Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

NukaCola wrote: »
    Any chance we'll try and push through the Keita deal in Jan?

RBL say no chance until the Summer. Pretty much what we should be doing with Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Any chance we'll try and push through the Keita deal in Jan?

Red Bull said during the week its a no go........

Think its time to make a cuppa and wait to see what happens. Makes no sense driving ourselves mad with what ifs....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Augeo wrote:
    I can't fathom why the little magician is so keen to leave this window.... unless he's genuinely worried it mightn't happen in the future due to injury or someother event / misfortune.

Maybe the truth is the little **** just doesn't wanna be here anymore.

People need to stop thinking he is a victim

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,182 ✭✭✭Sappy404

Augeo wrote: »
    I can't fathom why the little magician is so keen to leave this window.... unless he's genuinely worried it mightn't happen in the future due to injury or someother event / misfortune.

We'll pay big bucks for our next incoming players you'd reckon after Virgil thing and Phil's fee whatever it maybe.

He wanted to leave last window. He went on strike when we refused. Considering how much better off we'd be if we sold him in the Summer, I think it's likely we told him that we'd sell him in Jan if we got a replacement lined up and are honouring that deal. As valid as "but he has a contract, he needs to honour that" is, player power is too great a factor. The club are being pragmatic.

There's also the fact that he'd be getting a payrise, playing for arguably the biggest club in the world alongside the best player in the history of the game and very likely picking up a league winner's medal at the end of it. All of this would greatly raise his profile heading into the World Cup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

With Couthino going and Henderson injured I'd be surprised if a midfielder isn't brought in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Augeo wrote: »

Yeah it's mad really. The Summer is just over 4 months away. No time at all.

If he goes in January it will be because Klopp wants a disruptive player gone. Klopp is all about the team ethos and anything that gets in the way of that will be out the door.

That said my gut feeling is that selling Coutinho in January will cost us a top 4 spot and any outside chance of doing something in the CL.
    I don't think Phil is as important to us as some people think , He'll obviously need to be replaced  
    I said time and time again I think we will be more solid with out him ,the only worry is we have no cover for Mane/ Salah ,
    Again Phil can do some unreal stuff but I think we will cope with his loss better than people think ,Our starting 11 will be fine it's just if injuries hit our front 3 that we will really miss him ,
    So basically let him go but only if we have a replacement coming in to help out the front 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,555 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I just don't get the urgency for the deal to through this month. It benefits nobody.

Selling key players mid season and bringing in replacements is disruptive.

Why can't they do a deal this month with a move in the summer then everybody is happy? Surely Coutinho would be happy with that, gets his dream move and stays in CL.

Gives replacements a full pre-season to settle in and adapt to new team.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sappy404 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me: for FFP reasons, would this €150m need to be spent this financial year? If so, it might be better for the coffers if we got enough for Lemar/Aubameyang/Goretzka/Whoever and the rest in the summer.

Liverpool are under no pressure from PPG as far as I can see thanks to the backwash of sales like Sterling to City, extra gate revenue, the 2017/18 CL money and the boost in TV cash (its measured over a rolling three year period).
    If we can keep him till the summer looking unlikely Madrid could play a huge role in the transfer market they will be having a huge clear out and rebuild.

Madrid will be after Hazard as their big summer target I'd say, Bale and Benzema must both be on the way out with Kovacic and one other midfielder likely to follow. Wonder what they will want for Salah? ;)

I don't think Phil is as important to us as some people think , He'll obviously need to be replaced  
    I said time and time again I think we will be more solid with out him ,the only worry is we have no cover for Mane/ Salah ,
    Again Phil can do some unreal stuff but I think we will cope with his loss better than people think ,Our starting 11 will be fine it's just if injuries hit our front 3 that we will really miss him ,
    So basically let him go but only if we have a replacement coming in to help out the front 3

Selling our best player has rarely worked out well. In the short term anyway. Usually it has taken the club a while to get over a player of that quality leaving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

If we were out of the Champions league you could see why he might move now, as it is forget about it

Selling our best player has rarely worked out well. In the short term anyway. Usually it has taken the club a while to get over a player of that quality leaving.
    But we are not selling Salah ?
    Id agree if he was playing as a wide forward but in centre midfield it doesn't;t work for me, eye catching moments but against Chelsea and Arsenal recently you can see there is no control,
    As iv said many time our midfield is to light to have phil in the 3,  it doesn't work ,
    Every top team has a 3rd midfielder that does more work and controls a game better than Phil does, so if he is playing there which he has been I don't think its a great loss,
    I'll put my house on it he ends up a wide forward at Barcalona , moments of brilliance are great but we can't afford that luxury our midfield considering who our other 2 midfielders are,

• Registered Users Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭PhiloCypher

Could be the weather. He's suffered through it for the last 5 (?) years because of a lack of options and how well compensated he was, but with the finish line so close and Barca whispering in his ear , he's probably thought **** training and playing in the pissing rain, I'm done !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,949 ✭✭✭dogbert27

Knex. wrote: »
    https://twitter.com/MelissaReddy_/status/948876954173870080

€150m is too little, all things considered. I'm actually annoyed.

Bit of a crappy thing to write he has won no silverware in his 5 years here.

He missed a penalty in the shoot out in the League Cup Final and he didn't really turn up in the Europa League final.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Ya but I cant ever remember a time when we had so much attacking quality without Phil anyway. Salah, Firmino, Mane would start in the other top 5 teams.

When we sold Suarez we had only a young emerging Sterling and a Sturridge who it turns out is made of glass and playing as much as he did in 13/14 was anomaly.

I still think its mad selling him but it is what it is, we move on.
    So it looks like it'll be €90m on Lemar, so hopefully the rest on another MF and a bit extra thrown in for a no. 1 GK.

I have to say GK wise Nick Pope at Burnley has been hugely impressive. Serious shot stopper and commands his area well. Only 25 and has been roughed up in the lower leagues. That was some save from Ox's shot the other day and he was very good against United too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

rob316 wrote: »

I have to say GK wise Nick Pope at Burnley has been hugely impressive. Serious shot stopper and commands his area well. Only 25 and has been roughed up in the lower leagues. That was some save from Ox's shot the other day and he was very good against United too.
    I wasn't impressed with Pope last week at all. He was stuck to his line for every corner and free we threw into the box, including the late one for the goal. Is covered very well by the centre backs from what I can see.

Can't see us rushing through a big deal in January, we haven't seen that happen at all in recent years, and given Klopp's reluctance to sign a plan B instead of VVD, I can't see us signing a shorter term deal with a player that is not a top target either. In brief, I can't see any signing in January.

Re:the loan deals, Woodburn was linked to Sunderland yesterday. Unless Coleman has rooted out the drinking culture at the club, this is a poor environment to send a young lad.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The club are freezing ticket prices for next season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

To be fair he is amazing but is he really our best stand out player? I would say Salah is pushing hard for that accolade and winning. Mane and firmino also are not that far behind. Lallana also has it in him to be a huge player for us.

Phil is not as vital as previous best players where

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

Mr.H wrote: »
    To be fair he is amazing but is he really our best stand out player? I would say Salah is pushing hard for that accolade and winning. Mane and firmino also are not that far behind. Lallana also has it in him to be a huge player for us.

I wonder how lallana would work as a number 10 in front of two mfs. I think that could be the solution , he would offering more then Phil in terms of pressing and trying to win the ball higher up the pitch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭doc_17

Lallana is good at times but offen takes him time to play his way into form after returning from injury. He isn’t close to being a reliable replacement for Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

It doesn't really matter if he's the (hard to quantify) best player we have, the import thing is it would be noticeably more difficult to win games without him if he leaves in January.

Also once again for good measure...

F**k FC Barcelona.

• Advertisement

Grayditch wrote: »
    It doesn't really matter if he's the (hard to quantify) best player we have, the import thing is it would be noticeably more difficult to win games without him if he leaves in January.

Also once again for good measure...

F**k FC Barcelona.

Indeed, he's no doubt integral to our success so far this season (and arsenal are the only somewhat decent team we've beaten iirc).

He'll be a huge loss.

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/transfers/liverpool-transfer-news-philippe-coutinho-barcelona-fee-club-record-deal-a8141641.html

As an aside newspaper websites are really making their pages almost unreadable with so many ads and videos.

The club are freezing ticket prices for next season.

I think FSG got the message last year that its not worth the bad press and miserly increase in match day revenue.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

If he goes to Barca this month he'll get a league winners medal (most likely) and won't have to face possibility playing against Barca in the CL. Those tare probably big reasons for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

As an aside newspaper websites are really making their pages almost unreadable with so many ads and videos.

But many want to know just who are 2017's 10 most beautiful airline attendants.

No Coutinho or Salah for Everton unsurprisingly.

Van Dijk maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

He's a gonner.

paul joyce‏
    @_pauljoyce
    Follow Follow @_pauljoyce
    More
    Klopp on Coutinho: There is nothing to say that would help me or the player or the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Tusky wrote: »
    He's a gonner.

paul joyce‏
    @_pauljoyce
    Follow Follow @_pauljoyce
    More
    Klopp on Coutinho: There is nothing to say that would help me or the player or the club.
    That doesn't mean anything. He doesn't speak about any rumours, never has...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Adblock is the only way to go nowadays

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I was adamant that he wouldn't leave in the summer because all the reliable sources said he wouldn't. They were right.

The same sources are saying he'll go now. Melissa Reddy is as nailed on as they come, she has contacts within the club and they may have even told her to write this to brace fans for the exit.

This is the real deal now. Almost certainly he's going and looks to be this window.

Very disappointed to see him go, I absolutely love him as a player, and don't understand why he wouldn't stick out the remainder of the season and see how far he can get with us in the CL.

£107m up front, £35.5m in likely add-ons.

About £143m total. It's a pretty big fee to be fair, but I'm still very doubtful that we will be a better team after this even with all the money reinvested.

£80m very likely to be immediately invested back into Thomas Lemar. How he performs will end up dictating how this transfer is viewed. Need to make sure this is tied up before we sell anyway.

Only another £27m or so to immediately invest back into the squad then, plus add ons to come later. £27m probably not enough to sign a guaranteed top player at left-back, centre mid or goalkeeper in this market right now.

Would Arsenal accept this for Sanchez? Would he come to us? Probably fanciful thinking.

Hopefully we recruit well.

I want to wish Coutinho the best, it was great to see his progression at the club and he's a magic player. But just really don't like Barca, and the fact he's pushing for it now halfway through the season is disappointing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Morzadec wrote: »
    £107m up front, £35.5m in likely add-ons.

About £143m total.

Barca paid £97M for Dembele potential to rise to £135.5M with add-ons. I know its a big fee but in that context that fee for Coutinho is a great deal for Barca.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

x43r0 wrote: »
    Adblock is the only way to go nowadays

uBlock Origin*

Enable Malvertising filter list by Disconnect and Malware filter list by Disconnect in the settings, and you're golden.

Disconnect is a standalone extension that lets you visualize and block the invisible sites that track your search and browsing history, but it clashes with uBlock Origin, so they created the filter lists above for uBlock users.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Hidalgo

Maybe the truth is the little **** just doesn't wanna be here anymore.

People need to stop thinking he is a victim

Just because he wants to move, he's now a little ****.
    What about players that pushed to sign for Liverpool & left former clubs, also little *****.

What have Liverpool got to lose by NOT selling him? He sulks for the rest of the season? Sure we wouldn't have had him anyway if we sold him. We lose out on a big fee if Barca don't come back for him in the summer? So we sell him to someone else.

We'd have our cacks pulled down trying to spend that money on a replacement by the end of the month.

So surely the ball is in our court. Liverpool are a huge club and have to act like a huge club.

If the time isn't right or the fee isn't right... sorry... No mas.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Klopp expects Coutinho to be available for the Man City game on Jan 14

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/transfer-news/jurgen-klopp-refuses-discuss-philippe-14113001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

People wont like this, and he wont be a replacement but I'd go in for Mahrez this window. Lovely player. Defensively he may not look like a fit, but just because a player doesn't do it for one club with different tactics doesn't mean he cant for LFC. Play him centrally when needed and there wouldn't be a huge demand defensively on him anyway. Has a bit of unpredictability and quality about him, has a wicked freekick and delivery, knows the League well and actually has a League winners medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Barca paid £97M for Dembele potential to rise to £135.5M with add-ons. I know its a big fee but in that context that fee for Coutinho is a great deal for Barca.

You're right, Coutinho is proven, Dembele is potential.

I think the guarantee you get with Coutinho should push the fee up higher in this market.

Another thing that might explain his hurry to leave is he doesn't have many Spanish speaking friends left - if you watched any behind the scenes stuff he and his family spent all his time with Lucas and Suarez, both now gone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

ERG89 wrote: »
    But many want to know just who are 2017's 10 most beautiful airline attendants.

In a slideshow with one per page and an ad after the 5th one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

gafferino wrote: »

So if he doesn't, he's made it clear that he's refusing to play.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Mahrez is a better player than.lallana Imo,lallana is nothing near Phil,his passing and shooting are levels below him

• Registered Users Posts: 4,724 ✭✭✭gafferino

Mahrez is a better player than.lallana Imo,lallana is nothing near Phil,his passing and shooting are levels below him

Agreed on the Lallana comparison. Lallana is a completely different player to Phil and several levels below.

How much would Mahrez even cost though; 70/80m?

Whatever it is, it would be more for the club who the entire world knows just got €150m.

Karius to start and Ward on the bench for the Everton game.

AS Monaco manager Leonardo Jardim on Thomas Lemar: "We never have the intention of making big player sales in January
    https://twitter.com/GFFN/status/948919319622189056

• Advertisement

Totally different players , that do different jobs for the team , I don't think you can compare adam to either,
    Phil and Marhez are more final third players, who do exceptional things creative and shooting that  Adam can't but Adam presses , tackles and controls a game better than both,
    Adam's more a midfielder who links the attack where Phil and Marhez are all about goals and final ball, , Mite sound silly but Adam provides the turn or ball that allows that gets the assister into position to assist ,different type players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Lallana is the Firmino of the midfield.

Monaco CEO just saying what he said a few weeks ago, might or might not mean something/anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Grayditch wrote:
    How much would Mahrez even cost though; 70/80m?

We just spent 75 million on Van Dijk & are getting a wedge of cash if Coutinho goes. I imagine Leicester will ask for a laughably high fee

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Coutinho is Brazilian. He speaks Portuguese. Firmino speaks that. I'm sure he speaks Spanish with equal ease but it's not like he's so isolated that he needs to up sticks right now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,497 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Mahrez a one season wonder like whole of Leicester team. They've all found their level now.
    Not good enough for Liverpool.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement