Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    The mistakes he is making are nearly all the same - he is not learning And they are all very preventable - namely by being aware and staying switched on.

He's (currently) the definition of a liability and you'd be calling him one if he played for another team.

He made a lot of good interceptions and tackles yesterday.

He is not a liability in anyway.

Also very young and still developing.

Are you calling for him to be dropped?

We've just beaten City, the best team in England and people are complaining about this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Referee in the PSG game yesterday. The player who bumped into him, he tries to kick, and then he sends him off after giving him a 2nd yellow for accident.

Ref absolutely lost his head :pac:

https://streamable.com/1z7cs

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

Probably been discussed to death so sorry for not scrolling back, but what a liability Gomez is. He's game but is just not learning - has been the fault of some big goals this year including the first by City yesterday... and was nearly caught again napping back post again when 4-1 up, he just switches off way too much.

He's been at fault for a few lately iirc and they're quite noticeable too, on a whole this season he's made incredible strides along with trent. I do wonder where klopp sees gomez playing in the future, we all know he was bought as a young centre back but has only played full back thus far. I know it's easy for a manager to play a young centre back at full back for damage limitations and to ease them into the team but wonder will klopp keep him at full back? He's been brilliant in games this season and by in large he's been fairly faultless so I can easily cut him slack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Apart from Karius who was 4m.

Our transfer business in the last few years has been excellent. Now if we can just stop selling our best players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Wheety wrote: »
    I think we'll beat City :eek:

:D

• Advertisement

SlickRic wrote: »
    Could it finally be that everyone else FINALLY realises who the main man at Anfield is?

Looks that way, probably better if he didn't get the recognition though!

Interesting article, can't decide if the extract below is hyperbole or great journalism:
    For a moment the ball seemed to hang dreamily under the lights, the air rushing out of the stadium, before falling in a gentle parabola and bouncing in off the post.

Knex. wrote: »
    Referee in the PSG game yesterday. The player who bumped into him, he tries to kick, and then he sends him off after giving him a 2nd yellow for accident.

Ref absolutely lost his head :pac:

https://streamable.com/1z7cs

Saw this. Surely it will be rescinded and ref disciplined. It's happened plenty of times where the ref runs across the path of a player and is sent flying and nothing comes of it.

Which Liverpool player was it who ran in to the referee a few years ago and pushed him out of the way? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

See, think bridge and there'll be a bridge :D
    Sterling V Robertson
    That will be a good battle. I can't see Robertson bombing forward and making it easy for
    him like Moreno would.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Saw this. Surely it will be rescinded and ref disciplined. It's happened plenty of times where the ref runs across the path of a player and is sent flying and nothing comes of it.

Which Liverpool player was it who ran in to the referee a few years ago and pushed him out of the way? :D

Toure absolutely battered the ref once :D

nklDmiy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

klose wrote: »
    He's been at fault for a few lately iirc and they're quite noticeable too, on a whole this season he's made incredible strides along with trent. I do wonder where klopp sees gomez playing in the future, we all know he was bought as a young centre back but has only played full back thus far. I know it's easy for a manager to play a young centre back at full back for damage limitations and to ease them into the team but wonder will klopp keep him at full back? He's been brilliant in games this season and by in large he's been fairly faultless so I can easily cut him slack.

Absolutely agree, the lad has serious potential, and we should be nurturing it. He is going to make mistakes along the way, but they are not completely unexpected for someone of his age and experience. I think we have one hell of a defender on our hands with Gomez, and we need to give him all the opportunities he needs to flourish. There are always a few people who have a "throw the baby out with the bathwater" mentality when one of team makes a couple of errors.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

Vicxas wrote: »
    Also, as if this couldnt get any better:

https://twitter.com/football_bang/status/952619744590487553
    Mother of sufferin jaysus that guy must be on day release..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,797 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

In other news, we are being linked with Suso this morning.

Crazy if true.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Demosthenese

On Gomez - i always wondered why he couldn't get in last season when Lucas was drafted in before him and our lads were having a few nightmares. I thought surely Klopp didn't rate him - played in Carabag cup etc only.

He's come on well at full back though and he is good in the tackle and very good going forward which surprised me. He makes mistakes, like everyone does. Of course, he has the youth card to play whereas Lovren for example does not. So he will be forgiven more or less for a few of these. The key is though how he deals with these setbacks. Learn from the mistake and do not repeat. It wasn't so long ago we seen Flanagan look the part and then fall from grace very quickly. TAA also seems to flatter to deceive and then look awesome at times. They are young - and they need time - the PL is a harsh environment to thrive in. I'm not saying we should be giving him endless chances after mistakes are made - but just that we judge him at the end of the season after a succession of games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be fair I have blamed Gomez a couple of times this season but we need I be careful. Yes point out mistakes but like Trent let's not write them off yet. At heir age they are still learning and will make the occasional mistake. That's why we need experienced players around them to keep him calm and help when needed.

Virgil being there will be a huge help. His communication skills on the field will make them better players and hopefully help them to reach their potential.

Hopefully we can brake the bank either now or in June and buy a top class keeper. I know he has his choice of clubs but donnurama (sp?) Has to at least be tried for. 40-50 million for that kid and 100k a week and we could have one of the future best keepers on the planet for the next 15 years. Surely worth the investment. Or at least just try for a top class keeper. No more taking chances on could be's

Knex. wrote:

Hopefully the ref is banned for a long long time. Can't encourage that kinda attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Mr.H wrote:
    I know he has his choice of clubs but donnurama (sp?) Has to at least be tried for. 40-50 million for that kid and 100k a week and we could have one of the future best keepers on the planet for the next 15 years. Surely worth the investment. Or at least just try for a top class keeper. No more taking chances on could be's

He's on twice that a week now, his performances this season have dropped & PSG/Real are looking more towards Alisson at Roma if paper talk is to believed. Who unlike Donnarumma is great with the ball at his feet

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Gomez has the same problem that Can had when playing right back or the right of the central 3. Once the ball is being swung over to the back post, he cant read what's around him and judge the flight of the ball.
    Yesterday was another case of this although it was way outside the box.
    It was the exact same thing for another goal we conceded recently.

Have to admit, that was some game yesterday that was.

On Gomez - i always wondered why he couldn't get in last season when Lucas was drafted in before him and our lads were having a few nightmares. I thought surely Klopp didn't rate him - played in Carabag cup etc only.

Iirc wasn't he just back from a bad injury at the time? We can see how klopp likes to take his time bringing back players from bad injuries. Look at Ings and lallana, and they are senior players

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

"SALAH! Do do do do do do
    Oh MANE, MANE! Do do do do do do
    Bobby FIRMINO!
    We don't need Coutinho..."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

"SALAH! Do do do do do do
    Oh MANE, MANE! Do do do do do do
    Bobby FIRMINO!
    We don't need Coutinho..."

Looks photoshopped to me.

• Advertisement

ERG89 wrote:
    He's on twice that a week now, his performances this season have dropped & PSG/Real are looking more towards Alisson at Roma if paper talk is to believed. Who unlike Donnarumma is great with the ball at his feet

He is on 200k a week at Milan? Surely not. Even so for the right keeper I'd make him one of our best paid. Only problem is firmino Salah Mane and Virgil will all want an increase.

I haven't had time to watch much Milan this year so maybe your right about the performances. But hen again age will play it's part there.

I hate naming players to sign anyway as its too much fantasy. We have scouts that should be well able to find someone without my help. I just hope that they are looking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

fyfe79 wrote: »
    Looks photoshopped to me.

It’s a really good one if it is struggling to see where joins might be.

I'm wondering is it time to just give karius a run in the team and see what happens with Virgil in front of him. I can't for the life of me understand goal keeper rotation. Or if not karius what about ward. If the defence and goalie dont change for say 10 games it might reveal who is the best in defence.
    Of the defence only Virgil and Robertson are starters at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Stoke appoint new manager in Paul Lambert. Look at fixture list not till 2nd last game of season. Usually we get the brunt of the new manager bounce

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'm wondering is it time to just give karius a run in the team and see what happens with Virgil in front of him. I can't for the life of me understand goal keeper rotation. Or if not karius what about ward. If the defence and goalie dont change for say 10 games it might reveal who is the best in defence.
    When will people learn Karius is a bad goal keeper lets accept it and move on,
    Its not as if he is making the odd mistake that he can iron out of his game, he is literally poor at all aspects of goal keeping, He is yet to have a good game for us,
    Even when we don't concede he looks awful , he take an age to kick the ball or make any decision ,In 35 years of watching Liverpool he is the worst keeper iv seen for us,
    He never saves a shot unless its something rolling at him that's been hit from 35 yards,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,295 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd57LgfH3tX/

Utd fans have taken the recent Liverpool song very bad .... they seem to be obsessed by everything Liverpool do

Best thing there is that he spent time to get UTD on his forehead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

murpho999 wrote: »
    He made a lot of good interceptions and tackles yesterday.

He is not a liability in anyway.
    Judging the flight of the ball is a weakness in his game, Lovren is the same.

It's something that opposing managers pick up on have tried to exploit in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

It doesn't really matter which keeper it is, they both keep making mistakes on a continuous basis. The more one of them sits on the bench the better they look with the other playing.
    Ward must not be doing it in training, I doubt he looks the best and Klopp is starting the other two.
    VVD and Robertson have nailed down their positions. Gomez is still right choice RB (even after the mistake he made). So 3 CDFs trying to get in there.

Talisman wrote: »
    Judging the flight of the ball is a weakness in his game
    I don't see that in his game. Not excusing the mistakes against Arsenal (poor awareness) or City, but it's not like there's a plethora of examples where he's misjudged it to the point where it's a glaring weakness on his part.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I dunno about Ward not doing it in training. Look at Robertson / Moreno situation. Robertson couldn't get a look in for the life of us. Klopp is too loyal at times and believes the player can transform into better players all of the time. I think this could be one of those times with the keepers. The more fan pressure put on the keepers, the more Klopp will try to stick up for the player in a way. We haven't seen enough from Ward to say either way. He was doing well out on loan and for the life of me I can't understand why he wasn't allowed to go back to Huddersfield on loan and gain the vital experience playing in league week in/out.

We can all see the gk position is probably our priority right now and tbh I'd be looking at another cb and cdm as well.

• Administrators Posts: 54,111 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Having Van Dijk in front of him is not going to fix him making basic mistakes. Van Dijk would have made absolutely no difference whatsoever for their first goal yesterday. The two centre halves have to face the ball when it's being crossed from deep, Gomez is behind both of them and it's his own responsibility to not get sucked in too narrow. And then Karius just has to make that save at the front post, there are no excuses.

Van Dijk will improve us but he's not superhuman, he's only one player. He can't stop a lad (who isn't a natural full back in fairness) from coming narrow, he can't stop a goalkeeper setting himself up wrong for shots.

Maybe if Karius was showing promise you could argue with giving him a run and see how it goes, but he is just consistently bad with some really bad errors. He just isn't good enough.

The ref has been suspended:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/42688079

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Its not as if he is making the odd mistake that he can iron out of his game, he is literally poor at all aspects of goal keeping, He is yet to have a good game for us,
    Even when we don't concede he looks awful , he take an age to kick the ball or make any decision ,In 35 years of watching Liverpool he is the worst keeper iv seen for us,
    He never saves a shot unless its something rolling at him that's been hit from 35 yards,

Howya

6tihxs.jpg

Yawns wrote: »
    I dunno about Ward not doing it in training. Look at Robertson / Moreno situation. Robertson couldn't get a look in for the life of us. Klopp is too loyal at times and believes the player can transform into better players all of the time. I think this could be one of those times with the keepers. The more fan pressure put on the keepers, the more Klopp will try to stick up for the player in a way. We haven't seen enough from Ward to say either way. He was doing well out on loan and for the life of me I can't understand why he wasn't allowed to go back to Huddersfield on loan and gain the vital experience playing in league week in/out.

We can all see the gk position is probably our priority right now and tbh I'd be looking at another cb and cdm as well.
    I wouldn't look at it the same, Kloop played Robertson at the start of the season and told him he had to improve on his fitness and how we wanted him how to play, its something Robertson has said himself,
    Roberston came in From Hull and very late in July missed most of preseason ,He had to make huge changes to his game to fit into our style and how our full backs play ,It took time,
    A keeper main objective is to stop the ball going into the net and my guess is Migs and Karius are better than Ward at this,

I think Mignolet should be kept in goals until we get an upgrade.

At least he's a good shot stopper and even has a decent record with penalties.

Mignolet has made some saves that have gained us points in the past whilst I can't remember Karius ever doing this.

Also, Karius's distribution seems poor, a few times yesterday, he rolled the ball out to our midfield but they were not in great positions at the time and were immediately under pressure.

• Advertisement

Howya

6tihxs.jpg
    I still think he is better than Karius

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I wouldn't look at it the same, Kloop played Robertson at the start of the season and told him he had to improve on his fitness and how we wanted him how to play, its something Robertson has said himself,
    Roberston came in From Hull and very late in July missed most of preseason ,He had to make huge changes to his game to fit into our style and how our full backs play ,It took time,
    A keeper main objective is to stop the ball going into the net and my guess is Migs and Karius are better than Ward at this,

Well the answer to that is buy 3 new keepers cos if they are that much better than Ward, we're ****ed. What's the current stat? 1 in 2 chance of a goal with a shot on target or near enough. Dreadful. Keeper beaten at his near post with hands down trying to punch it away.

I was all for given Karius a chance but let's be honest, he's certainly had a few of them at this stage and has not impressed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

In defence of Gomez yesterday, the lads on TV were talking about the wind, so it might have wobbled a bit around in the air and that's why it wrong-footed him.

Even so, Matip failed to block the shot and Karius' effort to save it was piss-weak, and Sane is a nightmare at the best of times.

No need to write him off on the basis of it.
    Other than that he had a very good game. That he kept Sane as quiet as he did when he's made a fool out of many a full back this season is more important than one mistake with mitigating circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Harmless enough to be fair

Mignolet a decent PL keeper before joining us.
    Karius one highly rated keeper in the Bundesliga before joining us.
    Ward went away on loan and was one of the best keepers in the Championship.

Reina's decline was halted after he left the club.

Jones went on to win the Eredivisie.
    Gulacsi has gone on to be one of the top keepers in the Bundesliga.

What links them all.

Achterberg when they move away from his coaching they get better.

Doni was a good keeper in Serie A but health issues there nothing to do with Achterberg.

Now the issue here is Rafa hired him, Roy, Kenny, Rodgers and Klopp have all kept him on and they all know a hell of a lot more about football than any of us but looking in from the outside Achterberg seems to be the common denominator in all our goalkeeping issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I suspect this was taking the p!ss out of the Keita rumours

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I still think he is better than Karius

:D That dose got fcuked out of Shelbourne he was so bad.

I think we as a fanbase seem to forget how bad some of our keepers have been.

Bogdan, Peggy?

I don't think any of our keepers are good enough but i never ever want to see Simon in goal for us again. He has been at the crime scene too many times for me over the last 4+ years. At least with Karius you hope he can improve.

A big point about the game yesterday was that although he should've done better for the first goal, he wasn't to blame for either of the others scored.

I heard on the Anfield Wrap that Lovren and Matip were amazing yesterday.

Yes they were very good at times but Matip (And Joe) were shocking for the 1st goal and Lovren's was a joke for the 3rd.

Anyway my point is that yes he isn't good enough long-term, but I'd much prefer him over simple Simon. It's obvious Klopp rates him the best of the three and doesn't rate Ward so we just have to get used to Karius for the rest of the season. Unless he ****s one into the net; which granted it could happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I thought Rafa's guy was Xavi Valero?

brevity wrote: »
    I thought Rafa's guy was Xavi Valero?

Achterberg has been at the club since 2009.

Rafa started losing a lot of his coaching staff in the last couple of seasons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Has karius ever made one save of note for us,if he has I can't remember it,as bad as migs is he has made some really good stops along the way in-between his howlers

Yawns wrote: »

GK is a glaring weakness. Klopp already signed one keeper, and I've no doubt they'll try sign one again in the Summer. That's why I doubt Ward is lighting it up training. Might be worth a shot giving him a game in the FA Cup at least.

Reina's decline was halted after he left the club.
    Not trying to disprove your theory, but I saw a good bit of Reina when he left, and he was quiet error prone. Haven't really seen him this year, by all accounts having a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I don't see that in his game. Not excusing the mistakes against Arsenal (poor awareness) or City, but it's not like there's a plethora of examples where he's misjudged it to the point where it's a glaring weakness on his part.
    It's not something that is seen in every game but it has happened a few times this season.

Back in November, Chelsea isolated him in their quest for an equaliser - before Willian's goal there were a number of balls from the right into Gomez's zone.

Zappacosta crossed for Alonso to have a shot.
    Morata had a shot from a Zappacosta cross.
    Morata dropped in a ball for Hazard but he was judged to be offside.
    Willian replaced Zappacosta for the last 10 minutes or so and his attempted ball into the same area went in the net.

It's early days in his career but it is certainly something he needs to improve - hopefully playing alongside Virgil will help.

Gbear wrote: »
    In defence of Gomez yesterday, the lads on TV were talking about the wind, so it might have wobbled a bit around in the air and that's why it wrong-footed him.

Even so, Matip failed to block the shot and Karius' effort to save it was piss-weak, and Sane is a nightmare at the best of times.

No need to write him off on the basis of it.
    Other than that he had a very good game. That he kept Sane as quiet as he did when he's made a fool out of many a full back this season is more important than one mistake with mitigating circumstances.

I would agree that it was shocking for matip to not even make an attempt to block it. I know he was in the box but make a challenge and if the pen is given so be it but I'm of the opinion it was shocking for matip to not even challenge for it.

Not trying to disprove your theory, but I saw a good bit of Reina when he left, and he was quiet error prone. Haven't really seen him this year, by all accounts having a good season.

I will bow to your expertise since you played and coached the game.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement