Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Grayditch wrote: »
    If there are no questions to be asked of Achterberg, then in that case I feel so sorry for him, sending the keepers out well coached only for them both to consistently make basic errors, time and time and time again. He'll be looking forward to getting in a keeper who can take instructions on positioning, when to come out etc.

https://twitter.com/101greatgoals/status/953286998311276544

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Something I personally think should have been done with Robbie Keane. Every time he got a goal, he'd be dropped, and Keane was the type of player that needed to be playing regularly to flourish.

I do often think what might have been if he was kept for at least 2/3 seasons! F**k, even 1 full season!!

For the record, in case it's unclear, I was being sarcastic. Babel was average. Karius is average. Keane was only there 6 months and may have improved in time once he'd adjusted, but when he did play he was pretty average.

Youth players need experience and a proper introduction to the first team, and there are senior players for whom an extended run in the team can be of benefit. But a senior player with dozens of underwhelming performances under his belt is not going to become Liverpool-standard just because they start a few games in a row. I've seen enough of Karius to know he's not good enough, and he's had runs as our no. 1 both in the league last season and in the CL this season. He's not good enough IMO.

If achterburg is so bad why isn't klopp replacing him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Mignolet have proven to be ****e over a pretty large sample size.

Karius has proven to be ****e over a pretty small sample size.

There is a chance that if one of them is to improve its more likely to be the later

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Augeo wrote: »
    If achterburg is so bad why isn't klopp replacing him?

No one knows.

At the end of the day we're all just people on the internet, they know a lot more than we do and maybe it isn't Achterberg and the keepers that we bought are all duds. Seems odd that everyone of them are failing in a similar fashion though.

It's definitely a cause for concern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Can we just soak this in

Salah has 24 goals and 9 assists in 30 games.

Fun Bobby who isn't rated by loads has 17 goals and 9 assists in 31 games.

Mane despite not being in form has 9 goals and 6 assists in 22 games.

50 goals and 24 assists between them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Keep them 3 players together for 3 seasons and you would think some silverware is guaranteed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,723 ✭✭✭Cartman78

x43r0 wrote: »
    This had potential to be better though. You could have went into a discussion about potential formations with Bobby in front of a trio of Salah on the left, Mane on the right and Malcom in the middle

I know...I snatched at it a bit in hindsight

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I don't understand the goalkeeper coach criticism.... we all seem to admit our style leaves defenders exposed/vulnerable at times but the GK coach is deemed responsible for our keepers being sh1t.
    Harsh IMO

Because in the near 8 -10 years the GK coach has been at the club, all of our keepers have been poor. There's a reason why the #2 gk in the german league at the time is **** now. There's a reason that Mignolet was a decent enough keeper before joining us and is **** now.

There's a reason that the "declining" Reina was sent out the door and done a bit better. He's not fantastic and had some wobbles but overall performed at a higher level than his last couple of season with LFC.

So yeah no harm in telling the GK coach to feck off and bring someone else in. It couldn't get much worse than our current setup which concedes a goal in every 2 shots could it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

I'm curious to know what has Mignolet done to merit the level of support he's now being shown? His stats have been average at best and he's no better now than when he first joined the club.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I don't know enough about coaching goalkeepers to comment on Achterburg.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Talisman wrote: »
    I'm curious to know what has Mignolet done to merit the level of support he's now being shown? His stats have been average at best and he's no better now than when he first joined the club.

People saying that Karius is worse is hardly much of level of support to be honest.

I don't know enough about coaching goalkeepers to comment on Achterburg.

Many in here seem to be an authority on GK coaches.

Benitez, Dalglish, Rodgers and Klopp have all seen fit to keep him on the staff but some lad on Twitter is sure he's the problem.

5starpool wrote: »
    People saying that Karius is worse is hardly much of level of support to be honest.

I'll qualify this by saying I don't think Karius will be good enough but he deserves an extended run in the team before we are sure. Plenty of players have begun life very poorly at Liverpool before going on to find their feet.

I would also say I wouldn't like Mignolet to leave in this window unless a replacement is found.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Mignolet made some amazing saves this season, a lot of people forget that. Plus that save from Vardy's penalty , he done his homework on that one. Made some crazy saves, yes he throws in a howler once in a blue moon, but he's usually on it.

Remarkable revisionism there, Toby. He's simply nowhere near the level required of a Top 6 keeper. His concentration levels are appalling, he doesn't command his box, distribution is poor and, for a supposedly good shot stopper, he doesn't do it even close to often enough.
    Like David James and Brad Friedel, who both went on to burnish their reputations elsewhere, I'll not remember Mignolet with any semblance of fondness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,488 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Worst thing you can go is try and coach a GK , a GK needs to be a free thinking player and to do the unexpected. Training them to be robotic is not good.
    Ge Dea makes saves in a way no keeper is trained to do. Was that training that told Karius to make him self as SMALL as possible at his near post. Legs together and hands tucked in, that is the exact opposite of what a keeper should be going. Be big, stay on feet until player shoots. Why is that so hard to get through to a grown adult?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

The fact is we have had poor keepers for the last decade basically and we have had one GK coach for the guts of that decade. Sometimes one + one makes two.

I wouldn't be surprised if Klopp made a change in coaches in the summer. Maybe the coach isn't the problem but as it stands we concede a goal in every 2 shots. It's ****ing terrible

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Can we just soak this in

I'm guessing you're alluding to non-Liverpool supporters here because anyone who watches us week in week out and doesn't appreciate him, doesn't get football. He's our first name on the team sheet, surely.

Any keeper in Italy would do us, any. They're all boring and none of them does anything crazy. Put them in a side like Liverpool and their worth will be 10 fold after one season.

• Advertisement

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're alluding to non-Liverpool supporters here because anyone who watches us week in week out and doesn't appreciate him, doesn't get football. He's our first name on the team sheet, surely.

I think he can improve, doesn't not mean I don't rate him, I just think he can be even better. He drops off a lot, not one to stand toe to toe with a defender and give him hell, he'll drop away from them and rely on his skill and movement. He can do both, he can be a handful, not just a player who gets a chance and takes it. He should be making his own goals too, good striker can make their own goals.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Mignolet have proven to be ****e over a pretty large sample size.

Karius has proven to be ****e over a pretty small sample size.

There is a chance that if one of them is to improve its more likely to be the later

I know what you are saying but Karius really seems to be the goal keeping equivalent of Aspas. He doesn’t look like a keeper and he seems to have zero qualities to speak of - shaky with ball at feet, weak shot stopper, very nervous with crosses... I know Aspas has great stats again after going back to La Liga and Karius probably will have too but sometimes a player just isn’t suited to a club / League.

I’d be going with the current less bad option for now (which is Migonlet) and get a proper goalie as soon as possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Benitez, Dalglish, Rodgers and Klopp have all seen fit to keep him on the staff but some lad on Twitter is sure he's the problem.

He never coached the first team under Benitez. He was brought in to be the Academy and Reserve coach.

Hodgson brought in his own goal keeping coach and he was sacked with Hodgson.

Actherberg got promoted temporarily in 2010 when Dalglish came in and was given the first team role in 2011 then.

Reports were he was sacked by Dalglish in 2012 after the bad season but that changed and only Comolli and Peter Brukner were let go.

With Rodgers and Klopps style of attacking play they're probably not too fussed about the GK coaching position.

The thing is Actherberg was a goalkeeper with NAC Breda and Tranmere Rovers. He never played at the highest level. When he finished with Tranmere he went straight in to the academy side as coach and with only 18 months of coaching at academy level gets the first team coaching role of a club that wants to be in the CL positions of the premier league.

I know a lot of managers and coaches have not played at the highest level but the likes of Benitez, Mourinho and Wenger spent their early years learning before going to bigger clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

I was so annoyed when Karius let that goal in at the near post because I knew there'd be so many pages of bollix to be read as a result.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Can we just soak this in

Fix the defence and that is honestly good enough to cement a top 4 position for the next few years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

There's some double standards in place for questioning goalkeeping coaches and being allowed to show concern for Klopp's lack of attention to the defensive practices, I guess.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

That is true but if a manger was here for years and a team keep under preforming would u keep the manger ?
    Its can't just be coincidence that every keeper has got worse in his time here,

That is true but if a manger was here for years and a team keep under preforming would u keep the manger ?
    Its can't just be coincidence that every keeper has got worse in his time here,

Reina was a properly good keeper and then a few years with him and he looked all over the shop. So it could be a very valid point. Reina has been the best goalkeeper at the club since Bruce left.

The Echo are reporting Napoli are interested in Mignolet.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

The Echo are reporting Napoli are interested in Mignolet.

How much are we paying them?

DVDM93 wrote: »
    How much are we paying them?

They would pay €20m for him is what is being reported.

I'd take their hands off for that before the withdraw the offer if and when they put it on the table.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

They would pay €20m for him is what is being reported.

I'd take their hands off for that before the withdraw the offer if and when they put it on the table.

If you go as far as taking their hands off we might be so bold as to give them to Mignolet.

Surely him having a pair of hands would bump up his price and get us a few extra million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Beginning to think Agent Coulsen is an actual football agent at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

ExaltedWastefulArmyant.gif

The two players defending out wide against Valencia there are pathetic, worse then the goalkeeping actually.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Beginning to think Agent Coulsen is an actual football agent at this stage.

Just to let you know since you seem to post more about me than Liverpool.

I'm not interested in your flirting.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

rgace wrote: »
    The two players defending out wide against Valencia there are pathetic, worse then the goalkeeping actually.

Looks like Lallana and Allen, pretty bad alright.

Terrible joke.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,121 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

That 3rd goal 'cost me €804 with Pp (Did 5 €2 scorecasts with 4-2 scoreline). Wasnt convinced at 4-2 we wouldnt concede a 3rd and/or 4th so took it well.

That's the thing about us, you just know something is gonna happen in the last couple minutes of every game we play.

Im super impressed with Ox and Robertson and couldn't give a f*co who's in goals as long as it isnt Mignolet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

rgace wrote: »

What's funny is that we had 2 players defending at the left back spot and neither of them were our left back, who's sauntering back into position as Valencia goes past them.

• Advertisement

MD1990 wrote: »
    Terrible joke.

I am not interested in you!

Please talk and post about LFC not me.

That sounds like something an agent would say to spin a deal, reverse psychology, I like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I know longer can tell what is humour and what is seething resentment.

I know longer can tell what is humour and what is seething resentment.

I think that needs translating :pac:

Someone seems angry anyway or certaintly not a comedian anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Clique?

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

Reina was a properly good keeper and then a few years with him and he looked all over the shop. So it could be a very valid point. Reina has been the best goalkeeper at the club since Bruce left.

Funny that you mention Bruce, I was at a function recently where he was asked about the goalkeeping situation. He was skating of Ackterberg. He said that he is 100% not up to the job and cant understand why he is being kept on.
    Also said that he believes Karius is a good keeper with the right coaching , doesn't think Mignolet is good enough though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Lojak wrote: »
    Funny that you mention Bruce, I was at a function recently where he was asked about the goalkeeping situation. He was skating of Ackterberg. He said that he is 100% not up to the job and cant understand why he is being kept on.
    Also said that he believes Karius is a good keeper with the right coaching , doesn't think Mignolet is good enough though.

**** Bruce the match-fixing prick.

I think we need to look at a new GK coach.

Under Achterberg Reina went backwards. Mignolet no improvement arguably better at Sunderland & Karius not showing his Mainz form.

He has been GK coach the last 7 years a new Coach is needed.

**** Brice the match-fixing prick.

Honestly don't care if he fixed games or not but the man was a qualify goal keeper and I'm sure he knows a decent keeper when he sees one.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement