Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

If the Goretzka rumours are true, he'll turn out a better signing in this transfer window than VVD.

(price v free transfer v Hendo chat aside)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

From what I've read, Goretzka is a similar player to Keita. Not sure either will play as the deep lying midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,940 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

gafferino wrote: »
    Why would you hope a brand new signing is made captain?

it would have a bad effect on the rest of the squad imo.

As I don't think Henderson is good enough to be captain simple as that really.

Hyypia was brought in and made captain pretty much straight away and that had a great effect on the team for the next couple of seasons.

It could be just what the squad needs.

Henderson is the worst captain the club has ever had.

Surprising people even debate that. But not surprising at the same time 😀

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

If he is to get it it won’t happen until next season at the earliest and will take some serious performances/leadership.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

From what I've read, Goretzka is a similar player to Keita. Not sure either will play as the deep lying midfielder.

Not exactly, Goretzka can play anywhere in the midfield, be it at 6, 8 or 10. His defensive qualities are arguably as good as his offensive qualities and his athleticism is outstanding in most areas, he’s one of the quickest midfielders in the world at the moment and doesn’t easily tire like Can. If we sign him, I think he’s going to be our deepest lying midfielder when everyone is fit and available. I’m incredibly excited at the prospect of him, Keita and Lallana as our midfield three next season, I really hope we can get this deal over the line.

martyos121 wrote: »
    Not exactly, Goretzka can play anywhere in the midfield, be it at 6, 8 or 10. His defensive qualities are arguably as good as his offensive qualities and his athleticism is outstanding in most areas, he’s one of the quickest midfielders in the world at the moment and doesn’t easily tire like Can. If we sign him, I think he’s going to be our deepest lying midfielder when everyone is fit and available. I’m incredibly excited at the prospect of him, Keita and Lallana as our midfield three next season, I really hope we can get this deal over the line.

Lallana. Lolz

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

I checked squawka and Mignolet has had 2 errors leading to a goal, same as Lloris. He has been better under Klopp and has improved.

That said, I agree 100%, a better keeper and our entire defence improves as a result. His distribution is pretty ordinary also and given the pace we have on the break, this is a waste.

My point was I don't think Mignolet is so bad we will miss out on the top 4 as a result, but he doesn't help. If we have any intention of winning trophies, then a new keeper is a must. Just don't think there is one available this window.

I'm not sure how that website measures "errors" but we've all been watching Mignolet for five full years - he's awful. His distribution is terrible, he never looks confident coming for crosses and he's not a good shot stopper.

Mignolet-Saves-Table-885x915.jpg

Mignolet-Saves-Table-2.jpg

Well that makes for grim reading.

Well that makes for grim reading.

Essentially, if you get a shot on target against us it has 50% chance of going in - madness!

Good article: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/12/key-stat-highlights-liverpools-big-problem-simon-mignolet/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Turtyturd wrote: »
    300 grand with us paying 285 is about the only way an Italian team would manage it.

I thought a player signing on for free gets a good contract as club paid zero for him, so he can demand high wages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,399 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I thought a player signing on for free gets a good contract as club paid zero for him, so he can demand high wages.

High wages yes... Crazy wages no.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I'd say Can will be making between 100-150k a wk at Juve, decent value when he's on his "A" game, not so much with the form he's showed for large parts of this season.

Slattsy wrote: »
    Lallana. Lolz

You must have the memory of a goldfish if you think he isn’t a guaranteed starter for us when fit.

You must have the memory of a goldfish if you think he isn’t a guaranteed starter for us when fit.

Lallana was excellent last season but I don't think he's a guaranteed starter. He'll need to earn that.

Outside Matip, Salah, Coutinho and the main man I wouldn’t consider any players guaranteed starters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

hey lads just a quick one,
    Got tickets for the Spurs game just wondering would I make the flight back to Dublin on the Sunday night at half 7 ? Not sure what flights to book , could fly over Sunday home Monday

I definitely wouldn't chance it if it was me. It's too tight. Isn't it a 4.30pm kickoff, so the match ends at 6.20 and your flight leaves at 7.30 ?

Ah no screw that, it would actually ruin your enjoyment of the game and everything. You'll end up leaving early just to give you a fighting chance of making the flight

If you can get a Monday morning flight home then you can relax, enjoy the game and have some food/pints afterwards.

It's a no brainer imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Tusky wrote: »
    Essentially, if you get a shot on target against us it has 50% chance of going in - madness!

Good article: https://www.thisisanfield.com/2017/12/key-stat-highlights-liverpools-big-problem-simon-mignolet/

That's a f*cking ridiculous stat. Get rid. Not just from the first team but from the squad.

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Lallana was excellent last season but I don't think he's a guaranteed starter. He'll need to earn that.

Who’s better than him in our midfield positions when all are fully match fit though? Don’t tell me Can, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Ox all are. Two of them are having a bad season, another is not as good as he was last year but still okay and the other is looking good but hasn’t performed in a big match yet. If Lallana is still the same player after his injury (and I’m fairly sure he will be once he returns to full fitness, it takes a few weeks after a long layoff), I’ll be very surprised if he isn’t the one turning in the best performances out of all mentioned above.

You’re right in that he has to earn it, but what I’m trying to say is that if plays to even somewhat close to the best of his ability, he’s the first midfielder on the team sheet all day long, and would still be in the starting three when Keita joins and if Goretzka signs too. The injury seems to be making some forget the amount of work he does and the quality of his pressing, before you even go into his quality on the ball.

• Advertisement

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Outside Matip, Salah, Coutinho and the main man I wouldn’t consider any players guaranteed starters.

Agreed. And that's a problem for us. None of the central midfielders in particular have really made that role their own. Lallana of last season would walk into this team. Mane of last season would also be a guaranteed starter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Henderson is the worst captain the club has ever had.

Surprising people even debate that. But not surprising at the same time ��

Worse than Paul Ince? Eh, no.

mosstin wrote: »
    Worse than Paul Ince? Eh, no.

Ease off the Pepsi.

I think you need to go to bed son. School back soon, get back into that habit.

Up the Dubs.

Who’s better than him in our midfield positions when all are fully match fit though? Don’t tell me Can, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Ox all are. Two of them are having a bad season, another is not as good as he was last year but still okay and the other is looking good but hasn’t performed in a big match yet. If Lallana is still the same player after his injury (and I’m fairly sure he will be once he returns to full fitness, it takes a few weeks after a long layoff), I’ll be very surprised if he isn’t the one turning in the best performances out of all mentioned above.

You’re right in that he has to earn it, but what I’m trying to say is that if plays to even somewhat close to the best of his ability, he’s the first midfielder on the team sheet all day long, and would still be in the starting three when Keita joins and if Goretzka signs too. The injury seems to be making some forget the amount of work he does and the quality of his pressing, before you even go into his quality on the ball.

Ok, so lets assume Salah, Firmino, and Coutinho all start. They should imo.

Lallana will be competing with Mane the last attacking spot. Up for grabs atm, as Mane isn't on form.

Can, Wijnaldum, Henderson and Ox are all CM. He's not competing for a CM spot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,594 ✭✭✭brevity

Lallana is a great option to have off the bench and that's what I think he will be once Klopp has his preferred midfield in place.

Lallana will be competing with Manor the last attacking spot. Up for grabs atm, as Mansn't on form.

That's where I'd see him playing, it's where he did played his best for us. Part of the midfield 3. Actually, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana was our best pairing last season.

• Advertisement

That's where I'd see him playing, it's where he did played his best for us. Part of the midfield 3. Actually, Henderson, Wijnaldum and Lallana was our best pairing last season.

He was the attacking part of the trio though wasn't he? He's hardly your average CM!

Who would you drop for him?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Lallana will be competing with Mane the last attacking spot. Up for grabs atm, as Mane isn't on form.

He would be though as thats where he was playing last season

Lallana will be competing with Manor the last attacking spot. Up for grabs atm, as Mansn't on form.

We’ve signed Keita and we might sign Goretzka. If we do sign him, that’s a player who walks straight into the number 6 role (he can player the others too but that’s our weakest midfield position so I think we’d need him there). With Keita as our 8, Lallana is the obvious choice for the final spot, regardless of who’s in the front three. Lallana can’t play as a defensive midfielder but he’s well able to defend for a midfielder, just in a more advanced position.

I was never talking about this season like you seem to think I am, my original argument was about our starting midfield next season if we signed Leon Goretzka. And based on that, Coutinho is likely to be gone next year so that changes our attacking options completely as we’re very unlikely to bring in a player as good as him who can play both as a winger and as an attacking midfielder. Lemar is the only target who can do that and that’s a very difficult deal to pull off.

He was the attacking part of the trio though wasn't he? He's hardly your average CM!

Who would you drop for him?

He played in front of Henderson with Wijnaldum if I remember correctly. As it stands, I'd like to see that midfield again with 3 of the fab 4 in the forward 3 positions. When Keita comes in then I would fear for Wijnaldum and to a lesser extent Lallana. But there will probably be plenty of rotation in those positions.

Was never a big fan of Lallana but I thought he was brilliant last season in the midefield 3.

We’ve signed Keita and we might sign Goretzka. If we do sign him, that’s a player who walks straight into the number 6 role (he can player the others too but that’s our weakest midfield position so I think we’d need him there). With Keita as our 8, Lallana is the obvious choice for the final spot, regardless of who’s in the front three. Lallana can’t play as a defensive midfielder but he’s well able to defend for a midfielder, just in a more advanced position.

I was never talking about this season like you seem to think I am, my original argument was about our starting midfield next season if we signed Leon Goretzka. And based on that, Coutinho is likely to be gone next year so that changes our attacking options completely as we’re very unlikely to bring in a player as good as him who can play both as a winger and as an attacking midfielder. Lemar is the only target who can do that and that’s a very difficult deal to pull off.

Ah my bad, sorry.

Yeah, take Coutinho out of the equation, and Lallana certainly gets in with the current squad the way it is.

• Advertisement

Ah my bad, sorry.

Yeah, take Coutinho out of the equation, and Lallana certainly gets in with the current squad the way it is.

If we do talk about this season to be fair, Coutinho probably is the right option when Mane plays. I still think Lallana at full fitness gives him a run for his money because of the ridiculous pressure he puts on and his ball winning ability. I like Phil a lot at left wing, he’s got all the qualities necessary to play in a midfield three for sure but until Mane finds form again, we need him a bit further forward if we can get away with it. I love the job Ox is doing right now too, it means we can get away with Mane and Lallana not being at their best at the minute because we have versatility in the squad to fill in.

It’s a good problem to have imo.

People go on about it being a squad game and Klopp has started to build a squad to compete on all fronts and keep opposition managers guessing about our line up.

I could easily see a scenario where against bus parkers like United, Everton, Burnley etc we line up with;

—— Can ——

—Lallana —Coutinho

— Mo — Main Man — Mane

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

How good is this Goretzka chap?

Looking at his stats and his Youtube video it would seem to be a signing to get excited about.

Seems to be a very powerful and strong runner, so a bit like Can, but with much better vision and execution of passing. Reminds me a little bit of Dembele at Spurs, this mixture of raw driving power and strength, but also great skill making it very hard to stop his runs.

Looks a bit like maybe if you moulded the best parts of Hendo's and Can's games together.

Would be some serious energy and a lot of forward dribbling in the middle of the park if he and Keita were to line up together.

Would be interested to know who is considered the better prospect in Germany between Can and him, as they seem to have some similarities and are close in age.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The fact that we're in the conversation for Goretzka, alongside the likes of Barca, and its somewhat plausible, is a massive sign of where this team is headed and how it is once again perceived as being a viable competitor for silverware.

Its been a long, long time since that last happened. A decade nearly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ease off the Pepsi.

I think you need to go to bed son. School back soon, get back into that habit.

Up the Dubs.

Right. You don't remember Ince as captain. Or even playing for us.

Fair enough. You should have said.

mosstin wrote: »
    Right. You don't remember Ince as captain. Or even playing for us.

Fair enough. You should have said.

That's what I suspected too but didn't want to say !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Rumours sturridge has handed in a transfer request

ricero wrote: »

That wouldn't be a bad thing for all concerned. We might actually sell him rather than loan him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,940 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

:)

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

He should move on, it's best for all concerned. I hope he does well elsewhere but without ever scoring against us obviously.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Apparently this means something

https://www.instagram.com/p/BYJaSd9DNnE/

We need someone with a 4k screen to decipher who's playing in that game!

Looks primed for photoshop!

Craig Bellamy wishes him well.

Nothing about it on Reddit yet.

Actually is that a pic of the kop?

We need someone with a 4k screen to decipher who's playing in that game!

Our CL qualifier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

He sure needs a transfer, no joke watching TV by a standard lamp when it rains.

Actually is that a pic of the kop?

Pretty sure it’s a telly but don’t quote me on that.

Did he escape from that ordeal unharmed? No paper cuts or torn elbow tendons?

• Advertisement

5starpool wrote: »
    He should move on, it's best for all concerned. I hope he does well elsewhere but without ever scoring against us obviously.

If he manages a game against us he’ll inevitably get his goal. What a day that’ll be on here.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement