Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

Maybe the coach is a problem but nobody here really knows. If I had to choose between a new keeper in the Summer or a new goalkeeping coach, I would pick a keeper.
    Mignolet has probably improved in the last year which could be down to coaching.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Lojak

**** Bruce the match-fixing prick.

And this affects his judgement of other goalkeepers how?

I dont post here too often and the likes of this is why. Lads cant have a sensible talk about football, seems its more appropriate to post comments like this!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Lojak wrote: »

I dont post here too often and the likes of this is why. Lads cant have a sensible talk about football, seems its more appropriate to post comments like this!

Every forum on here is a smorgasbord of juveniles, smackheads, reprobates, meth users, borstal escapees and ne'er do wells. Only, this thread is worse.

Don't come here for enlightenment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

You said this yesterday and again I disagree with you. You may be proven right over time but Klopp and his team obviously believe he is the best bet for the rest of the season.

Bogdan
    Jones
    Peggy

...are 3 keepers off the top of my head who are league one level at best.

Jones - in fewer games - has put in much better displays that Karius has. Not once has Karius put in a performance that made me even begin to think he might be ok. Bogdan and Peggy are about the same level... not any worse though. Even they didn't look as scared as Karius does. And quite importantly, neither was ever considered for even a second to be first choice.

So I would amend yourdeadwrights comment to - he's the worst first choice keeper ever to play for us. I can't think of anyone that comes close. Even a teenage Scott Carson showed much much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

rgace wrote: »
    Maybe the coach is a problem but nobody here really knows. If I had to choose between a new keeper in the Summer or a new goalkeeping coach, I would pick a keeper.
    Mignolet has probably improved in the last year which could be down to coaching.
    His performance stats show that this is not the case.

Squawka comparison of Simon Mignolet 2016/17 vs 2017/18

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

I like Karius' hands off approach to goalkeeping, it an bold strategy lets see if it pays off.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Lojak wrote: »

Stop crying ffs. I didn’t say anything about you.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Jones - in fewer games - has put in much better displays that Karius has. Not once has Karius put in a performance that made me even begin to think he might be ok. Bogdan and Peggy are about the same level... not any worse though. Even they didn't look as scared as Karius does. And quite importantly, neither was ever considered for even a second to be first choice.

So I would amend yourdeadwrights comment to - he's the worst first choice keeper ever to play for us. I can't think of anyone that comes close. Even a teenage Scott Carson showed much much more.

Fair point tbh. Jones was made first choice at one stage and honestly he was awful. Mignolet has had his chance and I never want to see him again, plus I trust Klopp and his team to make the right decision, which will ultimately be a New keeper in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I think karius is being given a chance so klopp will know if he has to bring in 2 not 1 keeper in the summer

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

mosstin wrote: »
    Every forum on here is a smorgasbord of juveniles, smackheads, reprobates, meth users, borstal escapees and ne'er do wells. Only, this thread is worse.

Hey I'm no juvenile!

https://youtu.be/oiHM77i7Sb0

Seems like a very valid point

See, these are his highlights over two years, and while there are some excellent low saves in there, there's an awful lot of shots straight into his body, that he then spills into dangerous areas right in the centre of the box. In the Bundesliga he was able to re-gather, or someone else cleared, but in the premier league, someone else is already steaming in to finish those off.

Something I personally think should have been done with Robbie Keane. Every time he got a goal, he'd be dropped, and Keane was the type of player that needed to be playing regularly to flourish.

I do often think what might have been if he was kept for at least 2/3 seasons! F**k, even 1 full season!!

I agree that selling him again so soon seemed a bit rash... but this thing of him being dropped all the time simply isn't true.

In his half season with us, he started 16 league games, and 4 of our 6 CL games. He played regularly. And only once did he not start the next game after scoring in the previous one - and that was only after he'd scored in the CL midweek, and was on the bench a few days later against city when we played 1 up top, and won (with a Keane assist off the bench).

Again, I think he probably should have been kept for the season at least, but the circumstances of his usage that often get claimed are just not true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Yeah I'm ticking way too many boxes there...I need to have a long hard look at myself.

Anyway...Mignolet is ****, Karius is **** and Ward must be new levels of **** if he can't get ahead of either of those clowns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

YMjnGLel.png

Based on this, Karius should be the number 1.

What's annoying me about this Karius thing, is that we're pushing for CL football in a very tight race, and Karius starting makes that less likely. Yes, it's good for us to see if he can improve, but at what cost? The margins are so tight this year.

We're sitting pretty in 3rd currently :)
    Fingers crossed karius won't have too many clangers.... Virgil should be a huge help to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Been thinking just now, the last time we could look at our squad on paper and genuinely think, "we're just a player or two away from having a title challenging team", was probably back with Rafa when we had Alonso, Masch, Torres etc.

I know we had the year when we came 2nd, but nobody saw that coming even at Christmas of the very same year.

While I think the Rafa team probably had some bigger stars, it definitely didn't have the same depth that we currently have. We honestly have a great platform right now, and the Club is obviously in a much more stable position.

Add Keita, a goalkeeper, and maybe the likes of Lemar also, and I'm very excited to see what Klopp can do for us next year. Just hopefully now the team can push on for the remainder of the season, secure top 4, and have a good run in the CL.

Knex. wrote: »
    Been thinking just now, the last time we could look at our squad on paper and genuinely think, "we're just a player or two away from having a title challenging team", was probably back with Rafa when we had Alonso, Masch, Torres etc.

I know we had the year when we came 2nd, but nobody saw that coming even at Christmas of the very same year.

While I think the Rafa team probably had some bigger stars, it definitely didn't have the same depth that we currently have. We honestly have a great platform right now, and the Club is obviously in a much more stable position.

Add Keita, a goalkeeper, and maybe the likes of Lemar also, and I'm very excited to see what Klopp can do for us next year. Just hopefully now the team can push on for the remainder of the season, secure top 4, and have a good run in the CL.

First official 'Our Year' post of the 2018/19 season. Congrats.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I would have to guess Mignolet has been told he has no future at the club and Karius has been told show us why you have a future at the club the way things are being reported by the Journo's ITK.

Waiting for @JamesPearceEcho to tell us that Liverpool is not going to buy a goalkeeper in the summer
    You’ll be waiting a long time for that pal

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/953332592073375744

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be honest I'm not far from thinking it myself. We are the only team in the league that looks like we can be better than City. If we can kill games off and not let teams back into the game, I think we can win the league with this side.

Mane Firmino Salah are the best front three in the league and all come across as if they are happy here. Im starting to hear that sweet silver sound.

Lets just keep a top 4 spot, get through at least the next round of the CL, Try to win the FA cup and most important try to work on killing games off. Then next season we could have a real go at it.

We are Liverpool, tra la la la...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

shamrock55 wrote: »
    I think karius is being given a chance so klopp will know  if he has to bring in 2 not 1 keeper in the summer
    I'm hoping this is the case.
    I'm tired of both of them and I hope this season will be enough for Klopp to give up on them

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I wonder if we have a keeper lined up for this window if mig can be offloaded.

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be honest I'm not far from thinking it myself. We are the only team in the league that looks like we can be better than City. If we can kill games off and not let teams back into the game, I think we can win the league with this side.

Mane Firmino Salah are the best front three in the league and all come across as if they are happy here. Im starting to hear that sweet silver sound.

Lets just keep a top 4 spot, get through at least the next round of the CL, Try to win the FA cup and most important try to work on killing games off. Then next season we could have a real go at it.

Man U have the players to genuinely challenge too, especially with just one or two additions.... but won't as long as Mourinho is there I think. If they got in Pochetino, for instance, I reckon they'd be in a very strong position.

Even Chelsea are just a few players away also. Costa instead of Morata this year, and they'd have second wrapped up already I reckon. We're very close to a very very competitive top four teams. And I think we are looking at it being a solid top four again also, like in the Rafa days, with Spurs likely to lose Kane before too long, and Arsenal approaching a cliff with most of their good players about to run out of contract, and the rest being pretty poor.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Man U have the players to genuinely challenge too, especially with just one or two additions.... but won't as long as Mourinho is there I think. If they got in Pochetino, for instance, I reckon they'd be in a very strong position.

Even Chelsea are just a few players away also. Costa instead of Morata this year, and they'd have second wrapped up already I reckon. We're very close to a very very competitive top four teams. And I think we are looking at it being a solid top four again also, like in the Rafa days, with Spurs likely to lose Kane before too long, and Arsenal approaching a cliff with most of their good players about to run out of contract, and the rest being pretty poor.

In fairness, only for City having a freak of a season, utd would be challenging this season. They are on course for 82/83 points which would have them in the mix a lot of seasons. If City (or anyone else) are on 62 points from 23 games next season, there won't be much of a title race either.

Hadn't realised just how highly rated Alisson is. Some rave reviews over on reddit in the thread linking him with Liverpool. Not from Liverpool fans either, as its the actual soccer subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/7qrezk/klopp_will_buy_a_goalkeeper_in_the_summer_with/

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Woodburn to Sunderland on loan looks a done deal. Despite them being crap, hopefully it'll be good for him in terms of game time, especially with Coleman there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'd be ok with Butland. Think he's a fantastic keeper.

Oblak would be insanely good too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Fulham in talks to sign our ex winger Leto

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

5starpool wrote: »
    In fairness, only for City having a freak of a season, utd would be challenging this season. They are on course for 82/83 points which would have them in the mix a lot of seasons. If City (or anyone else) are on 62 points from 23 games next season, there won't be much of a title race either.

True, Utd have won a lot of games this season, usually without being spectacular. DDG has helped them over the line quite a bit - something we haven't had the luxury of, unfortunately.

We will never challenge unless we solve the GK position. Get Alisson or Oblak in and we should be sorted. Just a defensive mid required after that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Vicxas wrote: »
    I'd be ok with Butland. Think he's a fantastic keeper.
    Personally I thin he's hugely over rated. At Stoke he gets plenty of saves to make. At Liverpool he'll be asked to save a few shots, be a match winner the odd time, and generally not make errors.
    When they played Chelsea recently, a cross came into the box from a free kick, floated just inside the 6yard box, and he stayed on his line allowing it to be attacked; 1:0. It wad the type of poor decision that he'd be murdered on here for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Upgrading from Mignolet to Oblak would be the biggest upgrade at the club since Rodgers left his wife for the Liverpool club secretary

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Knex. wrote: »
    Hadn't realised just how highly rated Alisson is. Some rave reviews over on reddit in the thread linking him with Liverpool. Not from Liverpool fans either, as its the actual soccer subreddit.

https://www.reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/7qrezk/klopp_will_buy_a_goalkeeper_in_the_summer_with/

Would be handy too if he was good buds with Firminho... get Bobby to tap him up while with Brazil.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,644 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

5starpool wrote: »
    Woodburn to Sunderland on loan looks a done deal. Despite them being crap, hopefully it'll be good for him in terms of game time, especially with Coleman there.

I said it before, but it's worth saying again :it's Nucking Futs sending a young lad to Sunderland, Fvcking crazy. Very bad culture around that club for years, no place to send a lad that age IMHO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Personally I thin he's hugely over rated. At Stoke he gets plenty of saves to make. At Liverpool he'll be asked to save a few shots, be a match winner the odd time, and generally not make errors.
    When they played Chelsea recently, a cross came into the box from a free kick, floated just inside the 6yard box, and he stayed on his line allowing it to be attacked; 1:0. It wad the type of poor decision that he'd be murdered on here for.
    A Stoke fan I know reckons that he hasn't fully recovered from the injury a couple of years ago. His arguments are that Butland is less mobile/willing to come for the ball and that his clearances of the ball are 10-15M shorter than they used to be. He also thinks that Shawcross is crocked with a back issue which puts even more pressure on the rest of the Stoke defence.

I said it before, but it's worth saying again :it's Nucking Futs sending a young lad to Sunderland, Fvcking crazy. Very bad culture around that club for years, no place to send a lad that age IMHO.

Disaster of a club alright, but on the bright side, at least its a coach who knows and trusts him.

https://twitter.com/PodcastingCouch/status/953385090037424128

I just wish Salah would stop doing the knee-sliding thing - he'll do himself an injury. It looks like the only thing he's not good at on a football pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I just wish Salah would stop doing the knee-sliding thing - he'll do himself an injury. It looks like the only thing he's not good at on a football pitch.

I love that he doesn't even watch it go in, just hits it and runs off to celebrate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

That's how he got injured against Leicester. Foot snagged while celebrating the winner.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

I wish he'd stop frenching the grass too he could dislocate his tongue

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Agreed.

There is no goalkeeper in the premier league that we could conceivably attract that I'd be interested in.

If we're going to upgrade and spend in this area, we need to ensure it really is a significant upgrade

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

Morzadec wrote: »
    Agreed.

There is no goalkeeper in the premier league that we could conceivably attract that I'd be interested in.

If we're going to upgrade and spend in this area, we need to ensure it really is a significant upgrade

kasper schmeichel?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Awesome Firmino stat.

No other player in Europe has been booked more for taking off their shirt for a goal celebration.

10 yellow cards.

Awesome Firmino stat.

No other player in Europe has been booked more for taking off their shirt for a goal celebration.

10 yellow cards.

He's ****ing up our fair play winner chances!

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    He's ****ing up our fair play winner chances!

Probably a trophy we could do without. Prefer some steel in the team, so no chance of us winning it for the next few years with the arrival of the 'naby' faced assassin anyway.

The days of softness are coming to an end....

jbt123 wrote: »
    Probably a trophy we could do without. Prefer some steel in the team, so no chance of us winning it for the next few years with the arrival of the 'naby' faced assassin anyway.

The days of softness are coming to an end....

Don't know how anyone can turn their nose up at a chance of silverware. I assume there is some silverware for it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Don't know how anyone can turn their nose up at a chance of silverware. I assume there is some silverware for it?

You get a place in Europe I think. the other one though, that no-one wants to be in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Thud wrote: »
    Such a good goal, one of my favourites

that jersey and shorts combination was atrocious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,731 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

mada999 wrote: »
    that jersey and shorts combination was atrocious

I really liked it. It was rare enough to see, but worked well I thought. Maybe the stripes on the shorts & socks could have been grey also

article-1099597-02DECDE2000005DC-842_468x371.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

This made me chuckle

DTsenoOXcAEoIQl.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I like Mignolet, but I get the impression he thinks all of this is unfair. Why does he only perk up and start putting a shift in when his position is in threat? Then he gets complacent. And replaced. And repeat.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement