesn't matter anymore. Just focus on the player and what he brings to the team and not what he takes from the coffers.

We obviously needed to improve the defense, Klopp clearly wanted this specific player and wasn't willing to spend millions on what he regards as second best and so he waited for him to become available again.

I'm trusting Klopp's judgement on this one and i also like the way there's some opposition fans who are getting grumpy with the fact we've finally managed to sign him and that he really really wanted to sign for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

murpho999 wrote: »

I think big money signings are expected with the two Manchester clubs and Chelsea. Us not to much.

Plus they love talking about us anyway at the best of times. It's a perfect storm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Next season (I know it looks a bit scary without Coutinho)

NEW
    Gomez---Matip--VVD--Robertson
    Goretzka
    Keita
    Lallana
    --Salah----Firmino---Mane

Subs Karius, TAA, Hendo, Ox-Cham, Wiji, Woodburn, Origi (if he develops at Wolfsburg)

I hope Woodburn is not loaned but is eased in over next season

Would Lemar be a bench option or is that now Lallana's fate? If so it's hard to see a place for Henderson at all.

I'd hope Solanke would be ahead of Origi by next season. Been quite impressed with his cameos this season. Looks more suited to the system then Origi, who in my opinion, looked very laboured and robotic last season anytime he played.

Also, if still expect Clyne to be around next season.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    It's totally bizarre. You'd swear they spent peanuts on players. A bit bitter I guess.

When they spend big "it's not my money", "transfer fees are irrelevant". When City spend big, "bloody oil money, buying it". When Liverpool spend big (i.e. this year mostly) "hypocrites", "blah, blah, blah".

I personally think it's daft money. If it somehow means that we turn out far more stable and concede less after this point, then great. I think though that we'll still continue to see individual mistakes, but hopefully not.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'd hope Solanke would be ahead of Origi by next season. Been quite impressed with his cameos this season. Looks more suited to the system then Origi, who in my opinion, looked very laboured and robotic last season anytime he played.

I'm not sure Clyne will be myself - anyway it struck me that Gomez would be a better starter as he can offer flexible cover during a game esp formation changes

• Advertisement

I hope Brewster is ahead of both of them, he's getting to old now to not be in first team squad. He's good enough, could be next Mbapp eh ?

5starpool wrote: »
    When they spend big "it's not my money", "transfer fees are irrelevant". When City spend big, "bloody oil money, buying it". When Liverpool spend big (i.e. this year mostly) "hypocrites", "blah, blah, blah".

I personally think it's daft money. If it somehow means that we turn out far more stable and concede less after this point, then great. I think though that we'll still continue to see individual mistakes, but hopefully not.

The money is absolutely bonkers, but so is all premiership fees. Personally I'd love to see the whole bubble explode,but it is what it is.

Salah for 40ish sounds ok. Wonder what he'd cost now...

Clyne might miss the entire season. More hope than expectation that he'll be as good as he was when/if he returns.

Yep, read someone saying how they only spent €89 million on Lukaku. But he’s a sh!te defender, gifted City a goal a few weeks ago, and the same against Burnley yesterday.

Van Dijk looking like a bargain already.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

All football fans need to calm down about money.

Every manager at a top club is a chequebook manager. They're all at it. It's not an insult anymore.

After Pogba's signing for Utd, Klopp said he doesn't want to be a part of 'this football'. Stupid thing to say in hindsight. But you know what? Football has a stupid amount of money in it. Small clubs don't have to sell at a price that they don't want anymore, and the market is insane.

It's just the way it is.

Football fans will give themselves aneurysms over fees if they're not careful. They're meaningless at this stage.

Just enjoy the players that come.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Ox turns down Chelsea
    VVD turns down City

The Klopp Effect

Ox takes a pay cut to come ro liverpool.
    VVD turns down city
    Keita chooses liverpool over Barcelona.

Kloop is the real deal.

Would love to see him work his magic on coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,941 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Everyone is forgetting Mane turned down utd as well.

The money is absolutely bonkers, but so is all premiership fees. Personally I'd love to see the whole bubble explode,but it is what it is.

Salah for 40ish sounds ok. Wonder what he'd cost now...

This is it exactly. Pretend we paid 75 million for Salah and 35 million for VVD and it's all good. It makes no difference to us fans and once the club can afford the fees and are not putting us into a financial mess, then i'm delighted FSG are once again financially backing their manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Augeo wrote: »
    Clyne might miss the entire season. More hope than expectation that he'll be as good as he was when/if he returns.

Clyne had been poor for quite a while before he got injured in my opinion.

Can't blame attacking players for turning down Mourinho.

They won't flourish under him and his negative football.

I think you're forgetting that Man U didn't want him anyway.

All joking aside, I think supporters want to see ambition and this is the obviously showing ambition. It's strengthing a weak area of the team.

So hats off to the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Long-term I see Gomez as the other 1st choice centre-half. I think they'd compliment each other quite well. However, I don't believe we will get to see it this season, maybe in an FA Cup game, fitness to others permitting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Its a ****ing fantastic signing, just for the reaction alone.

Ok.. crazy money but still worth it.

Klopp turned down United too.

• Advertisement

Charlie19 wrote: »
    Its a ****ing fantastic signing, just for the reaction alone.

Ok.. crazy money but still worth it.

BT and Sky are paying for it, it's a gift from them for Christmas.

Official now.

Deqq2zc_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

martyos121 wrote: »
    That United thread certainly hasn’t dissapointed tonight, a late Christmas present but definitely one of the better ones. :D

They are so tragically predictable (bit like how they play), so blinded by Jose's BS, so desperately clinging onto the past and best of all they are so so salty that we're building something special which with the addition of VVD (and one or two more key signings not least a GK and a quality replacement for Coutinho who will get his wish to join Barca) will add defensive solidity to an amazingly incisive attack whilst they are having to settle for Jose's turgid hoof ball against weaker teams and park the bus against quality teams.

It's a great time to be a Liverpool fan and there even better tines ahead!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

The difference is we sign players that fit the club. So Matip was free, he is what was wanted. VVD cost 75 million. Doesnt matter he is what was wanted.

The difference is other clubs sign big names to appease sponsors. We sign players we need.........................

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

stfu about money

Jesus Wept wrote: »
    stfu about money

1492691196_frank-reynolds-money.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,281 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Mr.H wrote: »
    The difference is we sign players that fit the club. So Matip was free, he is what was wanted. VVD cost 75 million. Doesnt matter he is what was wanted.

The difference is other clubs sign big names to appease sponsors. We sign players we need.........................

Some sign players represented by certain agents as well.

Klopp wanted VVD as he believes he fits in his system, he got him. Hopefully he'll hit the ground running and be a successful foil at CB for Matip. I'd still even try for de Vrij from Lazio who's been told he can go.

After Neymar, transfer costs really don't mean anything. The EPL is awash with cash. You have Bournemouth for example spending £20 million on Nathan Ake, Stoke signing Kevin Wimmer for £18 million, Watford spending £18 million on Andre Gray.

A club is willing to spend what it takes to sign the player they want. The selling club can pretty much hold out for as much as they like in this market. Transfer costs, you may as well keep them undisclosed for they matter very little now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,689 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Really happy about the VVD signing, if Man City had of landed him then it would have set the Klopp project back by another 6 months and maybe even more if the right player couldnt be found.

Lots of posters on here touting Lemar as a replacement for Coutinho. Am I missing something here, was there ever any indication that Lemar would come?

Agreed. To be honest I dont give a toss about transfer fees. Its all monopoly money anyway.

I just want us to improve our team. We badly need a leader at the back to help stop the leak. If VVD can help our defence and keeper to focus then I am all for it. If he can bring a little confidence to our backline then maybe that confidence will rub off on others. Maybe Lovren Migs or Karius will improve as a result?? Stranger things have happened.

We needed a defender and we have our first choice target at last. No excuses. If he flops then its on Klopp.

I am optimistic though. Our defense has started to look better recently and this (at least strength in depth) is only gonna make it better

• Advertisement

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Really happy about the VVD signing, if Man City had of landed him then it would have set the Klopp project back by another 6 months and maybe even more if the right player couldnt be found.

Lots of posters on here touting Lemar as a replacement for Coutinho. Am I missing something here, was there ever any indication that Lemar would come?

I thought all the Lemar to Liverpool talk was from Lemars end (his agent) rather than ours?

Personally I dont think a replacement for Coutinho is a priority. We have Firmino and Lallana who can both play there as well as Ox and Wjini. Our priority now has to be to bring in a full back keeper or midfielder who can tackle

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement