Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

The way I see people talking about Can he's good but not great he only has good games every now and then his head is somewhere else he will be know great loss.

That was pretty much what was said about Sterling.

I just hope we don't end up buying him back in a few seasons for £90m :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Can/Keita
    Sterling/Ibe

No comparison really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

NukaCola wrote: »
    I hope Grujic gets a lot more of Can's minutes. He's not in good form and we should develop our own players instead of Juve's........

Thought Can played well enough the past two games.

He has been largely average/poor this year, for sure though. Hasn't kicked on like we all had hoped. That said, nobody in our midfield has really impressed this season.

Just to add, the way Can handled himself in this whole situation was exemplary. Never caused a fuss, and despite not being in great form this season I believe he always gave his best. He apparently wanted a release clause in his contract, and tbh, I'd want the same......All in all, a good player and decent guy by all accounts. I hope he goes on to fulfil his potential, he had some cracking games for us. Ultimately I'd rather he signed a contract but I dont think he'll be an immediate loss.

Seeing how much the market has inflated in the past year or so, adding a release clause at this volatile time is definitely something I can see clubs being hesitant to do, even taking aside the precedent that may set for other players wanting one.

Also Juve getting Can on a free means we can't insert a sell on clause in any deal.

We should be putting in a 20% sell on fee in Coutinho deal for when PSG come in for him and buy out his €1b buyout clause Barca will put on him the second he signs his contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Jeez....yea, when you put it like that it doesn't look great does it?

He was injured for most of his first season here and got injured in his second as well didn't he?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,114 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

I'd say one of the other main reasons Can is leaving is doubts over his first team place. Have seen it mentioned a lot that he wanted assurances from Juve of a starting spot with them. With Keita coming in, Henderson as club captain so probably guaranteed his game, there doesn't really leave much room for Can there.

But now with Can & Coutinho leaving, we really need 2 midfielders to replace them now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Sky reporting now that we are still looking to sign Can to a new contract, basically they haven't got a clue ,

I'm no pro footballer but I can't see why anyone would want to go to Seria A , unless of course your from Italy,
    Its been on a downward turn for years, its no where near the level of the Prem, from the fans, the media , the marketing , the world wide appeal , it's no where near what it once was,
    Juve are barley keeping it in the public eye out side of Italy,

I'm no pro footballer but I can't see why anyone would want to go to Seria A , unless of course your from Italy,
    Its been on a downward turn for years, its no where near the level of the Prem, from the fans, the media , the marketing , the world wide appeal , it's no where near what it once was,

Two Champions league finals in the last 4 seasons is just keeping in the public eye really?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Have to be honest here but getting Serie A medals and into CL finals is better than nothing in England.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Yea, tin pot club are Juve.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Serie A is in the best state it's been in for years. As mentioned, Juve have hit two CL finals in recent years. They have recently recovered their fourth CL spot for the league. Cash injections to both Milan clubs as well as the strength of Napoli and Roma have made it a competitive league once again.

For the first time in ten years things are on the up. Juve still have the hegemony, so I don't blame him one bit for wanting to join them.

(add that to the fact that most people would happily swap the north of England for Italian climes)

Ah man, Seria A has been on the rise the past few years. It's excellent this year.

It's also not just boring 1-0 Italian football stereotype either. Napoli play as well, and as open/expansive, as anyone in Europe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Honestly, as LFC fans, we are blinkered. What player wouldn't prefer to live/play in Rome, Paris, Madrid, Milan, Turin, given a choice? The lifestyle, the weather, think of how much happier your wife would be when you get home from training. :)

Italy is also the only major competitive league left in Europe right now.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Probably cruel to think this but I don't think Can is good enough to improve the Juve team if he's as inconsistent for them as he has been for us.

Two Champions league finals in the last 4 seasons is just keeping in the public eye really?
    Exactly without Juve no one would care about seria A

Juve have won it 6 years in a row, its always going to have a one off season that's different like the Foxs in the prem two years ago ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Just to add, the way Can handled himself in this whole situation was exemplary. Never caused a fuss, and despite not being in great form this season I believe he always gave his best. He apparently wanted a release clause in his contract, and tbh, I'd want the same......All in all, a good player and decent guy by all accounts. I hope he goes on to fulfil his potential, he had some cracking games for us. Ultimately I'd rather he signed a contract but I dont think he'll be an immediate loss.

This is exactly how I feel about it all. He doesn’t have to sign a new contract and is perfectly entitled to go on a free. I wish him well at Juve where he’ll probably be more suited. Keita coming in in the summer makes me feel perfectly fine about Can going

In saying that, a haircut of that quality would be a loss to any club.

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Can will be great at Juve. More time on the ball, less dependency to drive forward with the ball, less physical, will have a more defensive position as Juve always have an attacking minded midfield player for balance.

It basically ticks all Can's boxes and highlights his attributes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Dickerty wrote: »
    Honestly, as LFC fans, we are blinkered. What player wouldn't prefer to live/play in Rome, Paris, Madrid, Milan, Turin, given a choice? The lifestyle, the weather, think of how much happier your wife would be when you get home from training. :)

Yeah.....but were any of them the culture capital of Europe in recent memory???? ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Exactly without Juve no one would care about seria A
    Juve have won it 6 years in a row, its always going to have a one off season that's different like the Foxs in the prem two years ago ,

Just speaking from my own perspective but I'd say Italy is the most interesting league in Europe outside of England. Sure, Juve have won the title the last number of years but the gap is closing on and off the field.

Napoli play superb football - though I will concede that the CL performance was bad - and Roma are a great side, too. Add to that the fact that Inter look to be on their way back up (bar a poor run over the last 4 games) and that Lazio are a good side too and you really have a good competitive group in that league.

Having a 4th CL spot will do them favours as it will allow an extra side at the top table and if AC get their **** together (they won't), it'd be a great boost for the whole division.

For me, it beats France, Germany and Spain any day of the week in terms of entertainment and competition.
    monkey9 wrote: »
    This is exactly how I feel about it all. He doesn’t have to sign a new contract and is perfectly entitled to go on a free. I wish him well at Juve where he’ll probably be more suited. Keita coming in in the summer makes me feel perfectly fine about Can going

In saying that, a haircut of that quality would be a loss to any club.

****, it basically secures Karius' long-term future here, doesn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

ballyargus wrote: »
    Serie A is in the best state it's been in for years. As mentioned, Juve have hit two CL finals in recent years. They have recently recovered their fourth CL spot for the league. Cash injections to both Milan clubs as well as the strength of Napoli and Roma have made it a competitive league once again.

For the first time in ten years things are on the up. Juve still have the hegemony, so I don't blame him one bit for wanting to join them.

(add that to the fact that most people would happily swap the north of England for Italian climes)

You do know that Italy only got their 4th spot back because UEFA were worried England would lose theirs so changed the qualification numbers.

Liverpool and Turin would have a similar climate, in fact Liverpool would be warmer in the Winter than Turin

Was pretty close, interesting and enjoyable last season too. It's noticeably improving and getting more competitive as a league from top to bottom over the past few seasons.

I think your view of the league is a little outdated tbh.

• Advertisement

Speaking of Seria A. Lucas was Lazio's player of the Month for December.

https://twitter.com/officialsslazio/status/948540358966808576

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

ballyargus wrote: »

You do know that Italy only got their 4th spot back because UEFA were worried England would lose theirs so changed the qualification numbers.

Liverpool and Turin would have a similar climate, in fact Liverpool would be warmer in the Winter than Turin
    Far more interesting culturally, on the doorstep of a great wine region (Barolo), and a stones throw from the Alps, Italian Great Lakes and French Riviera. 
    I know where I'd want to live!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Knex. wrote: »
    Speaking of Seria A. Lucas was Lazio's player of the Month for December.

https://twitter.com/officialsslazio/status/948540358966808576

Delighted he's doing so well over there.

Can/Keita
    Sterling/Ibe

No comparison really!

Firmino replaced sterling really IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Correct on the last point but it's generally warmer and the main thing for most people would be that there is significantly less rain there than in England. By a quite a distance.

• Advertisement

Klopp nominated for Manager of the Month, Salah and Firmino nominated for player of the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Dickerty wrote: »

This is exactly it. Players have more than themselves to think about. If you know your partner (and kids, if you have them) would be happier elsewhere, and that elsewhere is home to a top-tier club such as Juve (in Can's case) and Barca (in Coutinho's case), where you have a better chance of silverware than Liverpool (let's be perfectly honest here), and probably an improved contract, then why wouldn't you take that opportunity to go? You'd be off your head to stay if the only reason to really do so is to keep the clubs fans happy.

Now, I know Coutinho is different to Can, in that he has a lengthy contract remaining, but let's get real - in todays world, the top players hold all the cards. He will eventually get his move, and LFC will get a huge sum of money (due to the contract), and that's the way the world works. The last thing LFC should do is hold Coutinho to his contract at all costs as we would then be known as a "holding" club, for want of a better term, and no top player will ever sign of us, or sign an extension, if they know the club would effectively stop their freedom of employment/movement.

These days, top players signing long term contracts is a reward to themselves (they'll get paid up in full if they have a career ending injury), and to the club (they'll get a huge selling fee). Outside of that, contracts don't mean a whole lot if the top player is adamant to leave.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

emmetkenny wrote: »
    Klopp nominated for Manager of the Month, Salah and Firmino nominated for player of the month.

Give it to salah

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

fyfe79 wrote: »
    This is exactly it. Players have more than themselves to think about. If you know your partner (and kids, if you have them) would be happier elsewhere, and that elsewhere is home to a top-tier club such as Juve (in Can's case) and Barca (in Coutinho's case), where you have a better chance of silverware than Liverpool (let's be perfectly honest here), and probably an improved contract, then why wouldn't you take that opportunity to go? You'd be off your head to stay if the only reason to really do so is to keep the clubs fans happy.

Now, I know Coutinho is different to Can, in that he has a lengthy contract remaining, but let's get real - in todays world, the top players hold all the cards. He will eventually get his move, and LFC will get a huge sum of money (due to the contract), and that's the way the world works. The last thing LFC should do is hold Coutinho to his contract at all costs as we would then be known as a "holding" club, for want of a better term, and no top player will ever sign of us, or sign an extension, if they know the club would effectively stop their freedom of employment/movement.

These days, top players signing long term contracts is a reward to themselves (they'll get paid up in full if they have a career ending injury), and to the club (they'll get a huge selling fee). Outside of that, contracts don't mean a whole lot if the top player is adamant to leave.

Bingo.

I can understand children being upset with players leaving but grown adults? Sure there is some disappointment but at the end of the day the players have to look after their best interests too.

Give it to salah

Bobby deserves it this time, 6 goals and 2 assists. Salah got 5 goals and 3 assists.

Salah can have it next month. Just as well Coutinho wasn't nominated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 479 ✭✭rgace

brevity wrote: »
    Bingo.

I can understand children being upset with players leaving but grown adults? Sure there is some disappointment but at the end of the day the players have to look after their best interests too.

I doubt there will be too many grown adults in tears when Coutinho leaves but as a Liverpool supporter I won't be happy about it, I've always been immature for my age though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Must say I will be sad to see Can leave for Italy at the end of the season, suspect he knows with Keita coming in the pace in the middle will increase and I would assume he asked himself if he would fit into that style of play. This year he seems to have slowed down a bit.....maybe the lad is pacing his career and a move to Italy may see him playing a few years longer.

However we must respect the man for how he handled the whole affair and hope that other players take a leaf out of his book. Looking in from outside he has never caused the club a minute of trouble.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

I hope Grujic gets a lot more of Can's minutes. He's not in good form and we should develop our own players instead of Juve's........

In order to achieve our goals we need to put the best team possible on the pitch the rest of the season. **** development and **** pride.

So then, there's a FA Cup tie against the neighbours and it's hardly been mentioned which is indicative of something - that Coutinho is bigger than a trophy!

Will he go big and play his strongest 11 plus bench with 9 days to City at home or risk mixing in lesser mights? Everton will surely take this seriously as they literally have nothing else to play for.

LL Klopp is developing TAA and Gomez, I'm sure you've noticed. He could have slotted Milner in and told him not to get beyond the halfway line, instead two players are being given a great boost.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Grujic has not showed anything apart from nearly breaking a few ankles.

Shown promise in pre-season 2016 but there is a reason Klopp is not playing him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Hope we don't go after Mahrez.

If we are getting another wide player I would wait for the summer & get Zaha.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

Personally feel can is a snake

Granted hasn't said boo

But if he was sure about leaving , should have left sooner than hang around for nothing and let us take a hit on transfer value

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Personally feel can is a snake

Granted hasn't said boo

But if he was sure about leaving , should have left sooner than hang around for nothing and let us take a hit on transfer value

I presume that was part of Juventus' proposal. There's been a lot of talk about fulfilling contracts this week. I don't think Can has done anything wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

It's been rumoured he's going for ages. Club hadn't really pushed for it after he supposedly asked for a buyout so it seems inevitable he'd go on a free. Personally would give him as little play time as possible but I'm not in charge.

So who starts in midfield & up front tonight with Coutinho, Mane & Salah out and keep Fun Bobby safe for the City game.

Midfield of Can, Wijnaldum & Ox with a front three of Lallana, Solanke & Ings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Will we see VVD tonight?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,278 ✭✭✭x43r0

Will we see VVD tonight?

I hope so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I don't want to see that many unnecessary changes tonight.

It's over a week until the next game after this. Best foot forward please. it's the derby, and we really should be aiming to win this competition.

this team needs to be in actual contention for silverware now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

The whole Coutinho thing is still odd to me. It's almost like the club feel obligated to sell him to Barcelona somehow. He's got four and a half years left on his contract. His value isn't going to drop for a while yet. By rights the club should be under zero pressure to sell him until they feel the time is right for the club. Yet all the talk is how the move is inevitable and imminent. Inevitable yes but hardly inevitable this January I would have thought.

Only thing I can think is that Klopp just hates having to deal with disruptive players who are not fully invested in the club so just wants him out the door.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement