Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

There was utter fear last night when faced with a sea of bodies and a poor pitch.

No one wanted to really take responsibility.

We won't always be against that many players but if we are, the minimum we should get is a 0-0.

Defence needs to bail us out once in a while.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

rob316 wrote: »
    don't know why he took off Ox last night, he was the only one in midfield trying as Wiji and Can reverted to type of been absolutely useless.

I'm not worried I think they were on the beer at bit too much after that city win by the looks of it.Beat Huddersfield and West Brom and it'll be forgotten about.

We had enough players running through the lines last night, the ball was getting into the box and pinballing around.
    We needed Lallana on to try pick the lock and play more precise passes through.
    Wij and Can were needed to steady the ship at the other end.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

It was a real ****ing sausage fest in here last night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Oh my lots of frustrations let out last night over the fence last night lol. must have really hurt having to wait 20 games for all that to come out.

Love the double standards they live by

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Well, that's the reality of having high expectations.

Bottom line here is that we nearly missed out on the top four last year due to no January investment. It would be utterly foolish to risk that again, particularly when our keystone offensive player is now gone and we have the additional load of at least two high focus Champion's League games. Last night seals the argument on this for me. Sign another starting quality player further up the pitch. If it relegates Lalallana and Ox to bench options that's a really, really positive thing.

We were closing in on United but then sold out best player while they bought Arsenal's best player. I think we can still scrape top 4 with current squad but there's no reason we couldn't finish 2nd with a bit of ambition. Last night is exactly the type of game that Coutiniho would pop up with a key goal or assist in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

Tusky wrote: »
    Last night is exactly the type of game that Coutiniho would pop up with a key goal or assist in.

Couts opened the scoring for us against Swansea last time out and v Bournemouth and Newcastle. He also got the first assist and second goal v Leicester, they are all teams that have frustrated other top sides this season but that first goal means they have to open up and play a bit which counters that bus parking method. We did not have someone doing the same job last night although on another night Salah and Mane would have stuck their chances, god job we did not get a pen for that push on Mane too because whilst we may have got the goal and then perhaps a point, I think he would have faced retrospective punishment for making a meal of it.

I do think that Lallana could do a similar if less effective job to him but for the moment he is way down on where he was last season.

Defensively I think vvd believes he needs to win every header as we have been generally so poor at them coming in the box so can understand why he wet for it, perhaps when he works out who is good at what he will trust some of his teammates more. He was damned if he did and if he didn't last might tough, if he did not go there to head away and they scored it would be all that we heard about with him not doing the primary job that we bought him for apparently. I think he played well last night and won a lot more aerial duels than we have been winning as a team all season. Looks composed on the ball too barring that one horrible sliced shot when he saw his name in lights for a second.

A lot more to come from this team but I would be breaking the bank to buy the player we already own for the rest of this season too, Naby is like a Can ad an Ox rolled into one and has a bit of steel about him as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

A few thoughts on last nite:

Our decision making at times was bloody woeful......Salahs effort with 5 or 10 mins left being an example....end line, right foot......cross it, dont shoot.

Not enough urgency, even allowing for the poor state of the pitch.

TAA should have come on, at least he will overlap, giving the opposition more to think about.

I dont think Can was that bad, Im more concerned over the lack of creativity from Ox and Wijnaldum. Can at least got on the bal and tried to make things happen.

I think it proves we need a new creative attacking player in January. I would have no problem with trying to bring in Lanzini.

Also, I dont have an issue with Gomez and Matip getting into positions to shoot....but fcuk me, on a wet sh!tty pitch, at least make the keeper work....he may spill a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Tusky wrote: »
    Last night is exactly the type of game that Coutiniho would pop up with a key goal or assist in.

Couts opened the scoring for us against Swansea last time out and v Bournemouth and Newcastle.  He also got the first assist and second goal v Leicester, they are all teams that have frustrated other top sides this season.

I do think that Lallana could do a similar if less effective job to him but for the moment he is way down on where he was last season.    

Defensively I think vvd believes he needs to win every header as we have been generally so poor at them coming in the box so can understand why he wet for it, perhaps when he works out who is good at what he will trust some of his teammates more.  He was damned if he did and if he didn't last might tough, if he did not go there to head away and they scored it would be all that we heard about with him not doing the primary job that we bought him for apparently. I think he played well last night and won a lot more aerial duels than we have been winning as a team all season.  Looks composed on the ball too barring that one horrible sliced shot when he saw his name in lights for a second.

A lot more to come from this team but I would be breaking the bank to buy the player we already own for the rest of this season too, Naby is like a Can ad an Ox rolled into one and has a bit of steel about him as well.
    Hes injured anyway so even if we kept him he wouldn;t have played, its no excuse we are miles better than Swansea just everyone had an off night,
    We defo need another attacker in this window our bench looked awful , no one coming on that you thought would score ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Mane really needs sorting out at this stage,he's been really off form this season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Knex. wrote: »

Was in his post match interview last night, thought it was very clever at the time. Not sure if they will stay up but they are heading in the right direction I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    There was utter fear last night when faced with a sea of bodies and a poor pitch.

No one wanted to really take responsibility.

I'm not having a go at you, but what does taking responsibility look like in the context of yesterday?

We had fairly good movement at the edge of the box, we worked some good 1-2s, we had people constantly looking for the ball over the top or in behind and it worked 2 or 3 times (lacking the finish). We had a fair few cracks from distance.

Maybe we played too narrow, but that's not new. That has to be sorted by the manager. I can't believe they weren't doing as they were told.

We've got really good attacking players who can bail us out on their own and our counter-press often provides us with an excellent platform to start attacks from inside the attacking third, but, once you stop those, I'm not convinced by how Klopp approaches our attacking game.

To be clear, this is saying that we're very good and are doing a wrong thing and not that everything needs to go in the bin, but I don't think we'll hit the very highest level if we don't sort it out.

We nearly muddled through yesterday, but when you look at the way City approach the game, not just in how much better supported their attack is from midfield, but with how much Sterling, Sane and the 2 full backs stretch the game, it shows a serious gulf in understanding how to approach this sort of stubborn defence, IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

You have to give him credit for his post match speech,he hit the nail on the head in fairness

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

So we need a bike rack on the back of the car so that a few players can weave in and out of traffic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Still feel like last night was a warning sign of things to come agaisnt the bottom half sides for rest of season. We are searching for a goal and we bring on danny ings. Just not good enough for a club of our stature.

Really feel we need a signing this window to give us another dimension in attack. Hopefully we go in for lemar this window

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

brevity wrote: »
    So we need a bike rack on the back of the car so that a few players can weave in and out of traffic.

Nah we just need a crazy bike messenger.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

I think I can solve his riddle and bring the glory days back to Liverpool...

Something that laughs in the face of 4pm London traffic and flies right over it...

Ryan-Babels-helicopter-006_400x400.jpg

ricero wrote: »
    Still feel like last night was a warning sign of things to come agaisnt the bottom half sides for rest of season. We are searching for a goal and we bring on danny ings. Just not good enough for a club of our stature.

Really feel we need a signing this window to give us another dimension in attack. Hopefully we go in for lemar this window

What will Lemar offer that we don't already have in the squad right now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Lemar.

Feel he will link the midfield to the attack. Also versatile and can cm, as the 10 or wide on the left.

If not lemar then another striker is badly needed. Ings, sturridge and solanke are not good enough.

• Advertisement

Feel he will link the midfield to the attack. Also versatile and can cm, as the 10 or wide on the left.

If not lemar then another striker is badly needed. Ings, sturridge and solanke are not good enough.

We have about 7 players that can do that in the squad right now would it be not better to sign a player who is a bit different to what we already have.

€100M is a lot to spend on a player when we 7 others who do the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭Alonso77

https://soundcloud.com/thestandwitheamondunphy/ep-121-liverpool-do-it-again

Didi, Dunphy and Giles flying out of the blocks to get the boot in.

Didi been very quiet for last 18 games - funny that

We have about 7 players that can do that in the squad right now would it be not better to sign a player who is a bit different to what we already have.

€100M is a lot to spend on a player when we 7 others who do the same thing.

Who are the 7 others ? Lallana would be the only player in that mould we have now but he looks way off the pace and cant be relied upon.

I think its a huge mistake not signing a replacement or other attack minded player this window. Feel it will cost us top four.

Still feel that klopps hands may be tied and the funds are not there until the summer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Mahrez seems like a no brainer to me, just sign him ffs!

Talk that Klopp won't like him because he can't track back is silly, if it's even true for starters but it's almost like saying we can't have any flair players unless they are work horses too, something Mourinho gets slated for in here. When we're playing a bus parking team it's no problem giving a player or two a license to thrill instead of worrying about him running round like a headless chicken trying to press a team that's just hoofing it anyway.

See no ones mentioned Karius today,
    I guess he didn't have a chance with there goal but the one that was flagged off-side showed how bad he is, beat at his near post again,
    It wrecks my head that our keepers never ever bale out the defenders if they make a mistake, literally any time our defenders mess up and others get a chance its a goal, our keepers never ever make a save that's not completely routine ,

Who are the 7 others ? Lallana would be the only player in that mould we have now but he looks way off the pace and cant be relied upon.

I think its a huge mistake not signing a replacement or other attack minded player this window. Feel it will cost us top four.

Still feel that klopps hands may be tied and the funds are not there until the summer.

I'm out now.

It's amazing how many people seem completely happy with the squad depth, they must have been gutted when we had Coutinho too, too many players on the books.

We need another striker/ wing forward, we do not have the numbers to get top four without another body , We needed  another striker/wide forward anyway and now we mite end up losing Cou and Studge in this window

We need another striker/ wing forward, we do not have the numbers to get top four without another body , We needed another striker/wide forward anyway and now we mite end up losing Cou and Studge in this window

Apparently Sturridge can't be counted as he hasn't been in the squad lately presumably because he wants a transfer, unfortunately it looks like a one legged version of him would be more dangerous than our other current options.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I guess he didn't have a chance with there goal but the one that was flagged off-side showed how bad he is, beat at his near post again,
    It wrecks my head that our keepers never ever bale out the defenders if they make a mistake, literally any time our defenders mess up and others get a chance its a goal, our keepers never ever make a save that's not completely routine ,
    I only saw brief highlights but that disallowed goal looked very poor from karius. Only saw it once so not sure if he heard a whistle. I also think mahrez would be a great signing . Ideal for games against 75% of the league .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Thought we should have gone 3 at the back early doors. Remember a few weeks back City were playing I think Newcastle, Kompany got injured after 10 minutes & Pep brought on Jesus. Need to be more flexible in our approach when met with a parked bus. Gomez has been OK but he offers us nothing going forward especially when you consider how much Robinson was on the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I thought Ings looked good last night.

He can stay injury free he could be useful.

Thought we should have gone 3 at the back early doors. Remember a few weeks back City were playing I think Newcastle, Kompany got injured after 10 minutes & Pep brought on Jesus. Need to be more flexible in our approach when met with a parked bus. Gomez has been OK but he offers us nothing going forward especially when you consider how much Robinson was on the ball.
    This 100% I would have put OX out right instead of Gomez and got Lallana on ,

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

MD1990 wrote: »
    I thought Ings looked good last night.

He can stay injury free he could be useful.

A better option than solanke if he can get back to close to where he was before he signed . I'd start him ahead of solanke against wba to see what he can do. Solanke has had a fair few chances at this stage.

Yup, Klopp needs to be way more flexible in his approach. Even the subs last night were baffling tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We spent the whole week in the build up to this game listening to players coming out and saying things like '' we need to stay focused, we need to make sure our attitude is right, forget City and go to Swansea and concentrate on ourselves and make sure we're at 100%''
    And what happens after all this talk, a shocking first half display. How can players and manager who prepare correctly and have every intention of going out there to do a good job fall flat on their faces. The mind was willing and wanted it, the heart was not there though. I don't get it, good intentions, but not followed through on.

Inter Milan have made a loan move for Liverpool's Daniel Sturridge.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42790515

Maybe Inter will do a swap deal for Icardi

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

and he turned his face away in case he got hit. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, it only struck me last night how small he actually is. Apparently he's 6ft 2 but he looked tiny in goals last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

So Klopps reaction to the Swansea fan last night are being kept under wraps according to some yet a quick google search brings up about 258000 Results.

Jose really has done a number on those United fans with a us against them mentality

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Nerdlingr wrote: »
    and he turned his face away in case he got hit. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Also, it only struck me last night how small he actually is. Apparently he's 6ft 2 but he looked tiny in goals last night.

I passed him on the street in Liverpool last year. He's fairly tall (though not that tall by modern keeper standards) but he's skinny as a rake.

Made to look even skinnier by those black leggings he was wearing last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Gbear wrote: »
    I'm not having a go at you, but what does taking responsibility look like in the context of yesterday?

We had fairly good movement at the edge of the box, we worked some good 1-2s, we had people constantly looking for the ball over the top or in behind and it worked 2 or 3 times (lacking the finish). We had a fair few cracks from distance.

Maybe we played too narrow, but that's not new. That has to be sorted by the manager. I can't believe they weren't doing as they were told.

We've got really good attacking players who can bail us out on their own and our counter-press often provides us with an excellent platform to start attacks from inside the attacking third, but, once you stop those, I'm not convinced by how Klopp approaches our attacking game.

To be clear, this is saying that we're very good and are doing a wrong thing and not that everything needs to go in the bin, but I don't think we'll hit the very highest level if we don't sort it out.

We nearly muddled through yesterday, but when you look at the way City approach the game, not just in how much better supported their attack is from midfield, but with how much Sterling, Sane and the 2 full backs stretch the game, it shows a serious gulf in understanding how to approach this sort of stubborn defence, IMO.

Too many players left it to others.

In this context, I meant responsibility in terms of running with the ball at a player instead of turning back and playing it safe.

We had alot of ball last night, like a serious amount so I'm not surprised we can find a few occasions what there was an attempt 1-2, or someone like Matip joining the fray but I think it was a very poor return for the amount of possession we had.

We can't concede first in those kind of games imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,385 ✭✭✭Nerdlingr

I passed him on the street in Liverpool last year. He's fairly tall (though not that tall by modern keeper standards) but he's skinny as a rake.

Made to look even skinnier by those black leggings he was wearing last night.

Yeah, it might have been because he dressed all in black (those leggings :rolleyes:) that it created some kind of optical illusion, but he looked tiny in goals last night. Like he could barely reach the crossbar!!

Well it's West Brom in the cup and Huddersfield in the league next so we're going to see a few more parked buses in the next week. And a lot more after that until the end of the season apart from the Spurs and Chelsea games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That Matip was involved in a couple of decent forays off his own bat presumably was bourn of his own frustration watching the midfield contribute feck all. Nearly worked as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Well it's West Brom in the cup and Huddersfield in the league next so we're going to see a few more parked buses in the next week. And a lot more after that until the end of the season apart from the Spurs and Chelsea games.

2 wins from our remaining 14 league games will be a fairly poor return!

Next year will be our year though :D

• Advertisement

That Matip was involved in a couple of decent forays off his own bat presumably was bourn of his own frustration watching the midfield contribute feck all. Nearly worked as well.

Wijnaldum should have been off at half-time. Swansea has no interest in even attempting to score again and he was doing nothing out there. For a player who's been an attacker for most of his career he is strangely passive in midfield. Never looks to drive forward.

Thought he had his best game of the season against City. He was everywhere. But last night's non-performance is becoming a little too common from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

The important thing remains that Tom Brady is still on course for ring no.6, guys. Let's not lose focus of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    The important thing remains that Tom Brady is still on course for ring no.6, guys. Let's not lose focus of that.
    He in the U-21's or something?

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

We need Agger to teach him how to fire off a rocket from outside the box

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    We need Agger to teach him how to fire off a rocket from outside the box

Or Coates to show him how to score a flying scissors kick..

https://youtu.be/9rlEg_GOyiA

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement