Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Morzadec wrote: »
    It's a non story, even with my very limited Portuguese it's very very clear what firmino says.

I doubt Holgate speaks Portuguese.

Yep, Fermino basically calls him a 'crazy c*nt'. Holgate decides to get all offended thinking it's race thing. It's not. Nothing to see here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Any chance they can investigate Holgate for reckless endangerment for pushing Firmino into the crowd and the ref for not carding him.

Aye, that's what I thought instantly when I saw it. It's this shearer **** that has somehow changed the narrative without any proof. ****.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Some fans are idiots. Why attack Shearer about his opinion, who cares.

Seems like lots of people on this board get triggered very easily by pundits or commentators. Hit the mute button if you can't control the rage.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Not that it’s particularly relevant from the FAs perspective but Firminio is only a shade or two lighter than Holgate... it would be bizarre if he did actually go with a racial slur. Also bizarre if Holgate made it up. Aaaalso bizarre if the referee didn’t hear it when he was standing between the two. Football is a funny old game...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Seems to have already been cleared up as a misunderstanding between the two, the investigation is just a formality as Holgate reported it to the ref at the time, and they wouldn't want to be seen as negligent when it comes to such issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Tweets from 6 years ago he was what 14/15 years of age.

The sh1t I said at that age I would be locked up for today but I grew up and learned not to say sh1t like that.

I never understand the people who go back through years of tweets to find one or two times someone said something over the top/offensive and in this case it was a kid! If someone wants to say they never did anything or said something that was regretful and/or offensive I just assume they're straight up lying.

Everyone has used that word or has friends/family that have and wouldn't want them trialed by social media for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Seems like lots of people on this board get triggered very easily by pundits or commentators. Hit the mute button if you can't control the rage.
    Probably doesn't help that one such pundit also writes for the S*n. He doesn't extend his high standards when it comes to earning a buck.

Heard that he criticized Danny Drinkwater for not playing for England. Again with the two faced stuff from him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Talisman wrote: »
    Totally overblown reaction - He has 5 clean sheets in 8 appearances this season. There are bigger problems than Karius to be resolved with the defence - Virgil's commanding presence may go a long way to resolving some of them.

If Virgil is given a decent centre back partner to work with then the goalkeeper may not prove to be the big issue to resolve.

In spite of Karius, rather than because of him. Can you recall a single save in those games that he made which you wouldn't expect of any average goalkeeper? While at the same time displaying the same traits continuously of not coming for the ball, not looking on his toes, waiting shots sail past him without making a move. Even with his kickouts, he looks like he might break down and cry.

I agree he's not the biggest problem, because we have two other keepers. But in my opinion at this stage, Karius has had his chances, and looked like a lost, confused child amongst professionals. He displays no decisiveness, no control, and no impressive ability. Just can't see any point in playing him anymore. Loan him out if we must, and see what comes of it, but for now in a red shirt over the past 2 years he's proven himself to be below the required standard. Ward deserves a shot in future FA cup ties. He can't be any worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bollocks am I even entertaining the idea of letting crap pundits, refs or bull**** accusations ruin the buzz of beating Everton in the last 5 mins. Still buzzing after that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    In spite of Karius, rather than because of him. Can you recall a single save in those games that he made which you wouldn't expect of any average goalkeeper? While at the same time displaying the same traits continuously of not coming for the ball, not looking on his toes, waiting shots sail past him without making a move. Even with his kickouts, he looks like he might break down and cry.

I agree he's not the biggest problem, because we have two other keepers. But in my opinion at this stage, Karius has had his chances, and looked like a lost, confused child amongst professionals. He displays no decisiveness, no control, and no impressive ability. Just can't see any point in playing him anymore. Loan him out if we must, and see what comes of it, but for now in a red shirt over the past 2 years he's proven himself to be below the required standard. Ward deserves a shot in future FA cup ties. He can't be any worse.
    He sounds like the worst goalkeeper in the world. Perish the thought that he has four years left on his contract with the club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,889 ✭✭✭✭klose

Good win and as sweet as any way to go about it, vvd with the winner you couldn't write it.
    Won't feel happy until the Firmino Holgate situation gets a definitive answer to it though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

Talisman wrote: »
    He sounds like the worst goalkeeper in the world. Perish the thought that he has four years left on his contract with the club.

He must have something to offer, or we wouldn't have bought him in the first place... but his mental fragility at the moment is painfully obvious in everything he does on the field.

I can't see it improving while he's at the club, as the pressure will only build. Worth sending him away on loan for the next year and see how he manages that. But keeping him around isn't doing anyone any good, including him.

26231150_571237046543513_54113907916981433_n.jpg?efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&oh=12a7f20513e79c1a8cf70ed9df74f707&oe=5ABCD00E

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Seems like the media is making mountains out of the Firmino / Holgate row.

Even though he clearly said nothing racially offensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭Tipsy McSwagger

Players using the race card should be banned imo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I'm guessing you meant "aren't warranted" :)

Ha ha yes of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

Vicxas wrote: »

If there was something inappropriate said, it was while Firmino's mouth was blocked by Milner (I think). If he did, he will get a significant ban and it will be a bad stain on his character.

I also think Holgate should get a ban for pushing Firmino into the crowd, it was dangerous.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Vicxas wrote: »

Paper never refused ink. Winter was suggesting the FA should look to ban both, Firmino for bad language. If that ps the case Rooney and a lot of other players would never play again.

If this is a misunderstanding Holgate should be made publicly apologise, wild accusations like that can tarnish reputations.

razorblunt wrote: »
    Winter was suggesting the FA should look to ban both, Firmino for bad language.
    Kenny in the second half, fouled Robertson (clear pull on the arm), and he turned and you could see him mouth to the ref “f*** off”. Did he mention that?
    Winter must want games stopped early as soon as a team is below 7 players.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He must have something to offer, or we wouldn't have bought him in the first place... but his mental fragility at the moment is painfully obvious in everything he does on the field.

I can't see it improving while he's at the club, as the pressure will only build. Worth sending him away on loan for the next year and see how he manages that. But keeping him around isn't doing anyone any good, including him.

And he'll play our CL games :eek:
    Grim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Holgate is getting into arguments in most games he plays. Reminds me a bit of Delle Alli with his behaviour likes to rile opposition players.

Would be very surprised if Firmino said something racist.

The only thing I can see this resulting in is Holgate escaping any sort of punishment despite the violent conduct towards Firmino.

Not that it’s particularly relevant from the FAs perspective but Firminio is only a shade or two lighter than Holgate... it would be bizarre if he did actually go with a racial slur. Also bizarre if Holgate made it up. Aaaalso bizarre if the referee didn’t hear it when he was standing between the two. Football is a funny old game...

It's not relevant at all. I know an incredibly racist Indian chap....

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Whoever is wrong in the whole Firmino/Holgate thing should have the book thrown at them. For racist language or false reporting of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Augeo wrote: »
    And he'll play our CL games :eek:
    Grim.

Quite a sobering thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

The whole game should be reviewed from a refereeing perspective, I thought there were so many bad decisions that he should be the one getting a ban

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Precisely,the ref is the one needing the bank, absolutely hopeless

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Augeo wrote: »
    It's not relevant at all. I know an incredibly racist Indian chap....

Indeed, I once worked with an Indain in Oz who used to refer to Sri Lankans using "those fuXXing Nxxxxers"

It really stuned me when he said it, I didn't know what to say as he was my boss and I was only 21 and just in the country

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭S. Goodspeed

Indeed, I once worked with an Indain in Oz who used to refer to Sri Lankans using "those fuXXing Nxxxxers"

It really stuned me when he said it, I didn't know what to say as he was my boss and I was only 21 and just in the country

They aren’t big fans of the Pakistanis either. I’ve an Indian friend who was turned away from a Dublin bar and suspecting a racist motivation said to the bouncer “Oh hang on, you think we are Pakistani f*ckers right?”

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Karius in his 3 league games has let in 1 goal but he has also only made 1 save. Against arsenal and west brom both cs and no saves made in either game. He let in a goal against Leicester and made a save. In effect karius has done little wrong but he hasn't really done anything. Its the story of our goalkeepers they don't get much to do but we need a really good one to make the difference when called upon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SM01

It would seem that the incident was a misunderstanding of what was said on account of Roberto using Portuguese to swear, but because it was reported it needs investigating. Nowt racist said at all.

Source: The whole of the Twitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,392 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Karius in his 3 league games has let in 1 goal but he has also only made 1 save. Against arsenal and west brom both cs and no saves made in either game. He let in a goal against Leicester and made a save. In effect karius has done little wrong but he hasn't really done anything. Its the story of our goalkeepers they don't get much to do but we need a really good one to make the difference when called upon.

Karius was dreadful last night and had very little he had to do. His decision making in goal kicks and general play is very slow. He dropped a simple ball from i believe a corner. How many times was Van Dijk screaming at him to come out and collect the ball. I dont and never have seen any potential in him at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭colly10

It should be really easy for them to work out what was said, we should know already. Hope Firmino didn’t say anything.

If he didn’t, I hope they also investigate the push, should be a straight red card, could just as easily be opposition fans he was pushed into

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ah, the morning after a win in the Merseyside Derby!! Lovely stuff.

monkey9 wrote: »
    Not an uncommon feeling.
    Sept ‘99 since they last won at Anfield. 16 games without a win in the derby. We’ve lost to some rank bad clubs in that time, just not to the Softees.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Didnt see the game - Throwing away the rose tinted glasses after his goal, how did Virgil get on?

ardinn wrote: »
    Didnt see the game - Throwing away the rose tinted glasses after his goal, how did Virgil get on?
    Bossed in the air, as he did on Jagielka for the goal. Was a treat from set pieces throughout. Commanded things very well at the back, barked to get Karuis out twice to ensure he cleared the ball. Overall, impressive for his first game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

monkey9 wrote: »

Have to be honest, doesn't mean as much to me here in Dublin!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

ardinn wrote: »

Very well. Had a slightly slow start when one of their players turned him but after that grew into the game - not surprising as he hadn't played in a month I believe. Good organiser. Had a few commanding clearing headers, some interceptions/tackles. Balled out Karius a couple of times for not being quicker off his line to clear through-balls. Before his goal had a header saved which went straight at the keeper, and then had another chance that could have fallen better for him.

Basically, very solid and commanding at the back and a big threat going forward. And, of course, scored. Close to the perfect debut.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Regarding van Dijk, I was slightly disappointed he lost/misjudged so many headers from Pickfords kick outs. Calvin Lewin isn't small but he is not that good in the air.
    He had one dodgy, outside of the right foot, dink to Robertson, which Bolaise nearly got under control and if he did he was in, one on one.
    I know it was good to see him shouting at Karius but on at least one occasion, it was his ball to clear, not Karius. Shouting like Hendo means nothing if it's your responsibility.
    Bolaise also did him with a bit of trickery early in the first half, in our box.
    I am delighted we got him and for his first game he did well, especially the goal. I just don't think he "bossed it" as much as people say.

Seaba wrote: »
    Regarding van Dijk, I was slightly disappointed he lost/misjudged so many headers from Pickfords kick outs. Calvin Lewin isn't small but he is not that good in the air.
    He had one dodgy, outside of the right foot, dink to Robertson, which Bolaise nearly got under control and if he did he was in, one on one.
    I know it was good to see him shouting at Karius but on at least one occasion, it was his ball to clear, not Karius. Shouting like Hendo means nothing if it's your responsibility.
    Bolaise also did him with a bit of trickery early in the first half, in our box.
    I am delighted we got him and for his first game he did well, especially the goal. I just don't think he "bossed it" as much as people say.

Call me biased or whatever but I don't know what you're talking about for the majority of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

Call me biased or whatever but I don't know what you're talking about for the majority of this.

I am a Liverpool supporter also. Am delighted we eventually signed him. In my opinion, I thought he had a good debut but because of the things I mentioned, I wasn't as impressed as others were. Still as I say, a good debut.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I am a Liverpool supporter also. Am delighted we eventually signed him. In my opinion, I thought he had a good debut but because of the things I mentioned, I wasn't as impressed as others were. Still as I say, a good debut.

First game for a month so was bound to be slightly rusty. Lallana has been getting minutes here and there so should be showing signs of improvement but stank the place out last night. I'm worried about him tbh. He seems to have fallen back into the habit of taking way too many touches and running around like a headless chicken. Hopefully he cuts it out as he gets back up to speed. Ironically the one time he should have taken an extra touch he didn't...I thought he could have taken another touch when he was clean through on goal but he shot too early. I'm probably worrying about nothing...I'm sure he'll be fine but he'd want to get a move on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I know you're not having a go at him but, come on, there will be many games where players go past him with a bit of trickery - just because he cost £75 million doesn't mean that he'll never be beaten. He was solid, vocal and offers a serious threat from set pieces. He'll be very happy with his night's work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Also it's both sad and funny watching opposition fans foaming at the mouth practically praying Firmino said something racist to Holgate. Hoping there was a racist incident just because you don't like a football team. Pathetic really.

If Firmino, as has been suggested, did indeed call Holgate a crazy c**t, my love for him will grow exponentially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Ballbag tweeted in the last hour that coutinho to barca is practically done.

Also mahrez not in the leicester squad today for the fa cup.

Also it's both sad and funny watching opposition fans foaming at the mouth practically praying Firmino said something racist to Holgate. Hoping there was a racist incident just because you don't like a football team. Pathetic really.

Pathetic - absolutely, but inevitable also. It's where football supporters are at these days.

ricero wrote: »
    Ballbag tweeted in the last hour that coutinho to barca is practically done

Brilliant. We really need him until May. Delighted he's staying.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement