Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

noodler wrote: »
    Mahrez to city is annoying.

That many points clear and dropping 100m on players. Do players not worry about getting gametime at some stage?

What's city's net spend including the summer at? Maybe I've missed a couple of big sales.

They have sold no one of consequence other than Iheanacho (though if you add up the 8-10 million players they've generated about 60 from last summer), I'm wondering if they are striking now because of something FFP related.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

mosstin wrote: »
    Seriously, what is it in the past fortnight on here? If we're not discussing Sanchez, they're all in here 'coming in peace'.

Posts like this are just stupid. The lads have contributed to the thread and gave their thoughts. Theres no problem with that at all.

The United guys in here today have talked a lot more sense than many of our fans have in the last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Pope for me and that is just of the top of my head.

Doubt he can be classed as #2 anymore. Even when Heaton is fit again I can't see Pope actually being dropped by Dyche. Heaton probably go to the bench with Lindegaard released after his deal expires.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,388 ✭✭✭✭Jayop

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Posts like this are just stupid. The lads have contributed to the thread and gave their thoughts. Theres no problem with that at all.

The United guys in here today have talked a lot more sense than many of our fans have in the last week.

Thanks emmet(the closet United fan) ;)

Not often I get accused of talking sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,024 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

They have sold no one of consequence other than Iheanacho (though if you add up the 8-10 million players they've generated about 60 from last summer), I'm wondering if they are striking now because of something FFP related.

Yes.
    <snip>.
    Actually, cutting that article cause it's truly awful - but the gist is, apparently there's a new FFP version due to come into place in May. FFP 2.0

• Advertisement

pjohnson wrote: »
    Doubt he can be classed as #2 anymore. Even when Heaton is fit again I can't see Pope actually being dropped by Dyche. Heaton probably go to the bench with Lindegaard released after his deal expires.

Could Heaton be an option for Liverpool?

Like serious question, given the problems with goal keepers for quite a while, Reina was the last decent keeper they had imo, would they be better off now going for a decent level premier league keeper or someone from afar who might have a higher ceiling but is more of an unknown quantity.

There's long been problems with keepers stepping up in the PL too though I guess. Look at the Everton lads struggles this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

FFP is dead no matter what UEFA try to do City, Barca, Madrid & PSG will find a way around it.

utd are probably the only team to be able to spend big and not worry about FFP.

Munich & Juve will just pick up all the free agents then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,164 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Jayop wrote: »

Like serious question, given the problems with goal keepers for quite a while, Reina was the last decent keeper they had imo, would they be better off now going for a decent level premier league keeper or someone from afar who might have a higher ceiling but is more of an unknown quantity.

There's long been problems with keepers stepping up in the PL too though I guess. Look at the Everton lads struggles this season.

With the injury I have doubts Heaton will play again as a first choice. Unless a newly promoted side wanted him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

FFP is dead no matter what UEFA try to do City, Barca, Madrid & PSG will find a way around it.

Seemingly it's the likes of Real and Bayern and Barca are the ones pushing it this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Is there a forum where Liverpool supporters can discuss Liverpool football club etc?

• Advertisement

Yeah, and I hear that Wayne Shaw lad who ate the pie on TV last year is available too. Good options one and all.

pjohnson wrote: »
    With the injury I have doubts Heaton will play again as a first choice. Unless a newly promoted side wanted him.

Sorry wasn't aware that it was a very serious one. Should have looked that up first, but the point stands. Would they be better off taking a punt on a PL experienced keeper from a middle tier club that will have known strengths and limitations, or would they be better buying someone young and fancy from Europe and gambling on them settling quick?

Think of all the flops other big clubs have had to go through to get a decent keeper, non less than ourselves. It's a prick of a position to fill.

sword1 wrote: »
    Is there a forum where Liverpool supporters can discuss Liverpool football club etc?

Yep if you only want to hear the views of Liverpool fans I'm sure they are forums around the net similar too Red Cafe and all for man United.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    Yeah, and I hear that Wayne Shaw lad who ate the pie on TV last year is available too. Good options one and all.

yeah he's comparable to a man that's played for England less than a year ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,378 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Thanks emmet(the closet United fan) ;)

Not often I get accused of talking sense.

Oh I thought Jayo was in here posting. I retract my previous post :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Munich are sitting on a stock pile of money. Probably one of the only top clubs in the world which is more or less debt free and have a few hundred million sitting in the bank.

As for FFP....clubs like Dortmund and Liverpool are dreaming of it. Its more or less the only way both can compete with sugar Daddy clubs or clubs hiding huge debts in daughter companies and marketing projects.

yeah he's comparable to a man that's played for England less than a year ago.

The point is, you seem to be suggesting purposefully choosing poorer options.

A middling PL guy is the last thing we need. That's what we've had in Mignolet. Those are generally the ones who crumble when they're forced to stay constantly sharp, and deal with only 2 shots, 35 minutes apart, instead of 20.

No, rather than actively searching for mediocrity, I'd rather we try to get someone who's, like, good.

Heaton is 'fine', but nowhere near good enough, especially after his injury. And playing for England is no great boast considering Hart is still their number one.

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Oh I thought Jayo was in here posting. I retract my previous post :pac:

We both here hahahaha

Here when we win and a certain team doesn't :cool:

The point is, you seem to be suggesting purposefully choosing poorer options.

A middling PL guy is the last thing we need. That's what we've had in Mignolet. Those are generally the ones who crumble when they're forced to deal with only 2 shots instead of 20.

No, rather than actively searching for mediocrity, I'd rather we try to get someone who's, like, good.

Heaton is 'fine', but nowhere near good enough, especially after his injury. And playing for England is no great boast considering Hart is still their number one.

I'm absolutely not just going for middling keepers. Heaton was iird the only name I suggested, and that was only a small part of the post anyway. The real question was...

"Like serious question, given the problems with goal keepers for quite a while, Reina was the last decent keeper they had imo, would they be better off now going for a decent level premier league keeper or someone from afar who might have a higher ceiling but is more of an unknown quantity."

So forget Heaton or any of the other names that have caused upset at being suggested. Someone you know from the PL would likely add stability and using Migs for a reason not to do it is a bit silly as there's been plenty of inter league transfers that have worked really well. You can of course go for a less known keeper in the hope you get an Ederson but you might end up with a Bravo and have the same problem a year later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,927 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Milner starts ahead of Ox

That team pretty much picks itself don't it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Vvd on bench

I'm absolutely not just going for middling keepers. Heaton was iird the only name I suggested, and that was only a small part of the post anyway. The real question was...

"Like serious question, given the problems with goal keepers for quite a while, Reina was the last decent keeper they had imo, would they be better off now going for a decent level premier league keeper or someone from afar who might have a higher ceiling but is more of an unknown quantity."

So forget Heaton or any of the other names that have caused upset at being suggested. Someone you know from the PL would likely add stability and using Migs for a reason not to do it is a bit silly as there's been plenty of inter league transfers that have worked really well. You can of course go for a less known keeper in the hope you get an Ederson but you might end up with a Bravo and have the same problem a year later.

The PL simply doesn't tend to produce high quality keepers. Look at the other top clubs - all of their first choice keepers have come from elsewhere, and that's been the case for a long time. The only exception I can think of in there is Cech at Arsenal - and he came from another top club, who got him from outside the league.

If you want a good keeper, the record shows that looking for one in the PL is a bad choice.

There is not a single keeper outside of the top 6 in England that I would look at and think, 'yeah, he could come in and be our number 1'.

England used to turn out quality stoppers like they did great centre backs.

As for that team, at least Robertson is back in. Hard to make any other changes really which is damning.

Can, Henderson & Milner starting.

After buying ox and wij that's strange IMO.

Ox will be asked to use his pace late on I expect. Wiji would be his lesser self against a side that'll play deep, though probably not as deep as the reverse fixture!

The PL simply doesn't tend to produce high quality keepers. Look at the other top clubs - all of their first choice keepers have come from elsewhere, and that's been the case for a long time. The only exception I can think of in there is Cech at Arsenal - and he came from another top club, who got him from outside the league.

If you want a good keeper, the record shows that looking for one in the PL is a bad choice.

There is not a single keeper outside of the top 6 in England that I would look at and think, 'yeah, he could come in and be our number 1'.

Fair enough. You're likely right that there's not genuine top top quality keepers in the league outside of the top teams. It's just taking a keeper from the continent is a big gamble too.

Like I said a prick of a position to get right. We went through countless keepers after Schmikes and have been blessed the last ten years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Augeo wrote:
    After buying ox and wij that's strange IMO.

Ox yeah Wijnaldum is anonymous a fair amount so I never lament his exclusion.
    Van Dijk not starting again is a concern though if he's picking up injuries.

ERG89 wrote: »

Wouldn't mind giving Wij a bit of a break... was consistently one of our best players last season. Maybe a bit of time out can get him back to his previous form.

Think Keita coming in for next season will compliment him too, moreso than Can does.

VVD can't be too bad if he's on the bench

RoboKlopp wrote: »

I'd say it's just incase he needs him in last ten minutes. Shouldn't do tho Huddersfield have really dropped off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Exactly what I was thinking.

Lallana out again.

Milner before Ox.

Its all going a bit Pets Tong lately.

jayo26 wrote: »
    I'd say it's just incase he needs him in last ten minutes. Shouldn't do tho Huddersfield have really dropped off.

:rolleyes:

Yeah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Would love to see Firmino in a midfield 3, he has the skill, work rate and ability to retain ball that is needed in there, would still get into double figures from there, we bought him for that position in first place. It was Klopp that turned him into a number 9.
    We would actually need to replace Saurez though, buy a striker.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

~Rebel~ wrote:
    Wouldn't mind giving Wij a bit of a break... was consistently one of our best players last season.

If there is any word I would use to describe him consistent is the last one I'd think of. He's either totally anonymous or very good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

brinty wrote: »
    just broke the world record for a defender by 25m, how's thats sitting on thumbs when most supporters are saying the defence and GK needs sorting as the front players are sorted....

It's one player,we need another four or five at the very least

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,932 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

We've been rotating the team all season, idk why it's any surprise that we've continued to do so today.

Yeah, i'd say its just erring on the side of caution with Spurs coming up over the weekend... considering how badly they destroyed Lovren last time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,212 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Jesus, Henderson, can, and milner in midfield does not bode well,they'd struggle to break down the local under 12s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,465 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

3 Mr Sideways tonight. The most boring midfield in world football.
    Who out of this 3 is our Gerrard or Lampard tonight? All 3 can't be sitting in front of Lovern, who is the one who will link or get beyond front 3 tonight?

If there is any word I would use to describe him consistent is the last one I'd think of. He's either totally anonymous or very good.

This season, yes, last season I thought he was excellent pretty much throughout.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

jayo26 wrote: »
    Yep if you only want to hear the views of Liverpool fans I'm sure they are forums around the net similar too Red Cafe and all for man United.

There are general football threads and,match threads and transfer threads etc for people to interact and man u fans views on Liverpool. It is no coincidence that the last page is dominated by man u fans when Liverpool are after a couple of poor results.
    I am sure there are plenty others who like me signed up to boards and made up fifty posts to get access to the Liverpool thread as we hear plenty enough of man u fans opinions on Liverpool on an hourly basis in real life.
    I have suggested before that a Liverpool, a Manchester United and a Liverpool /Manchester United thread would be an idea for those who want that interaction. I am sure I am not the only one who goes on boards.ie to get away from United fans and visa versa

3 Mr Sideways tonight. The most boring midfield in world football.
    Who out of this 3 is our Gerrard or Lampard tonight? All 3 can't be sitting in front of Lovern, who is the one who will link or get beyond front 3 tonight?

Would hope Henderson. He's at his best when he's allowed to do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,679 ✭✭✭✭machiavellianme

shamrock55 wrote: »
    Jesus, Henderson, can, and milner in midfield does not bode well,they'd struggle to break down the local under 12s

When did we sign Jesus? Isnt he crocked? He'll fit right in so.:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

There are general football threads and,match threads and transfer threads etc for people to interact and man u fans views on Liverpool. It is no coincidence that the last page is dominated by man u fans when Liverpool are after a couple of poor results.
    I am sure there are plenty others who like me signed up to boards and made up fifty posts to get access to the Liverpool thread as we hear plenty enough of man u fans opinions on Liverpool on an hourly basis in real life.
    I have suggested before that a Liverpool, a Manchester United and a Liverpool /Manchester United thread would be an idea for those who want that interaction. I am sure I am not the only one who goes on boards.ie to get away from United fans and visa versa

I think there should be much more interaction between the 2 sets of fans, the problem is a small number from both sides ruin it. That and the fact most Man Utd fans are just dreadful people.

It's not about interaction it's about people expressing their views. Maybe the sudden influx is because we have been told not to talk about Liverpool or other rivals in the United thread which is fine.

The pool thread is for talking about Liverpool and United thread is talking about United there are a few pool fans that post in the United thread and most are always welcome slick and Emmet will testify to that.

I don't know about the lad shut I'm here because yes I have a laugh and joke as it looks expense same as the other way around but I also enjoy talking about football and other teams I frequent the arsenal thread too.

I have never gone into another thread to send it off-topic or anything other then talk about the team if I want to have a mess or something I'll stick to the United thread for that.

We should be all grown up enough to accept other people's genuine opinions and if you don't like the rules of the charter or thread then argue for them to be changed properly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

We will loose tonight and win on Sunday,the Liverpool way

I think there should be much more interaction between the 2 sets of fans, the problem is a small number from both sides ruin it. That and the fact most Man Utd fans are just dreadful people.

great opinion there fair play to you.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement