Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Surprised there hasn't been any further developments on the Firmino/Holgate allegations, eerily quiet.

I was going to express some thoughts on the Suarez/Evra incident, with the benefit of hindsight and a few years more maturity on my side but I think I'll leave that be.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Surprised there hasn't been any further developments on the Firmino/Holgate allegations, eerily quiet.
    It's the FA, incompetence rules.
    What should have been sorted out 24hrs later, is being dragged out for a lengthy and time consuming process; they must be charging by the hour.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I was going to express some thoughts on the Suarez/Evra incident, with the benefit of hindsight and a few years more maturity on my side but I think I'll leave that be.

I think that ended up dragging up some incident from past tweets from Holgate rather than focusing on what happened which shifted the focus.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    I think that ended up dragging up some incident from past tweets from Holgate rather than focusing on what happened which shifted the focus.

Yeah his old tweets got holgate in trouble from what I remember. Hopefully no more comes of it in anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

It's the FA, incompetence rules.
    What should have been sorted out 24hrs later, is being dragged out for a lengthy and time consuming process; they must be charging by the hour.

Was only thinking about this..... has anything been said at all? Very strange.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah I saw some criticism of Wij after the match alright.... thought he was brilliant for the most part. He quite visibly messed up a few attacking opportunities alright, but he snuffed out so many of their attacks, and was fantastic with quick little bits of interplay in our half to keep possession, and kickstart attacks.

Nabby (I can't spell Key8a so he's Nabby for me from now on!!) must have watched the match on Sunday and be dying to get into the mix. It's hard to criticise Can's performance on Sunday, when he's on that form he's super but given his size I don't think it's his natural game and that he can do it week in week out but it looks much more like Nabby's game with the added value that he's much more of a threat going forward also.

Having a selection of Hendo (when fit and firing), Ox, Can (if he stays), Wiji, Nabby and Lallana when fit and firing will provide Klopp with 6 options for 3 spots in midfield and enable the continuous rotation his high tempo game requires if consistency is to be maintained throughout a full season and that's not counting Milner (who's will increasingly have a late sub "close down the game") type role albeit he didn't bring much calm and stability to proceedings on Sunday when he came on and Grugic who will hopefully develop into a MF option over the next year or two or any additions in the summer.

A top class GK, Clyne to return to add depth and experience to the RB role and one more forward to supplement Mane, Bobby and Salah and we'll be in great shape.

It's a work in progress but what a work in progress it is!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Nabby (I can't spell Key8a so he's Nabby for me from now on!!) must have watched the match on Sunday and be dying to get into the mix. It's hard to criticise Can's performance on Sunday, when he's on that form he's super but given his size I don't think it's his natural game and that he can do it week in week out but it looks much more like Nabby's game with the added value that he's much more of a threat going forward also.

Having a selection of Hendo (when fit and firing), Ox, Can (if he stays), Wiji, Nabby and Lallana when fit and firing will provide Klopp with 6 options for 3 spots in midfield and enable the continuous rotation his high tempo game requires if consistency is to be maintained throughout a full season and that's not counting Milner (who's will increasingly have a late sub "close down the game") type role albeit he didn't bring much calm and stability to proceedings on Sunday when he came on and Grugic who will hopefully develop into a MF option over the next year or two or any additions in the summer.

A top class GK, Clyne to return to add depth and experience to the RB role and one more forward to supplement Mane, Bobby and Salah and we'll be in great shape.

It's a work in progress but what a work in progress it is!!

You can't spell Naby either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Simon could be off according to Joyce.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Oh no!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/simon-mignolet-considering-liverpool-future-14160477

"After all that has happened this season, I know where I am at and the situation has become clearer," Mignolet said.

"Klopp told me honestly and personally in that conversation. Of course I am absolutely not satisfied with that, but I must always respect a decision of the coach. After all that has happened this season, I know where I am and the situation has become clearer.

"Then we played against Everton in the FA Cup and after a longer break the game followed against Manchester City. So I had a hunch of what would happen and that proved to be correct.

“I always try to stay quiet and calm. In the past I did come back stronger from such situations.

"But I must of course also think of my own future. The only thing I can do is focus on my training and do my best. I become 30 years old and the World Cup is coming this summer.

"This situation cannot take too long, which is clear. I cannot lose any more time.”

It's about time Mignolet considered his future. We've been doing it for 5 years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

brevity wrote: »
    Simon could be off according to Joyce.

Would expect that if Klopp has finally settled on Karius as number one. Maybe now or the summer but Mignolet could do a good job still.

Plus, he's a regular international so he wouldn't want to lose his club spot and potentially drop out of the Belgian national squads entirely.

Quotes below printed in the Echo. Looks pretty clear.
    "After all that has happened this season, I know where I am at and the situation has become clearer," Mignolet said.

"Klopp told me honestly and personally in that conversation. Of course I am absolutely not satisfied with that, but I must always respect a decision of the coach. After all that has happened this season, I know where I am and the situation has become clearer.

"Then we played against Everton in the FA Cup and after a longer break the game followed against Manchester City. So I had a hunch of what would happen and that proved to be correct.

“I always try to stay quiet and calm. In the past I did come back stronger from such situations.

"But I must of course also think of my own future. The only thing I can do is focus on my training and do my best. I become 30 years old and the World Cup is coming this summer.

"This situation cannot take too long, which is clear. I cannot lose any more time.”

He has denied having a bust-up with Klopp, as had been reported in Belgium apparently, but admitted the situation is not "healthy" for a goalkeeper.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Sappy404 wrote: »
    You can't spell Naby either.

Morto :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Probably be lucky to get 15m for Mignolet.

Struggling to think of a PL team that would want him.

MD1990 wrote: »
    Probably be lucky to get 15m for Mignolet.

Struggling to think of a PL team that would want him.

Stoke, if Butland left. West Ham, since the Hart experiment has failed.

Genuinely believe Mignolet would do fine for a side with a decent defensive organisation. He's not a bad shot stopper so if he was at a team like Burnley (not that they'd sign him with Heaton and Pope) who are well-organised and well-drilled, it'd probably work out fine.

I won't be sad to see the back of him but I could see him going on to be a perfectly competent keeper elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭Daemonic

It could also explain Klopp not allowing Ward out on loan for the season. He planned to make a decision during the season and if the unhappy GK wanted out he needs backup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Sorry, but it's about time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Won't lose much sleep if Mig goes.

I'd much rather Ward as a backup or even number 1 after some games

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I feel a bit sorry for Simon in a way. One high profile f*ck up v Arsenal apart he's been steady enough this season no? He's probably a better keeper than Karius (which wouldnt be hard) and rightly feels a bit hard done by. We obviously need an upgrade, and have done for years, but as it stands, he's the best we've got at the club. Cant comment on Ward because he's only played about 2 games for us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I'm sure that guy Neuer would like a new challenge. 7 years at Bayern, 10 years as a Bundesliga starter. He should come join the party, we want a sweeper keeper after all!

I won't miss the "look I'm shouting like a real commanding goalkeeper" face he makes when he catches the simplest of balls. His stats this season are horrific. It's good to know Klopp has some sort of limit.

Saying that, I hope he ends up somewhere he's happy enough. But seriously. No more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Goalkeeping isn't a hard position, granted the demands are probably greater now than they used to be regards being able to pass the ball, but I struggle to see why its do incredibly hard to get someone of reasonably high standard with all the scouting and money that clubs throw at it.
    The top goal keepers basically usually stand out by being able to focus on the game as opposed to having the best ticket in the stadium. (other than the sub goal keepers seat)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Roma have only conceded 14 goals in 19 league games this season, so that has to be an improvement if we get Alisson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Grayditch wrote: »
    I won't miss the "look I'm shouting like a real commanding goalkeeper" face he makes when he catches the simplest of balls. His stats this season are horrific. It's good to know Klopp has some sort of limit.

Saying that, I hope he ends up somewhere he's happy enough. But seriously. No more.
    He's still streets ahead of the other joker we call a keeper, makes no sense to me, Play the better of the two which is Migs and get rid of both in the summer ,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

He's still streets ahead of the other joker we call a keeper, makes no sense to me, Play the better of the two which is Migs and get rid of both in the summer ,

yourdeadwrong

yourdeadwrong
    Do you think Karius is Better ?
    Migs makes mistakes from time to time but he actually makes save to, Karius is the worst keeper iv seen at Liverpool in 35 years ,
    There is no part of goalkeeping that he is good at, he doesn'tt even open his hands when he dives for shot's , I think one save away to Saints in the cup last year is the only save iv seen him make that an outfield player wouldn't make,
    He is a terrible player,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

This reminds me of the time skrtel was dropped and his end at the club was nearing, first thing he does? Goes to the press feeling sorry for themselves.
    In a sense I'm delighted, we all thought goalkeeper was a position klopp was happy to plod along with being average but thats not the case now, sure karius has barely shown anything but I'd rather give him the rest of the season to see where he's at and make a call in the summer when we assumably buy another keeper. Mignolet has been average at best for years and has thrown away many points, couldn't feel any less sorry for him if I tried.

He was suppose to have good feet he has a worse passing % than Migs in less games,
    Both need replacing but he is far far worse than Migs,

They're both truly awful. But at least we're getting a new number one in the summer by the sounds of it. Surely there has to be questions asked of Achterberg.

• Advertisement

gucci wrote: »
    Goalkeeping isn't a hard position, granted the demands are probably greater now than they used to be regards being able to pass the ball, but I struggle to see why its do incredibly hard to get someone of reasonably high standard with all the scouting and money that clubs throw at it.
    The top goal keepers basically usually stand out by being able to focus on the game as opposed to having the best ticket in the stadium. (other than the sub goal keepers seat)

I'd imagine goalkeeping is one of the hardest positions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Grayditch wrote: »
    They're both truly awful. But at least we're getting a new number one in the summer by the sounds of it. Surely there has to be questions asked of Achterberg.

I would consider giving him the boot let mignolet go if he wants and see how Karius and Ward develope.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I wonder would Atletico take Mignolet, Sturridge & £50m for Oblak? That should cover his buyout clause.

If we do sign Oblak or Alisson hopefully they will do a Cech on it and bring their own goalkeeping coach.

It seems to me this is a case of Migs jumping before he's pushed. It's become clear neither he nor Karius will be #1 next year and at a guess, I'd say he's reacted poorly, resulting in being dropped to the bench for the rest of the season. This in turn has precipitated his moan to the press about considering his future. Personally I'd have him ahead of Karius, but there's not much in it.

Fingers crossed we spend some decent money on a proven replacement this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Migs makes mistakes from time to time but he actually makes save to, Karius is the worst keeper iv seen at Liverpool in 35 years ,
    There is no part of goalkeeping that he is good at, he doesn'tt even open his hands when he dives for shot's , I think one save away to Saints in the cup last year is the only save iv seen him make that an outfield player wouldn't make,
    He is a terrible player,

I genuinely don't know the answer as he hasn't got a proper run of games yet IMO.

Mignolet has played over 200 games for Liverpool and his time is gone. I never want to see him in goal for us again. The fella is an idiot and not good enough for us. He gets dropped and goes to the press. Says it all for how stupid he is. Keep the head down and see how the Karius decision plays out, don't piss off your manager.

Karius is the worst keeper iv seen at Liverpool in 35 years

You said this yesterday and again I disagree with you. You may be proven right over time but Klopp and his team obviously believe he is the best bet for the rest of the season.

Bogdan
    Jones
    Peggy

...are 3 keepers off the top of my head who are league one level at best.

Karius was voted and ranked number 2 behind Neuer in the German league before he came here so at least he has some pedigree.

Maybe voted 2nd in German football is not a good benchmark as they are probably all **** after Neuer but I'd like to give him a chance.

Someone mentioned that the goalkeeping coach could be an issue and there could be logic to that thought process. He is the common denominator going back as far as Reina.

I've become pissed off with The Anfield Wrap recently and the goalkeeping issue is something they've changed their tune on over the last few months.

They were consistently going after John Achterberg for years but because they got an interview with him a few months back, they don't mention him at all.

Anyway, I for one welcome our new German goalkeeping overlord (for now).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

The part of the Migs article that baffles me the most is where he lists the upcoming world cup as a concern

I don't pay much attention to the Belgian national team but surely there's no way in hell he has a shot at starting over Courtois :confused:

x43r0 wrote: »
    The part of the Migs article that baffles me the most is where he lists the upcoming world cup as a concern

I don't pay much attention to the Belgian national team but surely there's no way in hell he has a shot at starting over Courtois :confused:

He's competing with Olympiakos' and Wolfburg's goalkeepers for a spot too. If he doesn't play and they do he might have a point.

Someone on Twitter made the argument that Karius was almost considered Neuer lite due to the amount of sweeping up he did but since he's joined Liverpool he's so confused as to what to do.

I'm leaning towards the Achterberg problem as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I saw some say yesterday that it looked like Can signed a new contract because of a post by Sturridge on Instagram saying Kerrrchinnggg!!

Anyone think it could have meant that Can was now in the money with his free agent signing on fee for Juve. Kerrrchinnggg!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,293 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The coaching is definitely a problem but Mignolet is just not good enough. I don't think he's a bad keeper anywhere outside the top 6 he's fine but not the level we need.
    The arsenal game was the straw that broke the camel's back, he can't feel hard done by. Klopp has been slaughtered by the media from day one about him and Klopp has stuck with him.

It's about time Klopp was more ruthless, if he doesn't put Moreno back in too I'll be optimistic he finally wants to fix the defence.

He is a terrible player,

I genuinely don't know the answer as he hasn't got a proper run of games yet IMO.

Mignolet has played over 200 games for Liverpool and his time is gone. I never want to see him in goal for us again. The fella is an idiot and not good enough for us. He gets dropped and goes to the press. Says it all for how stupid he is. Keep the head down and see how the Karius decision plays out, don't piss off your manager.

Karius is the worst keeper iv seen at Liverpool in 35 years

You said this yesterday and again I disagree with you. You may be proven right over time but Klopp and his team obviously believe he is the best bet for the rest of the season.

Bogdan
    Jones
    Peggy

...are 3 keepers off the top of my head who are league one level at best.

Karius was voted and ranked number 2 behind Neuer in the German league before he came here so at least he has some pedigree.

Maybe voted 2nd in German football is not a good benchmark as they are probably all **** after Neuer but I'd like to give him a chance.

Someone mentioned that the goalkeeping coach could be an issue and there could be logic to that thought process. He is the common denominator going back as far as Reina.

I've become pissed off with The Anfield Wrap recently and the goalkeeping issue is something they've changed their tune on over the last few months.

They were consistently going after John Achterberg for years but because they got an interview with him a few months back, they don't mention him at all.

Anyway, I for one welcome our new German goalkeeping overlord (for now).
    I'm not even joking when I say I'd take the 3 you mentioned above Karius ,
    In two season iv seen him make one save that an outfield layer wouldn't make, There is not one thing that he does well, he isn't even average he is down right rotten , he tries to save shots with closed fist's,rarely even dives and when he does 9 times out of 10 he tries to use his feet,

I saw some say yesterday that it looked like Can signed a new contract because of a post by Sturridge on Instagram saying Kerrrchinnggg!!

Anyone think it could have meant that Can was now in the money with his free agent signing on fee for Juve.

It was "kerching" followed by a second post saying "fine"

Can was breaking club rules by taking a dressing room selfie and having an open coffee in the area. Both are punishable by a small token fine.

The lads were likely just taking the piss out of him over it.

That's how it looks judging by the other comments on the post anyway.

At the end of last season there was a vote for the 10 best save of 2016/2017 season 9 of them where Migs, the one Karius one was the shot sved against the Saints,in my opinion he's only decent save to date,
    Can anyone remember one save Karius made this season ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I wonder would Atletico take Mignolet, Sturridge & £50m for Oblak? That should cover his buyout clause.

tenor.gif?itemid=7178438

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,887 ✭✭✭✭klose

I'm not even joking when I say I'd take the 3 you mentioned above Karius ,
    In two season iv seen him make one save that an outfield layer wouldn't make, There is not one thing that he does well, he isn't even average he is down right rotten , he tries to save shots with closed fist's,rarely even dives and when he does 9 times out of 10 he tries to use his feet,

Does anyone have a gif or clip of the shot Jones treats like a penalty and takes a guess and dives the wrong way vs United a few years back? Hilarious so it was. Anyways,fairlt depressing conversation to be having. The main thing to take away is there is almost certainly a keeper on the way sooner rather than later and mignolets reign of 5/10 is almost over.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

klose wrote: »
    Does anyone have a gif or clip of the shot Jones treats like a penalty and takes a guess and dives the wrong way vs United a few years back? Hilarious so it was. Anyways,fairlt depressing conversation to be having. The main thing to take away is there is almost certainly a keeper on the way sooner rather than later and mignolets reign of 5/10 is almost over.

ExaltedWastefulArmyant.gif

Mignolet will have no shortage of clubs after him IMO. He saves penalties, is composed with the ball and good with his feet, and has plenty of clean sheets and memorable saves to his name.

Yes he tends to forget to put a hand up or kick the ball every once on a while, but he's got enough going for him to convince some chairman he's worth a punt.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

Remember when Karius gave away a corner from his own kick out?? Good times.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    I feel a bit sorry for Simon in a way. One high profile f*ck up v Arsenal apart he's been steady enough this season no? He's probably a better keeper than Karius (which wouldnt be hard) and rightly feels a bit hard done by. We obviously need an upgrade, and have done for years, but as it stands, he's the best we've got at the club. Cant comment on Ward because he's only played about 2 games for us.

Off the top of my head. I'd say atleast one of the Watford goals, the 1st spurs goal, the Chelsea goal and he was dreadful against Leicester but ended up saving a peno that he cost us. He had a couple of other bad mistakes in that game. 59 shots on target 23 goals scored against him. Ddg has faced 94 shots and conceded 16. Having said all that he id still prefer him over karius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Remember when Karius gave away a corner from his own kick out?? Good times.

A first in world football possibly. Record breaking levels of incompetence.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement