Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

http://www.goal.com/en-gb/amp/news/philippe-coutinho-pushes-liverpool-to-consider-a-british/1fy288nv8hev916lh7tx39f8tk?__twitter_impression=true

The above is a link to the Melissa Reddy article. Seems to back up what Ballague has been saying.

Think she is quite well connected?

Hopefully we have a deal for a suitable replacement lined up.

And pearce saying the same thing as well, so quite likely it is or will be done quite soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

brevity wrote: »
    I'm sure there are Barca fans who are disgusted with the behaviour of the board. I know some find the Qatar deal abhorrent and are demanding that Bartomeu steps down.

The whole thing is disappointing really.

If the majority of Barca fans felt that way they have the power as owners to fix it.

But they aren't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

What good is Coutinho to Barca this side of the summer? They already have the League wrapped up, he is CL cup tied. They are in a good place. If he goes and yes he probably will, then we should be waiting until the summer for sure. We've built up pretty decent head of steam last few weeks and with more additions could be a decent season.

Lets hope that common sense prevails. Hardly any point in being so adamant about keeping him in august then letting him go mid season.

Although Southampton did the same with VVD!

If we hadn't made the knock out stages of the CL I'd say there would be a chance of him leaving in January but I don't see him leaving now.

As others have said though there could be a Keita deal put in place.

If there is a Keita deal put in place in January and we were to meet Barcelona in the next round of the CL where would his commitments lie??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Flanagan assaulted a woman.

Fire the pr1ck now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

You'd think in his position he'd just keep his head down & run out his contract; essentially contributing nothing but not causing trouble.
    He's a bit old to use the too much too soon excuse with money but I can't see him ever amounting to much after Burnley discarded him so fast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Je suis jean I hope for your sake you're a lawyer irl because if not you are living out a weird fantasy here on boards :D

Milkers wrote: »
    Je suis jean I hope for your sake you're a lawyer irl because if not you are living out a weird fantasy here on boards :D

What? Boards isn't fantasy land???? :p

Let's just say I'm more of a lawyer than the experts who claim (without any actual basis) that Nike should be sued blah blah blah

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

So when do we all expect to see Virgil start a game, I reckon it'll be away to Swansea,
    Can't see Jurgen throwing him in against City likely hood is they will beat us and people will be on VVD back already saying he hasn't made a difference,

Not at all, we own City at Anfield! We will be taking their unbeaten run, I was thrilled Palace missed that pen so that we can have the honour of beating them first! Not sure on when VVD will be chucked in, not sure how his fitness is but I'd love to see him ASAP maybe even Friday night!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Hopefully get a deal sorted for Lemar before we announce any Coutinho sale to Barca in the summer.

You'd want to be getting 50m+ more for Coutinho than Lemar is bought for, really, but that might be tough once the financials of the Coutinho sale are announced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Flanagan assaulted a woman.

Fire the pr1ck now.

Wait until a sentence is imposed and process is complete.

Strange case, the woman in question is his girlfriend whom he is still in a relationship with

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That's not strange at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

It would be so naive of Liverpool to agree a deal for Coutinho now. With the WC coming up, if he's injury free he'll be a star and his price will shoot up.
    I have no problem him leaving in July, but wait till then.

Melissa reddy is saying that we are ready to do a keita type deal for him, in that we agree everything with them now and he joins them in the summer

I can see the logic of it but would it not create a conflict of interest if we draw Barca in the CL? You can't have a player playing for one team who is contracted to join the other team in a few months. That would put Coutinho in an impossible position and is exactly why loanees are not permitted to play against their parent clubs in the PL.

I guess the issue must have been addressed to everyone's satisfaction when we signed Kieta as at that time weren't both teams in the CL and therefore a chance they could meet in the latter stages?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

murpho999 wrote: »
    Wait until a sentence is imposed and process is complete.

Strange case, the woman in question is his girlfriend whom he is still in a relationship with

Why wait he has plead guilty to assault he isn't contesting or denying he assaulted her.

If you are happy with him at the club good for you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

It would be so naive of Liverpool to agree a deal for Coutinho now. With the WC coming up, if he's injury free he'll be a star and his price will shoot up.

It won't though unless some other club else makes it a race to sign him and there is no suggestion of that. Maybe PSG will be prompted to express an interest if this rumourmongering is based on fact, if so then the auction can take place in January. The other thing is that if the worst happens and Coutinho gets injured and is off for months then it won;t have an effect on his value (assuming there are no clauses about that)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I think in this day and age, performing well in the world cup means very little. Clubs see players perform week in week out at their clubs, 5 or 6 performances at a world cup is unlikely to change much, especially for well established players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Knex. wrote: »
    Hopefully get a deal sorted for Lemar before we announce any Coutinho sale to Barca in the summer.

You'd want to be getting 50m+ more for Coutinho than Lemar is bought for, really, but that might be tough once the financials of the Coutinho sale are announced.

Defo agree with this cause i can see Barca wanting to put in a shed load of clauses to the deal and pay very little upfront

Why wait he has plead guilty to assault he isn't contesting or denying he assaulted her.

The judges words:

'This is a prolonged attack according to the report of the CCTV, and it involves a kick. To me it is a category 2 offence and I think I am going to need a report.

'It is not that simple in domestic violence, they are in a relationship and presumably in love, yet this young lady has been shown a significant degree of violence.'

She told the footballer that he would face a community penalty, adding: '

'I need to be reassured that these circumstances will never be repeated again.'

The two of them were drunk on a night out. Happened at 03:10 in the morning in the city.

Strange words to say that it was a prolonged attack and it involves a kick.

What was the rest of the prolonged attack?? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

WTF

Where did he say that?

Strawman ahoy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

I think in this day and age, performing well in the world cup means very little. Clubs see players perform week in week out at their clubs, 5 or 6 performances at a world cup is unlikely to change much, especially for well established players.

Considering how much Sissokos valuation increased after the euros not sure how true that is. Remember the media and fans singing Joe Allen's praises after his performances for Wales, you would sweat he was Messi :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Judge in the Jon Flanagan case......“I have been given a detailed breakdown of that CCTV footage which shows that you assaulted this young lady not just once but on several occasions during that few minutes in the early hours, once involving your foot…"

Absolute scum.

I'll let the courts judge him rather than internet posters.

So I'd rather wait till the judgement is passed. and the process is complete.

Do you think his career should be ruined if he just gets the probation act?

If he won the golden boot it would add another 10 million to his price probably.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Judge in the Jon Flanagan case......“I have been given a detailed breakdown of that CCTV footage which shows that you assaulted this young lady not just once but on several occasions during that few minutes in the early hours, once involving your foot…"

Absolute scum.

Bloody hell. Career with LFC certainly over I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭GBX

If Klopp didnt want Sahko after what would seem minor issues, I cant see Flannagan staying now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

I'll let the courts judge him rather than internet posters.

So I'd rather wait till the judgement is passed. and the process is complete.

Do you think his career should be ruined if he just gets the probation act?

He plead guilty....any judgement is just a formality with him getting a sentence for his admitted guilt that fits his crime. I think its ok to think its disgusting based on his guilty plea. He has no career with us anyway but even if he did we should get rid. Horrible stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

If Flanno actually did that LFC will drop him like nobodys business, they dont want to be seen supporting assault.

NukaCola wrote: »
    He plead guilty....any judgement is just a formality with him getting a sentence for his admitted guilt that fits his crime. I think its ok to think its disgusting based on his guilty plea. He has no career with us anyway but even if he did we should get rid. Horrible stuff.

Well I don't think he's convicted officially until judgement is passed so the club will have to wait.

Strange that he's still in a relationship with her but she has pressed charges.

Vicxas wrote: »
    If Flanno actually did that LFC will drop him like nobodys business, they dont want to be seen supporting assault.

He's pleaded guilty I think

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

rossie1977 wrote: »
    Considering how much Sissokos valuation increased after the euros not sure how true that is. Remember the media and fans singing Joe Allen's praises after his performances for Wales, you would sweat he was Messi :)

I suppose that is true but Coutinho is at a far higher level than Allen or Sissoko, not sure he is going to increase in value too much based on probably 3/4 competitive games in the World Cup.

Agreeing a fee now is likely to cost Barca more than waiting til the summer I would have thought, plus the club has certainty over the fee and budget for a suitable replacement.

With Coutinho set on moving, our position is not that strong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

How many people have watched Lemar ? is he any where near the level of Cou ?
    I

Well I don't think he's convicted officially until judgement is passed so the club will have to wait.

Strange that he's still in a relationship with her but she has pressed charges.

Not sure if she has pressed charges. It was identified on CCTV and it looks like the judge is basing it off this.

Just read that in England the police themselves can decide to press charges in a case of domestic violence.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone noticed still no word on Clyne,
    Iv a feeling he wont appear again this season and will be sold in the summer,
    Is it just me or is there very little ever said about him by Jurgen , something just doesn't sit right with it ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,801 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Flanagan is 25 now and it's not like he was knocking on the door of the first team anyway, so he's no great loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,438 ✭✭✭livinginkorea

Flanagan pleads guilty I wonder is that him done at the club now.

Terminate his contract and let him go.
    Totally agree.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

Flanagan is 25 now and it's not like he was knocking on the door of the first team anyway, so he's no great loss.

If it was Phil, Mo or any other player who assaulted their missus, I'd want them out of the club also. Him offering nothing on the football side of things shouldn't come into the decision imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

I don't know Flannagan's character, but good people do bad things. You'd like to think that this wouldn't be a career ending act, that he'll have a chance after this to demonstrate he's better than that, that he just made a mistake. It's up to him then to take that chance.

That said, he assaulted a woman. For that action, and so as not to facilitate any sort of normalising of such an act, I do think he should be sacked.

The difficulty is that whatever rule is applied to John Flanagan should also be applied to any other player at the club. Would Coutinho be sacked? VVD? Sarah? Obviously not, just as Suarez wasn't when he would and should have been in any other industry. For this reason I'd suggest that while I would support his sacking, it would also be a huge contradiction

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

LiamoSail wrote: »
    I don't know Flannagan's character, but good people do bad things. You'd like to think that this wouldn't be a career ending act, that he'll have a chance after this to demonstrate he's better than that, that he just made a mistake. It's up to him then to take that chance.

That said, he assaulted a woman. For that action, and so as not to facilitate any sort of normalising of such an act, I do think he should be sacked.

The difficulty is that whatever rule is applied to John Flanagan should also be applied to any other player at the club. Would Coutinho be sacked? VVD? Sarah? Obviously not, just as Suarez wasn't when he would and should have been in any other industry. For this reason I'd suggest that while I would support his sacking, it would also be a huge contradiction

It could be a case of not having the power to sack him, really and truly depends on what is in his contract. I mean at the end of the day the man has to be allowed to make a living. If it happened and he wasn't famous i wouldn't see him getting the sack. So I don't think the club will sack him even though what he did was a horrible act.

If it was Phil, Mo or any other player who assaulted their missus, I'd want them out of the club also. Him offering nothing on the football side of things shouldn't come into the decision imo.

If it was Coutinho or Salah the likelihood is the majority of the fan base would pick up on whatever excuse/extenuating circumstances were offered in mitigation and defend the player to the hilt.

I didn't see many calls for Suarez to be sacked when he bit Ivanovic or racially abused Evra

Here we go :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Leave Sarah alone she didnt do anything wrong :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Jon Flanagan is a scumbag.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

If it was Coutinho or Salah the likelihood is the majority of the fan base would pick up on whatever excuse/extenuating circumstances were offered in mitigation and defend the player to the hilt.

I didn't see many calls for Suarez to be sacked when he bit Ivanovic or racially abused Evra

Or Firmino being caught drunk driving. The club dealt with it 'in house' and his punishment wouldn't involve missing games.

We all know there are different rules based on how valuable they are when it comes to sports.
    Star player messes up - we can deal with this
    Rookie/not valuable player messes up - pack your bags

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

I couldn't give a gee if your theory is correct. I'd want them out of the club if they had done the same as Flanno. As would most right-minded people. IMO.

It could be a case of not having the power to sack him, really and truly depends on what is in his contract. I mean at the end of the day the man has to be allowed to make a living. If it happened and he wasn't famous i wouldn't see him getting the sack. So I don't think the club will sack him even though what he did was a horrible act.

Yea I mean obviously I don't know the ins and outs of his contract. What's labelled as sacking could simply be paying up his contract and releasing him.

I disagree regarding were he not famous. I think you can be sacked from a job if you're convicted of an offence or found to have behaved in a manner that could reflect negatively on your employer. Again, probably all depends on your employment contract

I couldn't give a gee if your theory is correct. I'd want them out of the club if they had done the same as Flanno. As would most right-minded people. IMO.

I'd want them out too. My point is that that is what happened when a top player was involved. There wasn't significant cries for Suarez to be punted

Fromvert wrote: »
    Or Firmino being caught drunk driving. The club dealt with it 'in house' and his punishment wouldn't involve missing games.

We all know there are different rules based on how valuable they are when it comes to sports.
    Star player messes up - we can deal with this
    Rookie/not valuable player messes up - pack your bags

In January 2006 Djibril Cisse was cautioned for assaulting his pregnant wife.

In May he scored in the FA Cup final. Seeing as we were losing 2-0 at the time I'm sure everyone cheered when the goal went in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Surely you can only compare players and the treatment they get if their crimes are the same?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

dogbert27 wrote: »
    In January 2006 Djibril Cisse was cautioned for assaulting his pregnant wife.

In May he scored in the FA Cup final. Seeing as we were losing 2-0 at the time I'm sure everyone cheered when the goal went in.

Had forgot that one and I'm sure there's a lot more over the years where we've cheered for players who have done things we don't agree with.

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'd want them out too. My point is that that is what happened when a top player was involved. There wasn't significant cries for Suarez to be punted

If he admitted doing it in a court of law to a woman in public while drunk I doubt anyone would defend him. What Suarez did was deny saying something to a man utd player on the pitch in an fa court that finds 99% guilty. Somewhat different matter.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement