Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

While our unbeaten run was always going to end sometime, it's just annoying that it ended in such a fashion, we didn't show up and couldn't deal with what is basically a poor team doing very little other than defending well. I'm not saying those sort of teams are easy to beat, but you have to have that capability in your team, and last night we weren't even at the races. It just felt very familiar, and a lot of us here were worried that it might happen.

That said, there's no crisis yet, though how we perform in the next few games will be telling. I have to say though, I don't see us getting anyone in this window, so I'm not even going to get my hopes up there. For all the great football we've been playing (until last night) and the good results we've grinded out (also until last night) I still thought our bench looked a little thin, apart from Lallana and Milner, neither of which are really a 'key' to unlock a defence (though when Lallana gets back up to speed he will be good for us). Solanke and Ings aren't game changers from the bench. But I don't think anyone will be bought until the summer at the earliest. That the problem with Klopp's strategy of only getting who he wants and slowly building the team; short term it can be a pain for the fans. But hopefully, long term, he's building the team and squad that can win us things. Can't believe it's 6 years since we've won anything...

Ah well, the life of a Liverpool fan, eh?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

jasonb wrote: »

Ah well, the life of a Liverpool fan, eh?

It could be far more psychotic, measured only by the success/failure of another team (hint - not Everton obviously)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Mahrez would be a perfect signing for us but I don't think it'll happen.
    Anyone else notice the way matip acts,I only copt it the last four or five games,he acts very odd indeed,he reminds me of a little girl in the school yard prancing and skipping about,last night again when a decision went against him jumping up and down like a child who's not allowed sweets,just the way he moves and runs is annoying me now, he's certainly not a typical manly cb

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Mahrez would be a perfect signing for us but I don't think it'll happen.
    Anyone else notice the way matip acts,I only copt it the last four or five games,he acts very odd indeed,he reminds me of a little girl in the school yard prancing and skipping about,last night again when a decision went against him jumping up and down like a child who's not allowed sweets,just the way he moves and runs is annoying me now, he's certainly not a typical manly cb

What the holy feck?

Are you posting from 1972?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

What the holy feck?

Are you posting from 1972?
    To be fair I never saw Norman Hunter do that prancy little girly skip :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

we lost,it happens,if we only lose one or 2 of our next 20 we will be fine. i dont know why we dont just go hell for leather at teams who sit back like that, keep two defenders back at all times and just go for it ,fast as possible,if it breaks down they will do well to break and score,at the very least it would break there defensive stability, far too slow last night

And again from a corner.
    When was the last time Liverpool conceded from a corner?

Answer Seville. 51 corners ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Answer Seville. 51 corners ago.

We conceded from a corner against Everton a couple of weeks ago.

Unfortunately that was from our own corner, but it should still count. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Capture8.jpg

Post is not on target, either was Lallana chance, or Mane's wild attempts or Salah chances, On paper it looked ok, we won everything but the game.

Karius could never have saved that goal, happened too fast to even react. Mane had time to gather that ball before shooting though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

For someone touted as a world class talent in the summer lemar has done sfa this season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

noodler wrote: »
    Too many players left it to others.

In this context, I meant responsibility in terms of running with the ball at a player instead of turning back and playing it safe.

We had alot of ball last night, like a serious amount so I'm not surprised we can find a few occasions what there was an attempt 1-2, or someone like Matip joining the fray but I think it was a very poor return for the amount of possession we had.

We can't concede first in those kind of games imo.

I think Mane's carrying a knock. I can't understand where else his explosiveness has gone.

Him aside, and with Coutinho gone, we don't have that many people who are that direct.
    Salah has pace but running at defenders who are set isn't really his bag.
    It's either on the break or he gets played in around or behind them.
    AOC did it a fair bit I thought but he was doing it in midfield. It'd get us up the pitch a bit but we'd still usually end up stalled at the edge of the box.

I think the main issue is how central it was. I don't want anyone trying to run at players if they're just charging into 6 defenders. It's not clever football.
    I don't think Coutinho fixes yesterday. Not unless you mean baling us out with a 30 yarder or a free kick, but while it's better than losing, it's still not a good performance.

When Mane first came in, after lack of width was such a big problem, he seemed like a revelation. Directness and pace.
    It's not just a once off last night. The impetus for playing like that has often failed to appear in games like yesterday.

We've seen it with AOC, any of our full backs, Coutinho from the left or central. It's always cutting in, dropping short for a deep cross.
    They're fine but you need to stretch the play as well, if for no other reason than to keep the players honest.

If the players were so consistently doing it without Klopp's say so he'd have them staked out in front of Melwood and beaten with sticks.

Klopp is generally a much better coach but one thing Rodgers did get right was having that variation and movement up front, having usually Suarez, but often the others pulling out wide to create an angle of attack for the rest of the attack.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Now is not the time for Liverpool to panic . . . just yet

Paul Joyce.
    Warning: The following does not fit neatly into the “boom to bust” narrative which swirls around Liverpool. No one will be overly criticised — player, manager or owners — this is a piece that will metaphorically shrug its shoulders, rather than stamp its feet, so please stop reading now if that does not appeal.

It is de rigueur these days to pick apart every football match, to analyse the missed chance in finite detail and slow down the slow-mo of the goal at the corner, in order to draw a grand conclusion: he’s not good enough, they don’t care, what do they do on the training ground, they’re only in it for the money.

But what if the inquest into Liverpool’s defeat at bottom club Swansea City last night indicates that there should be no inquest? Not yet in any case.

Lose to West Bromwich Albion in the FA Cup on Saturday evening and then at Huddersfield Town next Tuesday in the Premier League, two assignments which might not be dissimilar to the task which confused Jürgen Klopp’s side at the Liberty Stadium, and there will be rather more evidence to consider.

Then, it might be more pertinent to suggest life without Philippe Coutinho has indeed become the risk Liverpool feared they might be taking.

Of course, it is valid to state that it will be too late to come up with dramatic findings after Huddersfield when the transfer window is about to close but let’s assume Klopp knows that too.

Perhaps for now, the 1-0 defeat should be viewed as a major irritation, rather than a major setback, and the test is how Liverpool now react. So far this season, they have not done badly at that.

When Liverpool lost 4-1 to Tottenham Hotspur at Wembley on October 22, and slumped to ninth in the Premier League, Klopp held a meeting with his players, dispatched a few home truths and rattled a few cages. He did his job, he managed.

Between then and pitching up in south Wales, Liverpool went 18 games unbeaten, topped their Champions League group, beat Manchester City, knocked Everton out of the FA Cup (which matters on Merseyside), signed Virgil van Dijk (and sold Coutinho) and moved up to fourth.

Of course, it is not enough. Liverpool should be aspiring for first place, and whether they are is a much wider debate, as pertinent after the tub-thumping win over Premier League leaders Manchester City nine days ago as it is now. But that run of results offers context.

So onto Swansea. Did Liverpool deserve to beat Carlos Carvalhal’s side? No. Did they deserve to lose? Not really. Is the “low block” Klopp’s kryptonite? Not especially.

Did they have chances to override the paucity of their performance? Yes: Mohamed Salah’s shot over the bar from Van Dijk’s pass, Sadio Mané’s effort that he sliced wide, Salah’s insistence on shooting with his right foot when Mané was waiting for a pass to tap-in in the six-yard area, Roberto Firmino’s header which hit the post, Adam Lallana’s failure to dispatch the rebound.

Liverpool sold Coutinho to Barcelona earlier this month for £142 million Liverpool sold Coutinho to Barcelona earlier this month for £142 million ALBERT GEA/REUTERS Do they lack strength in depth? The $64 million question (prices have risen after all). If Salah pulled his hamstring tomorrow and was out for six weeks, then there would certainly be a sense of fear.

But then Tottenham would feel the same way about Harry Kane, Arsenal would fret over Mesut Özil and Chelsea mourn Eden Hazard’s loss.

Liverpool’s attacking depth revolves around Danny Ings, who made a welcome cameo against Swansea but is still working his way back after injury, Daniel Sturridge, who wants to leave, Dominic Solanke, who had not scored a senior goal for the club yet, and Ben Woodburn, who should have been allowed to play in the FA Youth Cup last Saturday if he was not going to be on the substitutes’ bench.

It is not that Klopp has not considered reinvesting the Coutinho money. He has cooled on Monaco’s Thomas Lemar, presumably due to price, he does not apparently want Leicester City’s Riyad Mahrez and RB Leipzig’s Naby Keïta won’t arrive until the summer.

With a week to go before the window closes, his position remains that he will react if someone he wants becomes available. It is clear Klopp does not deal in knee-jerk reactions and the evolution of his squad in two-and-a-bit years has been impressive.

The coming weeks will determine whether Swansea was a blip or something more serious. Let’s reconvene after the home game with Brighton & Hove Albion on May 13 to reconsider."

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/sport/now-is-not-the-time-for-liverpool-to-panic-just-yet-rtwwqc0zh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Karius could never have saved that goal, happened too fast to even react. Mane had time to gather that ball before shooting though.

Was particularly garbage for the disallowed goal.

For the one that counted, he was never gonna reach it... but christ, he didn't even get close.

As long as he's in goal, I simply don't expect him to ever save anything that isn't literally straight at him.

All in all for last night, these things happen. Was exactly the type of game we'd struggle in, a bottom half team with a new manager and a renewed sense of purpose.

As someone pointed out though, wish we were getting guys to the by-line, and then pulling the ball back into onrushing strikers around the penalty spot. Even if it gets blocked out, we thrive on loose balls inside the box, and the more of those situations we create, the better it falls right for someone. Sure beats those timid pointless lateral passes in areas with no danger.

We also did well a few times to draw pressure, and then play our way through it... but then passed the ball all the way back instead of trying to take advantage of having committed a few of their players forward.

Anyway, bit of a reaction next game would be nice to see.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Thinking more about yesterday, I do wonder if complacency played a major part.

After all the praise of the City win, they probably thought a game against the bottom side would be a doddle.

I hope to see a similar reaction now like we had after the Spurs defeat.

Go on a run and chase 2nd which is still very obtainable despite all the Utd fans crowing yesterday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,608 ✭✭✭Damien360

murpho999 wrote: »
    Thinking more about yesterday, I do wonder if complacency played a major part.

After all the praise of the City win, they probably thought a game against the bottom side would be a doddle.

I hope to see a similar reaction now like we had after the Spurs defeat.

Go on a run and chase 2nd which is still very obtainable despite all the Utd fans crowing yesterday.

I don't think it was complacency. Just the expected result from a team that sits back and soaks up pressure. We have always struggled to break down these teams.

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/23/liverpool-talks-sign-luan-gremio-7255022/

Liverpool have opened talks with Gremio over a deal for Luan, according to reports. Mini Metro

http://metro.co.uk/2018/01/23/liverpool-talks-sign-luan-gremio-7255022/

Liverpool have opened talks with Gremio over a deal for Luan, according to reports. Mini Metro

Great let's sign him and get him ready for Barce or real

Metro? As reliable as one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Christ, seems like we've been after Luan forever!

Good player though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

We've already had a Luan Meltdown.

It's... It's an Irish joke....

I regret it.

Did we buy oblak yet?

Lord if Luan goes missing in a game can you imagine the headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Grayditch wrote: »
    We've already had a Luain Meltdown.

I regret it.

FYP

Unless you meant 'Rent Meltdown', in which case your regret would be appropriate

The Rodgers at it again.
    When I first went in there, Luis [Suarez] was destined for Juventus

“We were able to talk him round into staying and that the team would be built around him and his qualities.

https://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/676513/Liverpool-transfer-news-Brendan-Rodgers-Liverpool-Luis-Suarez-Juventus-interview-video

• Advertisement

To be fair to Brendan he got a super final season out of Suarez after the Luis agitated for a move. A full season too :)

So there we are Coutinho is actually more of bastard than Suarez :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

Grayditch wrote: »
    We've already had a Luan Meltdown.

I regret it.

Apparently they say he's as good as gold
    But I can see no reason
    Cause there no reasons
    What reasons are they to be sure

Tell me why
    I don't like Luan

Tell me why
    I don't like Luan as a player

Not even sure if that works cause my silicon chip inside my head has blown.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augeo wrote: »
    To be fair to Brendan he got a super final season out of Suarez after the Luis agitated for a move. A full season too :)

More of an outstanding season, no? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Date Team TV
    3rd Mar Newcastle BT Sports
    6th Mar Porto (POR) BT Sports
    10th Mar Man Utd (a) Sky Sports
    17th Mar Watford/FA Cup QF BT Sports
    31st Mar Palace (a) Sky Sports

• Advertisement

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/real-liverpool-way-theres-only-14195142

Imagine a season in which Liverpool lose twice to Manchester United, win at only one of the bottom seven clubs, are beaten at home by the team that finishes last, fail to score in two visits to Wembley and are knocked out of the FA Cup by a second-tier side.

It would be enough to send the modern-day, social media-active Reds fanbase into meltdown.

Such a season, as you may have guessed, has already happened.

But many would be surprised to discover all of that happened in the 1983-84 season, Liverpool's most successful season ever when they clinched the treble of league championship, League Cup and European Cup.
    While the bar has since been raised, then, like now, the Reds were criticised for each setback. They had, though, earned the right to be cut a little slack.

Klopp's Liverpool thus far haven't, although they are edging ever nearer.

The Swansea result is a non issue IMO.
    24 played... 47 points & in 4th place.

Can't complain all considered.

I think it was the worst performance of the season as we were poor from the start and just never looked like scoring; I wish we had a big game to bounce back in but its an FA Cup tie against Palace. I think it also showed our squad is weaker than I realised anyway; which is concerning especially if the front 3 have a rare off night

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

24 played... 47 points & in 4th place.

Can't complain all considered.

People will find a way, we were going to lose a game between now and May. Its better that we lose the ones and still be in an advantageous position.

My main worry is that for Salah to continue his goalsciring exploits to end of season would make him the most potent striker in PL history (or very close to it).... it's more or less inevitable that he won't.

Throw in Mane not being at his best and Phil s exit and it's maybe cause for some concern.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

ERG89 wrote: »
    I think it was the worst performance of the season as we were poor from the start and just never looked like scoring; I wish we had a big game to bounce back in but its an FA Cup tie against Palace. I think it also showed our squad is weaker than I realised anyway; which is concerning especially if the front 3 have a rare off night

While yes we were pretty awful. To say we never looked like scoring is a gross exaggeration. Unless you ascribe to the notion commonly held by pundits/commentators that only shots on target count as a chance ?

Which is why pragmatic common sense should be applied and another forward who can play two positions be brought in. Marhez seems a good idea right now!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

I don't get this "the Swansea result is a non issue". I agree its been exaggerated because we literally beat the best team in the league and the very next match go and lose to the bottom team in the league. It was a terrible performance and totally undoes the good work against City.

Very frustrating and i think people have a right to be p*ssed off about it. This was "classic Liverpool" in the eyes of most non Liverpool fans. The issue is that Liverpool never looked like scoring (apart from the freakish miss at the end). I think these are the situations where having Coutinho helped - someone who could unlock a defence that just sits back. I know these results also happened when he was there but the point is still relevant.

All in all things are going well but i think Liverpool need a little something extra

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

I think we all know and realise we need another striker /wide forward in and in Fast, will give the front 3 competition ,
    But I can't see it happing and I reckon we will finish 5th but get to the Semi's of the champions league

I think we will get we will get knocked out of the FA on Saturday I think Porto will knock us out of the CL and we will finish 6th in the league even if we buy a player before the window closes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

jones wrote: »
    I think these are the situations where having Coutinho helped - someone who could unlock a defence that just sits back. I know these results also happened when he was there but the point is still relevant.

I was disappointed Solanke wasn't brought on to mix things up a bit and bring some physicality to the attack. Bringing on Lallana and Ing's just injected more of what was already on the pitch and Swansea looked comfortable. Having a genuine target man would have given us more options and created more 2nd ball opportunities.

Would've, should've could've and all that :(

While yes we were pretty awful. To say we never looked like scoring is a gross exaggeration. Unless you ascribe to the notion commonly held by pundits/commentators that only shots on target count as a chance ?

Honestly bar the Firmino header late on & the Salah chance I didn't feel once we looked like scoring. The performance was flat as our midfield were slow in possession & offered no creativity with all our possession. The front 3 had an off night; constantly received the ball with their back to goal which contributed to that. Even in games we did lose we did something. But we had little on the bench to change it up as Lallana slowed the ball down more & Ings just isn't good enough. It was very poor to watch; I watched every minute of it & it was not an overly positive 90 minutes. Defeats are inevitable but those type of performances only happen once or twice a season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

I thought Lallana was game when he came on...but just kept running into deadends and blanket defence. Robertson's crossing from the left had a lot to be desired...especially the second half when we need a couple of chances.

And as for why VVD didnt go forward for the last 5 mins to try win something in the air...I dont know!!!

Pearce reporting Markovic could be off to Spartak Moscow.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

daheff wrote: »
    I thought Lallana was game when he came on...but just kept running into deadends and blanket defence. Robertson's crossing from the left had a lot to be desired...especially the second half when we need a couple of chances.

And as for why VVD didnt go forward for the last 5 mins to try win something in the air...I dont know!!!

Robertson played 1 or 2 great balls between the line and keeper if I remember correctly. We just didn't have someone ready to poach.

VVD did go up top before time added on kicked in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Pearce reporting Markovic could be off to Spartak Moscow.

:mad:

First Coutinho, now this. Why doesn't the club want us to succeed?!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    daheff wrote: »

Robertson played 1 or 2 great balls between the line and keeper if I remember correctly. We just didn't have someone ready to poach.

VVD did go up top before time added on kicked in.
    The one time we had two in there running into the space he played an awful cross along the ground  straight to the keeper,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Suarez had a great character and determination about him :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

No talk of the Lemar Pre-Nup?

• Advertisement

Klopp has indicated that he’s prepared to wait until the summer to re-invest the proceeds from Philippe Coutinho’s £142million move to Barcelona.

Liverpool have dismissed reports that they have agreed personal terms with Monaco’s Thomas Lemar.

The Reds were keen on a deal for the France international last summer and he remains on their radar but Klopp believes the £90million asking price is excessive. There is no interest in Gremio’s Brazilian forward Luan.

Sturridge is stalling over a move to the San Siro as he favours a switch to Sevilla. That isn’t currently an option with the La Liga outfit yet to follow up their initial interest with a serious offer.

https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/daniel-sturridge-could-make-liverpool-14198672

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement