Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I don't think anyone who defended the VvD fee is in a position to pass judgment on Sanchez's wages, and anyone who called VvD's value into question can't really comment on Sanchez's deal. The fact is neither club is going to pay what they can't afford, meaning the money paid is largely irrelevant to those of us outside looking in.

Personally I think Sanchez will improve united immensely in the short term, and medium-to-long term too if he doesn't run afoul of Mourinho or vice versa. What's more, City don't really need him, and Arsenal will likely get one or both of Aubameyang and Mkhitaryan this month to replace him and Ozil. All bad news from a Liverpool perspective unfortunately, especially as the trail has apparently run cold on a replacement for Phil.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Sappy404 wrote:
    I don't think anyone who defended the VvD fee is in a position to pass judgment on Sanchez's wages, and anyone who called VvD's value into question can't really comment on Sanchez's deal. The fact is neither club is going to pay what they can't afford, meaning the money paid is largely irrelevant to those of us outside looking in.

If Sanchez signs for 3 years he will cost 78 million...... that's before fees to arsenal and the agent. For a 29 year

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Christ, I doubt that... I'd say maybe Juventus might fancy their chances given their style of play, but anyone who's natural game is to come out and try to dominate and bring their game to the opposition (which is most CL teams), is asking for trouble against Liverpool... that's when Liverpool are at their very best.

City, Juventus, PSG, Barca, Liverpool, Bayern, Utd, Roma are the teams likely to go through.

Fancy their chances? Spurs and City hammered us earlier this season...if you think we're not in the group of teams that everyone would prefer to take on in the quarters then that city game has gone to your head. Roma/City etc are not going to draw Barca or Bayern or PSG and say thank god we didn't get Liverpool. It's our first time in years to be that far in the champions league let's just enjoy it we're underdogs.

20 million sign on fee and it's a 4 and a half year contract. Just keeps getting more insane.

Mercenary. Arsenal are better off without him. He could have gone to city to be in with a chance of a treble but instead is chasing cash

Yeah. He’s a fool for earning as much money as he can.

That’s what you’re saying right ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Mr.H wrote: »
    20 million sign on fee and it's a 4 and a half year contract. Just keeps getting more insane.

Mercenary. Arsenal are better off without him. He could have gone to city to be in with a chance of a treble but instead is chasing cash

If he had signed for us then you wouldn't be saying the same thing.

Really, people should realise that footballers are not fans of the clubs they join, it's all about money, even for Liverpool players.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

Vvd could of went to city too but seemingly choose Liverpool what was his excuse?

Like was said it's fine discussing rivals business but don't do it that makes yourself look bitter.

If Sanchez deal does go through it's a massive gamble by United he is 29 and not having his best season and statistically this season he wouldn't get in the United team ahead of martial this season but its a gamble united can afford to take and not many clubs in the world can do that.

Vvd is only quoted at 75 million but what about his signing on fee and wages and agents fee and seemingly the extra clauses built into that price if he does well? I wouldn't say he would be too shy of 150 million all in at end of his contract???

Is it a good deal? For United he probably wouldn't but for Liverpool and needing a solid defence yes he is a great deal and it was a deal Liverpool felt they had to make to move the club forward but you can bet not many other clubs in the world would of done it.

I'm sure he will work out a great signing for liverpool but my point been that each deal is worth what it's worth to each club specifically and with the money Liverpool are spending to catch up with city no fan is entitled to sit back and sneer at another club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

jayo26 wrote: »
    Vvd could of went to city too but seemingly choose Liverpool what was his excuse?

Like was said it's fine discussing rivals business but don't do it that makes yourself look bitter.

If Sanchez deal does go through it's a massive gamble by United he is 29 and not having his best season and statistically this season he wouldn't get in the United team ahead of martial this season but its a gamble united can afford to take and not many clubs in the world can do that.

Vvd is only quoted at 75 million but what about his signing on fee and wages and agents fee and seemingly the extra clauses built into that price if he does well? I wouldn't say he would be too shy of 150 million all in at end of his contract???

Is it a good deal? For United he probably wouldn't but for Liverpool and needing a solid defence yes he is a great deal and it was a deal Liverpool felt they had to make to move the club forward but you can bet not many other clubs in the world would of done it.

I'm sure he will work out a great signing for liverpool but my point been that each deal is worth what it's worth to each club specifically and with the money Liverpool are spending to catch up with city no fan is entitled to sit back and sneer at another club.

Was it not reported that VVD wouldn't be a starter at City this season? That Pep was happy with Stones and Otamendi as his partnership?

He knew how much Klopp wanted him and he knew that he'd be a starter for us.

Also Klopp brought him to Blackpool so you can't ignore that.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Raisins wrote: »
    City, Juventus, PSG, Barca, Liverpool, Bayern, Utd, Roma are the teams likely to go through.

Fancy their chances? Spurs and City hammered us earlier this season...if you think we're not in the group of teams that everyone would prefer to take on in the quarters then that city game has gone to your head. Roma/City etc are not going to draw Barca or Bayern or PSG and say thank god we didn't get Liverpool. It's our first time in years to be that far in the champions league let's just enjoy it we're underdogs.

I agree with this. If every team would prefer not to draw us on the list, that would make us favourites essentially, which is garbage.

murpho999 wrote:
    If he had signed for us then you wouldn't be saying the same thing.

I said it when he was half linked with us last week.

I said he wouldn't get into out starting xi

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Was it not reported that VVD wouldn't be a starter at City this season? That Pep was happy with Stones and Otamendi as his partnership?

He knew how much Klopp wanted him and he knew that he'd be a starter for us.

Also Klopp brought him to Blackpool so you can't ignore that.

It may of been reported but realistically vvd would be good enough to start ahead of otamendi and John stones too probably.

Even Sanchez on current form this season would he make the city attack guaranteed? Augero is doing well sane is doing well and sterling is doing well they have so much quality in the team he may not Improve it that much so that can also be a factor??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

It was wrong last week too. An in-form Alexis - something we have seen only in patches for Arsenal - starts for us no problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Of course he wouldn't. Just like Suarez of 2013-14 wouldn't have gotten into Utd's team!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

So...Liverpool...they're a good team right? Who play football. and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Is Mkhitaryan joining Arsenal?

If he does you'd have to imagine that helps our case for Lemar in the summer. Not sure Arsenal will be in for him if so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Alexis is a super super player but this is a PANIC buy from Jose,
    He knows he's in trouble the crowd there hate the way they play so he has seen a chance to get Alexis and they are throwing crazy money at him, Its interesting cause, It'll be interesting to see how he gets on with Jose,
    United's problem is Pogba he's a fantastic indivual ,He's a fantastic footballer but he doesn't really suit any position, He is very like Stevie G but with out the goals,  Rafa could play Stevie behind a striker as he had goals in him that Pogba doesn't
    In a two he allows people to always run in behind him,(Ireland twice the other night) ,  They can't play him as a 10 he take to many touches and doesn't score enough ,  , so he always plays in a 2 man midfield ,
    With his inability to defend it mean's the wingers at united are made track back and almost are like two wingers in an old school 442 , 
     With Alexis he won't do this, he always works hard but he is not disciplined , People see him always chasing defenders but if you look closely its all over the pitch ands never "does a job " just floats about putting the closest defender to him under pressure,
    It'll be very interesting to see what Jose does with him, again he is an amazing attacking talent in the right set up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

That win against City still has me very confident. Play like that against Porto and we'll should definitely be into the next round.

He knows he's in trouble the crowd there hate the way they play so he has seen a chance to get Alexis and they are throwing crazy money at him, Its interesting cause, It'll be interesting to see how he gets on with Jose,
    United's problem is Pogba he's a fantastic indivual ,He's a fantastic footballer but he doesn't really suit any position, He is very like Stevie G but with out the goals,  Rafa could play Stevie behind a striker as he had goals in him that Pogba doesn't
    In a two he allows people to always run in behind him,(Ireland twice the other night) ,  They can't play him as a 10 he take to many touches and doesn't score enough ,  , so he always plays in a 2 man midfield ,
    With his inability to defend it mean's the wingers at united are made track back and almost are like two wingers in an old school 442 , 
     With Alexis he won't do this, he always works hard but he is not disciplined , People see him always chasing defenders but if you look closely its all over the pitch ands never "does a job " just floats about putting the closest defender to him under pressure,
    It'll be very interesting to see what Jose does with him, again he is an amazing attacking talent in the right set up

How wrong can you be on so many levels?

Crowd don't hate the way Jose plays the majority of old Trafford crowd are happy with the teams progress sure you will get a few lads on forums and in old Trafford that ain't happy but you get that at every club. I'm sure a few pool fans wish klopp could set up a team to contain a bit better at times too but that's life majority are happy.

Why would Jose make a panic buy? He has his team second place in league and threw in champions league.... He has his team the best defence record in premier league this season.. He has his team third most goals scored in league this season what is there to panic about?????

Pogba was never a goal scoring midfielder he only once scored over ten goals in a season but he is an assist machine that plays best slightly deeper then a number 10 which he has actually been doing the past couple of weeks again he is the player that makes United tick at the.moment and majority of time apart from 3 draws over Christmas he has been doing a pretty great job of it but then again no team constantly wins every game by 3 goals.

All joses teams were set up with wide players tracking back it was same with Chelsea he wanted hazard to do it too remember so it's not just because pogba is not the best defensively why he is doing this.

I do agree that pogba would benefit from another midfielder beside him instead of Herrera but hey rome wasn't built in a day we hopefully will get that in the summer but for a team with some many weaknesses that you reckon they have then they ain't doing a bad job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

This is now definitely too much United talk.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

We signed him for 36m. On his way to be even better than Suarez

Grayditch wrote: »
    This is now definitely too much United talk.

Your dead right But if some posters are going to talk nonsense then at least it should be accepted for them to be challenged or else it just becomes ohh let's sneer at the opposition and make stupid claims and everyone thank my post.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Shut the **** up lads about United.

On another note I'm going over for the West Brom game, I usually stay in the centre but could only get 12th Man Accomodation. It's alrite is it?

How wrong can you be on so many levels?

Crowd don't hate the way Jose plays the majority of old Trafford crowd are happy with the teams progress sure you will get a few lads on forums and in old Trafford that ain't happy but you get that at every club. I'm sure a few pool fans wish klopp could set up a team to contain a bit better at times too but that's life majority are happy.

Why would Jose make a panic buy? He has his team second place in league and threw in champions league.... He has his team the best defence record in premier league this season.. He has his team third most goals scored in league this season what is there to panic about?????

Pogba was never a goal scoring midfielder he only once scored over ten goals in a season but he is an assist machine that plays best slightly deeper then a number 10 which he has actually been doing the past couple of weeks again he is the player that makes United tick at the.moment and majority of time apart from 3 draws over Christmas he has been doing a pretty great job of it but then again no team constantly wins every game by 3 goals.

All joses teams were set up with wide players tracking back it was same with Chelsea he wanted hazard to do it too remember so it's not just because pogba is not the best defensively why he is doing this.

I do agree that pogba would benefit from another midfielder beside him instead of Herrera but hey rome wasn't built in a day we hopefully will get that in the summer but for a team with some many weaknesses that you reckon they have then they ain't doing a bad job.
    assist machine makes me laugh have you see his assists this season, someone had a video up here have a look., most are thunderbastard after he's happened to pass to someone 30 yards out,
    Ye your right he done it at Chelsea as he had a certain Frank Lampard who wasn't great at tracking back  ,
    I never said they had loads of weaknesses ? I just said Pogba's lack of understanding is one 
    When they drew with Stoke earlier this season one of the stoke players said after there plan was to  try to exploit runs of Pogba,
    Pogba made his name at Juve playing as the 3rd midfielder relived of any defensive duties ,Again he is a great footballer when he is on the ball ,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Good news on Woodburn - he is not joining Sunderland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Grayditch wrote: »
    That win against City still has me very confident. Play like that against Porto and we'll should definitely be into the next round.

Play like that against anyone in Europe and they could beat any team left in the competition.

• Advertisement

assist machine makes me laugh have you see his assists this season, someone had a video up here have a look., most are thunderbastard after he's happened to pass to someone 30 yards out,
    Ye your right he done it at Chelsea as he had a certain Frank Lampard who wasn't great at tracking back  ,
    I never said they had loads of weaknesses ? I just said Pogba's lack of understanding is one 
    When they drew with Stoke earlier this season one of the stoke players said after there plan was to  try to exploit runs of Pogba,
    Pogba made his name at Juve playing as the 3rd midfielder relived of any defensive duties ,Again he is a great footballer when he is on the ball ,

You dont happen to land the ball 30 yards away as regular as he does he is one of the best long range passers out there he has nine assists in the league from 13 games and he is nearly up there with the highest in the league on chances created it's not by accident it's what he does.

And yes I agree he did make a name for.himself as third midfielder that's what United are trying to replicate with him as of late he said it himself in his last interview.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

You dont happen to land the ball 30 yards away as regular as he does he is one of the best long range passers out there he has nine assists in the league from 13 games and he is nearly up there with the highest in the league on chances created it's not by accident it's what he does.

And yes I agree he did make a name for.himself as third midfielder that's what United are trying to replicate with him as of late he said it himself in his last interview.
    Iv said a few time he is a great player but like everyone he has faults and his is letting people in behind him ,so I just wonder how United will line up with Himself, Alexis and Lakaku in the one team ,It'll be interesting to see how Jose uses the 3 together,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,389 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I think he was saying that some of Pogbas assists have been to some unreal strikes from outside the box. Pogba laid off a short/simple pass and the goal scorer pulled one out of the bag from range.

Lingard and Martial in recent weeks come to mind.

• Advertisement

FFS lads this is a Liverpool thread... if you're wondering about other teams lineups, wage structure, who they're buying, what they're having for breakfast.. go discuss it in their threads or in the transfer thread. We've had about ten pages of Sanchez/United talk. Enough!! for f*ck sake.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    I think he was saying that some of Pogbas assists have been to some unreal strikes from outside the box. Pogba laid off a short/simple pass and the goal scorer pulled one out of the bag from range.

Lingard and Martial in recent weeks come to mind.

Fair sexy goals to be fair :):)

Anyway I'll leave ye too it see ya in our thread soon dude always welcome :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Klopp has decided to keep Ben Woodburn for the rest of season.

https://twitter.com/Kristian_Walsh/status/953952680032067586

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Does that imply no new signings?

I suppose we have Lallana back now and Ox can play the wide positions if needed, but both of them seemingly play better from the centre. Will make it harder to rest Mane and Salah in the 2nd half of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Knex. wrote: »
    Does that imply no new signings?

I suppose we have Lallana back now and Ox can play the wide positions if needed, but both of them seemingly play better from the centre. Will make it harder to rest Mane and Salah in the 2nd half of the season.
    Yes. If Klopp can't get the player he wants he's not going to let others leave.

He may make an exception for Sturridge, it seems the club want a permanent transfer and not a loan for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,144 ✭✭✭Augme

Good signing for United. Another highlight is seeing United fans thinking they swooped in and stole him away from City. :pac:

Augme wrote: »
    Good signing for United. Another highlight is seeing United fans thinking they swooped in and stole him away from City. :pac:

Oh hey....

Well what other way would you call it? If he is signng for city they believe the deal is done but United go in and offer more money and city pull out? Come on....

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

If Sanchez signs for 3 years he will cost 78 million...... that's before fees to arsenal and the agent. For a 29 year

He's a level above Coutiniho. I'd love if Liverpool threw that much cash at him to come.

People were talking about"it shows intent" when VVD was signed, and it does. Over the course of 3 years, VVD will probably be more expensive all things considered,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

He's a level above Coutiniho.

He's not a level above Coutinho. The only players a level above Coutinho are the elite players. Of which Sanchez is not one, as good as he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Yeah but Mignolet was in goal for those games!! :p

• Advertisement

dogbert27 wrote: »

Yeah but Mignolet was in goal for those games!! :p
    I hope we just avoid the English teams, I can see the big European sides being arrogant and attacking us which we have shown is suicide , OK City beat us with 10 men ,

I hope we just avoid the English teams, I can see the big European sides being arrogant and attacking us which we have shown is suicide , OK City beat us with 10 men ,

With all the discussion over the last 24 hours we'll probably get United in the quarters and get knocked out by a last minute Sanchez goal!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

The only team I'd slightly fear if we were to get through would be City. I'd love to see us against get Madrid or Bayern.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

dogbert27 wrote: »
    With all the discussion over the last 24 hours we'll probably get United in the quarters and get knocked out by a last minute Sanchez goal!
    We'll lose 1-0 on aggregate to Porto with Salah/Firmino scoring an OG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Roberto Firmino and Mason Holgate - FA probe set to enter a third week

No decision expected over Merseyside Derby bust-up until next week
    An FA probe into allegations of racism during this month’s derby looks set to drag on into a third week, the ECHO understands.

The governing body are investigating claims Liverpool’s Roberto Firmino racially abused Everton defender Mason Holgate during the FA Cup third round tie at Anfield on January 5.

Firmino reacted angrily after Holgate pushed the Reds forward over the advertising hoardings and the pair had to be pulled apart by referee Bobby Madley and team-mates.

Holgate then exploded with rage after Firmino said something to him.

The following day the FA confirmed that Madley was made aware of an allegation and included the incident in his match report.

But almost two weeks on the investigation has yet to be concluded.

An FA statement earlier in the month said: “The FA can confirm that referee Bobby Madley was made aware of an allegation during the Liverpool versus Everton game at Anfield last night and has subsequently reported this to The FA, which will now begin making enquiries into the matter.”

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-firmino-mason-holgate-fa-14172249.amp?__twitter_impression=true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Roberto Firmino and Mason Holgate - FA probe set to enter a third week

No decision expected over Merseyside Derby bust-up until next week

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/roberto-firmino-mason-holgate-fa-14172249.amp?__twitter_impression=true

You'd wonder how these things take so long. There's literally only about 3 or 4 people they need to talk to.

Talisman wrote: »
    We'll lose 1-0 on aggregate to Porto with Salah/Firmino scoring an OG.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS7DOIdhwIEuTfplbKpJ85JQQ7a1S3gz3AFqZVNTwi-P9a3Jxgc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Everybody in here talking about Sanchez and Utd when really we should be discussing the fact that we have made no new signing, no replacement for Coutinho. It just seems crazy to let one of the best playmakers in Europe leave halfway through the season with lots to play for and yet seems like nobody is lined up to replace him, It's borderline negligent tbh. I know people will say Klopp won't buy if the right player is not available etc etc well if the right players aren't available then don't sell our best players ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,482 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

If we didn't have a new signing in Ox , Lallana back fit and Woodburn coming through I'd be very worried we have no replaced Coutinho. I think we'll be fine until summer if we get no one in Jan

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,708 ✭✭✭54and56

If we didn't have a new signing in Ox , Lallana back fit and Woodburn coming through I'd be very worried we have no replaced Coutinho. I think we'll be fine until summer if we get no one in Jan

I actually think Klopp brought Ox in partly to enable a departure of Coutinho because he actually wants a different type of player with higher energy in MF than Coutinho offered so I a don't think we're going to see a direct replacement and if that's Klopps plan I'm 100% ok with it. Use the money to get a top GK, another CB (assuming Klopp wants to upgrade on one of Matip/Lovren or wait for Gomez to step into a CB role) and maybe another pacy forward to rotate with the fab 3.

This is a great chance for Woodburn to step up, we should actually be happy Klopp is prepared to give him that chance rather than bring someone in who could block his progress.

In Klopp I trust!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement