Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

We paid £8.5M for Coutinho, so roughly £134M profit on him! (I just wonder how much is up front?)

Yeah it sucks to lose him, but that’s unbelievable profit in any player, and suddenly makes the Van Dijk fee feel not so absurd. (How much did we agree to sign Keita for?, as it’s probably effectively free now along with VVD)

Still doesn’t make sense to move now with Barca walking the league blindfolded and him cup tied in the CL!! But whatever.

Either way, the club is a business and they’ve just made an unbelievably good business transaction.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Given how it has progressed I hope the transfer ends up a bit Fabregasesque with the fans not taking to him and he’s on the move to a lesser club in 2 years while they bring in their new toy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

from Sid Lowe
    Barcelona have put together a package worth a basic fee of £105m, plus a further £35m in variables of which £26m should be easily met. After the £105m basic, an additional £17m would be payable for the first 100 games Coutinho plays for Barcelona, £4.4m per 25 games. A further £4.4m would be paid for Champions League qualification in the first two seasons with a £4.4m bonus for winning the competition. Coutinho has agreed a five and a-half year deal worth £12.1m a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Turtyturd wrote: »
    Given how it has progressed I hope the transfer ends up a bit Fabregasesque with the fans not taking to him and he’s on the move to a lesser club in 2 years while they bring in their new toy.

Hes to good for that to happen. Barca will have a serious team next season with phil, dembele, messi, suarez and griezmann

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭sword1

We paid £8.5M for Coutinho, so roughly £134M profit on him! (I just wonder how much is up front?)

Yeah it sucks to lose him, but that’s unbelievable profit in any player, and suddenly makes the Van Dijk fee feel not so absurd. (How much did we agree to sign Keita for?, as it’s probably effectively free now along with VVD)

Still doesn’t make sense to move now with Barca walking the league blindfolded and him cup tied in the CL!! But whatever.

Either way, the club is a business and they’ve just made an unbelievably good business transaction.

120 up front

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

If it ends up with us missing out on champions league football next season and all the financial benefits that go with it, then maybe not.
    Doing this in the Summer would have been better in every respect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

As long as that new toy isn’t the main man, the main Mané or the Egyptian.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Two comments pulled from reddit
    So he knew Burnley was his last game as he got subbed and everyone clapped him off.

He gave the most cold clap back. What a ****ing joke of a way to end 5 years at your club.
    Can't believe I sat through 400 off target long range shots for him to force his way out the club when he finally became good at them

The last one made me chuckle a bit.

Tbh, I don't really like how he handled himself in the past two transfer windows, but I can't say that I'm too pissed with him. If you enter the top tier of players in the World, especially as a South American, you're going to want to play for Barca/Real, realistically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Timing not ideal but otherwise a good deal all around.

£140m is huge money and although Coutinho's replacement won't be a better player, the squad can be better as a result.

For Coutinho it's a no brainer. He'd have been mad not to want the move and certainly performed since the summer window.

We only see one aspect of the team but there's another significant dynamic behind the scenes. Morale, attitude etc play a big part and its possible from this perspective, Klopp felt letting him go was for the best. Either way, the manager is obviously happy with fee and his ability to improve the squad as a result

martyos121 wrote: »
    As long as that new toy isn’t the main man, the main Mané or the Egyptian.

I’d give it until the summer before he’s talking about how good a fit Bobby is for Barca.

• Advertisement

I wonder how long the deal has been done, Nike published it after all, I am hoping a lemar deal has been done already as well

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Messi greets Phil at the airport.

karate-kid-remake-4e09dbd1-140a-4859-bbf1-fa1c1a3983dd.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,805 ✭✭✭mightyreds

Jesus there in the humour thread , starting threads about it, they'll be in here next, it really is little Christmas for the utd fans

Moreno next presumably.....

I’d give it until the summer before he’s talking about how good a fit Bobby is for Barca.

I give it until the end of April when they’re knocked out of the CL, preferably by us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

mightyreds wrote: »
    Jesus there in the humour thread , starting threads about it, they'll be in here next, it really is little Christmas for the utd fans

Frighting to think M!ck is a grown man :pac::pac:

They will probably admit coutinho is world class now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

He'll take no more free kicks that's for sure. Messi will rule as he does.
    Could be 5 years before we see the add ons, it's a cheap fee up front.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Moreno next presumably.....

Heard its a buy Couts get his boyfriend free.....:D:D

mightyreds wrote: »

When you’re own team is buy sh!t like Lukaku and Lindelof it’s easy to see why they’re so excited by it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

First Lucas

Now Coutinho,

Our Brazilian contingent has taken a big knock over the last 6 months!!

I hope Bobby has lots of non Brazilian friends at the club!!

We should sign another Brazilian, a sound lad!
    He doesn’t even have to be good!
    Just be good friends with Bobby

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

ricero wrote: »
    Frighting to think M!ck is a grown man

Based on what? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

I will reserve my judgement until the end of the month...

You will in your swiss! That's like 14yo corwill promising to give up tearing the guts out of himself.

I'll tell you this - from here on sign North Africans instead of South Americans!

Mick-Jagger-as-a-Baby--45104.jpg
    Frighting to think M!ck is a grown man :pac::pac:

They will probably admit coutinho is world class now :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Who needs Coutinho's free kicks when your new centre half can do this?

ThirstyWatchfulGelada.gif
    DecentForsakenAmericankestrel.gif
    giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I'd like to see someone who can take the pressure off Mane and Salah come into the club this month. There are no Coutinho replacements available. A goal scoring wide attacker is what we need.

No player could turn down the chance to go the Barca, he done well for Liverpool and gave his all, could never question his loyalty or effort when on pitch.
    He deserved his dream to come true, he has a great talent and a great family. I wish him luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I'd like to see someone who can take the pressure off Mane and Salah come into the club this month. There are no Coutinho replacements available. A goal scoring wide attacker is what we need.

I said it jokingly and I doubt anything would come from it but I'd genuinely like to see us have a go at Griezmann.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭DeanAustin

No player could turn down the chance to go the Barca, he done well for Liverpool and gave his all, could never question his loyalty or effort when on pitch.
    He deserved his dream to come true, he has a great talent and a great family. I wish him luck.

Why couldn’t someone turn down Barca? Personally, I think he’s disrespected your club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,191 ✭✭✭✭sligeach

Liverpool have lost a great player and the Premiership will be poorer viewing for his loss. Still think they should have waited until the summer where I think his price would have gone up at least another £30 million after the World Cup.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Kenny in the second half, fouled Robertson (clear pull on the arm), and he turned and you could see him mouth to the ref “f*** off”. Did he mention that?
    Winter must want games stopped early as soon as a team is below 7 players.

You know what? I asked him. No reply surprisingly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

DeanAustin wrote: »
    Why couldn’t someone turn down Barca? Personally, I think he’s disrespected your club.
    Nah. The “injuries” were a disrespect, but not wanting to move on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I said it jokingly and I doubt anything would come from it but I'd genuinely like to see us have a go at Griezmann.

I couldn't see him coming to Liverpool with Barca waiting in the background.

Lemar seems the obvious one, just go and do it.

Warming slightly to the idea of Mahrez but I just don't think he is a Klopp type. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Profits means **** all to you and me. Players and the points they bring are what matters. Someone as close to his level as replacement is needed.If Liverpool finish outside the top 4 , 9 figures on fsg's balance sheet is no consolation.

DeanAustin wrote: »

He'll speak fondly of Liverpool and Klopp for allowing this to happen. We held all the cards, and in the end granted him his wish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,592 ✭✭✭brevity

Meh, paid 8m got 140m

Not sure why people are odd.

It just needs to be spent intelligently now.

We should give Carroll another shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Never forgave him for going missing so badly in the Europa final.

But really it was too good a price to turn down for a player who made it abundantly clear he wanted to leave the club and was willing to strike to force the move.

martyos121 wrote: »
    We should give Carroll another shot.

Like....a gun shot? Bit OTT....

Is the money including add ons or what's the story?

• Advertisement

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Is the money including add ons or what's the story?

Pearce said 105M up front, the rest in achievable add-ons....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

brevity wrote: »
    Meh, paid 8m got 140m

Not sure why people are odd.

It just needs to be spent intelligently now.

Football is about winning and going deep in tournaments. We just sold possibly our best player while we're still competing in three tournaments effecting our chances of winning/getting back in the CL. It's pretty ****ing annoying!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

25 days and counting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Must admit I'm still a bit puzzled why we are bending to Coutinho's demands when he has over four years left on his contract. I'm all for getting rid of him at this point but leaving in January should have been non-negotiable.

I feel this way too, we just had to keep him till summer. Having brought in VVD to shore up the defence and with the fab four firing on all fronts I thought we might have a really decent go at the Champions League. In tight European games Coutinho would have been the lynch pin to make magic happen. Last night alone showed how much we are going to miss his creativity and without him its going to be difficult to unlock the best of defences in the CL.

I think we did well then.

Surely Klopp can get a keeper, DM and attacking midfielder with this cash and whatever else is to spend. I'm assuming we have more to spend.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

As an aside, Barcelona's behaviour is exactly why I was fúcking delighted PSG got Neymar the way they did and Barca got so butthurt about it.

They get away with their shíte every fúcking year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

The way the VVD transfer has been structured means that LFC’s payments will be made in three equal instalments of £23.3m over the next 3 years, with £4m in performance related addons. Celtic's 10% sell-on fee means that Saints have less than £17m from the sale to spend this month - Matt Hughes, Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/football-notebook-virgil-van-dijk-fee-will-not-lead-southampton-to-spend-big-ph85g7bln

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

Gutted.

And 105m up front is'nt nearly enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

Just fed up with the lack of ambition, not like there isn't anything left to play for this season.

Spineless.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Claimed he was injured to push through a move.
    Pushed for a movehalf way through the season.
    And no has apparently paid €15m of his own money to push through the move.

Don't see how any Liverpool fan can be anything but bitter towards him after that. He could've signed a pre contract agreement and waited just 6 more months to move on.

We seem to always get our pants pulled down in the transfer market whether it's outgoings or incomings .. Alonso, Masch, Suarez, Carroll, Benteke, Henderson (although looks like value now). Now we are going to have to pay 90m for Lemar who has done very little to prove his worth that much.

Imo, losing Coutinho, whether we replace him or not, means no top 4. We'll get past Porto but won't go further than that in CL. Last night we create f*** all and we had a very attacking side out. We got lucky with a penalty and scored from a corner. Although I think Salah is great, slotting him into that teams improves us, but Coutinho is the player that makes us tick and will be a huge loss to our attack.

Sorry for the negative perspective, haha I'm sure in the long run we'll be fine but keeping hold of Coutinho would have properly put us back in the big time with VVD and Keita coming along! Two steps forward, one step back..

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement