Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 779 ✭✭✭HONKEY TONK

In Germany the captiancy means nothing really,

Thats incorrect.

The captaincy in German teams has alot more influence in the club then in English clubs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,288 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

shamrock55 wrote: »
    The goal wasn't ruled out for offside,and in actual fact if you look at the clip migs right foot is in line with the west Bromwich players left foot which tells me there is nothing directly infront of migs when the ball is headed his way

The goal was ruled out for offside, the ref signaled for offside when he changed the decision

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Is it just me our where our fall backs awful on Sunday ,
    It's another huge summer , we need a keeper, right full, center half ,left full , Two new midfielders ( as well as Keita ) a winger and a Striker ,
    There is no way we are getting all of that this summer but its what we need,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

It's another huge summer , we need a keeper, right full, center half ,left full , Two new midfielders ( as well as Keita ) a winger and a Striker ,

No one covered themselves in glory on Saturday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

We said all this last summer and it's not gonna happen this summer either unfortunately,not unless fsg have fcuked off and have sold to someone who wants to win and is willing to spend to make it happen

• Advertisement

Moreno played at left full.... that's 50% of the full backs being awful explained. Robertson is far superior defensively to Moreno.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Lacazette now Arsenal's back up striker.

We really need Ings to stay fit because I do have faith he can be a very good option for us. It is a big risk though.

We said all this last summer and it's not gonna happen this summer either unfortunately,not unless fsg have fcuked off and have sold to someone who wants to win and is willing to spend to make it happen
    Surely if that was the case Jurgen wouldn't keep saying he has the money to spend if he wants to ?
    Hes a big name manger he wouldn't put up with that he could walk away and get a another huge job , I think if FSG where making him sell and not giving him cash to spend we'd be already hearing he is unhappy from the papers like we do with  Conte  ,
    I truly believe Jurgen is part of the issue with not replacing players, he seems to like to wait to get exactly who he wants, and wont just try to replace someone because he needs bodies ,

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

They just spend a world record fee on a defender and your saying FSG dont want to spend the money.......... Us liverpool fans are great craic :pac:

jonnycivic wrote: »
    They just spend a world record fee on a defender and your saying FSG dont want to spend the money.......... Us liverpool fans are great craic :pac:
    We sold Coutinho for nearly twice what we paid for VVD.

We have a negative net spend in the last few years too although wages would be up. FSG want to win I am sure but also want to make money too.
    They are not terrible owners but the selling of our best players is incredibly frustating.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

It's OK dude. Fwiw I completely agree with your post :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

I'd be more inclined to focus any blame on Klopp with regards transfers. I think he's being ridiculously stubborn

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,693 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

MD1990 wrote: »
    We sold Coutinho for nearly twice what we paid for VVD.

We have a negative net spend in the last few years too although wages would be up. FSG want to win I am sure but also want to make money too.
    They are not terrible owners but the selling of our best players is incredibly frustating.

Yes but we bought in VVD before Cout went and we tried to hold on to him from all accounts but he wanted out so best he left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

MD1990 wrote: »

Salah probably be sold within 2 years too. It's what FSG do with our best players.

You're being obtuse if you think we have any choice in the matter.

Again, people are attributing a bad thing happening for which nobody is at fault or a decision by Klopp as something FSG had a hand in.

It sounds very much like Klopp would've been happy to let Coutinho go in the summer.
    As with Suarez FSG have shown a willingness to dig our heels in.
    Either way it doesn't really matter though. There's only so much you can do. If a player is wanted and wants to go, you can delay them, but you can't make them stay forever.
    If Salah agitates for a move in summer 2019 there's **** all we can do about it, really. It doesn't matter who the manager is, it doesn't matter what we've won, it doesn't matter who owns the club. If Real or Barca come calling, the best we can do is hold on another 12 months.

At the height of their power Utd had Ronaldo poached. Arsenal have repeatedly lost players. Chelsea and City and Utd today are somewhat more shielded because they can throw any amount of money at players, but the cachet of playing with Barca or Real will still be enough to prise more players away in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Augeo wrote: »
    James Pearce seems to be taking this result badly.... https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-verdict-shambolic-reds-still-14212224.amp

I'm surprised he's focusing on transfer activity or the lack of it ..... articles like that do no one any good.

Im delighted hes focusing on a lack of transfer activity....we sold our most gifted player, and replaced him with nothing.....in the middle of a season where the Top 4 race is as tight as its ever been. If Arsenal win 4 or 5 in a row, they are back in it as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭klose

Aubameyang off to arsenal who've strengthened considerably this window while we have weakened ourselves, haven't been this frustrated with the club in ages it's almost like klopp likes to challenge himself and take the hard route in management.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

the club is still had this fork in the road, and they have to make a choice. that includes FSG as well as Klopp.

we can be Arsenal. we can win the odd trophy, being run quite well and prudently enough. but we can be also-rans at the end of the day. there would always be half a chance we can go on a run and challenge for a League, but the likelihood is not. we can lose our standout players every few years as a result, and hope we can unearth the odd new one who would give us hope again, but at the end of the day, we don't have enough.

or they can get together and aggressively address the deficiencies that are obviously in the squad. Utd and City are not going to slow their spending.

so we have to decide if we're going to try or not. if we don't do anything else in January, then sorry, we're not really trying.

SlickRic wrote: »
    the club is still had this fork in the road, and they have to make a choice. that includes FSG as well as Klopp.

we can be Arsenal.  we can win the odd trophy, being run quite well and prudently enough.  but we can be also-rans at the end of the day.  there would always be half a chance we can go on a run and challenge for a League, but the likelihood is not.  we can lose our standout players every few years as a result, and hope we can unearth the odd new one who would give us hope again, but at the end of the day, we don't have enough.

or they can get together and aggressively address the deficiencies that are obviously in the squad.  Utd and City are not going to slow their spending.  

so we have to decide if we're going to try or not.  if we don't do anything else in January, then sorry, we're not really trying.
    I think its pretty obvious at this stage ,,FSG are making us profitable as possible but in my opinion its to sell us and get as much as possible out of a deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,289 ✭✭✭✭rob316

I was there Saturday and it was every bit as bad as on telly. Midfield offered nothing, and I mean nothing. Can wants to go in the summer off with him, hes nothing special and ive been consistent with that view.
    We created nothing and West Brom scored from pretty much every shot on target.
    Mane woeful, Salah had nothing to work off, Firmino with a great finish and kept busy throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Can turns up for 1 in 5. To be fair, usually for the big games, but more often than not he's a liability in midfield and the Man City result blinded a lot of people here regards his performances. The team is screaming out for a Mascherano type player - game intelligence and ability to read a game and do the basics in breaking it up/ cover defence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Yes but we bought in VVD before Cout went and we tried to hold on to him from all accounts but he wanted out so best he left.

I really think you're believing the party line.
    So why did we hold onto him in the summer then?
    Why not adopt the same line?

Why sell him with a whole transfer window ahead and not replace him?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

how anyone can put a positive spin on this transfer window is beyond all sanity and rationality.

really feel this window could be seen as the moment where things went wrong for klopp.

great to see that many on here are starting to wake up and see what FSG are really all about and thats max profit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,181 ✭✭✭Sappy404

I find it hard to believe the decision to not spend the Coutinho money is being made by anyone other than the manager. Even if we spent the summer's VVD money on AOC and the £75m came out of the windfall we got for Coutinho, we're still in the black by a considerable amount.

The fact that we tried to negotiate an earlier Keita arrival speaks to the fact that money is available. We've reportedly spoken to clubs about Sturridge. We've loaned out Grujic. Can will likely need to be replaced. The writing has been on the wall for years about the goalkeeper situation. None of these decisions were made in haste - a list of targets exists. The most likely explanation is that we've tried to get them this month and a deal couldn't be done so instead of moving down the list, Klopp has decided to wait til the summer when he's more likely to be able to get whom he wants.

Midfield is a huge worry , it was pretty bad before Cou left now its awful
    For the rest of the season we are stuck with Can, OX, Gini and Milner ,  then Henderson and Lallana are crocks so can't trust them ,
    When the champions league starts back its not enough to play 3 times a week ,After the second Porto game we have United away on the Saturday, our already poor midfield will be in a heap

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,404 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Saturday was bitterly disappointing. We have to start thinking that we can win competitions like that. A struggling league team at home is a good draw - I expected us to advance.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

And now we are letting Sturridge go out on loan to Newcastle.
    I just don't get it. Letting players go left right and centre and not replacing with players for the starting 11.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

Since the big TV money has started, i believe we have taken in more in transfer fees than we have spent....if we havent its damn close. I dont have the time to dig out all the figures.

We flirted with the idea of signing both VVD and Lemar in the summer, in the end got neither.....Had we got VVD Im not convinced we would have been even linked with Lemar.

Maybe Im being a pessimist, but Im not convinced FSG are willing to spend the cash taht needs to be spent. Since last summer, we all knew we needed at least 1GK, 2 CBs, and a DM......We have only signed one of these....maybe its Klopp, maybe its FSG, both together, they have to get the finger out

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Saturday was bitterly disappointing. We have to start thinking that we can win competitions like that. A struggling league team at home is a good draw - I expected us to advance.
    I wouldn't have minded Saturday if we have had rested players as I still think top Four and Champions league have to be our main targets but we basically played a full team and lost that has to be a worry ,
    Jurgen has a big choice to make before Wednesday and it could cost him his job ,
    If we make top 4 all will be forgotten but if we fail to make top four the media and fans will be all over him ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Feck it. Sign Giroud.

• Advertisement

Knex. wrote: »
    Feck it. Sign Giroud.
    We could do a lost worse ,

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

any links to the presser?

I love Klopp, but I wish I had as much faith in him as he does himself. Not signing any players, considering out position and the activity of the clubs around us, seems... mad.

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    And now we are letting Sturridge go out on loan to Newcastle.
    I just don't get it. Letting players go left right and centre and not replacing with players for the starting 11.

It is to get him off the wage bill.

FSG ultimate aim is to make money not win trophies.

Still they did save us in 2010 & I think they are decent owners but with the tv money etc the spending 75m on VVD isn't as big as it looks on paper.
    They also wanted to raise ticket prices.

Of course Klopp deserves some blame being so stubborn after what happened last january.

Lets just hope it works & the last 2 games were a blip.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

MD1990 wrote:
    It is to get him off the wage bill.

He's 18 months left so it may be our last chance to get something significant for him unless he performs well which is touch & go now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

What I take from this quote is the players Klopp wants aren't available now and as we know he won't sign players for the sake of it if he can get the players he wants in another window.
    Klopp: "In the long term we will do a lot (of transfers). In the short term I dont think we will do a lot"
    https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/957962418621214721

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

One could write an article and spin it in such a way to make it look like FSG have not spent 1 dollar since they took over . If you look at the extra commercial revenue, the money we've taken in on transfers, the TV money, the extra match day money you could make it look like they've not spent 1 dollar.
    Of course you could spin those numbers another way and make it look like they've invested millions.
    The truth is a blend of the two maybe. We seem to be well in the black every transfer window, and we seem to be always taking in more revenue through TV deal and commercial activity so on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,360 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you can't ALWAYS think long term.

arguably the most long term manager ever, Sir Alex Ferguson, who was obsessed, especially in his early career at Old Trafford, with youth, still bought surefire would class players when it was needed.

In no particular order...

RVP.
    Rio Ferdinand.
    Wayne Rooney.
    Van Der Sar.
    Cantona.

They're just a few (of varying ages). There are many more I'm sure.

It's ok to have long term targets, and it's ok to wait for certain players. But if you do it the vast majority of the time, you're behind the 8-ball almost all of the time, because City and Utd (to name a couple) are buying too efficiently and in too much quantity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The first mistake was actually selling our best player mid-season. The second is seemingly having no real immediate plan to replace him. That just compounded the situation.

It's just a massive gamble that no club that are hovering around 3rd/4th position and still in the Champions League should be taking.

We won't know the full impact until the Summer of course but my gut feeling is we will be back playing Europa League football next season because of it.

We might get away with it but otherwise it's just wilful self-sabotage.

If salah doesn't maintain his frankly outrageously unbelievable scoring habit we could be in right trouble for the reminder of the season.

What's worrying is that we might be in trouble even if he does maintain it :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭Pepp1989

It wasn't a secret that Coutinho wanted to leave. Where was the planning for the eventuality that they couldn't convince him to stay and lost him in January? They had plenty of notice how likely a possibility it was.

It's just so basic. Stinks of amateur hour.

Wake up fella,it's the coutinho money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

From the outside I don't understand klopp waiting on one specific player surely the way to do it is have a profile of the player you want and have 3 or four of them type of players.

Yes he got vvd eventually and he will get keita in the summer but it's another season wasted opportunity to forward the club on while been stubborn over transfers.

The Liverpool starting 11 are up there in the top four teams in the league but outside of outside of that the options are poor with no options to change the gane up.

surely he has to add to that you can succeed with less the 15 quality players even looking at giroud with arsenal wouldn't a player like that benefit Liverpool instead of having to put a defender upfront to try grab a goal have a big man available that's used to scoring goals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Selling Coutinho in the first place was mental. Maybe he threatened to down tools I don't know but my feeling is he would have sulked for a couple of weeks and then come round and gone back to his normal level of performance for the rest of the season. Knowing that he'd get the move in the Summer. We'll probably never know though.

I just don't know how we've somehow managed to leave January a weaker side that when we entered it. That is just inexplicable.

Wether it's fsg or klopp not wanting to strengthen in Jan someone's made a big boo boo,why didn't we spend in the summer if we had no intention of doing it in Jan,anyone who is now pinning their hopes on a big summer spend is living in cloud cookoo land because I can guarantee it won't happen,then next Jan Salah,firmino,and mane will be off and who'd blame them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

We are in trouble.

GK: Karius and Mignolet are both **** and neither have confidence as a result of constant chopping and changing.

CB. Lovren is still ****. Matip has not lived up to his promise, his concentration is not great and his temperment has proved suspect. I really wanted him to do well. Van Dijk will be good at least.

WB's. Leave defence exposed pushing up to much. This is further compounded by not having a proper siting midfielder. Hopefully Keita can help there, but not till next summer.

CM. Hendo is a good player but has persistent injury trouble. Can has proved to not be up to it and isnt showing the right commitment. Wijanldum is to hot and cold and is essentially a water carrier, being effective neither in Defence or Attack. Milner is poor in CM.

AM. Is it just Lallana now? He needs to find form. What happened to Woodburn? Ox is ok but should be a replacement WF for Mane or Salah.

WF. Mane has not been the same since Salah took his spot. He needs to play RWF. This is a conundrum.

CF. Too reliant on Firmino. Sturridge seems to have decided he is leaving. That leaves Ings and Solanke, thats not ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

We need clever players in midfield, can't rely on Can Henderson Milner and Wij ,all four can play that sitter in from of back 4. We need two creative player in there, Firmino and Salah are more than capable of playing in there.

Clyne_Matip_VVD_Robertson

_______Milner____________

__Salah______Firmino______

?__________?_________Mane

Selling Coutinho in the first place was mental. Maybe he threatened to down tools I don't know but my feeling is he would have sulked for a couple of weeks and then come round and gone back to his normal level of performance for the rest of the season. Knowing that he'd get the move in the Summer. We'll probably never know though.

I think Klopp eas clear enough in postulating that he was beginning to be a problem in terms of affecting squad morale. He wanted out and was dragging down the squad in his attitude. To be fair, he hadnt cracked a smile in months, even when scoring. Miserable little shıt.

We need clever players in midfield, can't rely on Can Henderson Milner and Wij ,all four can play that sitter in from of back 4. We need two creative player in there, Firmino and Salah are more than capable of playing in there.

Clyne_Matip_VVD_Robertson

_______Milner____________

__Salah______Firmino______

?__________?_________Mane

Fook me

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement