Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

5starpool wrote: »
    That article says that Flanagan won't be sacked and has another 18 months on his contract. You'd wonder why on both counts.

While I don't agree with everything he says, Joey Barton was right saying that Liverpool cannot sack him because of the precedent set in the Suarez, Gerrard and more recently Firmino incidents.

They didnt sack those 3 and Gerrard being the more similar one to Flanagans case. If it was the first big incident of Klopp's time he could throw Flanagan out but given Firmino was quite recent and in some eyes a lot worse, you can't have double standards either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

GBX wrote: »
    While I don't agree with everything he says, Joey Barton was right saying that Liverpool cannot sack him because of the precedent set in the Suarez, Gerrard and more recently Firmino incidents.

I can see an argument for the Suarez comparison but the other two have not been convicted of anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

rgace wrote: »
    I can see an argument for the Suarez comparison but the other two have not been convicted of anything.

Barton made reference to Firmino's drink driving charge.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Gerard was found not guilty wasn't he? How could there even remotely be grounds for that? Also, what Suarez did wasn't in the same ball park as beating a woman. If he did that there would have been almost no one defending him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

GBX wrote: »
    If it was the first big incident of Klopp's time he could throw Flanagan out but given Firmino was quite recent and in some eyes a lot worse, you can't have double standards either.

The Firmino what was quite recent?

Are you equating an alleged racist remark made by Firmino (for which no evidence has been produced) with the CCTV of Flanagan kicking his girlfriend on the ground for which he has been convicted in an actual court of law?

Edit: Possibly my bad. You were referring to Firmino's drink driving?

The club (like anyone contracting the services of someone through that persons Ltd Co) can stipulate certain types of behaviour or degrees of law breaking which give them the right to terminate the contract.

Drop some litter and get a fine - you're an idiot but no big deal.

Drink driving - you're an even bigger idiot, you get a reprimand, possibly a fine and a warning as it's your first offence but if you repeat the offence the consequences will by much more severe and could include termination of your contract.

Assault - Depends on the severity (ABH - GBH etc) and the circumstances so could be a fine but could be automatic termination. A bit of a boxing match amongst pi$$ed up blokes in their 20's who were in a nighclub and a row started which ended up with a few bloody noses = fine and a warning not to be a tit in future. Kicking your girlfriend on the ground at 3am after a boozy night out = automatic termination.

All depends on what's in the respective contracts. You'd think that the terms included in a young up and coming home grown players contract (as Flanno was when he signed it) would be more onerous that what a seasoned pro would permit in his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Everything but Liverpool on the pitch is being talked about on here over the last few days that can only be a good sign we are in a good place on the pitch where it actually matters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭GBX

I am making the point of players letting down the "club they represent" - Gerrard was captain at the time. and yes eventually found not guilty.

Firmino drink driving - not the Holgate issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Oh, are we comparing different crimes again?

zGHQb4O.gif

Melissa is reporting Inter have made a very serious offer for Sturridge to take him on loan paying a substantial fee and paying all his wages and an are open to a permanent deal in the summer.

Sevilla are also considering coming back in with a better offer which is where he wants to go.

• Advertisement

Pity Sturridge is cup tied in the CL. Would be nice to see him go to Sevilla and knock out whoever they're playing in the next round! :pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

just see on Bayerns fb page they've agreed to sign Goretzka

Everything but Liverpool on the pitch is being talked about on here over the last few days that can only be a good sign we are in a good place on the pitch where it actually matters.

Wait till we lose to Swansea on Monday!

5starpool wrote: »
    Wait till we lose to Swansea on Monday!

Havent had a Meltdown Monday for a while alright.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    Havent had a Meltdown Monday for a while alright.

Be nice to have a discussion about the Coutinho transfer, FSG being small time, money pinchers, Klopp being too stubborn, Owayn being too OTT, etc.

I'll see if I can get some memes prepared even. Make a day out of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭Urindanger

Zak Flaps wrote: »
    Can't understand why we don't seem to be trying to sign Jean-Michael Seri. Looks like he's available for £35 million. Apparently City, Utd and PSG after him. Barcelona failed with a bid last year. Why try to keep Can when Seri is so much better?

Doubt he'll move to anyone in England. Hates the cold and suffers from chilblains pretty bad apparently. Think he'd fit in better at Liverpool over the others as well.

• Advertisement

Urindanger wrote: »
    Doubt he'll move to anyone in England. Hates the cold and suffers from chilblains pretty bad apparently. Think he'd fit in better at Liverpool over the others as well.

It's amazing what high wages can convince you to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Gone very quiet on the transfers in front. Again I'm worried that we are taking a real gamble on not replacing Coutinho and hoping that the front three all stay fit. Even the ability to rotate them has now gone more or less unless you include Solanke who looks like he needs a bit more time yet to be effective or push Ox up front.

I think the win over Man City probably quietened down concerns this week but can't help but feel we are a player short up front. Probably even two players really given Sturridge is on the outs but at least one in would be something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

Grujic on loan to Cardiff, with penalties if he doesn't start 14 of their remaining 19 league matches. Good move and I hope he develops there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42744447

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Definitely a risk hoping the 3 lads stay fit and fresh. I reckon we will still buy another winger/forward this window once Sturridge is gone and the wages are freed up. Ings hasn't played in 2 years and with Sturridge going we are short, shouldn't be forgotten that Sturridge played his part in securing CL towards the end of last season.

Gone very quiet on the transfers in front. Again I'm worried that we are taking a real gamble on not replacing Coutinho and hoping that the front three all stay fit. Even the ability to rotate them has now gone more or less unless you include Solanke who looks like he needs a bit more time yet to be effective or push Ox up front.

I think the win over Man City probably quietened down concerns this week but can't help but feel we are a player short up front. Probably even two players really given Sturridge is on the outs but at least one in would be something.

We definitely are a little light behind our first choice. Even Lallana when playing well generally isn't as effective playing in a front 3. I'd like us to sign someone, but it does have to make sense. Chamberlain can cover a variety of positions, which is good too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

rob316 wrote: »
    Definitely a risk hoping the 3 lads stay fit and fresh. I reckon we will still buy another winger/forward this window once Sturridge is gone and the wages are freed up. Ings hasn't played in 2 years and with Sturridge going we are short, shouldn't be forgotten that Sturridge played his part in securing CL towards the end of last season.

Unless he's bluffing Klopp seemed to be saying today that they aren't looking at anyone this January. Seems to be pinning his hopes on Lallana being fit again but Lallana going by recent performances looks a fair bit away from his best just yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

We had too many players for up front in September. i think we had 11 who can play in a front three. Hell we now have 10!!

Salah Mane and Firmino are of course first choice.

Ings (or Studge. One will leave but I doubt both will this window) along with Ox and Solanke are a decent back up.

Lallana and Gini can play that "coutinho wide role". Woodburn is still here. If we where rerally stuck Morkovic is still here. Then what about other youth options??

We are not short up front by any means. Its probably our strongest area in depth

• Registered Users Posts: 3,672 ✭✭✭ElTel

brevity wrote: »
    Does anyone think that woodburn will make a significant appearance before the end of the season?

Alas, it's unlikely imo.

Ox can cover a rest for Salah/Mane in attack. Lallana is going to be pushing for starts once his fitness and form improve too hopefully.

For Woodburn to make the bench I think Klopp has to start considering Milner as a defensive sub option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Grujic on loan. Coutinho sold. . Kent on loan. Markovic possibly on loan. Sturridge possibly on loan.

Man City result was great & calmed fans down over transfers.

But we really need a signing in before February.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

Mr.H wrote: »
    We had too many players for up front in September. i think we had 11 who can play in a front three. Hell we now have 10!!

Ings (or Studge. One will leave but I doubt both will this window) along with Ox and Solanke are a decent back up.

Lallana and Gini can play that "coutinho wide role". Woodburn is still here. If we where rerally stuck Morkovic is still here. Then what about other youth options??

We are not short up front by any means. Its probably our strongest area in depth

How **** must Markovic's agent be if he's still at the club, and actually wants to leave instead of pick up his wages every month.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

MD1990 wrote: »
    Grujic on loan. Coutinho sold. . Kent on loan. Markovic possibly on loan. Sturridge possibly on loan.

Yup I agree.

And I don't believe that we need to sell Sturridge to free up wages for a new player. We are just after getting over a 100 million in cash up front from the Countinho sale.

MD1990 wrote: »

I really dont see why people think we need a new signing.

We are currently a stronger team now than on December 31st

We broke (absolutely smashed) our transfer record record on the weakest area of the team while selling a (yes brilliant) player in a position where we have plenty of options.

Lets say we signed Lemar (or any wide player that we have been linked with). Where does he play?? Does he replace Mane? Salah? Firmino?

Dont give me this sh1t about its not just about the first xi. The problem is it is!! no top player are going to come to this club without assurances that they will play and start most games. Im pretty sure Salah (or at least his agent) insisted on such. We cant take out one of our front three so the only thing we can do is sign a player that will be backup. But in reality we have good enough back up players for up front. We do not need another attacker unless we sell Ings Sturridge and Woodburn leaves on loan.

The only positions we probably need are in goals full back and a deep lying mid

How **** must Markovic's agent be if he's still at the club, and actually wants to leave instead of pick up his wages every month.

Its crazy. The guys career is falling away. Youd think his agent would even get him a cushy number in China ffs

I really dont see why people think we need a new signing.

We are currently a stronger team now than on December 31st

We broke (absolutely smashed) our transfer record record on the weakest area of the team while selling a (yes brilliant) player in a position where we have plenty of options.

Lets say we signed Lemar (or any wide player that we have been linked with). Where does he play?? Does he replace Mane? Salah? Firmino?

Dont give me this sh1t about its not just about the first xi. The problem is it is!! no top player are going to come to this club without assurances that they will play and start most games. Im pretty sure Salah (or at least his agent) insisted on such. We cant take out one of our front three so the only thing we can do is sign a player that will be backup. But in reality we have good enough back up players for up front. We do not need another attacker unless we sell Ings Sturridge and Woodburn leaves on loan.

The only positions we probably need are in goals full back and a deep lying mid
    Lemar isn't a forward. He can play on the left but not in a front 3.

Any of Mane,Firmino & Salah get injured we are short.

Ox is better in midfield. Solanke out of form & Ings barely played. Can't rely on Woodburn yet. Pretty clear we need another forward/striker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Markovic isn't very good and might be realising it, he's on the best contract he'll ever have and will take a huge decrease if he goes somewhere else. I'd run down my contract too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I don't regard Sturridge as very relevant to the squad fit or not to be honest so he might as well go, the issue is what happens if Firmino is out for more than the odd game so it just makes sense to get in a busy flexible attacker.

Promes linked to Southampton for 30m. Doing very well in Russia.

Who of those are of the required quality? Our greatest asset is our ability to put the ball in the net. You can never have enough of them and once you look past our front three there's not a lot of goals there

Ings, Sturridge, Solanke, Lallana - Not much in the way of goals here

And our midfield isn't awash with goals either!

Can/Ox/Wiji/Henderson/Milner - Only a handful coming from midfield a year

The best part of having the four attackers was we didn't have to play all four! Being able to rest one and even two of them was what'll keep them fit, makes you able to survive if one or two pick up niggles/injuries/fall out of form without affecting the quality on the pitch too much.

I want and think we need another attacker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-philippe-coutinho-january-transfer-window-a8167976.html

“Yes Karius could have saved the first goal against City but he’s a really good goalkeeper. He has settled, a lot of things about his game are natural. Loris needs to deliver and he knows that. He’s the No 1 now.”

It's strange to give Karius a care free approach, to let him know he has no competition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think if Studge goes on loan we need a striker who can also play as a wide forward , Now is there any of those about is another question ,
    Some one who can fill in for Bobby ,Mane or Salah , Is there any young pacey players we could get in Jan ?

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/premier-league/jurgen-klopp-liverpool-philippe-coutinho-january-transfer-window-a8167976.html

“Yes Karius could have saved the first goal against City but he’s a really good goalkeeper. He has settled, a lot of things about his game are natural. Loris needs to deliver and he knows that. He’s the No 1 now.”

It's strange to give Karius a care free approach, to let him know he has no competition.

I take it as Klopp telling him he has until May to prove himself or he's out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I think if Studge goes on loan we need a striker who can also play as a wide forward , Now is there any of those about is another question ,
    Some one who can fill in for Bobby ,Mane or Salah , Is there any young pacey players we could get in Jan ?

I'd have gone with Walcott tbh. I think for that price he would've been a very good squad player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I'd have gone with Walcott tbh. I think for that price he would've been a very good squad player.
    I can get you but I think Jurgen will go for a young star with a big future or if there older someone who come's  straight into the starting 11,   Walcott would be just back up like at Arsenal would make no sense for him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,290 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Alex Teixeria available again too. Quincy Promes another I like. That Malcolm at Bordeaux is meant to be handy too.

I can get you but I think Jurgen will go for a young star with a big future or if there older someone who come's  straight into the starting 11,   Walcott would be just back up like at Arsenal would make no sense for him

Yep I agree with you that he would be back up but for CL weeks, having him come in to cover for Mo or Sadio in a league game would've been a good option. He was on the market, and was cheap considering how the market has gone so he should've been an option.

My concern is that we don't sign anyone and one of the front three get an injury and then we are bollixed.

Solanke may become a good player but he doesn't seem a good fit to me, and at the moment he wouldn't score in a brothel with a load of 50s in his wallet. Ings isn't trusted by Klopp imo (although I did actually like him before he got injured) and Sturridge is moving on.

We are really short of quality and just like last spring, we will be relying on Woodburn to come in and he isn't the great white hope that everyone thought he would be.

Ox is an option but he is proving over the last few weeks that he is better suited to the midfield three.

Alex Teixeria available again too. Quincy Promes another I like. That Malcolm at Bordeaux is meant to be handy too.

I'm nearly sure I read or heard somewhere that he has to leave China and is available for a cut-price fee. i just can't remember where I heard that. i was excited when we were linked to him before but it just depends on if he has regressed in China.

Spurs are about to buy Malcom (one l). Soton in for Promos.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,255 ✭✭✭Yawns

I really don't get the defence of or crying out to keep Sturridge. The guy is class yes. But every time we needed him on the pitch in the last few seasons, he's out injured! If we lose Mane / Salah / Main man to an injury you can just bet Sturridge has just been injured watching it on the tv, that's how reliable he is. He's not reliable enough to make our squad. He's a class finisher but has no place in our squad as he cannot be relied upon ever. There's a reason Solanke is ahead of him and I agree that we shouldn't be relying on Solanke.

Is agent is doing a great job for him by keeping him at Liverpool monetary wise the lad will never get a payday like he has now again.

Next January he is free to chat to teams and leave on a free next summer for a decent signing on fee.

He is still only 23 so on a free to a team next summer is the way to go for him and I would imagine that is what his agent is telling him to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Fromvert wrote: »
    The best part of having the four attackers was we didn't have to play all four! Being able to rest one and even two of them was what'll keep them fit, makes you able to survive if one or two pick up niggles/injuries/fall out of form without affecting the quality on the pitch too much.

I want and think we need another attacker.

Mane, Bobby and Salah can play on the wings or up top, and with lallana, ox and woodburn in behind we got ok backup for behind the front man. Also have ings and solanke as out and out strikers. That's 8 players for our front 4 positions.... actually we do need one or two more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

garra wrote: »
    Grujic on loan to Cardiff, with penalties if he doesn't start 14 of their remaining 19 league matches. Good move and I hope he develops there.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42744447

Not mad about this insistence that a loanee starts. Should have to earn it as like the rest of the team has to.

Mane, Bobby and Salah can play on the wings or up top, and with lallana, ox and woodburn in behind we got ok backup for behind the front man. Also have ings and solanke as out and out strikers. That's 8 players for our front 4 positions.... actually we do need one or two more

Ox - not a goal scorer
    Lallana - has had 2/3 seasons at the top level of double digit goals, last one came a few years ago and is injured a lot
    Woodburn - Unproven
    Ings - has barely kicked a ball in two years
    Solanke - Unproven
    Sturridge - Injured/looks to ahve lost it

That is not an acceptable group of backups for a team that wants to compete at the top end of the league and CL. There's no quality that we can count on there for goals.

Not mad about this insistence that a loanee starts. Should have to earn it as like the rest of the team has to.

The whole point is that the loan club already has a good idea of the player they are bringing in and is therefore willing to agree to the terms. If they didn't think he could offer something then they'd say no thanks. While for Liverpool if a club doesn't guarantee the game minutes for a player who has a decent level of experience under his belt there's just no point in the loan.
    Warnock added: "I'm not signing him to make the numbers up. He's a good lad and a good player. All of our scouts have recommended him to us."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Starting to think the coutinho money was spent on keita and van dijk. If we sign nobody this window then its further evidance i feel.

Backup just not good enough for a team with our aspirations entering the buisness end of the season. An injury to one of salah, mane or firmino and we will struggle for top 4.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement