Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

murpho999 wrote: »
    This is a really negative tone that is a prevalent narrative in this thread.

I don't think there's any moral high ground in failing to win the league. I would be massively disappointed if we were owned by a dodgy sheikh or an oligarch. If the club grew to a scale on the size of Utd and was spending big on that basis that would be great. What FSG have done in developing the club has been done to death. They're not running a charity but they're not bleeding the club dry. We're in the middle there somewhere and without having the clubs accounts we don't know precisely where but we can guess.

We're at this middle class level in the market for 30 years, not poor but not very very rich, so I don't understand this constant faux outrage from some fans.

The player sales, tv money and the commercial growth are driving the £75m. That money also drives the payment of players wages, stadium etc etc. Will people get the pitch forks out next summer when they realise it's not John and Linda's personal cash? It's tiring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Why in god's name are we not in for aubameyang

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Honestly - Do Liverpool fans moan more than any other fans? Maybe it's just who i'm following but there seems to be a constant torrent of fans lambasting FSG on twitter... constantly attacking the club's ambition etc... there's a fair share of it in here also. Question yes, but the constant moaning for moaning's sake seems to be a trait Liverpool fans excel at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Lalana wasn't available while Couthino was here and he is back now. After a few games I'm hoping he will be back playing like last season and he will be un-droppable if he manages it.
    That is a big IF.

Lallana is a good player but injury prone & scored 2 goals in 2017 for us.

He is a long way off his 2016 form. He has looked way off in his appearances this year but can only improve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

MD1990 wrote: »
    That is a big IF.

Lallana is a good player but injury prone & scored 2 goals in 2017 for us.

He is a long way off his 2016 form. He has looked way off in his appearances this year but can only improve.

I don't think it is a big if. Lalana thrives under Klopp, he's been excellent since Klopp came in, probably our most improved player.

I wouldn't mark two goals against him, his overall play was what mattered and he was the one who started the press in most games, he forced errors from the opposition and won the ball back high up the field.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

shamrock55 wrote: »

Firstly it's his age.
    Secondly, I think Klopp said before Mikytarian moved to Utd that he doesn't like to buy his old players because he has already developed them and doesn't want to start again or some such thing.
    Thirdly, I think that he's apparently a bit of a troublemaker behind the scenes. So Wenger has got rid of one and is bringing in another :)

I'd love him at LFC though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,294 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Looks like Masch is going to the Chinese Super League.
    Boo to that, I'd love to have him back even for the rest of this season to cover or midfield.

Not after how he left the club

It would be weird if we beat them in final but Couthino walks up and collects medal with Liverpool.

Do a John Terry sitting in the stands with his full kit on under his suit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,068 ✭✭✭jones

Things seem to be heating up again about lemar.. I'd love it if we signed him 😀

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Given Klopp managed him I'd trust his judgement on this one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Lalana wasn't available while Couthino was here and he is back now. After a few games I'm hoping he will be back playing like last season and he will be un-droppable if he manages it.

The problem is what happens if somebody else gets injured. We could cover lalanas injury because coutinho was here. Klopp is taking a big risk if we don't get in another decent player that can play in the front 4.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

jones wrote: »
    Things seem to be heating up again about lemar.. I'd love it if we signed him 😀

Why? He's hardly pulling up trees in a weaker league

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,509 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Who cares, he is gone

As long as I follow football, its unlikely I won't enjoy watching Coutinho play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Yeah we seem to have cooled on Lemar. Arsenal too. He's clearly available for sale at the right price. I've never really seen the lad play but I'd say if he's regressed, both clubs have changed their minds. We all remember the hype around Markovic, Depay etc. when they were banging them in in lesser leagues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,388 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

The problem is what happens if somebody else gets injured. We could cover lalanas injury because coutinho was here. Klopp is taking a big risk if we don't get in another decent player that can play in the front 4.

I'm wondering will Henderson play further forward like at the end of Rodgers/start of Klopp time here. That's where I feel he played the best for us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Id imagine Lemar is having a bit of a poor season due to the fact the team itself is weakened, and he probably wish he had a left, You only have to look at Marhez in the Prem, he was bad last year but new manger team playing well and he is at it again ,

Ox .... as we saw against Swansea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

God knows. The club should come out and issue a statement in order to clarify the reasons why. Along with same for all other strikers / AMs across Europe we are not buying.
    Or maybe Klopp moves in mysterious ways and we'll just have to wait till he acts, and get on with supporting the team as-is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Maybe because Klopp knows the player and his attitude having signed him for Dortmund

Maybe because of Aubas antics over the last 2 transfer windows and the influence of his father/family.

Maybe because Klopp asked close friends in Watzke and Zorc and few players at Dortmund and he was told to stay away.

Funny thing is that only Arsenal have made a seriuos move for the player and at that dont seem willing to go all out fee wise to get him. No one else even though his father has been pimping him to Madrid, Milan, China......think that says a lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I'm not sure who fans expect the club to sign tbh.

Lets work on the (not too mad) assumption that Klopp knows what he is at and has a replacement (or replacements more likely) in mind, but that he/they cannot be got till the summer. This isn't FIFA 18, we can't just 'throw more money at them', some clubs simply won't sell.

That leaves us trying to buy someone who fits the following criteria:
    1. Better than Danny Ings - the easiest criteria to satisfy.
    2. Preferably not cup-tied in FA Cup or CL.
    3. Unless there is an injury he must be willing to sit on the bench and play the odd game - most likely in 'massive' games against Brighton, Newcastle and WBA - because a non-top target isn't replacing any of the current front 3 as a regular starter.
    4. He must either come at a price that doesn't stop us buying our main target(s) in the summer due to lack of funds OR can be easily sold in in July when he becomes surplus to requirements.

Not many fit that bill to be fair. By all means sign someone who fits those criteria..if there is one available. I'm not sure there is.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Benimar wrote:

A goalie or someone to come in if the front 3 get injured. It won't happen but we should have bought a centre back last summer and waited until January so we'll do the same here.
    The very poor performance on Monday against a dreadful team has raised questions and if we drop below Arsenal and or Spurs we will look like morons for selling one of our best attackers in January and not buying someone to fill his role.

ERG89 wrote: »
    A goalie or someone to come in if the front 3 get injured. It won't happen but we should have bought a centre back last summer and waited until January so we'll do the same here.
    The very poor performance on Monday against a dreadful team has raised questions and if we drop below Arsenal and or Spurs we will look like morons for selling one of our best attackers in January and not buying someone to fill his role.

Yes, getting both would be great...but who are these players? Thats my point.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

garra wrote: »
    God knows. The club should come out and issue a statement in order to clarify the reasons why. Along with same for all other strikers / AMs across Europe we are not buying.
    Or maybe Klopp moves in mysterious ways and we'll just have to wait till he acts, and get on with supporting the team as-is.

I'd imagine unless klopp finds the right player and can make a deal happen then he will pull the trigger. I defo think he is right to wait instead of signing a player for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Benimar wrote: »

Lets work on the (not too mad) assumption that Klopp knows what he is at and has a replacement (or replacements more likely) in mind, but that he/they cannot be got till the summer. This isn't FIFA 18, we can't just 'throw more money at them', some clubs simply won't sell.

3. Unless there is an injury he must be willing to sit on the bench and play the odd game - most likely in 'massive' games against Brighton, Newcastle and WBA - because a non-top target isn't replacing any of the current front 3 as a regular starter.
    4. He must either come at a price that doesn't stop us buying our main target(s) in the summer due to lack of funds OR can be easily sold in in July when he becomes surplus to requirements.

Not many fit that bill to be fair. By all means sign someone who fits those criteria..if there is one available. I'm not sure there is.

Richarlison? He'd be expensive but an option.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

I disagree with 3 to be honest........the front 3 should be all rotated with 2 games a week, so he would have to be happy with some time on the bench.....but not as much bench time as Solanke in the first half of the season.

We have played 2 3 or 4 of the main attacking players......its not as if we need to have a first 11......we need about 15 or 16 who play regularly, and then cover....squad game now

Also, we were willing to pay extra to get Keita in early......we are willing to pay 60m (apparently) for Lemar.......Monaco want 90.......why cant we at least try and get him for 70/75?

Aubameyang played RW under Klopp at Dortmund. Like Mkhitaryan they didn't play their best football under Klopp.

Klopp obviously felt Mkhitaryan wasn't good enough & he was poor at Man Utd. Aubameyang might not do well in the PL if he joins.

I disagree with 3 to be honest........the front 3 should be all rotated with 2 games a week, so he would have to be happy with some time on the bench.....but not as much bench time as Solanke in the first half of the season.

We have played 2 3 or 4 of the main attacking players......its not as if we need to have a first 11......we need about 15 or 16 who play regularly, and then cover....squad game now

Also, we were willing to pay extra to get Keita in early......we are willing to pay 60m (apparently) for Lemar.......Monaco want 90.......why cant we at least try and get him for 70/75?

Assuming no cup replays (which they might be rested for anyway), it would be April, and a CL Semi Final before Liverpool would have to play on back to back midweeks.

Firmino, Salah and Mane are well capable of doing a saturday, tuesday, saturday, midweek-off, saturday run. Throw in games against 'weaker' teams, which they might be on the bench for, and they can get plenty of rest without having to be rotated every second game! Look at City, De Bruyne plays every game! These players (bar one :pac:) aren't made of glass.

In relation to Lemar, neither you nor I, or anyone else on this forum has the first clue about the negotiations with Monaco. We could have offered higher than 60m and been told to PFO for all we know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,480 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

It's that time of year where everything can be lost within a couple of weeks. We'll either move into next round of FA cup and Champions League while continuing the fight for 2nd place in league, or we'll crash out of both and drop down out of top 4.
    Seem's we're willing to gamble on not signing anyone too, while allowing our only natural striker to leave. If all this goes pair shaped we'll be a laughing stock.

• Advertisement

Lallana injured
    Great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Any forward would be the spare man for rote selection -

i.e Salah out X in,
    Firmino out X in
    Mane out X in,
    Ox-Cham out X in.

As well as obviously injury cover. He'd get a decent number of games helping to keep the attack fresh. Not too mention be available for next season:) It's not as if the player would be brought as a short term fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Lallana injured
    Great

Klavan is also out, this is great news....

Lallana looking more like a Sturridge replacement(if he goes) than a Coutinho one.

Mignolet back in goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Benimar wrote:
    Yes, getting both would be great...but who are these players? Thats my point.

Allison & Leon Bailey?
    I could suggest more but I don't work for Liverpool so why bother wasting my time.
    Lallana injured Great

Totally uncommon for players to pick up injuries after a long term one. Nobody saw this being an issue clearly.
    Being serious for a moment if we suffer 2 of them up front we'll have to change formation as Lallana is cover for a number of the starting XI.

Klopp will demand that Salah, Kane & De Gea are signed when he takes over as Madrid manager in the summer.

Thank god we're not relying on Lallana to be fit for the rest of the season!

https://twitter.com/Kolology/status/956861269142843392

Looks like we will be signing Quincy Promes in 2019.

and he'll cost three time as much!

• Advertisement

Looks like we will be signing Quincy Promes in 2019.

I hope he wised up after seeing the VVD nonsense and got a release clause included.

Lallana & Milner look to be out for just the west brom game.

Henderson might be back though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Assuming no cup replays (which they might be rested for anyway), it would be April, and a CL Semi Final before Liverpool would have to play on back to back midweeks.

Firmino, Salah and Mane are well capable of doing a saturday, tuesday, saturday, midweek-off, saturday run. Throw in games against 'weaker' teams, which they might be on the bench for, and they can get plenty of rest without having to be rotated every second game! Look at City, De Bruyne plays every game! These players (bar one :pac:) aren't made of glass.

In relation to Lemar, neither you nor I, or anyone else on this forum has the first clue about the negotiations with Monaco. We could have offered higher than 60m and been told to PFO for all we know.

Very true but the press are saying that Klopp values him at 60m and wont go higher, and Monaco want 90....no indication that we are willing to negotiate, yet we were willing to give another 10m for a player that iis ours in the summer.

Bad and all as it is at Chelsea, they have Morata, Batschiya, Hazard, Pedro and Willian as attacking options.....and they brought in Barkley

We have Salah, Firmino, Mane, Ox, Ings and Solanke....their back up options are much much better than ours.

We need another quality attacking player

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Augeo wrote: »
    Lallana & Milner look to be out for just the west brom game.

Henderson might be back though :)

The problem is we needed lallana to play the fa cup game to get him up to speed . There is now no chance he will start the spurs game even if fit.

Flu is running through the WBA squad, so that's something I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,502 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Flu is running through the WBA squad, so that's something I suppose.

The only pace they have in their squad. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

"Since the summer Liverpool have spent

£154.9m

And received from player sales

£179.2m

This don't include champions league money or TV money

And some think this ok SHOCKING"

Copied and pasted this from twitter. Crazy if true. Really feel this window is another missed opportunity and a classic 1 step forward and 2 steps back which we have become acustomed to under FSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

Bowlardo wrote: »
    I think lemar in the summer will be got for 65

lets get him before the world cup

ricero wrote: »

Copied and pasted

:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

I really think mahrez would be a great signing,I'd prefer him to lemar anyway

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement