Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If one of Salah or Firmino get injured, we'll struggle massively to win games. Captain Obvious, I know. Same as last season when Mane was out.

But for that reason, I really think we have to bring in another attacking option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Klopp has to learn from last season. FSG have to learn from Suarez & Torres as well.

Chelsea(Emerson & Dzeko),City(Laporte & Fred) & Arsenal(Evans & Aubameyang) in negotiations for for 2 players each.

Getting VVD was great but we sold one of our best players & doesn't look like anyine coming in. Very poor planing which we have seen previously under FSG selling Torres & Suarez & messing both up horribly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Yeah I have little confidence in anyone else coming this month. Mane has been poor and could use competition/backup.

Feel sorry for Chelsea though, having to settle for Dzeko because Andy Carroll is injured. We aren't the only club with problems if they thought Carroll was the answer!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

ERG89 wrote: »
    Honestly bar the Firmino header late on & the Salah chance I didn't feel once we looked like scoring. The performance was flat as our midfield were slow in possession & offered no creativity with all our possession. The front 3 had an off night; constantly received the ball with their back to goal which contributed to that. Even in games we did lose we did something. But we had little on the bench to change it up as Lallana slowed the ball down more & Ings just isn't good enough. It was very poor to watch; I watched every minute of it & it was not an overly positive 90 minutes. Defeats are inevitable but those type of performances only happen once or twice a season

Idk that feels more like perception rather then reality. Salah came close , Mane came close , Firmino came close and VVD had a decent chance. That we didn't score from them and that in our desperation we took so many wayward long distance shots may have lent to that perception but the reality is we had plenty of chances. If we had scored early in the second half when we picked up the pace we would have gone on to win imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,705 ✭✭✭54and56

MD1990 wrote: »
    Klopp has to learn from last season. FSG have to learn from and not repeat the errors from the sale of Suarez & Torres as well.

Chelsea(Emerson & Dzeko),City(Laporte & Fred) & Arsenal(Evans & Aubameyang) are rumoured to be in negotiations for for 2 players each.

Getting VVD was great but we sold one of our best players & doesn't look like anyine coming in which may simply prove that Klopp planned good and early to replace Coutinho with the Ox and brought him in during the summer to get used to the squad and style of play etc and why . Very poor smart planing by Klopp.which we have seen previously under FSG selling Torres & Suarez & messing both up horribly.

Glass half full :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Knex. wrote: »
    If one of Salah or Firmino get injured, we'll struggle massively to win games. Captain Obvious, I know. Same as last season when Mane was out.

But for that reason, I really think we have to bring in another attacking option.

We can just shuffle the whole team around to cover for an injured player, be grand, chill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

The more this window goes on without a signing the more i am convinced that the coutinho money has been already banked on van dijk and keita.

Baffling that we dont strengthen the team this window. Ings and solanke are not good enough. We are one injury away from our season becoming a serious struggle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

ricero wrote: »
    The more this window goes on without a signing the more i am convinced that the coutinho money has been already banked on van dijk and keita.

Baffling that we dont strengthen the team this window. Ings and solanke are not good enough. We are one injury away from our season becoming a serious struggle.

Money is money. It doesn't matter which of Liverpool's many source streams it came from..... trying to ringfence specific income and attribute specific meaning or spending for it is pointless. 75m of that large pool of money went on Van Dijk, the most expensive defender in history, and a player who - even with Coutinho leaving - likely leaves us stronger overall than we were at the start of the window.

Maybe we'll make another signing if the right player becomes available, maybe we won't. But we can be very very very sure from Klopp's history that that will be the reason - not because the money isn't there. He has his targets, and if they're gettable, we pay the price. If they're not, we wait till they are.

So can we please stop talking about "Coutinho Money".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Money is money. It doesn't matter which of Liverpool's many source streams it came from..... trying to ringfence specific income and attribute specific meaning or spending for it is pointless. 75m of that large pool of money went on Van Dijk, the most expensive defender in history, and a player who - even with Coutinho leaving - likely leaves us stronger overall than we were at the start of the window.

Maybe we'll make another signing if the right player becomes available, maybe we won't. But we can be very very very sure from Klopp's history that that will be the reason - not because the money isn't there. He has his targets, and if they're gettable, we pay the price. If they're not, we wait till they are.

I can't agree we are stronger as a team with VVD for Coutinho.

It will take many games of VVD playing well for that argument to be anything other than theory.

What we know right now after one league game is that Coutinho's loss was felt more than VVD 's arrival was felt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Klopp has to learn from last season. FSG have to learn from Suarez & Torres as well.

Chelsea(Emerson & Dzeko),City(Laporte & Fred) & Arsenal(Evans & Aubameyang) in negotiations for for 2 players each.

Getting VVD was great but we sold one of our best players & doesn't look like anyine coming in. Very poor planing which we have seen previously under FSG selling Torres & Suarez & messing both up horribly.

It's one step forward, one step back. We realised we needed to add depth in attack last season after being found out when key players were injured. So we added Salah. Now we have sold our best attacking player without a replacement and are essentially back to square one. If Salah or Firmino is injured we are pretty screwed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,036 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

noodler wrote: »
    I can't agree we are stronger as a team with VVD for Coutinho.

It will take many games of VVD playing well for that argument to be anything other than theory.

What we know right now after one league game is that Coutinho's loss was felt more than VVD 's arrival was felt.

Totally, we'll know better after more games have been played and VVD's contribution becomes clearer - but distilling it to a basic level, we lost a great player in an area were strong in, and gained a great player in an area we were weak in.

I do want us to add to the attack though - my main point in that post is just that I don't think money is the main reason for not buying, rather I think whatever we do is what Klopp wants to do , based on who is available now and who will be available in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

I do think if Klopp wants a player FSG will back him so it will be down to him to get someone in. And we do need some good players.

Klopp must have serious confidence in himself and his squad and that people will be patient with him if everything goes to pot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Also we need French players...

This guy seems good

🔴🔵 Tanguy Ndombèlé (21) vs Paris Saint-Germain:

58 touches
    32/34 passes
    6/6 dribbles
    4/4 tackles
    4 fouls won
    2/2 long balls
    2 fouls
    1 interception
    1 key pass

Our man of the match. All he lacks is a consistent penalty area presence. He has everything else. Exceptional. https://t.co/XAqqZGX1um

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

brevity wrote: »

This guy seems good

Tanguy Ndombèlé (21) vs Paris Saint-Germain:

58 touches
    32/34 passes
    6/6 dribbles
    4/4 tackles
    4 fouls won
    2/2 long balls
    2 fouls
    1 interception
    1 key pass

Our man of the match.

How will he do away at Metz?
    No overhit basic passes or long range punts from 40 yards so I can't see him playing for us in 2 years when it hits Klopp that we need better quality in midfield than Jekyll and Hyde Wijnaldum

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

brevity wrote: »

This guy seems good

🔴🔵 Tanguy Ndombèlé (21) vs Paris Saint-Germain:

58 touches
    32/34 passes
    6/6 dribbles
    4/4 tackles
    4 fouls won
    2/2 long balls
    2 fouls
    1 interception
    1 key pass

Our man of the match. All he lacks is a consistent penalty area presence. He has everything else. Exceptional. https://t.co/XAqqZGX1um

Have we ever signed a French player that was a success?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

I think we will get we will get knocked out of the FA on Saturday I think Porto will knock us out of the CL and we will finish 6th in the league even if we buy a player before the window closes.

jeeeeez :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Was thinking that myself. Houllier signed a few of course and Cisse and *ahem* Traore won CL medals but I'd say French players haven't exactly shone at the club. I'd be signing more Uruguayans if nationality is anything to go by :D

Pongolle, Le Tallec, Cheryou, Anelka of course, can't think of any roaring successes.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Was thinking that myself. Houllier signed a few of course and Cisse and *ahem* Traore won CL medals but I'd say French players haven't exactly shone at the club. I'd be signing more Uruguayans if nationality is anything to go by :D

Pongolle, Le Tallec, Cheryou, Anelka of course, can't think of any roaring successes.

To be fair to Cisse he was very unlucky with the ould leg breaks.

Traore vs Fulham up against Sessegnon. No contest here

Traore has his flaws but at 21 I wouldn't mind at all if we signed him. Huge threat with his pace & dribbling. Worth a 15-20m bid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

jonnycivic wrote: »
    To be fair to Cisse he was very unlucky with the ould leg breaks.
    Oh definitely. best of the bunch, a likeable character too - fond memories of him dancing around Ol' Big Ears :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Oh definitely. best of the bunch, a likeable character too - fond memories of him dancing around Ol' Big Ears :D

I remember when he signed for us I thought he was an arrogant P**** but I grew to like him and wanted him to do really well for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Shame on you forgetting the great man

x43r0 wrote: »
    Shame on you forgetting the great man

Actually one he is forgetting is Anelka :P

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/956466596960235520

fair play to FSG & Klopp they have heard the comnplaints & are now spending the Coutinho money :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/956466596960235520

fair play to FSG & Klopp they have heard the comnplaints & are now spending the Coutinho money :p

Jaysis, ricero will be over to Woodie's for a 3-legged stool and 6 foot of rope.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

~Rebel~ wrote: »

I dont fully get this argument......we will wait until they are available.....so does that mean that if we want to buy a player who has 3 years left on a contract, and the club wont sell, then we will wait 3 years for him, or wait 2 and get him cheap? Makes no sense to me....Player is not available, so surely there should be a Plan B???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Getting top 4 last season doesn't really excuse our lack of depth, nor would doing it again this season.

It's about risk. We're nowhere near secure enough in the CL places to take them for granted and think we can canter to the finish line.

We do have 1 more body this season, with Coutinho out but AOC and Salah in. The competition is far stronger though, and 3 of our 4 competitors for top 4 are strengthening while Spurs will possibly get more consistent if their defence is fit for the 2nd half of the season.

It's well and good being patient and saying that Klopp is here for 5 more years or whatever, but we lose 2 years if we don't qualify for CL.
    We can probably afford to miss CL for one year after we put a proper title challenge together, but if we do it before we get to there, we'll struggle to ever get enough quality in to challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Traore vs Fulham up against Sessegnon. No contest here

Traore has his flaws but at 21 I wouldn't mind at all if we signed him. Huge threat with his pace & dribbling. Worth a 15-20m bid.

Hes quick.....his ball control looks average to be fair

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,796 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I doubt a Championship rotation player who isn't scoring goals is anywhere near the level of player we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Hes quick.....his ball control looks average to be fair

Less than average

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Looks like Masch is going to the Chinese Super League.
    Boo to that, I'd love to have him back even for the rest of this season to cover or midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Looks like Masch is going to the Chinese Super League.
    Boo to that, I'd love to have him back even for the rest of this season to cover or midfield.

Why are people always looking for washed out ex-players to come back?

I doubt a Championship rotation player who isn't scoring goals is anywhere near the level of player we need.

He will reach the level needed imo.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why are people always looking for washed out ex-players to come back?

Far from washed out, solid midfield player that can win the ball and lay off a pass up the pitch to start an attack.

Far too many of our midfielders pick up the ball and go for a sideways or backwards pass allowing teams like Swansea to regroup in numbers at the back while we play across the back 4.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

https://www.si.com/soccer/2018/01/25/psg-boss-unai-emery-informs-liverpool-and-spurs-target-he-no-longer-has-future-club

Would be decent, always fit, has played 200 games plus in previous 4 seasons, Mbappe keeps him out of side these days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Far from washed out, solid midfield player that can win the ball and lay off a pass up the pitch to start an attack.

Far too many of our midfielders pick up the ball and go for a sideways or backwards pass allowing teams like Swansea to regroup in numbers at the back while we play across the back 4.

I agree that he's not washed up and he's a fantastic player still...however, I recall complaining about his sideways passing during his stint with us I got plenty of stick for it at the time but I still stand over it almost 10 years later. Mascherano isn't going to start attacks, he'll win the ball and lay it off, he needs an Alonso type next to him.

I'd like Kovacic - guy can defend and can go forward too, he'd be an upgrade on Can should we lose him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Everyone but Spurs and Liverpool have added players (assuming Arsenal get Aboomerang) that they need.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Everyone but Spurs and Liverpool have added players (assuming Arsenal get Aboomerang) that they need.

Eh...... VVD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see a few places are saying we might bid for Rondon.

That would actually make a bit of sense if he was happy to be a plan B type player.

His workrate is second to none he offers a lot with his pressing he can play he tradisional striker role or as a target man.

• Advertisement

Liverpool did add a central defender to their ranks this month :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

A world record fee for a defender is easily forgotten.

:D

We also sold that Coutinho fella so are looking light at the front end.

:D

We also sold that Coutinho fella so are looking light at the front end.

Ah but you said we didnt add players we need when in fact we did :P we just need more of them :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Wiji and Can not very offensive, relying on Ox to open up defences, or to supply front 3 against Swansea was wishful thinking. We need to be brave enough to start two hard working but creative players in midfield, Ox and Lallana, with one of Can ,Henderson, or Wij sitting deeper.
    Ideally in this window we should be buying an upgrade on Ox and Lallana who can play that role. We need a 15 goal a season midfielder, we lost one who was on 12 goals before he left.

Turns out barca are to pay the 105 million in installments over 4 years and pearce is saying there will be no more signings this window.

What a time to be alive

Fairly standard payment structure then. No one pays 104m in one go.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Why do I get the feeling we would nearly forget do that for Van Dijk.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Pretty obvious what Harry meant, we sold one and bought one. If Arsenal get Aubamayang then they're up a player with Mkhi coming in and Sanchez going out.

I was sure a lot of people suggested we got 104 million up front.

Very dissapointed with this transfer window even with van dijk. I see it again as a failure to kick on and improve the team. Think the clubs reluctance to add to the attack will see us pipped to top four

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement