Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I had no problem us going out of the fa cup last year as we had no squad and the main aim was getting CL which was important to reestablish ourselves. This year was different we have more options in the squad and I expected to have a go at the fa cup. Klopp did have a go at it he picked a very strong team but we lost. These things happen we just didn't play well on the night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

Benimar wrote: »
    If you are going to have a pop, at least have your facts correct. We have finished Top 4 in 4 of the last 10 completed seasons.

We also have a better squad than any time since 08/09

I want having a pop, I was stating facts, 40% top 4 finish and 10% cup win.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

West Brom really hurt us in the first half.....their first 2 goals were quite good, I know we didn't deal well with them but it was good play and finishes. We just seemed all over the place first half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,634 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

noodler wrote: »
    But, but De Gea!!

Nah I agree.

Karius doesn’t even attempt to make a save, just looks at the ball going by him seeming confused and wondering why he’s there!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

If there’s one positive from this week, it has removed that nonsense about Emre Can being what we need. Couldn’t believe he got praise when he wasn't even good for that City game

He was very good against City as he usually is against the "big" teams but he rarely seems to show up against the "smaller" teams. It's infuriating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

i would bring hendo, robertson, gomez and karius in for huddersfield on tuesday night.

time for klopp to be ruthless and give mingolet, moreno and can their marching orders. still pathetic that we have to rely on danny ings to try change the game from the bench. pathetic for a club of our size and stature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Oranage2 wrote: »
    Well the fact is in the last 10 years liverpool won 1 cup and finished in the top 4 twice. It's a fact liverpool can barely compete for just one of them, nevermind both.
    Benimar wrote: »
    If you are going to have a pop, at least have your facts correct. We have finished Top 4 in 4 of the last 10 completed seasons.

We also have a better squad than any time since 08/09

er you seem to be dealing in false facts, which you then pretend didn't happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

Fair enough, but those aren’t the stats you stated. You had us at 20% CL qualification

er you seem to be dealing in false facts, which you then pretend didn't happen.

Is anyone surprised?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭Blondie919

ricero wrote: »
    i would bring hendo, robertson, gomez and karius in for huddersfield on tuesday night.

time for klopp to be ruthless and give mingolet, moreno and can their marching orders. still pathetic that we have to rely on danny ings to try change the game from the bench. pathetic for a club of our size and stature.

Klopp likes all those players so I don’t think he can or will be ruthless. We are stuck with the players we have till the season ends. And even then I fear we’ll still have Morono and Mig when the new season starts.

We seem to be a club that will be ok with losing our best players while holding onto our worst. Makes no sense but that’s the Liverpool way.

It will be a long time before we win the league again. I am resigned to this fact. But I would love if we won a cup now and again. Can’t see it happening with this squad though. A major overhaul of the goalkeeper and defence has to take place but I don’t see that happening either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ah c'mere that seems a bit over the top given that he's already gotten Liverpool to multiple finals.

And didn't win any.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see Klopp is saying Can is running down his contract and basically saying he will leave in the summer without saying it.

Let's look at this realistically it will cost close to £50m+ if not more to get a player in to replace him.

We already could have been doing with bringing in a £50m + midfielder anyway.

It's going to cost £70m+ replacement in for Coutinho.

It will cost £50+ to get a keeper in during the summer.

So again we are looking at spending £200m+ during the summer.

I myself would like to see us sign Alisson as I don't think Oblak wants to leave Spain.

Lemar, Brandt & Pulisic will all be forward targets.

It's the two CM players that I'd struggle picking players.

I still think myself a player like Rondon would be a good plan B option he has talent runs all day and play both typical striker & target man role.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Well that Arsenal fan hilariously stating his incorrect "facts" has brightened up an otherwise miserable thread today :D

Flanagan starts for the U-23s. Terrible form from the club imo.

Well that Arsenal fan hilariously stating his incorrect "facts" has brightened up an otherwise miserable thread today :D

He's always at it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

After a night to think about it. Mignolet is finished mentally he did not even gather the balls for those offside goals.

Moreno can’t defend and is a headless chicken just running around.

Cab has his sights else where should not be in the team let alone have the arm band.

Countinho sale we don’t know what was promised in the summer if anything or how Countinho was acting in the dressing room. If he wanted out and causing a fuss then get rid for as best a price as you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Taxi for cab!!!, it would be too slow, get him a helicopter and I was a big fan a few months ago but his attitude /laziness last night was rank, we were much better after the substitutions

I know it's a German thing but it's just weird and counter-productive to make two players who are on the way out part of the (any) starting 11 - Can we know will be off, while Klopp also indicated Mignolet is now second choice and therefore it's not a shock if he really doesn't give a damn (and I will admit it's hard to spot the difference between committed and disinterested when it comes to him).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭fatherted1969

Feel free to ignore lads but it's just my opinion and I've said it about my own club plenty of times too. If you accept 4th place as success of any sort over a cup win you're accepting mediocrity and that's not Liverpool. That's what happened to Arsenal 10 years ago and it seeped from the boardroom through every player in the club. It's great to show progress of sorts but it's also great to have a cup win to keep things ticking over while you're rebuilding. Arsenal of late have chipped in with a few cups but the attitude of qualification for the champions league being seen as success is garbage. Liverpool are still seen as a massive club and with proper backing from the board should still be able to match nearly all clubs who don't have backing from a sugar daddy. On a final note I'm unsure if Klopp spent 75M each on 4 defenders would he get them to stop shipping goals. He has a blind spot on how he sets teams up, great to watch but it's so open at times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

I cant see how people rate Can so highly. He is a good all round center mid but thats it. Good. Not great. He is the Liverpool version of James McCarthy ffs.

The sooner he f@@ks off to Juve and we are forced to replace him, the better.

He wont cost 50 million to replace because he isnt a 50 million pound player. I hope we replace him with a 50 million pound player but that would be a huge upgrade.

I think we need someone like Modric playing Can's role. Someone who can actually find a killer pass and can actually read a game. Can is just all potential and no end product. Sure he has the odd moment of magic but its too far and few between. I think Spearing had more magic moments than Can.

I would get rootless now at this stage and not play Can, Migs (he has his chances), Moreno or Lovren for the rest of the season.

We need to play Milner Hendo and Wjini/Lallana in midfield. Let Karius have a run but only because he isnt too much different from Migs

• Advertisement

Can is a nice player to have in the squad.....can be really really good on his day, but as many have said he can be replaced.

Was Can captain last night?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

NukaCola wrote: »

I think he was...

The Can that turned up last night VS the City Can is some difference, does he just not care he is playing "lesser opposition"

Lesser opposition that beat us fair and square... :(

Yes he was until Henderson came on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

People debating whether a cup win or top 4 are missing the point and are examples of how expectations and standards have dropped amongst supporters.

A club like Liverpool, iif run correctly, should be comfortably achieving top 4 on a consistent basis, competing for league titles and picking up cups now and then.

There's no way I'd be happy just getting 4th place every season and not winning anything.

Also, replacing Coutihno and Can does not have to cost the earth. Can was not a £50m player when we bought him and I don't think he is now. Nor was Coutinho who cost £8m, go out and scout properly to find the next one or if you find one who's in his prime then spend the cash.
    The thing not to do is sell your best player early in a window, giving the impression that a replacement was lined up and then do noting and leave the squad weaker going into the final stretch of the season.

Why give a player who wants to leave the captaincy? Weird given Klopps quote "Sometimes a player just wants to sit out his contract. That’s not cool for the club, but there are moments in which you have to accept it".....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why give a player who wants to leave the captaincy? Weird given Klopps quote "Sometimes a player just wants to sit out his contract. That’s not cool for the club, but there are moments in which you have to accept it".....

They seem to think it will make the player want to stay, just like they did with Coutinho.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

NukaCola wrote:
    Can is a nice player to have in the squad.....can be really really good on his day, but as many have said he can be replaced.

Like Wijnaldum you don't know what you are going to get when they are played as neither are reliable or consistent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Look at replays for goals. How Can attempts to trip goal scorer twice for the first before he shot, how Moreno in build up to this is in no man's land. He thinks about tracking back, stops when we might win it, and then fails to get back when we don't win it. West Brom player shoots freely on goal, and we all know a shot on target is a goal when playing us. Mignolet might as well be a burning wheelie bin of dog sh it.

For second Can does same, lame attempts to trip the person going by him in midfield, then just stops playing and fails to track him,and Moreno again just allows player to walk in there and tap it home, no challenge whatsoever.

The 3rd goal VVD clears it with head, a simple header down to a Liverpool player is on, but heads it high and over them, a poor clearance to a West Brom player, he simply controls it while all the Liverpool players ball watch, and plays a simple ball over defence while the ball watchers look on. Moreno the clown that he is, is again out of position and is 20 ft from the player receiving ball who simply plays it across goal for a tap in. Matip allows ball to go pass him, tries a back heel clearance, why I have no idea.

It's comical stuff in all fairness.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

murpho999 wrote: »
    People debating whether a cup win or top 4 are missing the point and are examples of how expectations and standards have dropped amongst supporters.

A club like Liverpool, iif run correctly, should be comfortably achieving top 4 on a consistent basis, competing for league titles and picking up cups now and then.

There's no way I'd be happy just getting 4th place every season and not winning anything.

Also, replacing Coutihno and Can does not have to cost the earth. Can was not a £50m player when we bought him and I don't think he is now. Nor was Coutinho who cost £8m, go out and scout properly to find the next one or if you find one who's in his prime then spend the cash.
    The thing not to do is sell your best player early in a window, giving the impression that a replacement was lined up and then do noting and leave the squad weaker going into the final stretch of the season.

Coutinho was 8million when we bought him but he was also a fraction of the player he was when we sold him.

We need someone to come in and improve the team now, not someone we’ll get the best of in 3 years time before selling them on for profit.

To get that we need to spend.

• Advertisement

We need 4/5 ready made players right now if not a few more they will cost in this current market in and around the £50m price if not a lot more.

One Keeper

Two CM's

Two Forwards one to play across the three and one out and out striker.

Then we need a right back and probably one more CB but they aren't as much a priority as the above.

In Germany the captiancy means nothing really, Klopp just gives it to whoever is longest serving in the given starting 11. Presumably Hendo will have it as it he back.

Allison
    Meyer
    Keita (obviously)
    Volland, Marhez,

would do me.

In Germany the captiancy means nothing really, Klopp just gives it to whoever is longest serving in the given starting 11. Presumably Hendo will have it as it he back.

Well Mig should have been captain then last night?

He might think keepers should not have it though :)

He might think keepers should not have it though :)

Mig was made captain a few games ago being the longest serving player, thats what I dont get about it......nothing big obviously it was just a bit weird.

So Klopp is completely random in his choices, which does suggest he doesn't give a damn

Marco Grujic starts v City.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

awec wrote: »
    Coutinho was 8million when we bought him but he was also a fraction of the player he was when we sold him.

We need someone to come in and improve the team now, not someone we’ll get the best of in 3 years time before selling them on for profit.

To get that we need to spend.

Fraction of the player is a bit much now. We sold him for exactly what he was worth.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Blatantly stolen from Reddit but it's food for thought :

Liverpool has the 2nd Worst Average Save Percentage in the Premier League over the past four seasons, including this year

If you look at the last four seasons of data on the Objective Football site, Liverpool are second only to Bournemouth in terms of worst average save percentage in the Premier League. It’s basically a statistical tie too. Liverpool has also posted 3 of the worst 20 individual season save percentages over the past four seasons. Obviously this one isn’t complete yet, but we still have a decent amount of data.

Not too surprising and yet shocking all at the same time.

Worst Five: 1. Bournemouth 62.4% 2. Liverpool 62.6% 3. Aston Villa 63.7% 4. Newcastle 64.3% 5. Watford 65.1%

Best Five: 1. Man United 80.0% 2. Burnley 74.6% 3. Sunderland 72.4% 4. Chelsea 72.0% 5. Tottenham 71.5%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Leon Bailey got two today, the first being a cracker. I know a few people on here wanted Liverpool to sign him last January, especially considering we're meant to have that first option with Genk.

He's only 20 and is having a pretty decent season for Leverkusen. Consider he was signed in January last year for something like 12m, and we had Mane injured/at the African Cup of Nations, it's actually fairly infuriating.

Hard to justify another window of no action, especially with Coutinho gone, tbh.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Fraction of the player is a bit much now. We sold him for exactly what he was worth.
    Yea, that's not my point.

My point was when we signed him he was a very unfinished article which is why he only cost 8 million. The 2013 version of Coutinho is not what Liverpool need right now. We need a player who will come in and improve us straight away.

Ok, Liverpool pretty much never sign top level proven talent, but we should be aiming for somewhere in between the 20 year old player-in-the-making and the 80 million superstar.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

awec wrote: »
    Yea, that's not my point.

My point was when we signed him he was a very unfinished article which is why he only cost 8 million. The 2013 version of Coutinho is not what Liverpool need right now. We need a player who will come in and improve us straight away.

Ok, Liverpool pretty much never sign top level proven talent, but we should be aiming for somewhere in between the 20 year old player-in-the-making and the 80 million superstar.

Something like aquilana or markovic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

Milinković-Savić is who I'd be focussing on now if I was a team looking for a young centre mid, although could already be at 80 million superstar level.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,664 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Fieldog wrote: »
    Blatantly stolen from Reddit but it's food for thought :

Liverpool has the 2nd Worst Average Save Percentage in the Premier League over the past four seasons, including this year

If you look at the last four seasons of data on the Objective Football site, Liverpool are second only to Bournemouth in terms of worst average save percentage in the Premier League. It’s basically a statistical tie too. Liverpool has also posted 3 of the worst 20 individual season save percentages over the past four seasons. Obviously this one isn’t complete yet, but we still have a decent amount of data.

Not too surprising and yet shocking all at the same time.

Worst Five: 1. Bournemouth 62.4% 2. Liverpool 62.6% 3. Aston Villa 63.7% 4. Newcastle 64.3% 5. Watford 65.1%

Best Five: 1. Man United 80.0% 2. Burnley 74.6% 3. Sunderland 72.4% 4. Chelsea 72.0% 5. Tottenham 71.5%

Pretty sure we'll overtake them this year - we're 41% this year

(EDIT - forgot the Burnley game - that was 75% save rate!!)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

sword1 wrote: »
    Something like aquilana or markovic

giphy.gif

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Pretty sure we'll overtake them this year - we're 30% since Christmas

We should keep going to achieve number 1 spot in at least 1 alternative table this season.

• Advertisement

Ejaria scored the kind of goal we need against bus parkers in the under 23's today.

Updated Feb fixtures

Date Team TV
    4th Feb Spurs Sky Sports
    11th Feb Southampton (a) Sky Sports
    14th Feb FC Porto (POR) (a) BT Sports
    24th Feb West Ham

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Ejaria scored the kind of goal we need against bus parkers in the under 23's today.

Doesn't matter. He won't make it at Liverpool. I'm increasingly pessimistic that any of our youngsters will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

5starpool wrote: »
    Doesn't matter. He won't make it at Liverpool. I'm increasingly pessimistic that any of our youngsters will.

I feel the same about most of the seniors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

We need 4/5 ready made players right now if not a few more they will cost in this current market in and around the £50m price if not a lot more.

One Keeper

Two CM's

Two Forwards one to play across the three and one out and out striker.

Then we need a right back and probably one more CB but they aren't as much a priority as the above.
    Where's Clyne?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement