Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

Vicxas wrote: »
    Mahrez will be 90 Million if we went knocking 2 days before the transfer window closes.

I think i'd pay it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

daheff wrote: »
    I think i'd pay it!

Send the club a cheque so and tell them this one is on you. Cheers for that by the way!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Klopp tried to get Gotze before buying Mane so I don't think that's true

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,908 ✭✭✭daheff

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Send the club a cheque so and tell them this one is on you. Cheers for that by the way!!

no worries.....so long as they like rubber cheques :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

daheff wrote: »
    Arsenal gaine Mihkitaryan and Aubemeyang and lost Walcott & Sanchez. IMO thats slightly worse off than before. But at least they have replaced departed players.

Ok..maybe long term targets are not available this window....but can we not sign some loan deals to give the squad a little depth? Maybe one of them might fire under Klopp?

There has to be a few loan options from the likes of PSG for example

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I'm very annoyed with this. I may tweet John W Henry about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It genuinely feels like sometimes Klopp will do what the opposite of what people want in terms of the sensible, logical response to problems. We are still 4th, so he's doing something right, but some of the decisions, or lack of can be hard to understand. I think a loan option is a very good call.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Is Aubamaerang across the line yet, I'd love to see a bit of gazumping.

Klopp will never sign him as he knows the baggage/sh1t he takes with him. His father a former profi and scout for AC Milan is the problem for most clubs.....all about lining Daddy and brothers pockets with high agent fees and then high wages for the rest of the family. Family hanging around the training ground and if a player is on more they/Auba is kicking up......

Think he aint the kind of personality Klopp wants in the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    Is Aubamaerang across the line yet, I'd love to see a bit of gazumping.

I'll gazump your face Boom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    It just feels like this is the time to push, to invest, to bring in the player who may prove luxurious just incase.

The mad thing is that there's not really anything to lose by doing so.

We're not in a position to worry about onerous contracts bleeding the club dry, an overabundance of unsalable rubbish making the squad bloated and unwieldy and there's clear options around, like Mahrez, who are safe enough bets that they won't damage us significantly even if they're total flops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,384 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If you told me in mid December that we would get rid of Coutinho and Sturridge in January and not bother to replace them with anyone, I would have thought you were off your head. Even Liverpool are not daft would have been my reasoning.

Two bad results already. A few more and the atmosphere around the place could really begin to turn sour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Vicxas wrote: »
    MD1990 wrote: »
    Van Dijk in was great.

Finally strengthening at the back.

Van Dijk is a great signing, but he cant stop the mental lapses his peers seem to have, with Moreno playing saturday night he was woefully exposed and Matip can only cover so much ground.

I have no idea what more we can do aside from a new RB, a new CB and a defensive MF.
    Dropping Moreno would be a good start for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,105 ✭✭✭mada999

feck this loan business... if we are letting him go it should be a full transfer imo..

letting Coutinho and Strurridge go and relying on Bobby, Ings and Solanke is borderline gross negligence imo... if/when Bobby gets an injury we are royally in trouble...

it is imperative that we secure a champions league spot again this year... cant see it happening without signing at least one attacking replacement before the window shuts .....

brevity wrote: »
    The club should be able to compete for fourth, the cups and CL. If the club doesn't have the players then buy some more.

agreed 1000%

Pepp1989 wrote: »
    Does Origi have a recall clause? Surely be to God he is a better option to have than ings and solanke. Origi has scored a few for us.

I believe he does but he's chronic as well imo.. marginally better than Ings and Solanke...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Maybe he doesn't want to flt Ryanair to Italy, I wouldn't blame him.

Not least because they've recently changed their baggage restrictions and, god knows, Danny brings a lot of baggage with him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We sold Coutinho for nearly twice what we paid for VVD.

We have a negative net spend in the last few years too although wages would be up. FSG want to win I am sure but also want to make money too.
    They are not terrible owners but the selling of our best players is incredibly frustating.
    shamrock55 wrote: »
    Wake up fella,it's the coutinho money

Ok, let's just suppose for a moment that you're right. That FSG are limiting Klopp to just 75 million of Coutinho's money (which I don't believe for a second), and that Klopp without restrictions would be strengthening us further. Would it not have made more sense for Klopp to not blow all of that money on one defender? If he felt other areas needed attention to challenge for top 4? Even in this market 75m gets you at least two good players.

Far more likely that this is Klopp's decision. That he can spend if he chooses to, but chooses not to right now in favour of someone else in the summer.. I disagree with him, but it's his repsonsibility, not the owners.

Also, with this owners just wanting money business... they're not getting any of this money, y'know? Like, when Liverpool sell Coutinho, the money doesn't go into their bank account to be spent on private jets and parties. It goes into Liverpool's account. And FSG have not once taken a single penny out of the club. Nothing. Not even the dividends they're fully entitled to take. Every penny the club has earned under their stewardship has stayed in the club.

FSG ultimate aim is to make money not win trophies.
    I daresay it's both. Even just being pragmatic, the imagery of a trophy held aloft is more powerful advertising than a thousand campaigns.

I've just yet to see anything from FSG that actually, logically, points to anything other than supporting Klopp completely. For better or worse, this is his bed, and he has to lie in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Ok, let's just suppose for a moment that you're right. That FSG are limiting Klopp to just 75 million of Coutinho's money (which I don't believe for a second), and that Klopp without restrictions would be strengthening us further. Would it not have made more sense for Klopp to not blow all of that money on one defender? If he felt other areas needed attention to challenge for top 4? Even in this market 75m gets you at least two good players.
    [...]

I've just yet to see anything from FSG that actually, logically, points to anything other than supporting Klopp completely. For better or worse, this is his bed, and he has to lie in it.

I'm not sure are we seeing prejudice against billionaires, against yanks or generally against corporate culture, or is it more a case of simply not wanting to see anything Klopp does in a negative light, but some people are clearly pushing blame onto a target they feel more comfortable attacking.

There isn't a shred of evidence to suggest FSG are giving Klopp anything other than total support and the full backing of the all the club's available finances.

It's possible that Klopp is moving too slowly and we'll never catch up because of losing key players as fast as we're replacing them, but I think I can say for myself and most people who think Klopp is the one making these decisions, that by and large there's still a great deal of trust that he'll get it right, or at least come as close as anyone can when competition is this fierce.

That doesn't mean he's incapable of making mistakes though.

There was criticism for Benitez for being too willing to compromise in the kinds of targets he signed but the steady building of squad strength for 4 years off the back of it showed that it had advantages. Klopp is attacking the problem from the opposite direction.

Benitez' hands were tied more tightly from a financial point of view, although Liverpool was a more attractive club at the time given the relative lack of competetion in the league and his own successes in Europe, but nevertheless, I think both approaches leave something to be desired. We need a middle ground.

With hindsight I think it was the right decision to wait for Van Dijk. Perhaps Benitez would've gritted his teeth and went for his 2nd choice.
    However, that doesn't mean you're always better off going that way. It may well have been better to sell Coutinho in the summer and sort out Lemar even if we ended up £50m worse off and it might prove to have been imperative to sign a player of quality now to maintain the quality of the squad in the run in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

mosstin wrote: »
    Not least because they've recently changed their baggage restrictions and, god knows, Danny brings a lot of baggage with him.

There's a joke in there with priority passenger too but I'll be damned if I can get it out.
    Something to do with not being a Klopp priority and yada yada yada also being a passenger again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Aubamayang for 60M is a no brainer IMO......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭passatman86

Has it been confirmed what kitty the keita money is coming from

NukaCola wrote: »
    Aubamayang for 60M is a no brainer IMO......

It is actually - he is high maintenance, doesn't work as hard as Klopp would like and at 29 is beyond re-invention plus from a purely business point of view is also too old for any likely sell on (yes yes I know Liverpool have loads of money but sell on value still matters in the scheme of things).

It is actually - he is high maintenance, doesn't work as hard as Klopp would like and at 29 is beyond re-invention plus from a purely business point of view is also too old for any likely sell on (yes yes I know Liverpool have loads of money but sell on value still matters in the scheme of things).

Klopp knows him better than anyone, but the lad can score goals, 100 goals in 2 and a half seasons.....I would also have thought he'd know Klopps system and works well in it? I'm assuming a lot of course..

He only really caught fire under Tuchel, having been moved from the right flank under Klopp.

No sure why he is being mentioned the deal is done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

NukaCola wrote: »
    Klopp knows him better than anyone, but the lad can score goals, 100 goals in 2 and a half seasons.....I would also have thought he'd know Klopps system and works well in it? I'm assuming a lot of course..

Ever think he doesnt want to work with Klopp again, someone he didnt perform to his full potential for. His Daddy knows Klopps 2 best mates....Watzke and Zorc at BVB who he has been trying to screw over for the last year and a half.;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

daithijjj wrote: »
    Baffles me that we would send 2 strikers on loan in the same season while the back up has either never scored for the club or hasn't scored for 2 and a half years.

Bonkers decision making without cast iron incoming.

Still this.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Turning down Inter for West Brom is a strange one.

Typical of the English mindset in general of being afraid to go abroad to play football. Specifically, it shows Sturridge to be absolutely weak minded, but we knew that anyway.

He couldn't even do the decent thing by going to Inter to lighten our financial burden of him after he had basically stole a living from us the last couple of years.

I'm going to start quoting myself in the future.

mosstin wrote: »
    I'm going to start quoting myself in the future.

Just to see what it feels like.

Klopp thinks he can get top 4 with the squad, but the thing that has always annoyed me is we really do need to strengthen the squad with every opportunity. We will nearly always be playing catch up with our squad as the really good players will start to leave before Klopp builds his squad. Coutinho gone, no attempt to replace or bring in players into a squad that needs more than a few improvements. We should be looking at players that will not only help now but will be bedded in for next season.

That does not seem to be the strategy so why leave Coutinho go then? Honestly it makes no sense. If he went on strike then fine, we cant use him anyway or the money we got for him.

• Advertisement

daithijjj wrote: »
    Still this.

If we can recall Origi I hope we do it. Much better than the alternative.

No disrespect to Solanke or Ings as one is a young lad and the other has had a tough time of injuries but they are awful replacements for Mane/Firmino/Salah. The drop in quality there is almost amazing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,466 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

48B5DD4600000578-0-Philippe_Coutinho_returned_to_Liverpool_s_Melwood_training_groun-a-4_1517252958964.jpg

Yay, Coutinho has returned. Problem solved .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

They look like two lads who have been on a gap year a bit too long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

48B5DD4600000578-0-Philippe_Coutinho_returned_to_Liverpool_s_Melwood_training_groun-a-4_1517252958964.jpg

Lallana looks like McGregor's drunken uncle or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,636 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

jbt123 wrote: »
    Typical of the English mindset in general of being afraid to go abroad to play football. Specifically, it shows Sturridge to be absolutely weak minded, but we knew that anyway.

He couldn't even do the decent thing by going to Inter to lighten our financial burden of him after he had basically stole a living from us the last couple of years.
    Have to say I agree with most of this. I dunno about stealing a living but certainly weak minded alright. A huge talent, but ultimately not a lot to show for it (apart from a large bank balance). Has had chances at City, Chelsea, and Liverpool and a chance at a short term move to (an albeit slightly faded) giant club in Inter Milan, and turns it down for a handy few months in the Black Country. Story of his career really, too soft and unwilling to put himself through any pain or hardship, possibly a mental thing but will always take the easy way out.
    Liverpool are better off without him move him on to fvck, only pity it's not a permanent deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Knex. wrote: »
    Lallana looks like McGregor's drunken uncle or something.

His Druncle? We all have one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Only lfc could make such a promising transfer window turn to ****e so quick

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Lads his head is huge :pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

I'll gazump your face Boom.

I thought gazzump hasn't been used enough this transfer window. I like your usage though.

Is there any other deals we could Gazzump?

Dzeko, Giroud......we need a kind of target man that is handy on the deck as well to help break down those stubborn defences. Either of them would fit the bill. Although Klopp is probably not looking for a player of that mold

It's like Coutinho is visiting a homeless shelter, and meets a random unshaven smelly individual.

• Advertisement

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Lads his head is huge :pac:

Barca DNA

Liverpool have seen a bid for Roma goalkeeper Allison rejected, according to reports in Italy. However, Il Tempo have claimed that undisclosed offer for the Brazil No 1 has been rebuffed by the Serie A side. However, the Italian outlet says that although Roma have knocked back Liverpool's approach, they have told the English giants they will do business if their £44m valuation is met.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

jbt123 wrote: »

I think this post has a fair amount of waffle in it, like talking about mindset and weak minded etc, where exactly are you pulling that from, I have an idea.

You also suggest he should just head off to Inter to do the decent thing, come on man, ridiculous. He'll be off the bill until the summer at WBA anyway.

Here's a crazy suggestion about the move, Strurridge is from and I'm sure has family from the Birmingham area, maybe it suits him to play for WBA for that reason, hardly unrealistic is it?

It's that time of the window that Liverpool will express interest in players with no intention of buying them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

It's that time of the window that Liverpool will express interest in players with no intention of buying them.

I don't think Liverpool are expressing interest in any players, quite the opposite, journalists are just making **** up and some people actually believe some of it.

I'm very annoyed with this. I may tweet John W Henry about it!

surely a telegram may be more apt

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭jasonb

Our first 12/13 is pretty strong, after that though the quality drops off a bit. Theres no valid reason not to bring in any players this window really.

The justification will probably be the correct players aren't available, which is a fair point, its just grating then to see the likes of Mig/Karius/Lovren/Klavan/Moreno/Ings/Moreno still in some instances getting substantial game time and being relied on way too much. Sure they can do a job from time to time but the quality there is low. Long term, and if we are honest, they are all way below the standard needed if the aim is to win things.

I'm not saying we need to replace them all right now this window but we need at minimmn a GK/CB/CM/CF. Surely one of those positions can be filled this January. If we are unwilling to strengthen every window then just enjoy the good players while we have them because they wont be sticking around for long. We seem happy enough to weaken the squad by leaving players go this window which is maddening really.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

133 appearances for us in 5 years for sturridge, not a great stat at all.

• Advertisement

I bet he out scores Firmino in remaining league games.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement