Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Shirley the 4th official could see the kick from the ref and sent him off .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Has karius ever made one save of note for us,if he has I can't remember it,as bad as migs is he has made some really good stops along the way in-between his howlers

He was really good vs Southampton in the league cup semi final last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

I will bow to your expertise since you played and coached the game.
    Awwwwww, touched a sensitive nerve it seems. Bless.

I watched games where Reina payed after he left, he made mistakes. Not drawing anything conclusive from it, just stating it (sorry that's too much for you).

Shirley the 4th official could see the kick from the ref and sent him off .
    Don't call me Shirley :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Awwwwww, touched a sensitive nerve it seems. Bless.

I watched games where Reina payed after he left, he made mistakes. Not drawing anything conclusive from it, just stating it (sorry that's too much for you).

Did you play and coach in England or over here? Genuinely interested.

Did you play and coach in England or over here? Genuinely interested.
    Just here.
    BTW, it was in reference to someone not wanting any degree of analysis/criticism (negativity in their words) of the way we almost dropped 2pts from 3 goal lead. We should all be happy (which we were with the win) and just leave it at that.
    Pointing out issues, analyzing what we got wrong, and striving to get better; isn't the same as constant criticism. So nothing really to do with playing/coaching, but more that we don't need to be mindless cheerleaders.

Sky reporting that Utd will pay Sanchez more than £350k a week; so no wonder we aren't evening bidding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭Ardent

monkey9 wrote: »
    I’ll go mad if we have to put up with that Mane Salah song much longer. That better not become a thing.
    Was it sung by the crowd at the game?

Sky reporting that Utd will pay Sanchez more than £350k a week; so no wonder we aren't evening bidding.

United in a retirement village these days, looks like the have another lodger. Zero motivation to even try win anything on those wages, getting that contract is enough of a win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

United in a retirement village these days, looks like the have another lodger. Zero motivation to even try win anything on those wages, getting that contract is enough of a win.

Yeah hes 29 and the money is absolutely ridiculous in terms of wages.... UTD fans will zero ****s as they are minted beyond belief. Bottom line is he is world class and will make them better which is bad news for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,363 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

there's no reason for him to come here, unless he idolises Klopp.

Utd will give him the money he craves.
    City will give him the success he might want.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Just here.
    BTW, it was in reference to someone not wanting any degree of analysis/criticism (negativity in their words) of the way we almost dropped 2pts from 3 goal lead. We should all be happy (which we were with the win) and just leave it at that.
    Pointing out issues, analyzing what we got wrong, and striving to get better; isn't the same as constant criticism. So nothing really to do with playing/coaching, but more that we don't need to be mindless cheerleaders.

I kinda agree with you but I'm a fan of looking at the performance the day after rather than straight away as I like to enjoy the victory for what it was.

Who did you play for and coach? It's good to have a poster who can add some expert analytical value to the forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

How are they going to convince Mkhitaryan to go to Arsenal? I take it that's what's taking so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

Klopp has confirmed that Karius is no 1 from now on it seems

Slightly odd and abrupt change of heart but thats our Kloppo!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Alonso77 wrote: »

Karius hasn't been good but in fairness he hasn't had much of a chance to play himself into form. David de Gea wasn't great in his first season either. What we are certain of is Mignolet's level - we've seen five seasons of it. He is nowhere near good enough.

We need a new keeper in the summer unless Karius shows a huge upswing in form.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Grayditch wrote: »
    How are they going to convince Mkhitaryan to go to Arsenal? I take it that's what's taking so long.

- Never have to track back
    - London
    - No Mourinho
    - Might win an FA Cup
    - Can it really be worse?

Liverpool need to up their game with better commercial deals. Need to climb that list of richest clubs. Not right that little teams like plastic flag Chelsea and Arsenal sit above us in that table.

Mignolet is a shot stopper and can play out. Karius hoofs it long every time and never plays out.
    Mignolet makes howlers once in a blue moon, but Karius has too. It's because Carra and media and fans say Mingolet is better option of the two that Klopp will play Karius.

I kinda agree with you but I'm a fan of looking at the performance the day after rather than straight away as I like to enjoy the victory for what it was.

Who did you play for and coach? It's good to have a poster who can add some expert analytical value to the forum.
    Certainly not claiming to have that :)
    I'm just into analyzing the game due to my own background in sport.
    Not saying that what I say is right/wrong, just want to give my opinion (it's a discussion forum after all) like everyone else. You'll rarely see me say someone is totally wrong with their opinion, cause none of us see the players (i.e. when it comes to Ward) in training or any knocks/injuries they may have.
    But people moaning, about people moaning....... come on (but I do get your point about enjoying the win - which I think we all did - cause it's a huge 3pts to put significant space between ourselves are Arsenal).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Mignolet is a shot stopper and can play out.

What? Mignolet's distribution is awful. It's one of his many flaws. And he's supposed to be a shot stopper, at least that's what he was at Sunderland, but the stats show that he has not been a good one over the last five years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,321 ✭✭✭Brego888

Brego888 wrote: »
    I'm over for my first game of the season today and all that is stuck in my heads is "Salah.... Oh Mane Mane..."

Boom. What a game!

never coached the game so my opinion is as relevant as a my limp wristed pompom action- i would suggest that to stop the moaning about people moaning about the moaning is to stop the moaning in the first place and enjoy the immediate aftermath of a fine win

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I wanted Karius to be given a run in the team but fk me it would be nice if he ever showed even a glimpse of any actual ability, as others have said he has barely made a save of note in any game he has played, he doesn't do the basics right at all, he looks like a lost cause to be honest. I'd be amazed if he turned it around a la DeGea who was flappy when he came in but was still pulling off some great saves in between the howlers. I suppose it's ok to give him a few more games but any more errors and just put Mignolet back in for the rest of the season and upgrade in the summer, Mignolet does have an occasional purple patch and from what I've seen is definitely the better keeper of the two albeit the bar is set very low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I wanted Karius to be given a run in the team but fk me it would be nice if he ever showed even a glimpse of any actual ability, as others have said he has barely made a save of note in any game he has played, he doesn't do the basics right at all, he looks like a lost cause to be honest. I'd be amazed if he turned it around a la DeGea who was flappy when he came in but was still pulling off some great saves in between the howlers. I suppose it's ok to give him a few more games but any more errors and just put Mignolet back in for the rest of the season and upgrade in the summer, Mignolet does have an occasional purple patch and from what I've seen is definitely the better keeper of the two albeit the bar is set very low.

Klopp doesn't have faith in either of them going on yesterday comments pre-game. Reckon he is done with Mignolet anyway, so we should see atleast 1 goalkeeper coming in the summer.

never coached the game so my opinion is as relevant as a my limp wristed pompom action- i would suggest that to stop the moaning about people moaning about the moaning is to stop the moaning in the first place and enjoy the immediate aftermath of a fine win
    People can enjoy a win, but point out issues at the same time. Nothing mutually exclusive about it.
    You can always not moan about the moaning if you so wish.

People can enjoy a win, but point out issues at the same time. Nothing mutually exclusive about it.
    You can always not moan about the moaning if you so wish.

I def see the two of ye there alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,503 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Worst fcuking fans in the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

SlickRic wrote: »
    there's no reason for him to come here, unless he idolises Klopp.

Utd will give him the money he craves.
    City will give him the success he might want.

Funny that you often hear Utd fans say that City and Chelsea are ruining the game with football.

Truth is that all clubs will spend the cash if they have it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Think Bobby should wear another liverpool shirt under his, that way the next time he scores he can take it off and shake his finger as if to say "ah ah no booking " :-)

Hopefully it wouldnt be against the rules

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Think Bobby should wear another liverpool shirt under his, that way the next time he scores he can take it off and shake his finger as if to say "ah ah no booking " :-)

Hopefully it wouldnt be against the rules

It's a totally stupid rule that should be done away with it but in the mean time somebody should have a word with him and tell him to stop doing it.

Someday, he'll be already on a yellow but score, whip the shirt off and get himself sent off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭not yet

When will people learn Karius is a bad goal keeper lets accept it and move on,
    Its not as if he is making the odd mistake that he can iron out of his game, he is literally poor at all aspects of goal keeping, He is yet to have a good game for us,
    Even when we don't concede he looks awful , he take an age to kick the ball or make any decision ,In 35 years of watching Liverpool he is the worst keeper iv seen for us,
    He never saves a shot unless its something rolling at him that's been hit from 35 yards,

Howya

6tihxs.jpg
    I still think he is better than Karius
    Christy bleedin brown is better then Karius!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

murpho999 wrote: »
    Someday, he'll be already on a yellow but score, whip the shirt off and get himself sent off.

Or be 1 yellow away from a suspension

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

The rule is there supposedly to prevent any messages being shown but it's probably because of advertisers kicking up a fuss because they're not getting their name in lights when a player scores.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

There's no real benefit to Mignolet playing at this point.

At best he's marginally better than Karius (taking into account that he's probably better at shot stopping and a sort of savant when it comes to penalties) but there's still a chance that Karius can improve.

Once upon a time Victor Valdes was an absolute joke but as he matured, the **** ups decreased and he started picking up Zamora trophies in La Liga.
    Reina looked a clown early doors for us but eventually his distribution and shot stopping came to outweigh his wobbliness under the high ball.
    Even DeGea looked fairly dodgy for 6 months or so.

Things can change, perhaps with keepers most of all.

And even if they don't, choosing Mignolet is at best marginal, so we don't have much to lose IMO.
    The delay has been down to not wanting to put too much pressure on as much as anything, I'd say. I'm sure he wasn't ever planning on keeping Migs long term.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

On Gomez - i always wondered why he couldn't get in last season when Lucas was drafted in before him and our lads were having a few nightmares. I thought surely Klopp didn't rate him - played in Carabag cup etc only.

Sure he was injured last season. Only came back in January from what I remember and that was after the guts of 18 months out. No real surprise that he was used sparingly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Karius can be judged fairly after a run of 20 games.

Very unfair to judge him playing one game a month.

But to be fair on that he hasn’t shown much in those games.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

As for Mignolet and Karius I just feel better with Mignolet in goal. In between the errors he actually does make some good saves. I can barely remember Karius stopping anything that was on target since he arrived.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,659 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

Tusky wrote: »
    Karius hasn't been good but in fairness he hasn't had much of a chance to play himself into form. David de Gea wasn't great in his first season either. What we are certain of is Mignolet's level - we've seen five seasons of it. He is nowhere near good enough.

We need a new keeper in the summer unless Karius shows a huge upswing in form.
    DeGea was pretty ok at his start, crosses and in rushing forwards were his problem areas.
    His shot stopping was pretty good , iirc.
    Karius has shown nothing I can think of to pin our hopes on .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Gbear wrote: »

At best he's marginally better than Karius (taking into account that he's probably better at shot stopping and a sort of savant when it comes to penalties) but there's still a chance that Karius can improve.

Once upon a time Victor Valdes was an absolute joke but as he matured, the **** ups decreased and he started picking up Zamora trophies in La Liga.
    Reina looked a clown early doors for us but eventually his distribution and shot stopping came to outweigh his wobbliness under the high ball.

And even if they don't, choosing Mignolet is at best marginal, so we don't have much to lose IMO.
    The delay has been down to not wanting to put too much pressure on as much as anything, I'd say. I'm sure he wasn't ever planning on keeping Migs long term.

This.
    Basically, we know for sure mignolet is sh1te/not good enough.
    We suspect, but don't know for sure that Karius is sh1te/not good enough, but to be fair there isn't anything between them, and maybe, just maybe, karius will improve with a run. From Klopp interview before the game, I took it that he said that karius has the position now, and that it's his unless he loses it (i.e. has a monumental fvck up).
    Where is Ward in all this? Was progressing well until last year, not getting a look in at all now. Someone questioned the goalkeeping coaches here yesterday, something isn't right with how we are developing the keepe

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Gbear wrote: »

Stop please stop just accept it ,
    All the keepers you mention where fantastic shot stopper from the off , but they made mistakes and ironed them out,  Karius does NOTHING well , he is just a poor goal keeper , ,
    Karius rarely has an ok game, even when we beat Arsenal 4-0 he ran Ramsey close for worse player on the pitch that how bad he is,
    Migs is better play him , then get rid of both in the summer ,

Karius can be judged fairly after a run of 20 games.

Very unfair to judge him playing one game a month.

But to be fair on that he hasn’t shown much in those games.

He has shown nothing in all his time here to even remotely make me believe that he can use his hands effectively to make saves.

His hands. And he's a goalie. Minimal requirement, really. It's actually mental.

If its not a save that requires him to be off his line quick and use his wide frame to deflect the ball, then I pretty much have no confidence in him. I've been saying it since he joined us, and all his highlights from Mainz are pretty much of the same ilk.

He's also absolutely dire on the ball. He just panics.

His only traits where he shows any bit of competence is his quickness of his line and he seems fairly decent at coming for the ball and getting a fist to it.

I don't see him suddenly developing reflexes that allow him to make top saves, unfortunately.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,071 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

We've got Salah :D

https://www.facebook.com/FootballFightsBIGHits/videos/519851255063886/

He's only bloody gigging with the song now!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I can't stress enough how bad the Karius lad is , I don;lt think another prem team would have him starting ?
    If so can anyone mentioned one he'd be first choice for ?
    Migs would start for basically everyone outside of the top 6 , Migs isn't good enough to be first choice for us but he's miles ahead of Karius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Look at Bravo at City last year. Loads of talk of how he was good on the ball, quick to react and come off his line etc. Nobody realised that he couldn't actually save anything until it became so obvious. It's like all the extraneous modern day requirements of goalkeeping were more important than actually keeping the ball out of the net. They are important of course, but the number one requirement of any goalkeeper should always be to have the ability to make saves. Karius hasn't show this at all.

• Advertisement

Odd thing is, Mignolet was actually a decent shot stopper when he arrived, and he had periods of a few months where he was actually very good for us.

Nowadays he doesn't look too capable of pulling great saves off. Considering he's still only 29, that's a bit bizarre. Granted, the quality of chances that we cough up will always make our keepers look worse. They face less shots, but the shots they do face definitely have a higher chance of going in, regardless of the keeper involved. Such is the nature of our defence and team as a whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Every Liverpool keeper gets Achterberged and nothing will change until he is removed from the staff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Every Liverpool keeper gets Achterberged and nothing will change until he is removed from the staff.

It's really looking like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He is the only constant, therefore I'm happy to pin the blame on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Karius hasn't done anything to show he us the answer but in the same vein he hasn't really had a good run of games to show it back me way nor another. Anyone saying he isn't good enough is basing it off emotion rather than insight. It's like saying ward isn't good enough. FFS we haven't actually seen them play enough to judge them. Of course I want us to sign someone to fix this issue but the reality is if we don't give keepers a chance then why even bother signing another future not god enough? Give Karius the rest of the season. He proves himself, brilliant. If not we replace him. All I nohow is we would be kicking ourselves if he turned out to be class and ending up at Bayern

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement