Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Grueller wrote: »
    lol

Was tongue in cheek to be fair.
    I know, eighteen points - be grand :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So what changes for Burnley?

Mignolet will start. Fancy Ox will start in place of Salah. Wijnaldum in for Milner. Maybe TAA for Gomez possibly?

Not sure about Lallana. Has he enough minutes under the belt to start a game yet? Could Solanke start in for Firmino?

Mane will start I think. He's been rotated a fair bit lately. I reckon Coutinho could do with a rest but but can't see him being left out tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

MD1990 wrote: »

This makes me sad. Never seen him play but I had my heart set on him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Signed him for 50m in Fifa for nothing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

amber69 wrote: »
    This makes me sad. Never seen him play but I had my heart set on him

He's going to Bayern, no one will ever see him play again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Ok who is the next player to get hopes up with??

I say Fabinho as the DM and Lemar as Coutinho's replacement a Monaco double!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

^ We are only doing the right things if we keep Coutinho, selling him now or in the summer would be taking two steps backwards.

How do you think keeping him against his will for a second time will work out? He's put his disappointment in the summer aside and gotten his head down but if Barca come back in with another official offer and we once again refuse to sanction his transfer I wouldn't be so sure he'd react as well second time round. I know it's world cup year and all but if he throws a few sickies and holds back from putting 100% into every game it's unlikely the Brazil national team will do anything other than understand he's still a world class player who is sulking at his club for having his dream move to Barcelona blocked.....twice.

If Barca come back in with an offer which matches the club's valuation and he really wants to go then let him go, we shouldn't be forcing players who don't want to play for us to play for us.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

If Barca come back in with an offer which matches the club's valuation and he really wants to go then let him go, we shouldn't be forcing players who don't want to play for us to play for us.[/QUOTE]

The club values him at 250 million, what next then? Vvd threw a strop and his price went up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Howe did you think keeping him against his will for a second time will work out? He's put his disappointment in the summer aside and gotten his head down but if Barca come back in with another official offer and we once again refuse to sanction his transfer I wouldn't be so sure he'd react as well second time round. I know it's world cup year and all but if he throws a few sickies and holds back from putting 100% into every game it's unlikely the Brazil national team will do anything other than understand he's still a world class player who is sulking at his club for having his dream move to Barcelona blocked.....twice.

If Barca come back in with an offer which matches the club's valuation and he really wants to go then let him go, we shouldn't be forcing players who don't want to play for us to play for us.

He is signed to a long term deal. He can suck it up if he doesn't like it.

Liverpool have zero obligation to sell the player or to sell to barca unless the right money is offered and barca will offer some s**t deal like 10 million a season over 7 years with 50 million in incentives if he wins world player of the year for next five seasons

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Why would we be suprised. The player turned down Klopp already in his career. When he moved from VFL Bochum to Schalke he had a chance to sign for BVB for better conditions and perspective and turned it down.

rossie1977 wrote: »
    He is signed to a long term deal. He can suck it up if he doesn't like it.

Ask Southampton how useful VVD was for them since the summer. They threw all the same shapes about VVD not being for sale and how Liverpool's stayed interest was unwelcome blah blah blah and acted all tough to curry favour with their supporters but when VVD sulked from Sept to Dec they quickly realised holding onto a player against his will is 100% counterproductive.

You end up continuing to pay his wages but don't get the benefit of having the player on the pitch or fully committed when you do manage to get him on the pitch so you end up eating some humble pie and selling him to the club you swore you wouldn't sell him to anyway. You can soften the blow by claiming to have extracted maximum price but when selling any asset you should be extracting maximum price anyway. Saying Southampton got more for him now than they would have gotten in the summer is just being suckered in by the PR machine. No one knows what Liverpool would have been prepared to pay in the summer.

Are you suggesting if Southampton had said they wanted £75m four months ago and not a penny less in order for Klopp to have VVD for the full season Liverpool would have said "No" but they are now perpetrated to pay it to have him with half the season gone???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,956 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Ask Southampton how useful VVD was for them since the summer. They threw all the same shapes about VVD not being for sale and how Liverpool's stayed interest was unwelcome blah blah blah and acted all tough to curry favour with their supporters but when VVD sulked from Sept to Dec they quickly realised holding onto a player against his will is 100% counterproductive.

You end up continuing to pay his wages but don't get the benefit of having the player on the pitch or fully committed when you do manage to get him on the pitch so you end up eating some humble pie and selling him to the club you swore you wouldn't sell him to anyway. You can soften the blow by claiming to have extracted maximum price but when selling any asset you should be extracting maximum price anyway. Saying Southampton got more for him now than they would have gotten in the summer is just being suckered in by the PR machine. No one knows what Liverpool would have been prepared to pay in the summer.

Are you suggesting if Southampton had said they wanted £75m four months ago and not a penny less in order for Klopp to have VVD for the full season Liverpool would have said "No" but they are now perpetrated to pay it to have him with half the season gone???

We've already got 3 months of evidence of Coutinho sucking it up and getting on with his job though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Pyjamarama

We've already got 3 months of evidence of Coutinho sucking it up and getting on with his job though

Yup. Coutinho knows that he needs to play at a high standard to secure his spot on the Brazilian team. He's been magnificent this season. Its a total credit to him tbh.

• Advertisement

I know and I think it's a credit to him but my point is will he react the same way if Barca come back in again for him in January or will he, seeing how it worked out so well for his new teammate VVD, start sulking and throwing sickies (remember his mysterious back injury during round one of the Barca transfer saga?) and not put the effort in when on the pitch etc in order to force a move? What actual use would that be for the team? It would be a fairly pyrrhic victory!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

If coutinho leaves i think it will be in the summer cant see the club accepting one of the best players leaving in January

Pyjamarama wrote: »
    Yup. Coutinho knows that he needs to play at a high standard to secure his spot on the Brazilian team.

I disagree. They already know how good he is and value him. If he throws a few sickies between now and June and putts less than 100% in on the pitch not only will they understand why and not change their opinion of him but they'll actually be getting a fresher player for the World Cup!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Unless a replacement is lined up, then the club should come right out and say he’s not for sale in Jan under any circumstances.

We need Coutinho.
    Tight race for top4, good chance of making CL 1/4s.
    Being able to rotate the fab 4 has been a factor in continuing to play well and score goals.
    We’ve been lucky with injuries, but they can arise (Salah may miss time), so you always need quality.

Come the summer the club should then come out and state that they understand Coutinho’s desire to go to Barca; then clearly outline the required price (screw your addons) and set a deadline date (i.e. July 31st) for Barca and the player to agree the deal or it’s off for at least 12months. Play the media game and leave the onus and ball firmly in Barca’s court to appease the player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Even if Coutinho doesn’t play again this season he is a shoe in for the Brazilian squad for the World Cup.

• Advertisement

None of us know what deal Klopp or the club have done with him. Maybe they told him....get back to playing and in Jan you will get your move...
    Maybe they told him summer......

Fact is none of us know...but if anyone wants to tell me VVD didnt know during the summer that he would be moving in Dec. I will happily call you a liar. Football is a business, everyone has a price and Klopp is a peoples person, doesnt want unhappy or unsettled players in his team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

None of us know what deal Klopp or the club have done with him. Maybe they told him....get back to playing and in Jan you will get your move...
    Maybe they told him summer......

Fact is none of us know...but if anyone wants to tell me VVD didnt know during the summer that he would be moving in Dec. I will happily call you a liar. Football is a business, everyone has a price and Klopp is a peoples person, doesnt want unhappy or unsettled players in his team.

Coutinho has shown no signs of being unhappy or unsettled.

Arguably having his best season with us.

I don't think he'll go next month, I think the Nike thing is just a mistake. Probably a real ad that they have prepared in case a deal happens and they are ready to go but was put on the website in error.

FSG would look really stupid after digging their heels in the summer to sell him now so quickly after the VVD deal.

I just can't see it happening especially after City's dropped points today putting us back in the title race.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I just can't see it happening especially after City's dropped points today putting us back in the title race.

Boom boom :-)

murpho999 wrote: »
    Coutinho has shown no signs of being unhappy or unsettled.

Arguably having his best season with us.

I don't think he'll go next month, I think the Nike thing is just a mistake. Probably a real ad that they have prepared in case a deal happens and they are ready to go but was put on the website in error.

FSG would look really stupid after digging their heels in the summer to sell him now so quickly after the VVD deal.

His back problems??? And then playing for Brazil......
    Admitted he went about it better than VVD.....

At the end of the day if the player is not happy and the price is right for the club the deal will happen.

As I said none of us know what if any deal the club have done with the player....maybe the motivation for the great season is that he know he has to perform to get the move and amount X has to be paid. We as fans know nothing about what happens behind closed doors at the club.

His back problems??? And then playing for Brazil......
    Admitted he went about it better than VVD.....

At the end of the day if the player is not happy and the price is right for the club the deal will happen.

As I said none of us know what if any deal the club have done with the player....maybe the motivation for the great season is that he know he has to perform to get the move and amount X has to be paid. We as fans know nothing about what happens behind closed doors at the club.

That was when he was pushing for a transfer and was probably being ill-advised.
    Since he's come back into the side he's been nothing but top class and profesional
    He does not look unhappy in anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Fact is none of us know...but if anyone wants to tell me VVD didnt know during the summer that he would be moving in Dec. I will happily call you a liar.
    That doesn’t make sense. He knew he was leaving in Jan, so the club kept paying him and entered the season down the money and a CDF, and the player was dissatisfied and missed games?

If the fact is that none of us know, then “knowing” what the player knew, is just lying?

DSVhd4vWAAEBSMu.jpg:small

Liverpool respond to Nike leak.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

While I'd of course prefer if we always scored and never conceded a few more games like yesterday where we come from behind and grit it out would go someway to change the narrative of us as bottlers to one of battlers.

Narrative can be a powerful thing, the Mancs used to benefit from the popular narrative that they always scored late under fergie and that would feed into the crowd and and get into the minds of the opposing defenders.

We unfortunately have fostered such a negative narrative with our defence that as soon as we concede one goal we're like a veteran with PTSD after a loud bang rocking back and forth saying "its happening again" over and over. Of course we rarely concede first so its hard to rack up enough of the sort of narrative breaking/building wins we need.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Arsenal drop points to West Brom...more good news.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Great result that for us. A win tomorrow would be fantastic with Chelsea vs arsenal on Tuesday. Tough away game for United at Everton and spurs away to Swansea which could be tricky with the new manager bounce.

• Advertisement

Sitting pretty :pac:

Can anyone tell me how come Spurs have a game in hand?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Augeo wrote: »

Something about policing in North London and Arsenal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Because they didn't play this weekend. They'll have 2 games in hand after tomorrow but they play Tuesday and Thursday then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,516 ✭✭✭✭ArmaniJeanss

Their game v West Ham today was cancelled by police.
    Hence the curious times today of 12pm and 16.30 for the TV games, it was original a triple header.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Salah on my fantasy team showing up as only 75% chance of playing - Did he get a knock?

It's interesting looking at the cout situation in relation to this, I didnt really feel the need to replace him so urgently as others here, but if he was gone, and salah has a knock, mane at the ACN - You can see the options deplete very quickly. Its not unusual for 2/3 players to be injured. It's possible that famous top four could all be unavailable really easily!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

The discourse on Liverpool this season has mostly focussed on our incredible attack and leaky defence. One thing that hasn't been highlighted as much is how hard we are to beat. We've only been beaten twice in the league which is second only to Man City (Chelsea have four defeats, Man Utd three, Arsenal and Spurs five). And in the Champions League we're unbeaten (Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City all have one defeat, Spurs unbeaten).

We're now unbeaten in the league in 12 games since Spurs on October 22nd (W8, D4). We've scored the second highest number of goals but have only conceded the sixth fewest goals. Playing such attacking football will always leave us somewhat vulnerable but if we can make small improvements in defence and reduce the number of goals we concede we can turn some of those draws into wins.

This team has serious potential - Happy New Year!

Cheers chaps :)
    Thumbsup

Salah looked to me like he got injured celebrating his goal. Thought at the time he'd foot kinda snagged in the turf when was sliding on his knees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,319 ✭✭✭emo72

Tusky wrote: »
    The discourse on Liverpool this season has mostly focussed on our incredible attack and leaky defence. One thing that hasn't been highlighted as much is how hard we are to beat. We've only been beaten twice in the league which is second only to Man City (Chelsea have four defeats, Man Utd three, Arsenal and Spurs five). And in the Champions League we're unbeaten (Man Utd, Chelsea, Man City all have one defeat, Spurs unbeaten).

We're now unbeaten in the league in 12 games since Spurs on October 22nd (W8, D4). We've scored the second highest number of goals but have only conceded the sixth fewest goals. Playing such attacking football will always leave us somewhat vulnerable but if we can make small improvements in defence and reduce the number of goals we concede we can turn some of those draws into wins.

and on that happy note, i'll see yis lads in 2018!

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

ardinn wrote: »
    Salah on my fantasy team showing up as only 75% chance of playing - Did he get a knock?

Limping slightly when taken off yesterday. Probably not serious (hopefully) but might not be risked tomorrow.

Tusky wrote: »

When you read Johnny Giles column you'd swear we were knocking around relegation zone if you didn't know what table looked like. The way he stuck the knife in after the almost nothing Chris Hughton incident was particularly odd.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Speak Now wrote: »
    When you read Johnny Giles column you'd swear we were knocking around relegation zone if you didn't know what table looked like. The way he stuck the knife in after the almost nothing Chris Hughton incident was particularly odd.

Finishing top four and getting to knock out stages of the Champions League should be seen as a good season - it's progress. It's been a long time since we qualified for the Champions League two years in a row.

Yeah he seems happy enough to me.

"Keeping him against his will" is Maud Flanders histeria.

I'd love to be kept against my will at 200k a week!

Arsenal drop points to West Brom...more good news.

Good news indeed but I think our squad is good enough to kick on and chase those in front and forget about those behind us.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,301 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Liverpool don't need to make any early deals with barcelona. We would be foolish to agree a deal now considering his form and a world cup to come. He is crucial imo to our top 4 position and we don't need to mention the revenue and progression on the pitch that brings.

He's south American they dream of playing for real or Barca, it's naive if we think we can hold onto him, there is a football food chain it's just the reality of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

If Coutinho acts the bollix it could be difficult alright though.....I hope he stays be we could do without the drama of last summer in mid-season. I have no problem with letting the player go in the summer, well I do but in reality we have to eventually accept he deserves a move. Hopefully a compromise is reached where everyone is equally fairly happy/unhappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Speak Now wrote: »

Giles is past it, becoming senile by the sounds of him, keeps repeating himself. he has not a clue about the modern game, he slates (like that other fool Dunphy) the likes of Pogba, when it is obvious that he makes a significant difference to an average man utd side.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

rob316 wrote: »

He's south American they dream of playing for real or Barca, it's naive if we think we can hold onto him, there is a football food chain it's just the reality of it.

I bet if Coutinho was playing for man utd, city or Chelsea there would be little talk of him being south American and the dream is to play for Barca/real. Aguero has been arguably one of the best strikers in Europe over the past 5-6 years yet very little interest or media hype about him going to the big 2 in Spain. Coutinho on the other hand it's been non-stop since about 2014

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

rossie1977 wrote: »
    I bet if Coutinho was playing for man utd, city or Chelsea there would be little talk of him being south American and the dream is to play for Barca/real. Aguero has been arguably one of the best strikers in Europe over the past 5-6 years yet very little interest or media hype about him going to the big 2 in Spain. Coutinho on the other hand it's been non-stop since about 2014

Coutinho has Barca DNA though.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

NukaCola wrote: »
    Coutinho has Barca DNA though.....

Hey Barca...

Do
    Not
    Approach

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement