Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    A bit surprised at the low level of interest in him.. actually though he was very good last season at Watford. Not good enough to play for us obviously, but really expected a promoted team to grab him last summer for pace and a bit of invention. But I guess promoted teams put a high value on heart and initiative and drive, and unfortunately while Marko has pace and ability, he doesn't have much of those other attributes.

He reminds of the outfield version of Mig. Has plenty of the technical qualities one would like, but not the mentality.

you sure you were watching the right lad? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

you sure you were watching the right lad? :p

Ha, yes, sorry, Hull - I always do that! For some reason those two clubs are interchangable in my head.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,495 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

ricero wrote: »
    Amanda staveley my bad.

Not what I was referring to. Rebel pretty much covered it with his post, how on earth do you think Staveley and co. could manage to make a fair bid for Liverpool when they can’t even stump up £300m for Newcastle? And that’s not an extortionate price for them either, unlike many I think it’s fair. I know you can’t stand FSG but they’re much wealthier and more able to financially support us than she and her company are.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭jbt123

Well he would be a 100% better option off the bench than Ings and Solanke. Surely you can see that? I hope he scores more goals than Firmino between now and May :D

Do me a favour.

Go and Fcuk off back to your United thread. If I wanted or was interested in your opinion then I'd post in there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Hull 4 - 0 Watford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Boom_Bap wrote: »
    133 appearances for us in 5 years for sturridge, not a great stat at all.

Coutinho joined the same time. Played surely about 100 games more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

martyos121 wrote: »
    Not what I was referring to. Rebel pretty much covered it with his post, how on earth do you think Staveley and co. could manage to make a fair bid for Liverpool when they can’t even stump up £300m for Newcastle? And that’s not an extortionate price for them either, unlike many I think it’s fair. I know you can’t stand FSG but they’re much wealthier and more able to financially support us than she and her company are.

They can but they have chosen not to. Is more likely I'd say.

Knex. wrote: »

Sturridge:

AfG22aD.png

Coutinho:

2uUduV7.png

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

The lid is off the blender in here. Sell up to Amanda's consortium, buy Giroud and recall Origi. Pay 90m for Mahrez.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,928 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Knex. wrote: »

Sturridge 133 games and 63 goals and 24 assists

Coutinho 202 games and 54 goals and 46 assists.

Just spend all the Coutinho money on bitcoin and we'll buy the league in the summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sturridge 133 games and 63 goals.

Coutinho 202 games and 54 goals.

Who would have ever thought a few years ago that they'd leave the club in the same month, and with only 9 goals difference between them.

Sturridge couldn't miss, and Coutinho hit the flag more than the target.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'd have Origi back if we aren't going to buy anyone. A player who knows how to score and has done it in Europe for us before. Dont see how that equals the "lid off the blender"......settling with Ings/Solanke as backup is hardly a better alternative....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

“This felt like the right fit,” “I’ve got friends here I’ve played with before, the manager spoke very well, the challenge with the team and the style of play . . . I just felt this was the right fit for me.”

Sturridge

As much as Klopp's transfer decisions frustrate me sometimes, I have to admit, he's got the best hit-record with signings we've had in a long time. And that comes from sticking to targets he's totally 100% happy with. As I said, for better or worse, this is how he operates. It'll work, or it won't.

My views on Klopp's signings

- Karius, utter sh1t, he was cheap but was declared out #1 keeper over 12 months ago.
    - Manninger, utter sh1t but I'd not class him as a signing to be fair
    - Klavan, grand signing considering he was bought as back up
    - Matip, very ish, seems to have regressed if anything
    - Robertson, looks a very good signing
    - Grujic, very ish, gone on loan now, hard to say if he was/will be a good or bad signing to be fair, he's made no impact whatsoever though, I doubt that was the plan but who knows
    - Mane, top class to be fair, recent slump considered
    - Salah, better than top class, utterly wonderful
    - Wij, good at a stretch, if I didn't follow LFC I'd not try to stretch it tbh
    - Solanke, one for the future, not fair to judge the signing as yet IMO
    - Ox, good and potentially very good
    - Virgil, dunno tbh, some folk were reckoning he needs a leader/organiser alongside him, if that proves to be the case he'll be good at best

That's £220k of players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,187 ✭✭✭mosstin

Hull 4 - 0 Watford

'Cause they speak a different language......

Just spend all the Coutinho money on bitcoin and we'll buy the league in the summer.

Maidsafe is where it's at ;)
    Or Versarian if you want to go the traditional stocks route :)

HTH

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

" The lid is off the blender ", I'll have to remember that one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Gas thing is, we’ll be back here in the summer. Keita will come in, Liverpool will make one early decent signing and then towards the end of the window, Salah will be sold to Real Madrid and for a huge fee and won’t be replaced. Then we’ll all wonder why challenging for fourth place and suffering Cup upsets is the extent of our season.

Gas thing is, we’ll be back here in the summer. Keita will come in, Liverpool will make one early decent signing and then towards the end of the window, Salah will be sold to Real Madrid and for a huge fee and won’t be replaced. Then we’ll all wonder why challenging for fourth place and suffering Cup upsets is the extent of our season.

Sure why bother even watching if you know what's going to happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,591 ✭✭✭brevity

Augeo wrote: »
    Maidsafe is where it's at ;)
    Or Versarian if you want to go the traditional stocks route :)

HTH

I find the whole thing very intriguing but I’m quite risk averse and for that reason I’m out :p

Maidsafe does seem interesting though. I follow a few of the Bitcoin enthusiasts (those that see it for something other than a quick buck) but I’m not sure what to make of them :o

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

We'll hold firm into January 2019 surely :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

At the tiime of signing VVD at the start of the window I would not have believed that we would have exited the window weaker attack wise than we entered it.

It's a huge gamble that will blow up in their face if we don't get the top 4 that everyone craves so much (but don't worry about not winning trophies).

I wonder how many more windows of net spend profits we'll see before people question the owners.

This summer will be a big indication as we should have £200m-300m to spend due to money left over from last summer, Coutinho money and new income from this seasons TV and Champion's League.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I'm baffled by Sturridge being sent off with no alternative brought in.

This transfer window has to be one of the strangest in recent memory. I came onto January full of excitement and hope.

Now I'm scared and confused and I think we're in a worse position now than we were after the great Mane drought of last season.

Scary times ahead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Augeo wrote: »
    My views on Klopp's signings

- Karius, utter sh1t, he was cheap but was declared out #1 keeper over 12 months ago.
    - Manninger, utter sh1t but I'd not class him as a signing to be fair
    - Klavan, grand signing considering he was bought as back up
    - Matip, very ish, seems to have regressed if anything
    - Robertson, looks a very good signing
    - Grujic, very ish, gone on loan now, hard to say if he was/will be a good or bad signing to be fair, he's made no impact whatsoever though, I doubt that was the plan but who knows
    - Mane, top class to be fair, recent slump considered
    - Salah, better than top class, utterly wonderful
    - Wij, good at a stretch, if I didn't follow LFC I'd not try to stretch it tbh
    - Solanke, one for the future, not fair to judge the signing as yet IMO
    - Ox, good and potentially very good
    - Virgil, dunno tbh, some folk were reckoning he needs a leader/organiser alongside him, if that proves to be the case he'll be good at best

That's £220k of players

Was the deal for Grujic not done by Rodgers?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Klopp has standards you must meet on the training ground to make it onto the pitch. Sturridge more often than not does not meeting the required training level to be considered.

I think sturridge is a quality player but he is soft and would not have featured much unless he trained which he clearly doesn't fancy doing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,564 ✭✭✭✭OwaynOTT

brevity wrote: »
    They look like two lads who have been on a gap year a bit too long.

Aren't all professional footballers really on a prolonged gap year from life?
    His Druncle? We all have one of them.

I've a yuncle.
    emmetkenny wrote: »
    Lads his head is huge :pac:

ooh-matron.gif
    NukaCola wrote: »
    Solanke has no goals, Ings last goal was 2 years ago, yet these lads are who we are going with? Thats a huge gamble that we shouldn't be taking.

The nonsense we are accepting in regards transfers is getting a bit much now.......I wonder will the right player be available in the summer if we are in the Europa?......

In fairness to Ings, he's been injured for quite a big bit of that time and he's look more like scoring a goal in that game on saturday than Big Dom has all year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

OwaynOTT wrote: »
    Aren't all professional footballers really on a prolonged gap year from life?

I've a yuncle.

ooh-matron.gif

In fairness to Ings, he's been injured for quite a big bit of that time and he's look more like scoring a goal in that game on saturday than Big Dom has all year.

I'd honestly send solanke out on loan and see what he is all about. He needs games and well can't see him getting too many at all.

That was my first thought too, but it was actually the first move we made with Klopp... Klopp's boy Buvač flew off to meet him and his Dad to get them on board in Klopp's first January.

Never thought so & I doubt it was done in Oct & kept quite until transfer window :)

• Advertisement

I'd honestly send solanke out on loan and see what he is all about. He needs games and well can't see him getting too many at all.

Klopp doesn't like loaning players out. And we can't really afford to loan him out, we're so light up front.
    I can see him getting a run of games between now and the end of the year because of injuries.

And another thing, is Lovern injured?
    Did he and Virgil not have a good partnership at the Saints? Might be a good idea to play them together, if they did and it might help settle Virgil.
    To be honest there's not much between Matip and Lovern in my eyes.
    Matip is marginally better but playing Lovern might help VVD along.

Klopp doesn't like loaning players out. And we can't really afford to loan him out, we're so light up front.
    I can see him getting a run of games between now and the end of the year because of injuries.

And another thing, is Lovern injured?
    Did he and Virgil not have a good partnership at the Saints? Might be a good idea to play them together, if they did and it might help settle Virgil.
    To be honest there's not much between Matip and Lovern in my eyes.
    Matip is marginally better but playing Lovern might help VVD along.

Virgil was signed after Lovren joined us Fonte was Lovren's CB partner at Southampton.

Lovren was at lfc when Virgil signed for S'ton.

The more you know. Can we sign Fonte then?

We could, but if we wanted him to look good, we'd have to sign Wanyama to sit in front of him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

thumb_31.jpg

We basically paid for VVD twice once for Southampton to sign him with the Lovren money and then when we bought him off them.

This is my thoughts on the whole thing as well.
    As a rule, I think managers spend money too willingly, and fans encourage them too quickly. I admire Klopp’s policy of spending big when he deems it necessary, but not spending for the sake of it, or for incremental upgrades.

https://twitter.com/rorysmith/status/958112878980141057

This is my thoughts on the whole thing as well.

https://twitter.com/rorysmith/status/958112878980141057

Very fair point. Bringing in a new face doesn't automatically fix a problem position. The highly rated Moreno was supposed to fix our long standing left back issue. The highly rated Karius was supposed to fix our goalkeeping woes. The highly rated Lovren was supposed to shore up defence.

Spending makes us feel better in the short term, but pretty often, it just brings the distraction of a new shiny thing that we quickly get tired of.

So what we really want is for Klopp to get the guy that he definitely wants, but right now, regardless of actual real world circumstances.

It's a fine line to walk. I can accept his 'be sure' policy.... but I would still have liked maybe one more of our problem positions addressed this window....

But its probabaly accurate to say that buying the wrong player slows our progress even more than buying no-one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Very fair point. Bringing in a new face doesn't automatically fix a problem position. The highly rated Moreno was supposed to fix our long standing left back issue. The highly rated Karius was supposed to fix our goalkeeping woes. The highly rated Lovren was supposed to shore up defence.

Spending makes us feel better in the short term, but pretty often, it just brings the distraction of a new shiny thing that we quickly get tired of.

So what we really want is for Klopp to get the guy that he definitely wants, but right now, regardless of actual real world circumstances.

It's a fine line to walk. I can accept his 'be sure' policy.... but I would still have liked maybe one more of our problem positions addressed this window....

But its probabaly accurate to say that buying the wrong player slows our progress even more than buying no-one.

Pretty much my feelings on things

We could, but if we wanted him to look good, we'd have to sign Wanyama to sit in front of him.

That's fine with me. The only issue I can see is the legality of giving the money to Southampton to buy him back from spurs so we can buy him from Southampton.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote:

Says a lot about how poor the player recruitment is then cause even when we do get targets some didn't exactly progress the team growth. When we do have good players they are linked with an exit which doesn't say much about our progress.
    Certainly this season has been a case of deja vu. Rotating the team more than others only to sell our depth in January is a head scratcher. I'm just trying to think of a game I'd like to rest Firmino in to play Solanke or Ings & I can't think of any so god forbid any serious injuries to the front 3 cause we're proper f*cked then.

ERG89 wrote: »
    Says a lot about how poor the player recruitment is then cause even when we do get targets some didn't exactly progress the team growth. When we do have good players they are linked with an exit which doesn't say much about our progress.
    Certainly this season has been a case of deja vu. Rotating the team more than others only to sell our depth in January is a head scratcher. I'm just trying to think of a game I'd like to rest Firmino in to play Solanke or Ings & I can't think of any so god forbid any serious injuries to the front 3 cause we're proper f*cked then.

That's exactly the point though. That we've been guilty of bringing a body, rather than the right body. Whereas in contrast, many of the guys Klopp has been stubborn about getting, are the ones who really bed in and work, rather than needing to be dumped as failures after a few months. (Karius aside).

As for the thing of good players being linked with an exit... well, that's just inevitable unfortunately. The best players in the world will be linked with the best clubs in the world. But when that happens, it's a good mark of recruitment. Better to have the guy that Barca or Madrid are slavering over, than the guy not doing well enough to invite any attention. We're in the second tier of clubs, and that's not going to change any time soon, but that's fine. PSG already look likely to lose Neymar within another year or so to Madrid. Chelsea are likely to lose Hazard before too long. Dortmund lost Dembele last summer, and Aubameyang now.

And, so it goes, we'll pick the clubs below us clean of any special talent they have.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Oh god, we're away tonight?! I thought we were at home....

Oh crispy pancakes its gonna be another scenic bus tour from Huddersfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,546 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Vicxas wrote: »

I view it the other way: our away form has been good and the game has come around quickly and is the perfect opportunity to bounce back from a couple of bad results.
    At the risk of sounding like Rodgers, the players should show the desired attitude and character and be chomping at the bit to get to this game and show what they are really made of.
    If we lose it's a crisis though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Vicxas wrote: »

I'd rather play them away then at home,they should at least try to play abit at home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

So Sturridge is out on loan! Are we really going to survive with those striking options? Both Salah and Firmino as false 9s, and Danny Ings who hasn't scored a senior goal in about 2 years?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Dickerty wrote: »
    So Sturridge is out on loan! Are we really going to survive with those striking options? Both Salah and Firmino as false 9s, and Danny Ings who hasn't scored a senior goal in about 2 years?

And Solanke. Who, despite his potential, has never scored a senior goal at this level.

[Edit: 7 for Vitesse is the sum total of his career goals... Not to be sniffed at given his age but certainly risky for us]

I'm mildly nervous...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭jem

Would have thought that celtic's dembelle would be a decent buy. not a huge cost, plenty of potential, loads of goals in scotland(I know) decent athlete as well.
    I worry that fun bobby will get injured or this fake investagation will take him out for a few games.
    I read that vidal from bayern seems to be buyable. He is a player that I always rated.
    I know that fergergas is geting on a bit but would seem to be what we need against park the bus teams.
    remember gary mac.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

I wonder if we have something up our sleeves. It's not really our thing to do late in the window, but it seems off to let an attacking player go when we are struggling a bit, and the drop off after the first choice 3 is very substantial...

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement