Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,739 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

NukaCola wrote: »
    There is simply no acceptable reason to sell Coutinho in January.

£150M - Cash Up Front, and yeah, they can probably have him in January

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

I'll make a bolt prediction that in a year or 2 that they will come back for Firmino.
    -_-

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

At least £150 million im the summer not now. Barcalona need him badly, there's not many players around like Coutinho. We hold the cards and lets wait until after the world cup before making any decisions. Coutinho knows he can go in the summer when the price is right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Very disappointing if FSG sell Countinho this window after the high of bringing in VvD.

It would be another case of sell to buy under them.

You could understand if it was a pre contract agreement where he wouldn't leave till the summer but to let him go now would be absolute madness from FSG and really take the wind out of our sails heading into the second half of the season.

Hopefully we hear from the club in the next day or two that it's all bullsh*t.

Do we have presser with Klopp today for the Burnley match?
    Interesting if he addresses it or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,191 ✭✭✭✭Shanotheslayer

GiftofGab wrote: »
    At least £150 million im the summer not now. Barcalona need him badly, there's not many players around like Coutinho. We hold the cards and lets wait until after the world cup before making any decisions. Coutinho knows he can go in the summer when the price is right.

Why do Barca need him badly? They're comfortable in the league so far without him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

ERG89 wrote: »
    I'll make a bolt prediction that in a year or 2 that they will come back for Firmino.
    -_-

Yep. Salah is certainly on radars as well. Just shows that football clubs are businesses just like other types of businesses - if you don't show ambition to grow and become one of the big boys, then you'll get swallowed up and become an also-ran.

LFC signing VVD for huge money is a step in the right direction, despite all the opposition fans taking the mick at the price. Kieta to come next year and hopefully Goretzka, we're doing the right things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

^ We are only doing the right things if we keep Coutinho, selling him now or in the summer would be taking two steps backwards.

^ We are only doing the right things if we keep Coutinho, selling him now or in the summer would be taking two steps backwards.

I know what you're saying, but we can't be known as a club who hold players 'prisoner' (albeit, exceptionally well-paid prisoners!) either. Players may become hesitant to sign at all, or sign extentions, if the club has a staunch no-movement stance. Playing hardball like they did in the summer is good, but if Coutinho is sold in the summer then I wouldn't begrudge the owners. Like Suarez, Couts has been extremely professional this season, in what I suspect is his last season with us. He seems desperate to go there so good luck to him.

Having said that, I would expect that the owners will not let him leave in January. He may be sold in January, but I expect him to move in the summer.
    I don't think there's much more they can reasonably be expected to do, if the player is adamant that he wants to go.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Even Barca had to sell when the price was right, will be genuinely sorry to see him go however.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭dzer2

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Yep, read someone saying how they only spent €89 million on Lukaku. But he’s a sh!te defender, gifted City a goal a few weeks ago, and the same against Burnley yesterday.

Van Dijk looking like a bargain already.
    fyfe79 wrote: »
    I know what you're saying, but we can't be known as a club who hold players 'prisoner' (albeit, exceptionally well-paid prisoners!) either. Players may become hesitant to sign at all, or sign extentions, if the club has a staunch no-movement stance. Playing hardball like they did in the summer is good, but if Coutinho is sold in the summer then I wouldn't begrudge the owners. Like Suarez, Couts has been extremely professional this season, in what I suspect is his last season with us. He seems desperate to go there so good luck to him.

Having said that, I would expect that the owners will not let him leave in January. He may be sold in January, but I expect him to move in the summer.
    I don't think there's much more they can reasonably be expected to do, if the player is adamant that he wants to go.

If the player wants to go then you can only do one thing and that is get as much money as you can for him and Liverpool hold all the cards in that regard and should look for 200mil and really test Barcas resolve in getting their man like Southampton did.

• Advertisement

^ Yeah I think £200m is certainly achievable. We know Barca are desperate for him and have £222m+ burning a hole in their pockets. Treat them like how Southampton treated us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Even Barca had to sell when the price was right, will be genuinely sorry to see him go however.

They kicked up a major fuss over psg paying his release clause that barca themselves inserted, they went crying to the Spanish fa to try intervene and all iirc. I know Liverpool ain't clean when it comes to transfers but barca really double down on the sh!thousery involved in it all.

Ballague is a proven spoofer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Snap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Duncan Castles saying Coutinho boarded a plane to Spain this morning and the fee is €10 million.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

His value wont go down, if we can demand that now we can demand it in the summer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Well I'd be putting another 25% on Coutinho's price now for that Nike mistake and be telling Barca get Nike to pay it if you can't afford it.

£150m plus 25% = £187.5m.

£187.5m pays for VVD, Lemar & Goretzka.

I wouldn't like to lose Coutinho but replacing him with those players strengthens the squad big time and the whole of next summers transfer budget can be spent on a keeper then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Ballague is a proven spoofer
    He's an absolute spoofer.

I've found him to be not too far off on a lot of stuff related to Spain. But like all Journalists, I take it with a pinch of salt.

Don't think it's any secret Barca want Griezmann and Coutinho anyway.

The fact Barca's wage bill is 80% of turnover is alarming if you're a Barca fan.

If they throw in Ter Stegen and Umtitti that would be nice.

• Advertisement

Duncan Castles saying Coutinho boarded a plane to Spain this morning and the fee is €10 million.

PM, dude.

And Barca are overpaying at that but are sound and helping out poor old 'Pool.

Well I'd be putting another 25% on Coutinho's price now for that Nike mistake and be telling Barca get Nike to pay it if you can't afford it.

I wouldn't like to lose Coutinho but replacing him with those players strengthens the squad big time and the whole of next summers transfer budget can be spent on a keeper then.

Nice. Sign that young keeper from Milan - seems to be getting a rough time of it from their support (nothing to do with his performances, btw).

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If/when we sell Coutinho, it won't be for more than 150m. It'll probably be about 110m + 25m in somewhat realistic add ons I'd say, or something about that mary. Also, I doubt that us buying van Dijk was based on th eCoutinho money coming in, but it doesn't mean that Coutinho leaving is fairly inevitable. I just hope nothing happens in January, or even an announcement of an agreement, even if one exists.

People saying we'll get 200m for him are just setting themselves up to be angry later on. Life will go on, same as it did when Rush, Fowler, Owen, Torres, Suarez all left (although not really fair to lump Fowler in there given the circumstances).

If he does leave in January, the club must have someone lined up to replace him. In theory Lallana could take his spot but the only player who would be useful as a January addition would be Goretzka, I think he isn't cup tied for the CL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Michael Owen all over again ****ing robbery. :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,393 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Why do Barca need him badly? They're comfortable in the league so far without him.

They might be comfortable in the league this year but they're not the force in Europe that they were a few seasons ago.
    We need to buy and secure replacements for Coutinho before we sell him. If we sell him first we'll just receive inflated prices for other player's. Its not about how much we get for Coutinho, its about how much profit we can make from selling him and buying suitable replacements

fyfe79 wrote:
    Nice. Sign that young keeper from Milan - seems to be getting a rough time of it from their support (nothing to do with his performances, btw).

If I'd buy anyone in Italy its Alisson at Roma; far better than Donnarumma who's performances have dropped.
    Alisson can play with the ball at his feet & is a good shot stopper too.

ERG89 wrote: »
    If I'd buy anyone in Italy its Alisson at Roma; far better than Donnarumma who's performances have dropped.
    Alisson can play with the ball at his feet & is a good shot stopper too.

I'd be sligtly worried that Szczesny kept him out of the team last year!

• Advertisement

Jurgen Klopp says Simon Mignolet to start v Burnley
    https://twitter.com/_pauljoyce/status/947452375509422080

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

5starpool wrote: »
    Surprise to no one surely.

Not surprised but disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Agreed, warn them every time Coutinho is mentioned by anyone involved with their club the price goes up by 10 million.

I'd be sligtly worried that Szczesny kept him out of the team last year!

Well he got a move to Juve so that shows that he had a good season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

I think people are underestimating the impact him leaving would have on us. His ability to score from long range is huge for us. Him leaving will give us one less answer to a low block. I don't see any player out there who we could sign that would immediately replace him either.

PLay hardball and let him go in the summer.

Speaking of the summer, i'd love to see us grab Zaha. He's gonna cost a lot but he's a quality player and works pretty damn hard too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Yea when price is right. Barca can't afford a slap of paint for their stadium, and they spent the 198m they got for Neymar on 5 other players. Where they are coming up with another 175m for Coutinho I'll never know.
    They will offer 60m with crazy add ons that make it 90m if Coutinho wins best supporting actress at Oscars or some similar add on.
    They're dreaming about owning a Ferrari while driving a Fiesta .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

If he leaves this january i will be ****ing disgusted. Whats the point ? Hold off until the summer and then sell. The club will look like right ****ing idiots if they sell their best player halfway through the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

ricero wrote: »
    If he leaves this january i will be ****ing disgusted. Whats the point ? Hold off until the summer and then sell. The club will look like right ****ing idiots if they sell their best player halfway through the season.

Id say most supporters would agree with you

At least its not swing and hope clearances like Karius does, he got praised for one of those going to a red shirt yesterday.
    Arsenals keeper make same mistake Migs did and in same game, no one slaughtered him for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

ricero wrote: »

Bang on the money as usual ricero!

• Advertisement

Barca wants to sell squad players to fund a bid for Coutinho, I can't see them achieving that in January window. They need to off load 6 players they don't use.

Dembélé cost them 105m , so Coutinho needs to be close to double. Dembélé played game for them, got injured and is out for months, that was karma at work for their treatment of Liverpool in summer and Neymar too. They have little class when it comes to their players let a lone someone else's players.

5starpool wrote: »
    Surprise to no one surely.

Yeah.... I suppose Karius isn't great either... be good if klopp has someone in mind to buy.

I’m not working today and until Barca or Nike respond to requests for a comment about why/how it happened no point speculating.
    For what it’s worth I’d be amazed if a deal is done for Jan.
    https://twitter.com/jamespearceecho/status/947454459290050560

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

At least its not swing and hope clearances like Karius does, he got praised for one of those going to a red shirt yesterday.
    Arsenals keeper make same mistake Migs did and in same game, no one slaughtered him for it.

He didn't get praised for it. Someone (you?) continuously posted about him finding a Leicester player with his kickouts (as if its all down to the keeper) so a poster replied with sarcasm.

I thought Karius played ok yesterday. Didn't have a lot to do but he is so much quicker at instigating counters than Migs. In fact you could see him getting frustrated with his teammates when they didn't spring forward. He hasn't shown enough to be considered the answer at keeper but i'd love for him to be given more of a shot. We know its not Migs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

He's an absolute spoofer.

He is but there's nothing new in those tweets.

Both seem to be on their way eventually to Barca, the fee will be north of €200m for the pair and Barca's wages are insane so the notion about selling players is probably realistic, although their squads not huge and other than a few that are already on their way out or close to retirement, they don't have a great selection of players to bin.

It's an awkward time for them because Suarez is on the decline but still important, and even Messi can't last forever, but they've padded their side out with fairly average players like Alcacer, Deulofeu and Denis Suarez, who they need for bodies, but probably won't get them much money or free up much in wages.

The clubs finances seem to be in a bit of a mess. It's a tiny ray of hope for us.

As for Coutinho leaving, despite his good form this season I still think we'll be a better team with an orthodox CF to partner Firmino (one who fits the system) and Keita taking on some of the creative burden, than our current setup.
    I certainly wouldn't turn my nose up at the likes of Lemar though, or Coutinho staying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Grueller

In better news City have dropped two points. They are wobbling with the pressure we are applying. Jurgen is coming for Pep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

You know the way transfers that looked expensive early in the last window looked cheap by the end of it, January window isn't even open yet and Coutinho is staying till the summer at least, hopefully Nike can get a rap for trying to unsettle players, false advertising or something

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Grueller wrote: »
    In better news City have dropped two points. They are wobbling with the pressure we are applying. Jurgen is coming for Pep.
    lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,276 ✭✭✭Grueller

lol

Was tongue in cheek to be fair.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement