Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,037 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Turtyturd wrote: »
    You’re supposed to go ‘unproven? :eek:’

Then I go well he’s unproven as a defender and that’s what Mourinho’s going to try turn him into.

Sorry for ruining your setup!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Fromvert wrote: »
    Definitely not happy with United signing a player of Sanchez's ability, puts a dent in our chances of over taking them.

Was always going to be a challenge because playing against the bus is no fun for anyone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

ardinn wrote: »
    Its not at all in fairness.

Sanchez is a complete beast and improves utd literally by 100%

Really don't think that's true. I'm not sure it's even possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Really don't think that's true. I'm not sure it's even possible.

Im only going on the video!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Augeo wrote: »
    I reckon Sanchez at 32 won't be too bad barring disaster. He'll sell plenty jerseys too.

Utd with an in form Sanchez for the next season or two will be hard for LFC to finish ahead of.

We play them once away from home in league, they can take their 3pts and shove it up their hole. How it effects us I have no idea, we need to do our own thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

He's a great signing and will win games, but Jose and a lot of United fans might wanna retire the jabs at City about spending for a while.

It's desperation to spend 180m on a player who turns 30 half way through next season, we got Milner for free at that age.

It's desperation to spend 180m on a player who turns 30 half way through next season, we got Milner for free at that age.

I'm not sure that's a great comparison.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Grayditch wrote: »
    I'm not sure that's a great comparison.

But Milner has more assists then the greatest ever midfielder according to some fans.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Literally I couldn't give a **** about who United sign. We are going in the right direction with the right guy. We have a hugely exciting team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I would take Mane Firmino Salah over Sanchez.

Very good signing but he is probably already slightly past his best. Big drop this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

Legit thought I clicked on the United thread for a second.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Gone very quiet on the transfers coming in this window. I have resigned myself to the club not adding any more players to the club this window.

Still a bit disappointing i would of loved to of seen a Lemar or Mahrez join for the latter half of this season to help solidify champions league football for next season. I worry if one of Mane, Salah or Firmino gets injured.

would be pointless us signing a player for 500k a week to sit on the bench.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Apart from klavan (and Manninger) every signing made under Klopp has been 25 or younger I think. He doesn't appear to be interested in investing in players who have a promising future behind them.

Depends on the player. Wouldn't say no to a solid head at the back or midfield that has won trophies and who still has the right attitude that can help steer the younger lads through a tight game.

Anyway, have to admit that I was locked when having a go at Gini on Sunday. Looking for an argument so apologies to anyone offended. I still think if we want to push on, ideally Gini wouldn't be a regular starter next season. I don't think it's unreasonable to say that our midfield still needs a lot of upgrading, and he unfortunately would be one of the players I'd like to upgrade upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

ricero wrote: »
    Gone very quiet on the transfers coming in this window. I have resigned myself to the club not adding any more players to the club this window.

Still a bit disappointing i would of loved to of seen a Lemar or Mahrez join for the latter half of this season to help solidify champions league football for next season. I worry if one of Mane, Salah or Firmino gets injured.

Puel said it would take over 100 million offer for them to consider selling Mahrez.

Would Lemar take the place of the front 3 in the starting 11?

The main problem with selling Couthinho is everyone knows we'll have money to spend and over price. There's talk of us being in for Malcolm now for 45 million.

If we were to sign someone this transfer window it should be a keeper but hard to see that happening in January. A new keeper needs to get to know his defenders so I'd say we won't see a keeper signed until the summer and then a pre-season of training with the defence.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Sanchez will probably be a fine player for them and should definitely improve them with his directness and tenacity. He's a reasonably short term one though, but if they get 2-3 good seasons out of him they won't care.

A point about jerseys was raised though which I always think is a false one. If uts sell 200k jerseys with his name on it (for example), even leaving aside the fact that they only get a certain % from each sale, it won't be 200k extra sales. Most of those people would have been buying a jersey with a name on it anyhow. Not all, but most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,629 ✭✭✭magma69

Some cringeworthy nonsense being posted in here about Sanchez. Would have loved if Liverpool got him. People trying to honestly say Mane is better than him? Come off it. If Liverpool signed him ye'd be singing a much different tune. He'll improve United immensely. That's why they're paying such insane money for him.

5starpool wrote: »
    Most of those people would have been buying a jersey with a name on it anyhow. Not all, but most.

As well as mobile phone holsters for their belt and customised name stickers for their car windscreens.

Will be keeping a close eye on Grujic at Cardiff. Been fairly impressed with him the few times he's played. Definitely has a future at Liverpool. Think he'll do a decent job at Cardiff. Clever of the club to send him somewhere where he'll be getting a lot of game time.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

magma69 wrote: »
    Will be keeping a close eye on Grujic at Cardiff. Been fairly impressed with him the few times he's played. Definitely has a future at Liverpool. Think he'll do a decent job at Cardiff. Clever of the club to send him somewhere where he'll be getting a lot of game time.

I hope he does well and can come to contribute for us, but unfortunately I don't think he'll have much of a future for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Some cringeworthy nonsense being posted in here about Sanchez. Would have loved if Liverpool got him. People trying to honestly say Mane is better than him? Come off it. If Liverpool signed him ye'd be singing a much different tune. He'll improve United immensely. That's why they're paying such insane money for him.

We'll see.
    I've seen him a few times this season and he's been poor enough.
    Downed tools? Maybe.
    His new level? Also maybe.
    Time will tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

How do people think that Sanchez, who wanted out of Arsenal has declined this season but Naby Keitta who wants out of Leipzig and has been accused by some of not playing as well is just unsettled?

Sanchez will be a force at Utd and he's 29. Players don't retire at 30 anymore.

Cracking player and of course I'd love him at Liverpool but we have mane, salah and firmino. Don't think he'll offer anything different to those 3. Mane is a huge player and only 24, only going to get better.

rob316 wrote: »

Cracking player and of course I'd love him at Liverpool but we have mane, salah and firmino. Don't think he'll offer anything different to those 3. Mane is a huge player and only 24, only going to get better.
    Sanchez is clearly a better player than Mane. You'd be hard pressed to find any non-Liverpool fan that disagrees. Now we can talk about age, value for money etc all you like. The bottom line is if you replaced Sanchez with Mane in the Liverpool starting 11, they have a better team. I don't think this is even debateable. If he had signed with Liverpool, you and the other people sharing your opinion would not even entertain the idea that Mane should start ahead of him.

We play them once away from home in league, they can take their 3pts and shove it up their hole. How it effects us I have no idea, we need to do our own thing.

Potentially can effect us in a similar way as Man City doing their thing this year does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

It will be nice to see a team of Galacticos in the premier league and if the are anything like there Spanish counterparts they won't be beating a Pep team to the title in for many a year.

Very happy with the players we are getting and the team we are building will be well able to compete with anyone in Europe in the coming years.

Even in the Champions League this season I don't think any team will want to face us in a two game home or away or a one game knockout.

Augeo wrote: »
    Potentially can effect us in a similar way as Man City doing their thing this year does.

What City done was a freakish one off, in fact I think they will return to normality now that we've beating them. Would be no surprise to see them lose next game, that is what football is like, you win 20 games in a row, lose one, and then lose another.
    I think before end of season they will have lost 4 games this season, with some draws too. That is still a great season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,952 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

murpho999 wrote: »
    How do people think that Sanchez, who wanted out of Arsenal has declined this season but Naby Keitta who wants out of Leipzig and has been accused by some of not playing as well is just unsettled?

But Keita's still playing well? Leipzig as a whole aren't firing nearly as well as they were on their title run last year but he's still playing brilliantly for them.

What City done was a freakish one off, in fact I think they will return to normality now that we've beating them. Would be no surprise to see them lose next game, that is what football is like, you win 20 games in a row, lose one, and then lose another.
    I think before end of season they will have lost 4 games this season, with some draws too. That is still a great season.

Ok ........ my view is that Utd are ahead of us in the table and Sanchez won't weaken them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

What City done was a freakish one off, in fact I think they will return to normality now that we've beating them. Would be no surprise to see them lose next game, that is what football is like, you win 20 games in a row, lose one, and then lose another. I think before end of season they will have lost 4 games this season, with some draws too. That is still a great season.

Newcastle going to the Ethiad winning would be the biggest upset of the season. We have a far, far, far better attack than them & your not recognising the effort it yook out of the team to beat them. Only a visit to Spurs looks difficult on the away front & 2 home games vs Utd & Chelsea. I don't see anyone going there and winning either.

Michael Owen needs a calculator.

https://www.football-italia.net/115757/marotta-juve-emre-can-talks

Can Can be poor at times, but vital part of a strong squad moving forward. Juve still sniffing around

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Did Utd actually sign Sanchez? Can't see anything on it.

Either way strong signing if true

But Keita's still playing well? Leipzig as a whole aren't firing nearly as well as they were on their title run last year but he's still playing brilliantly for them.

His form has not been as good as last season and he has been criticised in Germany for his performances this season.

Daily Mirror Article.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Keita ran himself into the ground opposition against Schalke the other day. Had to be hooked before he was carded twice.

Scored as well!

Keita ran himself into the ground opposition against Schalke the other day. Had to be hooked before he was carded twice.

Scored as well!

That's one game, he was criticised beforehand.

I'm not having a go at him. I think he'll be great for us.

Just pointing how his and Sanchez's performance levels can drop when they know their long term future is not at their current clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is this Sanchez discussion the same type of conversation that people gave out about the United thread having when we signed Van Dijk?

Just curious.

:p

I've watched Keita in about 7 games this season and he has busted a gut in each.

RB's form at the start of the season was poor compared to last seasons start but the are starting to click now.

It's easy for fans to target a player and scapegoat them every fan base does it :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Bulli is a weird league esp this year - BM then about 10 teams within a short bad run/good run of passing each other out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I'd like to see the stats on what Sanchez brings to a team from defensive pov before I pass judgement.

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I'd like to see the stats on what Sanchez brings to a team from defensive pov before I pass judgement.

So would Jose .

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Very happy with the players we are getting and the team we are building will be well able to compete with anyone in Europe in the coming years.

Even in the Champions League this season I don't think any team will want to face us in a two game home or away or a one game knockout.

I wouldn't go over the top Arsenal spent years thinking they were a player or two away. We need a goalie, centre half, centre mid, a new contract for can, a new attacker to replace coutinho, no injuries to key players like firminio, salah, vvd etc and a fast start for Keita to start talking seriously. It's very hard to put all that together.

VVD can't play both centre half positions. Lovren on the Gundogan goal vs city was gas craic. He ran out to block, fell over, came back into position, forgot where he was, then gundogan had enough time to chest it, wait for the ball to fall in our 6 yard box and kick it in. If we get past Porto I'd say we'll be in the list of teams they'll want to play.

Knex. wrote: »
    Is this Sanchez discussion the same type of conversation that people gave out about the United thread having when we signed Van Dijk?

Just curious.

:p

I think its totally fine to discuss a direct rivals transfer business, as it directly relates to us.

What gets tedious is the lens people look at it through. Intelligent, largely objective discussion is great. "Your club is stupid and my club is amazeballs" is not.

Great move by them if they get him.

Raisins wrote: »
    If we get past Porto I'd say we'll be in the list of teams they'll want to play.

Christ, I doubt that... I'd say maybe Juventus might fancy their chances given their style of play, but anyone who's natural game is to come out and try to dominate and bring their game to the opposition (which is most CL teams), is asking for trouble against Liverpool... that's when Liverpool are at their very best.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Raisins wrote: »
    I wouldn't go over the top Arsenal spent years thinking they were a player or two away. We need a goalie, centre half, centre mid, a new contract for can, a new attacker to replace coutinho, no injuries to key players like firminio, salah, vvd etc and a fast start for Keita to start talking seriously. It's very hard to put all that together.

We'll probably sign a keeper in the Summer. We won't be signing another centre-half. Between VVD, Lovren, Matip, Klavan and Gomez we have enough there now. Keita is due to arrive. Would be handy if Can decides to stay alright. We are definitely an attacking player short now. Maybe two. Would like to see someone arrive in January but it's gotten very quiet on that front. So that could be the Summer as well.

Would be a bit worried that we are gambling on Salah, Firmino and Mane all staying fit until the end of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,841 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Didn't want to say he's 29, or that this figure of 180m is pulled out of some desperate/weak journos ass, or that Milner gets paid money from Liverpool? Wait, does Milner actually play for free??? He's sound!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Is Sanchez a good signing? Of course he is.

Would I be happy with him at he prices quoted? Hell no. I'd be hoping for better

Better options out there and I think united are making a mistake with him. I said before united where even linked that he is a player in decline. Comparing an almost 30 year old Sanchez to a young keita is just ridiculous. Youth often brings inconsistency. Sanchez is just unprofessional. Himself and Ozil are free to talk to clubs in Europe and no-one wants them. United would be better off focusing on Moura and griezman and city need a squad player. Sanchez is a really good player but 350k a week??? Not a chance. Not that much better than Mata

A really good signing by utd no one can say different.

We need to strengthen in many different places so even if we have that kind of money to spend I'd want to see it spent on a goalkeeper and a RB and at least two CM's and maybe one more CB before reinforcing the forward line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

F@@k I just heard he is gonna get 505k a week...... hahaha I thought bit was a waste at 350k.

Listen fact bus if City got him and united where not interested, they would be slagging this deal off.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement