Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

The whole everyone knows we have cash now argument has to be one of the stupidest I have heard.

Jesus Christ just engage your brain for 2 seconds and actually think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Milkers wrote: »
    Imagine how much Mata must be worth.

Coutinho still not good enough for Barca:P

Kovacic has a 45m release clause.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

MD1990 wrote: »
    Kovacic has a 45m release clause.

And very little desire to leave Madrid I'd imagine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Very disappointed with the fee and more the timing. Part of me is glad it's over anyway, however we have two hard jobs now. Replacing him and getting that replace into the system.

It's not a good outcome, I'm afraid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

Tusky wrote: »
    And selling our best players has never worked out for us, regardless of how high the fee - Torres, Alonso, Mascherano, Suarez, Sterling and now Coutiniho. Very frustrating.
    I’d leave Sterling out of that list of individuals. Very good player, but the rest could be entered into the world class bracket. Not yet for Sterling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well I'm glad it's got done quickly. I'm sure when the dust clears well discover this was agreed in principle last September when Coutinho was nursing his bad back.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Klopp's decision. Has to be. If this season ends up petering out, this will be used to beat him with.

FSG will not have forced this. They'd get as much money in the summer.

It's amazing he seems to want out so badly that he'll forego any more Champions League football. But anyway.

I can only trust Klopp until he gives me a big reason not to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

You cant really turn down that kind of fee realistically, especially if the player really wants to go. Best of luck to him, I know he didn't exactly act like a model pro in the end but his performances for us have been magnificent. Barca getting a great player.

Huge moment in Klopps managerial career here, selling our best players never really worked out for his predecessors, at least in the EPL era anyway. All eyes on how we deal with it now.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Oh well. Very disappointed personally that we didnt tell them to wait til the summer. I dont think selling such a vital player in January is smart at all.
    It's a bit small time imo.

If it happened in the summer I'd understand but right now its daft and a poor decision regardless of how you dress it up.

Would be insane to panic buy now so either we have a replacement already sorted in advance (unlikely I'd guess) or this is just about to potentially derail our season, or damage it at the very least.
    If Bobby or Salah get injured for a while then this will look even more stupid.

No reason why we couldnt have struck a deal with them to be completed in the Summer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Serious money and you can't stop a player that wants to go to Barcelona, once you get a fee that reflects the players worth. Which we got.

Hopefully someone lined up to replace him in January.

Hopefully it's not Mahrez.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Only thing I can think of as to why this was agreed to in January was that Coutinho said he would refuse to play for the club unless he was allowed to leave.

Nothing else makes sense.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭ardinn

Whats the big deal - We have a new CB with a 100% scoring record!

Liverpool will only hold on to players who are on course for superstar status when they stop signing players who have Spanish league DNA ;) and start to win titles/CLs, otherwise buy 'em low and sell 'em high will continue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,512 ✭✭✭Wheety

Grayditch wrote: »
    Very disappointed with the fee and more the timing. Part of me is glad it's over anyway, however we have two hard jobs now. Replacing him and getting that replace into the system.

It's not a good outcome, I'm afraid.

What would have been an acceptable fee?

• Advertisement

And very little desire to leave Madrid I'd imagine.

He is a squad player not could have a chance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

I don't think we had a choice in the end but like others have said we are getting a hell of a fee for him. Trust Jurgen to invest wisely. He's done alright so far with not too many duds brought in.

Fairwell Coutinho. Absolute genius. Was a joy to see him play live few times and orchestrate the attack. Gonna be a big loss no doubt

He is a squad player not could have a chance.

Definitely worth a shout, they do have an awful habit of selling players unnecessarily.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Lemar deal is wrapped up quickly. LFC would have known for a while that Cout leaving in Jan was a real possibility, and the fact that he has moved early in the window is a good thing, considering it gives the club more time to arrange a replacement.

If nothing is happening with Lemar in the next fortnight, perhaps Mahrez will be targeted then. I'd be very surprised if someone of note does not come in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Now to finally bring Luis home.....right guys? Right?

• Advertisement

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I wouldn't be at all surprised if a Lemar deal is wrapped up quickly. LFC would have known for a while that Cout leaving in Jan was a real possibility, and the fact that he has moved early in the window is a good thing, considering it gives the club more time to arrange a replacement.

If nothing is happening with Lemar in the next fortnight, perhaps Mahrez will be targeted then. I'd be very surprised if someone of note does not come in.

I actually think Klopp might go with the current squad until the Summer. Just a feeling.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Selling your best player halfway through the season is absolute bollocks of the highest order. I don't give a **** whose decision it was.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

FSG back in profit :pac::pac::pac:

rate Coutinho very highly.

You can have no complaints about the fee, 3rd highest ever

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

And once he signs get will be seen as world class universally,not until then mind.

Huge void to be filled,he causes havoc and is our only 'make it happen' player,plus his link with Bobby and mo was amazing at times.

Fcuk it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

At least it's done early and not the 31st of Jan.

Replacement crucial but I'm sure Klopp has been looking since Cout threw his toys out of the pram again

In saying that why can't the Ox slot in there, he's always said he wants to play CM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

The worst part of this is the timing tbh. Fee is huge, player wants to go so no issues overall, but losing a starter - and one of his talent - in January with so much to play for is both baffling and infuriating. You'd wonder about replacements too. Who is available, interested and good enough... Not a long list by any means.

So long Phil, thanks for the memories.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

I actually think Klopp might go with the current squad until the Summer. Just a feeling.

Maybe you're right, as Klopp already went last summer without signing a CB. But I think this time he'll be aware that the pressure will be huge to replace someone he has sold. He'll be under savage pressure to deliver top 4, especially if there isn't a replacement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Only thing I can think of as to why this was agreed to in January was that Coutinho said he would refuse to play for the club unless he was allowed to leave.

Nothing else makes sense.

I'd guess your not to far from the mark with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

martyos121 wrote: »
    Now to finally bring Luis home.....right guys? Right?

Oh I dunno. 39 now and lost a lot of pace since the heady days of the ghost goal.

• Advertisement

rate Coutinho very highly.

You can have no complaints about the fee, 3rd highest ever

Don't think anyone has any complaints about the fee. The timing is another matter and that could prove very costly. In the short term anyway.

Wheety wrote: »
    What would have been an acceptable fee?

More.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

At least he said goodbye to Bobby and Alberto

wkm1u38tch801.png

*Stolen from reddit

Seen a few tweets from suppose in the knows like Oliver Bond of Anfield HQ saying Thomas Lemar is the priority target this window to replace coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,298 ✭✭✭✭rob316

Didn't whinge or cry to the media, kept his head down and gave us his best 5 months. I wish him well, Barcelona have bought them a fantastic player who will only get better and better.

Gutted but I always knew this day would come.

Not as big a loss as Suarez was but there is no doubting we are a weaker side today.

ricero wrote: »
    Seen a few tweets from suppose in the knows like Oliver Bond of Anfield HQ saying Thomas Lemar is the priority target this window to replace coutinho.

Oliver Bond knows nothing at all.

rob316 wrote: »
    Didn't whinge or cry to the media, kept his head down and gave us his best 5 months. I wish him well, Barcelona have bought them a fantastic player who will only get better and better.

Faked an injury trying to jeopardise our CL qualifiers and then forced his way out in January when we were all but guaranteeing him his move in June.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Is Lemar cup tied?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Would be madness. He needs at least an extra cm based on last night, as Lallana will need to me to get himself up to speed. I'd be concerned about Can's head over the next 5 months as well.

• Advertisement

Is Lemar cup tied?

Yes he played with Monaco in the champions league this season.

I won't be cheering him on because he's not a Liverpool player and I don't like Barcelona, but all the best to him, sure. Gave us some good memories and a lot of years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

I think Phil has done himself more harm than good in the eyes of many, could hinder him if he ever decides to move again.

In the case of Barca the way they have conducted themselves with this means i'd rather P1ss on a Barca jersey than wear one now.

Absolute scum.

Also been reports from the likes of Mundo Deportivo that Coutinho paid 15m of the fee out of his own pocket, funded by Nike.

Please please please get past Porto and draw Barca in the quarter finals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

cant complain about fee at all.

But very disapointing to lose him now.

i wouldn't be spending 90m on Lemar as a replacement. Good player but way off Coutinho's level.
    I don't think we will get anyone in this window.

Pretty much how I feel about it.

Glad the club were able to get the price up to near that £150m mark, as I had worried they'd get ridden a bit.

Shame he's gone, he's been fantastic these past two years or so. Hopefully we can reinvest the money wisely. It's a massive chunk of change.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Just feel its amateur hour stuff again by the club. Every tom dick and harry knows we have a boat load of cash now and will fleech us when we try buy this month. Should of had the deal done for his replacement before we sold coutinho to barca.

Also i was very happy last night.

But sure we spent half of it already on VVD, did we not? :pac:

rob316 wrote: »

Practically went on strike before the season started and I have my suspicions that he threatened to do the same again this time only for longer unless he got his way.

Feck him.

Have more respect for the way Suarez left.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Any chance we can get another contract in front of Bobby ASAP? Wouldn’t mind adding a No Barca clause to his existing No Arsenal one.:)

Let's just go for Griezmann and fcuk up all sorts of narratives.

Knex. wrote: »
    But sure we spent half of it already on VVD, did we not? :pac:

Wouldnt surprise me :pac:

I will reserve my judgement until the end of the month and see if FSG will spend the coutinho money on his replacement.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement