Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So who starts in midfield & up front tonight with Coutinho, Mane & Salah out and keep Fun Bobby safe for the City game.

Midfield of Can, Wijnaldum & Ox with a front three of Lallana, Solanke & Ings.

Klopp confirmed that Karius and Solanke would start anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

SlickRic wrote: »
    I don't want to see that many unnecessary changes tonight.

It's over a week until the next game after this. Best foot forward please. it's the derby, and we really should be aiming to win this competition.

this team needs to be in actual contention for silverware now.

Exactly. Why on earth would we rest players for this game?

Be different if we were playing Grimsby or if we had another game in 2 days time.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

So who starts in midfield & up front tonight with Coutinho, Mane & Salah out and keep Fun Bobby safe for the City game.

Midfield of Can, Wijnaldum & Ox with a front three of Lallana, Solanke & Ings.

Wait - the cup game is tonight??!! I've been so engrossed in another Tom Brady smear campaign by ESPN I had no idea --- Mrs is out for the night- I've still crimbo beers in the fridge! yeesssss --- Into lucky jocks and onto the couch in nothing but said jocks for the night --- What station is showing it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Wait - the cup game is tonight??!! I've been so engrossed in another Tom Brady smear campaign by ESPN I had no idea --- Mrs is out for the night- I've still crimbo beers in the fridge! yeesssss --- Into lucky jocks and onto the couch in nothing but said jocks for the night --- What station is showing it?

It's on BBC. Not sure if 1 or 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Sweet!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

It's on BBC 1, coverage starts at 7.30, KO is at 7.55.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

Lucas Moura is on his way out of PSG, according to L'Equipe. Maybe a cheeky loan until the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,937 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mane trained this morning. All clear to play tonight (as planned).

https://twitter.com/_ChrisBascombe/status/949276137649266688

Under 23 captain Corey Whelan 20 (Irish under 21) has joined Yeovil Town on loan for the remainder of the 2017-18 season.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/286392-corey-whelan-joins-yeovil-town-on-loan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Change of topic - the "behind the scenes" with VVD on his first day was notable for one thing in particular - Lovren gave him the best greeting of any player. Most people just went for a bro-handshake as they passed, but he took off the headphones and chatted for a few seconds. He's a good guy.

A lot of talk that VVD starts, as well as Karius, Solanke and Mane. So I think team is

Karius
    Trent----VVD----Lovren----Robertson
    Milner
    Can
    Wijnaldum

Mane
    Solanke
    Oxlade

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,204 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

Think tonight’s team will be something like

Karius, TAA, Gomez, VVD, Robertson, Milner,Gini, Ox, Mane, Lallana, Solanke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

What channel are we on later?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

LuckyLloyd wrote: »

One of the BBC's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

I think Klavan and Lovren will start.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Knex. wrote: »
    I think Klavan and Lovren will start.

Hope so, another one-two in added time (at their end) could be the difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,300 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Best available team please. It's Everton and a competition id love to see us win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Karius , Gomez , Van Dijk ,Matip, Robertson , Can , Milner , Lallana , Mané , Firmino , Oxlade - Chamberlain 
    got word of possible line up for tonight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

mightyreds wrote: »
    Karius , Gomez , Van Dijk ,Matip, Robertson , Can , Milner , Lallana , Mané , Firmino , Oxlade - Chamberlain 
    got word of possible line up for tonight

So somebody else's guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

I had no interest in the fa cup last year and couldn't care less when klopp put out a weakened team and we got knocked out. Last season the main goal was to get CL ,we had a small squad and a two leeged Carling cup sf . This year is different he needs to target a cup and it makes sense to play close to his strongest team tonight. No game for 9 days and apart from Can who has played a lot everyone else has got a rest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

amber69 wrote: »
    So somebody else's guess?

Well bar 1 player sometimes switched, in my last 4 or 5 lineups I've been fairly spot on so take from it what you will , I don't really care just passing on info

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

This squad needs some silverware. Its been far too long.

Dickerty wrote: »
    A lot of talk that VVD starts, as well as Karius, Solanke and Mane. So I think team is

Karius
    Trent----VVD----Lovren----Robertson
    Milner
    Can
    Wijnaldum

Mane
    Solanke
    Oxlade
    I forgot Lallana! Drop him in ahead of Wij, Ox and Lallana to interchange...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭Mr.H

Sky reporting now that we are still looking to sign Can to a new contract, basically they haven't got a clue ,

It's because he can't officially sign until his contract is up with us. He can have an agreement with juve but legally can still renew with us as his agreement can only be loose and based and can't be binding since he is still under contract. That is my limited understanding anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,297 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

BBC One 7:55pm Kick off time

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Personally feel can is a snake

Granted hasn't said boo

But if he was sure about leaving , should have left sooner than hang around for nothing and let us take a hit on transfer value

Can't agree with this.

He has (almost) seen out his contract as he agreed to do. He agreed to play for whatever it was, 4 years or whatever. He has done that. When he is there, the onus is equally on the club as it is on him to agree a new contract. If it can't be agreed by both, he is fully entitled to walk away at the end of the contract. He hasn't sulked or been dishonest in any way, he has been up front about possibly moving to juventus for a while.
    If you want to bitch about a contract, save it for a lad that signed last summer for 5 years and is now agitating for a move...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,843 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

Personally feel can is a snake

Granted hasn't said boo

But if he was sure about leaving , should have left sooner than hang around for nothing and let us take a hit on transfer value

Can't agree with this.

He has (almost) seen out his contract as he agreed to do. He agreed to play for whatever it was, 4 years or whatever. He has done that. When he is there, the onus is equally on the club as it is on him to agree a new contract. If it can't be agreed by both, he is fully entitled to walk away at the end of the contract. He hasn't sulked or been dishonest in any way, he has been up front about possibly moving to juventus for a while.
    If you want to bitch about a contract, save it for a lad that signed last summer for 5 years and is now agitating for a move...
    Ye I agree Can has acted like a proper pro,
    Never said anything to the media never fishing for moves or trying to mess us around ,He has got on with the job and even with his limitation I feel he always gives 100%

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

LL Klopp is developing TAA and Gomez, I'm sure you've noticed. He could have slotted Milner in and told him not to get beyond the halfway line, instead two players are being given a great boost.

I have of course noticed and I think it's a success story from the first half of the season. However we may end up in a 2nd leg of a CL Quarter Final in a couple of months time along with pressure league games down the stretch. In those scenarios I'll be hoping the likes of Clyne and Milner are available and playing if they're the solid and dependable option. The lapse for the goal against Burnley is the kind of thing that will become magnified down the stretch of the season.

Specifically in terms of Can, he's the best option in our squad for what he's doing right now and that will continue to be the case through the end of the season bar something extraordinary in the next couple of weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Klopp confirmed that Karius and Solanke would start anyway.

A lovely occasion for Solanke to score his first Liverpool goal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

monkey9 wrote: »

A leaping header that also sends Ashley Williams flying flat onto his face would be an absolute joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,954 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Nah make it another handball, only have this one be far more blatant but have them count it anyway.

Maybe Lovren can buy a peno from Calvert-Lewin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

A hard fought 4-3 win with VVD giving away two pens and everyone questioning his price. TAA to bang in the winner taking a deflection off Williams and Rooney on the way in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Maybe we could pretend to be United so Big Sam apologetically rolls over and hands us a win, although it would take some effort to unlearn attacking football just for one game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Specifically in terms of Can, he's the best option in our squad for what he's doing right now and that will continue to be the case through the end of the season bar something extraordinary in the next couple of weeks.

In my opinion, Henderson offers a lot more than Can in the deeper midfield role. He's a lot more mobile and responsible in this position. Some of Can's performances have been shocking, particularly the Leicester match where he looked like he was towing a bouncy castle full of kids.

He is far too ponderous on the ball for me.

I would love to see us recruit someone for this position of the requisite ability. Could make a huge difference going forward.

N'Didi is one with potential in this position but would cost a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,067 ✭✭✭✭Tusky

monkey9 wrote: »

I don't think Solanke should be starting in important games until he shows he can find the net from the bench first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Tusky wrote: »
    I don't think Solanke should be starting in important games until he shows he can find the net from the bench first.

That's quite a ways out and a difficult angle to boot. Would there be a keeper also? When would this test take place?

How about Gomez & TAA they excused for making mistakes that lead to goals because they are young and learning does that not go for the forwards players too who don't score but work hard?

How about Gomez & TAA they excused for making mistakes that lead to goals because they are young and learning does that not go for the forwards players too who don't score but work hard?

I'm all for giving Solanke game time but he clearly can't be relied upon at present. I just don't think it's wise to start him at CF in important games until he improves.

Appearances: 17
    Goals: 0

I'm all for giving Solanke game time but he clearly can't be relied upon at present. I just don't think it's wise to start him at CF in important games until he improves.

Appearances: 17
    Goals: 0

549 minutes = just under 6 games is a fairer reflection.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

In my opinion, Henderson offers a lot more than Can in the deeper midfield role. He's a lot more mobile and responsible in this position. Some of Can's performances have been shocking, particularly the Leicester match where he looked like he was towing a bouncy castle full of kids.

He is far too ponderous on the ball for me.

I would love to see us recruit someone for this position of the requisite ability. Could make a huge difference going forward.

N'Didi is one with potential in this position but would cost a lot.

I rate N'Didi. But I don't think he is quite ready for a top 4 club. Would leave him at Leicester for a few more years.

Doucoure at Watford is a very good player.

549 minutes = just under 6 games is a fairer reflection.

Yeah fair enough. Point still stands though - our CF needs to be a goal threat.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Yea I wouldn't be starting slow-lanky (shout out to toby)tonight, play the best team available, get the win, make changes then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Solanke definitely needs to put the ball in the net soon, a few more games and it could become a 'thing'. He gets to play in a very attacking/high chance creating team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

A few quotes from Klopp re Solanke from the Mirror:

Despite not registering a goal, Klopp revealed that Solanke did in fact do something "pretty rare" during the victory.

"I’m not 100 per cent sure - we had not a lot of numbers after the game - but I think he had [ran] 12.5 kilometres or so, so that’s pretty rare for a striker, that’s quite lively [and] helped us a lot in that game.

"He will score, no doubt about that, in the future, no doubt, not a shadow of a doubt about that, and in this moment he gets experience, that’s how it is."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 981 ✭✭✭amber69

I think I read somewhere a few weeks ago Klopp said that he not showing in the matches what he was doing in training

He shouldn't worry - a far more experienced player named Peter Crouchigol took 1,229 minutes before he registered his first goal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

A few quotes from Klopp re Solanke from the Mirror:

Despite not registering a goal, Klopp revealed that Solanke did in fact do something "pretty rare" during the victory.

"I’m not 100 per cent sure - we had not a lot of numbers after the game - but I think he had [ran] 12.5 kilometres or so, so that’s pretty rare for a striker, that’s quite lively [and] helped us a lot in that game.

"He will score, no doubt about that, in the future, no doubt, not a shadow of a doubt about that, and in this moment he gets experience, that’s how it is."

He's running too much to impress! Needs to hang about the box more and the chances will be there. For confidence alone a goal is needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

He shouldn't worry - a far more experienced player named Peter Crouchigol took 1,229 minutes before he registered his first goal.

And his first was poxy as hell if memory serves correct.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Fromvert wrote: »
    He's running too much to impress! Needs to hang about the box more and the chances will be there. For confidence alone a goal is needed.

Have a feeling he needs to get the first one and then the pressure will be off and we might see the lads natural ability. At the minute I get the feeling he is trying to compensate the lack of goals with work on the field.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement