Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 781 ✭✭✭davyboy1975

Love these two quotes from Chris Bascombe

One thing worth making absolutely clear. IF Coutinho goes in January, it is Klopp’s decision.

Chris Bascombe @_ChrisBascombe 3m3 minutes ago
    Anyone thinking FSG would act against Klopp’s wishes must a) have lived under a rock for 2 yrs b) share the IQ of Donald Trump or c) both.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,030 ✭✭✭✭GBX

dogbert27 wrote: »
    If he's going to go this window we need to do the deal now so there is time to get someone else in.

If Barcelona drag this out to the last week of January then Liverpool have to tell them they can wait until the summer to come back again.

And no stupid deal with ridiculous add ons!

I doubt the board or Klopp will be waiting to start looking for a replacement.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

All this same stuff about coutinho won't play for the club again was said in the summer. Well he came back and played his best ever stuff for us. The same will happen again the club just need to be strong. Setting up a move now for the summer is the thing that all 3 parties barca, Liverpool and coutinho can get behind and is the ideal scenario.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

One thing worth making absolutely clear. IF Coutinho goes in January, it is Klopp’s decision.

Anyone thinking FSG would act against Klopp’s wishes must a) have lived under a rock for 2 yrs b) share the IQ of Donald Trump or c) both.

This.

Its the only reason I can think of why he would be sold mid season. If klopp thinks he can reinvest the money and make the squad stronger without affecting the starting XI then that's his throw of the dice. Its risky but I do trust him, he has lost many great players at Dortmund and replaced them.

Ideally if we sold for an unconditional £130m - on top of VVD I would like to see a quality GK, coutinho replacement (Lemar for £90m is the talk) and another promising young AM/ Midfielder.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm sure one poster here won't believe this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

rob316 wrote: »
    This.

Its the only reason I can think of why he would be sold mid season. If klopp thinks he can reinvest the money and make the squad stronger without affecting the starting XI then that's his throw of the dice. Its risky but I do trust him, he has lost many great players at Dortmund and replaced them.

Ideally if we sold for an unconditional £130m - on top of VVD I would like to see a quality GK, coutinho replacement (Lemar for £90m is the talk) and another promising young AM/ Midfielder.

I would love to get ndidi in as a holding midfielder. Great player and only 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭MentalMario

coutinho_benitez_inter_it.jpg

Rafa signed Phil. You learn something new every day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

If he ends up staying I can't see Coutinho going on strike and playing no football for 4 months ahead of a World Cup. That would really be cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If he goes I only think it will be because we get an offer large enough and Klopp doesn't want an unhappy player moping around the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Muahahaha wrote: »
    Yeah you see now I know you are just a bar stool lawyer by your above quote. If you knew anything about litigation you would know that the vast majority of cases never even get to court and are settled behind closed doors.

Seriously, when you're in a hole you should stop digging.

For a case to be settled there first of all has to be a case and filing a case in court is a public process. If you search the various court systems of the jurisdictions you think a case might be taken and find one let me know. (BTW I already confirmed I'm not a lawyer so I'm pretending to be one.)
    Have you any proof that no legal action has been initiated by FSG and/or New Balance? No, no you dont but yet here you are claiming they have no case.

So you want me to somehow prove a negative?

Cases filed in court are public documents. If a case had been filed we'd all know about it.
    yet here you are claiming they have no case. You are stating that no "laws or regulations" have been broken, that does not matter a jot in a civil case, it is damages the club and New Balance would be seeking, not some arbitrary proof of a law being broken. If company A does something to company B that can be proved to damage companies Bs income then there is a case for damages. "End of", as you say.

So, just to get what you are saying straight.

You are accepting that what Nike did does not break any laws or contracts and that doesn't "matter a jot" in civil cases as all Company A has to do is prove Company B did something (not something which breaks a contract or copyright or libel law etc) which damages Company B's income then Company B has a case against Company A for damages, "End of"?

Seriously, what world do you live in?

So if McDonalds open a restaurant beside a Supermac's restaurant and Supermac's income declines, Pat McDonagh can sue McDonalds for damages?

How about an even more relevant example: Last day of the season Liverpool are playing West Brom who need at least a point to stay in the PL and keep the Sky money coming in. It's a £50m game to West Brom as the difference in TV income between being in the PL and Championship is £50m.

VVD scores a bicycle kick in extra time to win the game 7-6 and West Brom are relegated.

West Brom promptly sue Liverpool for damaging their income and in some parallel universe where the defendant can be found guilty despite not breaking any laws or contracts the judge awards West Brom £50m payable by Liverpool.

Can we all have some of what you're smoking says John Henry to the Judge :D

Brazil will still pick Coutinho for the World Cup even if he sat at home playing FIFA for the next 5 months.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I'm sure one poster here won't believe this.

Should we just forget klopps statement in the summer that he has bosses and as to what they want.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Can the laywer talk get its own thread or PM chain or something.

With all due respect, I doubt anyone else really cares whether or not Liverpool have a case against Nike.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    If players really want the freedom then they should only sign one year contracts and suffer the drop in the wages they will get due to that stance.

Which most up and coming players would be happy to do but it's the clubs who don't want that as they would then lose the player FOC within 12 months so they tie them down to long term contracts.

It's a two way street but unfortunately it's an unbalanced system as a long term contract is enforceable by a player who loses form or is injured e.g. Flanno or Markovic etc but the reality is that whilst technically a club can force the player to honour the contract they can't force him to not have an undiagnosable "bad back" whenever he feels like throwing a sulk and they can't force him to play his best football or put 100% into training or matches etc.

Bottom line is that so long as clubs insist on putting players on long term contracts in order to protect potential transfer values the players will always hold most of the cards.

Knex. wrote: »

With all due respect, I doubt anyone else really cares whether or not Liverpool have a case against Nike.

Fair enough, I've said my piece on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I dunno what kinda player throws away the chance of CL glory to go sit out the CL with Barca. Klopp will look stupid if he sells. I know that if he says the words he's not leaving then you can take it to the bank. Hope he can confirm this next press conference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,385 ✭✭✭✭D'Agger

Knex. wrote: »

OBJECTION!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

People seem to forget that Coutinho refused to play already, going as far ruling himself out for two huge games against Hoffenheim......I wont be surprised if he'll do it for the whole of January too, he already has an "injury" doesn't he?

He's desperate for a move and does not care about the consequences to Liverpool which is his decision no matter how bad it looks. Either we keep him, he acts up for a month and continues to play, or refuses to play, or we sell and try to get a replacement, hopefully before he goes.

If we can get his replacement in I'd get the deal done in January. Its already head-wrecking and it only happened a day ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

I dunno what kinda player throws away the chance of CL glory to go sit out the CL with Barca. Klopp will look stupid if he sells. I know that if he says the words he's not leaving then you can take it to the bank. Hope he can confirm this next press conference.

How will he look stupid? Klopp has always moved players on who don't want to play for a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

I'm not so sure about that Brazilian keeper.

If he signs and hits a bad spell then having such a girly name will only make the inevitable memes even easier

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

ricero wrote:
    We will see if the club are or are not balancing the books if they dont spend the cash they make off of phil on his replacement and other parts of the squad that needs to be strenghtened. Just have a feeling van dijk was funded knowing coutinho was off this january.

It's easy to be negative all the time. If your proved correct you can shout I told you so. If your wrong you can claim to be happy that everything worked out and still warn that it might not.

It's a cowardly attitude.

It's FSG didn't wanna spend they wouldn't have spent. Instead of 75 million vvd they would have insisted on 20 million Keane back in the summer and used the vvd fallout as an excuse. If they didn't wanna spend then we wouldn't have thrown 40 million at a squad player in ox. We wouldn't have spent 45 million on a player that we are not signing until next summer.

Your negativity is just sad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Would Liverpool have told him in the summer that he can go in January?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,587 ✭✭✭✭Dont be at yourself

emmetkenny wrote: »
    How will he look stupid? Klopp has always moved players on who don't want to play for a club.

Didn't he run down Lewandowski's contract rather than sell him to Bayern?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Grayditch wrote:

Surely it's more likely they said next summer?

But it is coming across like they just ignored him

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mr.H wrote: »

Best way to deal with it. A lot of things can change in a few months which would leave those types of agreements void. Managers could leave, title challenges, top 4 challenges, club unable to agree a fee etc etc The fallout from not following through would be damaging an already strained relationship and possibly affecting a sale price if the player loses the plot completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Mr.H wrote: »
    Surely it's more likely they said next summer?

Maybe it was lost in translation

August 2017:
    Phil - "I want to go Barcelona"
    LFC - "Not this year Phil"

January 2018:
    Phil - "It's not 2017 anymore, I want to go to Barcelona"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Perhaps all parties knew exactly what was going to happen and when, in a week or two it could be Couts is in Barcelona and Lemar is in Liverpool.

The club have not issued any hands off warning have they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Grayditch wrote: »

I doubt they promised him because obviously you still have to get an offer that is acceptable. They might have told him that will will look at the situation again in January.

To be honest I don't think Barcelona have the money to pay what the club are looking for. Maybe Barcelona are hoping that Coutinho kicking up a stink again will lead Liverpool to drop their asking price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I doubt they promised him because obviously you still have to get an offer that is acceptable. They might have told him that will will look at the situation again in January.

To be honest I don't think Barcelona have the money to pay what the club are looking for. Maybe Barcelona are hoping that Coutinho kicking up a stink again will lead Liverpool to drop their asking price.

How do you work that out as they are one of the world's biggest clubs?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,792 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Think it's time to ignore all this Coutinho shyte till the situation is resolved.

I is getting very bored with it all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

The Mirror are saying Arsenal will let Alexis go for 25 Million... there you go, a replacement and 100 million in the bank!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

As much as I love Phil , I don't think its near as big a lose as Suarez
    Phil is a great player no doubt but he doesn't control games, I think his best position for the team is as one of the wide forwards, He runs out of steam in the middle and doesn't know how to slow a game down or control the tempo , Now he will score some worldies and have some amazing moments but I think its a huge part of our problem of game management,
    I think Phil over a season is light in a midfield 3 and we can't have that luxury , Don't get me wrong he is class but I really think him in the middle doesn't suit Liverpool ,
    We need a proper number 6  with Keita one side and Lallana/Ox the other ,we will be better balanced,
    I'm not trying to say he's no use here but I think the 150 million well spent will make us a better team , My one worry is we need someone who can fill in for Mane/Salah as we always had Phil to play there,
     Lemar would be great signing he isn't as creative as Phil but he's a better engine and not as light and possible suits us more than Phil does,.
    For example I think  one of the reasons Spurs midfield is better than ours is Erikson as a 3rd midfielder gets through more donkey work, he isn't quite as creative as Phil but his hard work makes spurs function better as a team ,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Didn't he run down Lewandowski's contract rather than sell him to Bayern?

Yeah lewandowski went to Bayern on a free could have been him wanting to pocket a decent signing on fee , honestly keep phil till the summer and tell him give it yoir all or you are going to be training alone until the world cup.

Phil is a great player no doubt but he doesn't control games, I think his best position for the team is as one of the wide forwards, He runs out of steam in the middle and doesn't know how to slow a game down or control the tempo , Now he will score some worldies and have some amazing moments but I think its a huge part of our problem of game management,
    I think Phil over a season is light in a midfield 3 and we can't have that luxury , Don't get me wrong he is class but I really think him in the middle doesn't suit Liverpool ,
    We need a proper number 6  with Keita one side and Lallana/Ox the other ,we will be better balanced,
    I'm not trying to say he's no use here but I think the 150 million well spent will make us a better team , My one worry is we need someone who can fill in for Mane/Salah as we always had Phil to play there,
     Lemar would be great signing he isn't as creative as Phil but he's a better engine and not as light and possible suits us more than Phil does,.
    For example I think  one of the reasons Spurs midfield is better than ours is Erikson as a 3rd midfielder gets through more donkey work, he isn't quite as creative as Phil but his hard work makes spurs function better as a team ,

yourdeadwright

dogbert27 wrote: »
    yourdeadwright
    you'redeadwright:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Yeah lewandowski went to Bayern on a free could have been him wanting to pocket a decent signing on fee , honestly keep phil till the summer and tell him give it yoir all or you are going to be training alone until the world cup.

At the time Lewa wanted to go to Bayern, BVB stuck their heels in and named their price which was very high. Bayern walked away and Lewa moved the next summer.

In Klopps world every player has a price if he has a replacement. If he has not idea how to balance the team a player will not be sold. However if he feels a player will not perform or will cause problems within the team he will sell without question.
    If Couts is sold it will only happen with Klopps OK. FSG respect and listen to him and have bought into his project.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    you'redeadwright:cool:

That's a different person

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

The Mirror are saying Arsenal will let Alexis go for 25 Million... there you go, a replacement and 100 million in the bank!

No chance of it, Chelsea or City only for him. Arsenal love selling to league rivals anyway.

It would be funny if he did get signed but his attitude smells too much for me. Pass.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

£25m +£1 for Sanchez :pac:

I'm surprised Barca aren't trying to get Sanchez for that price he knows the club or did he fall out with Messi.

• Advertisement

It would be funny if he did get signed but his attitude smells too much for me. Pass.

What attitude? Wanting to win?

I think he would be a great signing for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

The club have not issued any hands off warning have they?

As was said in that linked guardian article I don't think they'll do that this time even if they have no intention of accepting a bid. Coutinho could blow a gasket... they're better off telling him we'll listen to bids and if we get a fair bid we'll sell.

Public hands off statements saying he's not for sale at any price are a PR exercise for the fans that only antognise players.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd easily take Sanchez, his attitude has been shíte but to be fair to him he's playing for Arsenal.

Sanchez left cos he was sick of playing wide right as far as I remember and or being Neymars sub on the left when he really wanted to be front and central. Which would also be a problem for him at Liverpool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,335 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

Sanchez left cos he was sick of playing wide right as far as I remember and or being Neymars sub on the left when he really wanted to be front and central. Which would also be a problem for him at Liverpool.
    I think when motivated he does Fun Bobby's job as good as Bobby with more goals and Bobby can drop into The counts role . Would take their hand of at 25m

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

Firmino
    Mane---Sanchez---Salah

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

He was also 4 years younger back then, still a great play but a little less desirable right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Brazil will still pick Coutinho for the World Cup even if he sat at home playing FIFA for the next 5 months.

No doubt. But if he is rusty as **** after not actually playing for 5 months and horribly underperforms, he will have essentially ****ed himself and his country over, all for the sake of leaving 6 months earlier then we were gonna sell him anyway .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

On Sanchez and Barca, yeah, he was playing wide right and wasn't really hitting the heights expected from him.

Doubt he'd want to return or Barca would want him again, tbh.

^^^ 100% this.

Timing is poor though. Would be better to make that transition in the summer with a pre season etc

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement