Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Bossed in the air, as he did on Jagielka for the goal. Was a treat from set pieces throughout. Commanded things very well at the back, barked to get Karuis out twice to ensure he cleared the ball. Overall, impressive for his first game.

Agreed with all of that.

Could easily see him as the man to depend on in the future, which is a scary thought in a way. In the first half he was limping briefly and I was scared sh1tless it might have been serious.

So one of the things that I'm hoping for from him is that he has an overall lasting effect on the defence that will be there even in his absence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

ricero wrote: »
    Ballbag tweeted in the last hour that coutinho to barca is practically done
    Liverpool have been much quieter this time around to deny it.
    Maybe an agreement for a summer transfer?
    If he does go now, they need to have his replacement lined up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

mosstin wrote: »
    Pathetic - absolutely, but inevitable also. It's where football supporters are at these days.

Ah yeah, I know. Still makes you wonder though...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

razorblunt wrote: »
    Paper never refused ink. Winter was suggesting the FA should look to ban both, Firmino for bad language. If that ps the case Rooney and a lot of other players would never play again.

If this is a misunderstanding Holgate should be made publicly apologise, wild accusations like that can tarnish reputations.

Just on this, hugely irresponsible of the BBC pundits during half time, talking about 'something racist possibly' etc, ' player reacting to something racist', tut tut, etc etc...

All this was on prime time tv with no facts whatsoever. In particular Shearer led the charge on it. I've no problem with his BS 'analysis' and biased opinions on the game, but he led the charge on prime time tv with a very casual audience (was on BBC 1 instead of eastenders remember) to basically slur firmino, and plant the notion that he's a racist. Very hard to put that genie back in the bottle once it's out. If he said something racist, then suspend him or whatever when it's proven, but it's too serious to just casually throw out an allegations like that based on no facts whatsoever.

Shearer would be respected by Mrs Edwards from Cheltenham et Al, and a lot of the people watching that only occasionally watch soccer, and his word would hold some authority among non football fans based on his recognition factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

If Firmino, as has been suggested, did indeed call Holgate a crazy c**t, my love for him will grow exponentially.

I do love the idea of the FA reporting back to Holgate saying "nah he didn't break any rules, he just called you a cnut and that's fair enough"

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Seaba

I know you're not having a go at him but, come on, there will be many games where players go past him with a bit of trickery - just because he cost £75 million doesn't mean that he'll never be beaten. He was solid, vocal and offers a serious threat from set pieces. He'll be very happy with his night's work.

Ya, true enough re Bolaise going by him.
    It was missing so many headers from Pickfords kick outs that disappointed most. I remember Benteke killing van Dijk in the air once in Southampton when van Dijk was lauded as bring so strong in the air. Now I know Benteke can be unplayable at times - just hoping van Dijk can be the dominant centre half we need in the air. It was his first game in a while so hopefully just a bit rusty.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

I reckon mahrez was left out of today to stop him being cup tied. James Pearce confirmed that coutinho did not travel with the squad to Dubai.

Hes as good as gone. Got to say i thought i would be more dissapointed but im not. Hopefully we spend the money wisely. Mahrez in this month would be a start.

Seaba wrote: »
    It was missing so many headers from Pickfords kick outs that disappointed most.
    I really didn't see this. How many did he miss? So many?
    I only remember Holdgate winning one, and it fell to a Liverpool player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Bolaise. What a player.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Bolaise. What a player.

A stocking of ****e

• Advertisement

ricero wrote: »
    Got to say i thought i would be more dissapointed but im not.
    I will be disappointed. Understand he wants to go, and wouldn't have a problem with him going in the Summer. But he's a key player for us with FA Cup, League and CL coming up. Rotating him with the other 3 in the fab 4 is great for the squad. I don't think he's a £140m (+£20m add ons), but we'll have to over spend to replace him.

For all the headers missed that nobody saw he did also put two on target in attack, including the goal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

Chamberlain is worth 35 million for his corners alone, seriously though we seemed to be a threat from corners last night which is something that has been lacking, I know vvd was the big part of that but chamberlain s delivery was vital

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

sword1 wrote: »
    Chamberlain is worth 35 million for his corners alone, seriously though we seemed to be a threat from corners last night which is something that has been lacking, I know vvd was the big part of that but chamberlain s delivery was vital
    The new Charlie Adam....

I really didn't see this. How many did he miss? So many?
    I only remember Holdgate winning one, and it fell to a Liverpool player.

5 or 6 times. Calvin Lewin either won Pickfords kick out or van Dijk mis-judged it/claimed Calvin Lewin nudged him off it.
    I don't meant to sound picky on this! it was just something I was watching out for.
    Van Dijk is so dangerous on our set pieces (loving the Ox's deliveries) and even if he doesn't get a head on the ball he will draw so much attention that one of our other players will be freed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Raisins

Just on this, hugely irresponsible of the BBC pundits during half time, talking about 'something racist possibly' etc, ' player reacting to something racist', tut tut, etc etc...

All this was on prime time tv with no facts whatsoever. In particular Shearer led the charge on it. I've no problem with his BS 'analysis' and biased opinions on the game, but he led the charge on prime time tv with a very casual audience (was on BBC 1 instead of eastenders remember) to basically slur firmino, and plant the notion that he's a racist. Very hard to put that genie back in the bottle once it's out.

Danny Murphy also said the Everton fan dancing with his crutches won't get his disability benefit now. His face was clearly identifiable on national television. Slam dunk defamation publicised to a massive audience if that fan has any sense the BBC will be getting the cheque book out. Also maybe it was funny, I don't want to start moralising but given the anti scouser songs sang by other fans every week that was a really stupid thing for any ex player to say about a football supporter supporting any club from Liverpool.

Those idiot pundits last night were a licence to print money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Raisins wrote: »
    Danny Murphy also said the Everton fan dancing with his crutches won't get his disability benefit now. His face was clearly identifiable on national television. Slam dunk defamation publicised to a massive audience if that fan has any sense the BBC will be getting the cheque book out. Also maybe it was funny, I don't want to start moralising but given the anti scouser songs sang by other fans every week that was a really stupid thing for any ex player to say about a football supporter supporting any club from Liverpool.

Those idiot pundits last night were a licence to print money.

I didn't hear him say that last night but.........well...............that's pretty funny actually.

Sorry.

Can't remember this level of bitterness is a long time. Jaysus

5 or 6 times. Calvin Lewin either won Pickfords kick out or van Dijk mis-judged it/claimed Calvin Lewin nudged him off it.
    I don't meant to sound picky on this! it was just something I was watching out for.
    I was also watching out for it, and I didn't see Calvin Lewis win that many headers. He'd a poor game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

I do love the idea of the FA reporting back to Holgate saying "nah he didn't break any rules, he just called you a cnut and that's fair enough"

Don't worry that will still be enough to slap a 3 match ban on him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Steven Gerrards U18sTM started 2018 in style with a 1-6 thumping of Blackburn.

Rafael Camacho 3',49',52' Edvard Tagseth 5' (plus two assists) Liam Millar 13',89'

Speak Now wrote: »
    Don't worry that will still be enough to slap a 3 match ban on him.

Is it ? :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,407 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Bolaise. What a player.

Loved Robertson cleaning him and the ball the **** out the very first time Bolaise ran at him one on one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I'm guessing Liverpool aren't risking anything like the VVD sh1te that happened.
    Understand @LFC have contacted @LCFC directly to tell them they have no interest in winger Riyad Mahrez - among a number of first-teamers left out of the Foxes' FA Cup team at Fleetwood - and speculation is "complete fabrication"

https://twitter.com/carlmarkham/status/949631774161850368

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,711 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Augeo wrote: »
    Is it ? :confused:

Yes

• Advertisement

LFC contacted LCFC to tell them we're NOT interested in Mahrez?...

Why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

I'm guessing Liverpool aren't risking anything like the VVD sh1te that happened.

https://twitter.com/carlmarkham/status/949631774161850368

Surely if Liverpool were interested in another player it would help in the negotiations if they thought there was interest in Mahrez also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,548 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Regarding van Dijk, I was slightly disappointed he lost/misjudged so many headers from Pickfords kick outs. Calvin Lewin isn't small but he is not that good in the air.
    He had one dodgy, outside of the right foot, dink to Robertson, which Bolaise nearly got under control and if he did he was in, one on one.
    I know it was good to see him shouting at Karius but on at least one occasion, it was his ball to clear, not Karius. Shouting like Hendo means nothing if it's your responsibility.
    Bolaise also did him with a bit of trickery early in the first half, in our box.
    I am delighted we got him and for his first game he did well, especially the goal. I just don't think he "bossed it" as much as people say.

I really don't like how modern day fans judge players and games and post on the internet

Do you really think VVD is never going to make a mistake or a good attacker is going to beat him.

He looked a commanding presence in the back line and he looked a leader. He was telling players what to do all the time.

A very impressive debut capped off by scoring the winning goal in front of the Kop. Dream like stuff.

I will allow him to misjudge a keeper's kick-out even though we can all name better defenders who are really top class at judging keepers' kickouts and a dodgy outside dink to Robertson.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Why?

Presumably to prevent a repeat of the VVD fiasco.

brevity wrote: »

Which would mean we were behind their backs.
    I dunno.

• Advertisement

Why?

With a respected publication like L'Equipe running a story the club clearly want it to be known that there has been no approach in any way shape or form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

It's all probably bullplop anyway.

Here's every VvD touch/challenge from the game, wins pretty much every header with Calvert-Lewin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

With a respected publication like L'Equipe running a story the club clearly want it to be known that there has been no approach in any way shape or form.

We'll probably end up apologising anyway, on a 'are you lookin' at my bird?'/'wot, you think my bird is ugly?' basis, just to be sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

murpho999 wrote: »
    I really don't like how modern day fans judge players and games and post on the internet

Do you really think VVD is never going to make a mistake or a good attacker is going to beat him.

He looked a commanding presence in the back line and he looked a leader. He was telling players what to do all the time.

A very impressive debut capped off by scoring the winning goal in front of the Kop. Dream like stuff.

I will allow him to misjudge a keeper's kick-out even though we can all name better defenders who are really top class at judging keepers' kickouts and a dodgy outside dink to Robertson.

Agreed. He's going to make the odd mistake, but certainly not as many as our other defenders. He's not perfect (who is?) but he's an excellent defender who just happened to cost a sh!tload of money. Nothing he can do about the fee, all he can do is be a good player for us. If every minute detail of his play is going to be dissected, looking for perfection, you'd never be happy. It's a better idea if his performances are judged as a whole.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

brevity wrote: »

With van Dijk there was obviously something that happened to apologise for, f there is no actual interest in mahrez, why would they even be able have to apologise? How will telling them help?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

So the latest is Coutinho has said his goodbyes before the squad flew off and Barca will pay €120m up front and €40m in add-ons.

For all the tin-foils hats out there that is what we combined paid for VVD & Ketia. €160m sell to buy FSG.

Maybe it's because I follow Liverpool, but I've never seen players linked so much with any other club. Agents use leaks to the press to help deals all the time. Why in particular are we contacting Leicester to tell them we're not interested in a player we haven't even been THAT heavily linked with? Seems.. very strange. We better fire up the phones, it seems we have a LOT of calls to make this January alone.

5starpool wrote: »
    With van Dijk there was obviously something that happened to apologise for, f there is no actual interest in mahrez, why would they even be able have to apologise? How will telling them help?
    Is it confirmed? Just a report so far.
    And I don’t think its an apology, just behind the scenes “we have no interest despite media speculation”.

Doesn't look like a great deal financially for LFC unless the add ons are very likely to be realised.

• Advertisement

Doesn't look like a great deal financially for LFC unless the add ons are very likely to be realised.
    If they sell in Jan, but don’t replace, it’s a pointless sell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

So the latest is Coutinho has said his goodbyes before the squad flew off and Barca will pay €120m up front and €40m in add-ons.

For all the tin-foils hats out there that is what we combined paid for VVD & Ketia. €160m sell to buy FSG.

Read a report this morning that the club tried to get him to have the deal agreed but stay until the Summer a la Keita but Coutinho refused and wants to go immediately. Even offered him a short term increase in wages to stay until the end of the season.

Must admit I'm still a bit puzzled why we are bending to Coutinho's demands when he has over four years left on his contract. I'm all for getting rid of him at this point but leaving in January should have been non-negotiable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

5starpool wrote: »

If it's true they have contacted Leicester to say "we haven't approached Mahrez" due to the speculation, I can only assume it means they will be contacting them again soon (once Cout leaves) to say "we are now interested in Mahrez, can we speak with him? We haven't approached him without your knowledge because we told you before" etc.

Very weird stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

just because someone on twitter said the club did something does not make it so,it even sounds like a ridiculous thing to do. leicester im sure would be well aware of any genuine interest .

Here's every VvD touch/challenge from the game, wins pretty much every header with Calvert-Lewin

Since I was the one who mentioned earlier that I was a little disappointed that van Dijk lost/misjudged 5/6 kick outs from Pickford I have no trouble admitting, going by that video, that I am wrong.
    van Dijk won 5, lost 1 and misjudged 1.
    Part of me can still see him appealing for frees for Calvin Lewin nudging him (he didn't) challenging for balls in the air but they are not in that video.
    Anyways I don't want to start getting petty. It was a good debut last night. I am delighted we have him.

I expect most of the money is league and CL appearances plus La Liga titles rather than winning the Balon D'or three years in a row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I'm not buying it Sammy, I'm not buying it. I think he over sold it there myself, overacting that Mel Gibson would be proud of :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,311 ✭✭✭✭weldoninhio

Nah, I'm never agreeing with that. Liverpool sacked Kenny too remember but you wouldn't catch him switching allegiance.

Some times people move jobs but he could have avoided taking the Everton offer.
    Any other job other than them or United, I'd have wished him well. Millions of clubs out there.

Childhood Rangers fan and Celtic hero Kenny Dalglish? Yup, never catch him switching allegiance.

Childhood Rangers fan and Celtic hero Kenny Dalglish? Yup, never catch him switching allegiance.

Oh you got him, little 6 year old Kenny, yep you've really done him in.

• Advertisement

Well i will be putting back on my tin foil hat if we dont spend every penny we got for phil on his replacement and improving other areas of the squad.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement