Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

LiamoSail wrote: »
    If it was Coutinho or Salah the likelihood is the majority of the fan base would pick up on whatever excuse/extenuating circumstances were offered in mitigation and defend the player to the hilt.

I didn't see many calls for Suarez to be sacked when he bit Ivanovic or racially abused Evra
    Don't think anyone in their right mind would argue with cctv footage and a guilty plea. Couldn't give a **** if it was Coutinho or Salah either, and they'd deserve any sentence they'd get just as Jon does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Don't think anyone in their right mind would argue with cctv footage and a guilty plea. Couldn't give a **** if it was Coutinho or Salah either, and they'd deserve any sentence they'd get just as Jon does.

He's not going to get a sentence.

The judge labelled it as a Category 2 common assault which means he'll get community service.

dogbert27 wrote: »
    He's not going to get a sentence.

The judge labelled it as a Category 2 common assault which means he'll get community service.

Ya know what I mean. To rephrase, whatever punishment is deemed necessary.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,844 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Anyone know if there's any news on Can ?
    He's been playing well recently and such a shame to lose him on a free, I much prefer seeing him in the team than Hendo and has everything to be a proper number 6 that we need,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Nobody is disputing that he'll deserve his sentence. The dispute is about whether he should be sacked.

I don't think there'd be many calling for it were it Coutinho or Salah on the basis that there wasn't when Suarez bit/racially abused another player, albeit not as clear cut

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Anyone know if there's any news on Can ?
    He's been playing well recently

He has?

I mean I give him credit as I don't think he's downed tools or anything but he's been giving the standard Can performance of late. Gives the ball away a lot, slow to move the ball, slow and lumbering on his feet, etc. Occasionally with open grass ahead of him he can get up a head of steam and go on a barnstorming run up the field alright.

I don't think he's nimble enough on his feet to play DM long term. Too slow on the turn and in changing direction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bit of a moot point considering Salah/Coutinho didn't do it, so no point speculating what the reaction would be if they hypothetically did something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bit of a moot point considering Salah/Coutinho didn't do it, so no point speculating what the reaction would be if they hypothetically did something.

Especially based on how different people treated a different player for a different crime.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The Guardian is reporting we would want a minimum of €155m for Coutinho making him the second most expensive player in history before we would contemplate a deal .

I could live with that if Lemar cost Max €100m and the other €55m was put into a keeper.

I don't think it is moot as disciplinary action taken by the club should be measured against his actions rather than his abilities on the pitch. The standard needs to be consistent, yet obviously the club could never sack a big name. It's a catch 22

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

The Guardian is reporting we would want a minimum of €155m for Coutinho making him the second most expensive player in history.

I could live with that if Lemar cost Max €100m and the other €55m was put into a keeper.

If Van Dijk is a £77 million pound player then Coutinho has to be worth somewhere in the region of £150-200 million.
    Lets see how badly Barca want him, let the Club name it's price and have no negotiating. I think we all accept that PC will be moving during this window and not the summer.

The Guardian is reporting we would want a minimum of €155m for Coutinho making him the second most expensive player in history.

Was hoping for an offer more in the line of €180m. €155m doesn't sound like anything we couldn't have got last summer. Given this is January, we should be cleaning them out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Was hoping for an offer more in the line of €180m. €155m doesn't sound like anything we couldn't have got last summer. Given this is January, we should be cleaning them out.

It depends I guess on if Phil and his team are doing the pushing now why would Barcelona offer more.

They know they've turned his head and for them it's a waiting game. They got him to hand in the transfer request in the summer and have an August "injury" that miraculously got cured on international duty.

5starpool wrote: »
    If he admitted doing it in a court of law to a woman in public while drunk I doubt anyone would defend him. What Suarez did was deny saying something to a man utd player on the pitch in an fa court that finds 99% guilty. Somewhat different matter.

Yea that's absolutely true, though I was referring to his bites as well which were probably closer aligned to Flannagans actions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Last summers best bid was €90m and €40m add ons. The thing for Liverpool is to get €155m with no add-ons included as part of that amount and to get at least €120m of it in one go (why am I typing in euros?)

I'm honestly fine with Coutinho leaving in the summer, he's near irreplaceable but someone like Lemar would be a very good substitute, and he's like 4 years younger. Leaving this month would leave us in a bad way though, we're in a great position and just signed our target CB, should be aiming for a big second half to the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Can.tends to play well in the final 15-20 mins of each game ,his power is evident,never starts games like that

Head to head points tally is +6 and +13 g/d (including swapsies for promoted/relegated sides)

https://i.imgur.com/KQr4vTo.png

So basically for the sh1t season we having by all accounts we are 6 points and 13 goals better off than this time last season?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

So basically for the sh1t season we having by all accounts we are 6 points and 13 goals better off than this time last season?

Who said we are having a **** season?

• Advertisement

Tusky wrote: »
    Who said we are having a **** season?

Plenty read back over the threads since the start of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

We are doing quite well, the draws are a killer though, I think people are frustrated with them and the manner we seemed to throw good points away with individual mistakes. That being said we are on par with last year in terms of this time last year we are on similar points haul with the added CL knockout stages to look forward to its hard to be too negative.

I wouldn't take much notice of lads venting after poor results or during difficult games, its tough to watch Liverpool sometimes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Plenty read back over the threads since the start of the season.

Most people have heaped praise on our attack and been left extremely frustrated by dropped points due to individual errors at the back. That's fair comment.

The team has done well but has a lot more potential I reckon - we've pretty much outplayed everyone we've faced (City and Spurs aside). We should really be aiming to be second in the table as the teams above us haven't really been at their best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/philippe-coutinho-confident-he-has-played-his-last-game-for-liverpool-amid-barcelona-saga-s0vk0rv66

Joyce: Philippe Coutinho confident he has played his last game for Liverpool amid Barcelona saga

Well, that's not good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Tusky wrote: »

The team has done well but has a lot more potential I reckon - we've pretty much outplayed everyone we've faced (City and Spurs aside). We should really be aiming to be second in the table as the teams above us haven't really been at their best.

1 team above us haven't been at there best

Pity if Phil phucks the season up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Article
    Philippe Coutinho believes he has played his last game for Liverpool, but it will take an offer in the region of €150 million [about £133 million] from Barcelona if the Anfield club is to consider letting him leave this month.

Liverpool’s public refusal to recommit to their stance of the summer when the player was not for sale at any price has raised Coutinho’s hopes he can finally make a move to the Nou Camp.

He is already preparing the way to quit the club he joined for £8.5 million in January 2013 from Inter Milan, but the onus is on Barcelona to now back up their long-term pursuit of Coutinho having had three bids rejected in the summer.

The last of those offers was for £118 million, and included add-ons worth £36 million which would only be triggered if Coutinho reached personal landmarks such as winning the Ballon d’Or.

It would take an improved overall offer, and a more realistic package, to start a conversation with Liverpool, but it continues to be significant that the Premier League club will not say the player is not for sale.

Barcelona paid an initial £96.8 million, potentially rising to £135.5 million, when signing Ousmane Dembélé from Borussia Dortmund in the summer.

Coutinho missed the New Year’s Day victory over Burnley with a minor thigh injury, but he did not play throughout the August transfer window due to a back problem as Barcelona repeatedly tried to force Liverpool’s hand.

He is also rated as a doubt for Friday’s FA Cup third round tie with neighbours Everton and there will be concern that any issue could linger while the window is open.

Jürgen Klopp was asked about the Nike advert advertising Barcelona shirts with Coutinho’s name on them – the Brazilian is sponsored by the sportswear company and a link to the advert appeared on the Catalan club’s website – during his post-match press conference at Turf Moor, but was again dismissive of the topic.

I couldn’t be less interested in anything in the world, but somebody told me and I thought, ‘Wow’ “I couldn’t be less interested in anything in the world, but somebody told me and I thought, ‘Wow’,” said the Liverpool manager.

He has consistently rebuffed any attempt to discuss Coutinho’s long-term future even when it was put to him that Liverpool’s season is at such stage that sanctioning the 25-year-old’s departure could adversely affect attempts to remain in the top four of the Premier League and hinder their Champions League campaign. Liverpool face Porto in the last 16 next month.

Coutinho is unable to play for Barcelona in Europe, and coach Ernesto Valverde’s side are nine points clear at the summit of La Liga.

However, it is clear Coutinho wants to leave in this transfer window and a report in Spain today indicated that he has told Liverpool he does not want to play for them again.

The saga is now dependent on two things: Barcelona’s next bid but also Liverpool’s response.

That, in itself, indicates a sea-change by Anfield officials whose stance was clearly defined from the moment Mike Gordon, president of Fenway Sports Group, told Coutinho he would not leave in the summer window during face to face talks at the start of August.

Klopp was asked last Friday about risking Liverpool’s season by selling Coutinho and his reluctance to discuss the matter.

He said: “I try to be honest but you know that in January and all the next transfer windows I don’t talk about that. Phil especially. There is nothing to say.

“The transfer window starts on 1 January and a few things will happen at other clubs. Something has happened at our club already [Virgil van Dijk signing]. I have nothing to say about it. The only thing I am interested in is how is Phil playing at the moment?

“I was really happy about the last few performances and his impact. He showed his character in the games and in the training sessions. He was spot on. That is what I am interested in. All the rest I can’t and I am not interested in talking about because if I open the door you [the media] will run all the way through. There is nothing to say.

“In my business it makes absolutely no sense to talk about things that could maybe happen because that creates stories that are 90 per cent of the time not true. Why should I do that? I will never do it to be honest.”

It was then specifically put to Klopp that he could end the Coutinho-Barcelona saga by saying he was not leaving.

“Then I would say something. You can write whatever you want, sorry,” he added.

He's been professional as a player but he really is making himself look like a príck.

He's been at the club 5 years, the best player at the club, getting the armband a few times this season, no Champions League games if he leaves this month, and he's all but guaranteed his dream move this summer, yet he's trying to leave on the worst terms possible anyway.

Knex. wrote: »
    https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/philippe-coutinho-confident-he-has-played-his-last-game-for-liverpool-amid-barcelona-saga-s0vk0rv66

Joyce: Philippe Coutinho confident he has played his last game for Liverpool amid Barcelona saga

Well, that's not good.

Joyce has been reliable for a lot of stuff......he normally gets it right.

• Advertisement

He's been professional as a player but he really is making himself look like a príck.

He's been at the club 5 years, the best player at the club, getting the armband a few times this season, no Champions League games if he leaves this month, and he's all but guaranteed his dream move this summer, yet he's trying to leave on the worst terms possible anyway.

From his point of view, he got the head down and played well, he's now in a position where his place for the WC is probably set in stone so he can maybe act the maggot a bit and go on strike. Shame.

Knex. wrote: »

Well, that's not good.

Seems bizarre how he's so desperate to leave in January. Barcelona practically have the league wrapped up and he can't play in the CL for them. Actually got much more to play for at Liverpool if he stayed until the Summer. Can't get my head around it.

Either way I think the club have to be firm here and tell him he's going nowhere until the Summer. Far too much at stake in the 2nd half of the season between the hunt for top 4 and the remainder of the CL campaign.

I don't think there's any chance the club let him leave this month, I'm just not up for another month of him trying to sit out games with fake injuries when we need him to play.

In the end either the player downs tools or he stays and plays and Barca can wait. FSG just need to stay as strong now as in August and he'll get on with it as he knows not playing to his natural level will not actually help him.

If he really is acting like that he knows now even if we don't sell and him and bin to the reserves he will go next summer and Brazil will still pick him for the World Cup no matter.

Part of me would love to see FSG put him on gardening leave for the next 4 years if he really is acting up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I think he'll be gone by the end of the window. I think the club is briefing a price to the usual journalists for the benefit of Barca. I kind of think the return to fitness of Lallana makes Coutinho leaving more palatable to Klopp et al. I get the feeling Klopp would rather a player who wants to leave, leaves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

Not a single word from Coutinho in that article, nothing in it other than guff that has been around for the last few days, plus a punt by the author that Cout is off.

Cout could very well be off , but that article doesnt really make me change me believe any more that it will be this transfer window

I'd hope we have some sort of plan in place. If VVD in and Phil out is the only business done in Jan I can see a lot of people losing their minds.

Not a single word from Coutinho in that article, nothing in it other than guff that has been around for the last few days, plus a punt by the author that Cout is off.

Cout could very well be off , but that article doesnt really make me change me believe any more that it will be this transfer window

Paul Joyce probably the most reliable Journo for LFC related news though. Not saying its 100% accurate but I think its true enough.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

I'm sick of hearing about it anyway. If he is going to go this month, sell him now, and don't have it dragging the fúck on.

No serious big club would sell their best player in January while they still have a lot to play for in the second half of the season. He'd be told in no uncertain terms that he's going nowhere until the Summer.

Only as astronomical bid would even be considered. Which is where we are I suppose.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

No serious big club would sell their best player in January while they still have a lot to play for in the second half of the season. He'd be told in no uncertain terms that he's going nowhere until the Summer.

Only as astronomical bid would even be considered. Which is where we are I suppose.

Exactly the club would look so small time and pathetic if we were to sell him this window. And if we did end up failing to qualify for champions league then the knives will be out for FSG.

It really would be 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. I have no problems selling him in the summer but selling now would be complete and utter madness.

NukaCola wrote: »
    Joyce has been reliable for a lot of stuff......he normally gets it right.

He could be right and the player could still say. Just because Coutinho believes Barca will pay what the club want doesn't mean Barca will pay it.

Obviously they want him but I don't think they'll match the valuation.

As an aside, an clause in a transfer dependent upon a player winning a Ballon Dor should be laughed out the door given the politics involved in the award

ricero wrote: »
    Exactly the club would look so small time and pathetic if we were to sell him this window. And if we did end up failing to qualify for champions league then the knives will be out for FSG.

It really would be 1 step forward and 2 steps backwards. I have no problems selling him in the summer but selling now would be complete and utter madness.

If Coutinho believes he's played his last game for Liverpool and subsequently refuses to play for the rest of the season, what benefit is there to keeping him?

And to be honest, the only people who will have the knives out for FSG are a bunch of no-marks on twitter with about as much influence as a wet sock.

You are right though, losing him will be a massive blow to our aspirations this season but I'll be placing my resentment squarely at Coutinho.

5starpool wrote: »
    I'm sick of hearing about it anyway. If he is going to go this month, sell him now, and don't have it dragging the fúck on.

Absolutely.

However, I'd only sell if we've a top class replacement lined up.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Absolutely.

Of course. That would be the only acceptable reason for not selling until the 29th or whatever, if we could actually buy someone who would be seen as a replacement. If we do a deal to sell in the summer like the Keita deal, I'd rather not hear about it until May as well. The less disruption the better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Absolutely.

If we were to bring in lemar or mahrez this window then i have no problem doing a keita type deal with barcelona.

Bring Luis home :P

PSG might be tempted with a £60m bid for Draxler he isn't get much game time for them this season and they need to balance the books.

Lemar is an option but Monaco don't want to sell till the summer.

Replace Coutinho with one or both of them would be good use of the money we can get from Barca.

ricero wrote: »
    If we were to bring in lemar or mahrez this window then i have no problem doing a keita type deal with barcelona.

Lemar is CL tied no?

On Mahrez, I couldn't see it. When we played Leicester we got so much joy down his wing as he did nothing defensively, I doubt that went unnoticed with Klopp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Why are you looking for quotes from the player?

Where there any from VVD before he joined us?

This is about the hierarchies of both clubs.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement