Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,409 ✭✭✭✭gimli2112

sometimes awesome often average ching ching we just southamptoned them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

I have no doubt Coutinho will play in front 3 at Barca. He's at his best there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭kevohmsford

Shame to see Coutinho leave. He is a fantastic player. Does it show a lack of ambition from the club to cash in on arguably our best player? Will be very hard to replace him.

Knex. wrote: »
    The way the VVD transfer has been structured means that LFC’s payments will be made in three equal instalments of £23.3m over the next 3 years, with £4m in performance related addons. Celtic's 10% sell-on fee means that Saints have less than £17m from the sale to spend this month - Matt Hughes, Times

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/football-notebook-virgil-van-dijk-fee-will-not-lead-southampton-to-spend-big-ph85g7bln

That is FSG at work. That's a great deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,737 ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Can we take that £105M up front cash, and buy 2 or 3 of the top 5 goal keepers in the world at the moment, and hope at least 1 of them won’t be pants for us.

• Advertisement

We must have a lot of money for transfers if Southampton only got 23m for VVD.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

I blame Yoko Ono.

DS4GOBaWkAATdRK.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

His 'thank you lfc' insta post will go down.like a lead baloon lol

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Claimed he was injured to push through a move.
    Pushed for a movehalf way through the season.
    And no has apparently paid €15m of his own money to push through the move.

Don't see how any Liverpool fan can be anything but bitter towards him after that. He could've signed a pre contract agreement and waited just 6 more months to move on.

We seem to always get our pants pulled down in the transfer market whether it's outgoings or incomings .. Alonso, Masch, Suarez, Carroll, Benteke, Henderson (although looks like value now). Now we are going to have to pay 90m for Lemar who has done very little to prove his worth that much.

Imo, losing Coutinho, whether we replace him or not, means no top 4. We'll get past Porto but won't go further than that in CL. Last night we create f*** all and we had a very attacking side out. We got lucky with a penalty and scored from a corner. Although I think Salah is great, slotting him into that teams improves us, but Coutinho is the player that makes us tick and will be a huge loss to our attack.

Sorry for the negative perspective, haha I'm sure in the long run we'll be fine but keeping hold of Coutinho would have properly put us back in the big time with VVD and Keita coming along! Two steps forward, one step back..

Paid 15m of his own money? Sounds ridiculous

Not questioning you but where is the source linking this info?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭theballz

Very difficult for any player to turn down the possibility of playing for Barcelona. I wish him the best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Shame to see Coutinho leave. He is a fantastic player. Does it show a lack of ambition from the club to cash in on arguably our best player? Will be very hard to replace him.

Irreplaceable simply.

Will really miss seeing him play for us.

Salah has been superb but Coutinho was our best player imo.

Lemar hopefully can come in and hit the level of Mane straight off fingers crossed and perhaps improve beyond that.

Keita to strengthen the midfield 3 in the summer.

We still have a good squad but it's a huge blow.

Hard to see us pushing on and challenging City next year without Coutinho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Martin Tyler gets all excited about VVD's goal against Everton :P

https://streamable.com/kcxvr

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Echo going with Thomas Lemar as top target - not sure that's just a general news story or if it's Pearce - I refuse to click the website.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Martin Tyler gets all excited about VVD's goal against Everton :P

https://streamable.com/kcxvr

Tyler really hates Liverpool, really hates - I mean really! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Schwanz

Massive loss to Liverpool.

Pool to struggle for fourth now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Sell Coutinho but get in VvD and Lemar and we've probably got a better squad going into the second half of the season than the squad that started it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

Psg looking to offload moura,could be decent deal to be done

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Nope.

Klopp obviously felt he wasn't worth keeping around. We don't know what's going on behind closed doors, or what was even said in the summer.

I'd have preferred him to stay, but it's not about lack of ambition.

• Advertisement

Add £20m for Sturridge.
    £5m for Markovic

That will be close to £170m brought in this January.

We should be able to get a Keeper, Holding Midfielder and another attacker for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

I felt signing VVD showed ambition, but then the rumours of Coutinho leaving this window were building. Was VVD bought with Coutinho money? Depends on who is to replace Coutinho I suppose..

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

Coutinho pulls off some magic moments but i'm not bothered in the slightest by him going ... Blows too hot and cold and too slight...People forget, there's been plenty of games where he was very average all throughout his time at the club - If the club is to push on a player that can dominate games regularly is needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

No point in prolonging the situation so Klopp did what was best for the team. It's a bit unfair to suggest it shows a lack of ambition. Hand is forced.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

One step forward, two back, the Liverpool way, very frustrating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Echo going with Thomas Lemar as top target - not sure that's just a general news story or if it's Pearce - I refuse to click the website.

It's the other fella who knows nothing. Oliver Bond, I think?

Anyway, he also says we might try and Keita this Jan - something that absolutely will not happen.

Safe to say he hasn't a clue.

The Ketia bonus payment price we paid is linked to where Red Bull finish in the league so I don't see them letting him go.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

theballz wrote: »
    Very difficult for any player to turn down the possibility of playing for Barcelona. I wish him the best of luck

No one said turn them down. Pretty much everyone expected him to him in the summer at this stage. It's the timing of going now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Can't believe we letting him go in Jan,we hold all the aces yet still manage to make a balls of it,whatever money we get needs to be put back into the team

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kopite386

Well that's that then confirmed from the club. Shame it's the January window but sure what could be done .
    We need to get his replacement this window as waiting to the summer will feck up the season massively. Right now we don't have a playmaker capable of scoring goals every match

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Schwanz wrote: »
    Massive loss to Liverpool.

Pool to struggle for fourth now.

He has only played in two thirds of our league games this year. He'll be missed but we've a decent win rate without him as well.

Barca's buy out clause for Couthino is 400m apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Hilarious if PSG triggered it next week :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Klopp has got us sitting in 4th, three points off 2nd in spite of not having his first choice central defender until yesterday.

I think Klopp's got this one covered lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

No on said turn them down. Pretty much everyone expected him to him in the summer at this stage. It's the timing of going now.

For me anyway once we managed to hold onto him last summer I thought that was it put to bed until next summer.

I was genuinely surprised to see it become an issue again this month but once it did, there was a risk that prolonged speculation and drama could have hurt the team going into the last couple of months of the season.

So to me Klopp has done what's best for the team and put it to bed early in the window. I do believe this will work out for the best for all involved.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

We can save up and make our move to bring him back in the Summer!

Come home Philippe!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Club have confirmed it on the site.

So that's that then.

Wish it went down differently but that's life

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

Klopp:

Jürgen Klopp offered his reaction to the news Liverpool Football Club have today reached an agreement with FC Barcelona for the transfer of Philippe Coutinho, subject to the player passing a medical and agreeing personal terms with the La Liga side.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: “It is with great reluctance that we – as a team and club – prepare to say farewell to a good friend, a wonderful person and a fantastic player in Philippe Coutinho.

“It is no secret that Philippe has wanted this move to happen since July, when Barcelona first made their interest known.

“Philippe was insistent with me, the owners and even his teammates this was a move he was desperate to make happen.

“Despite that, we managed to keep the player here beyond the summer window, hoping that we would be able to persuade him to stay and be part of what we are looking to do.

“I can tell the Liverpool supporters that we, as a club, have done everything within our means to convince Philippe that remaining part of LFC was as attractive as moving to Spain, but he is 100 per cent certain his future – and that of his family – belongs at Barcelona. It is his dream and I am now convinced there is nothing left at our disposal to change his mind.

“Philippe has made a fantastic contribution to this club over his five years of service and as disappointed as we are he doesn’t want to extend that, the relationship we have for him means with a heavy heart we wish him well.

“The player remained dedicated and committed to helping us win matches, producing good performances and training hard each day at Melwood after the summer window had closed, despite failing to convince us to allow him to leave during that period and that level of professionalism reflects positively on him.

“Of course, it is totally understandable that supporters will be disappointed; this is always the case when you have to say goodbye to someone special. But, as hard as it is sometimes to accept, it is part of life and part of football – individuals have their own dreams and their own goals and objectives in life.

“Players will come and players will go, that is football, but as a club we are big enough and strong enough to continue with our aggressive progression on the pitch, even when we lose an important player. We have never been in a better position in recent times, as a club, to react in the right way. We will use our size and strength to absorb moments like this and still move forward.

“I have been here long enough now to know in the history of Liverpool, key players have left before – but the club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.

“I have so much belief in the talent we have here already and even more faith, together with our owners, that we will make continued investment into the playing squad, which will allow more growth and more improvement.

“So as we bid farewell to Philippe, we continue on our path of progress and development as we work towards our common goal of bringing trophies back to Anfield.”

We are a team that has been in the CL twice in the last decade and have had 4 title tilts in 25 odd years.

When/if we are regularly challenging for major trophies in the years to come players will be happy enough to stay until then out best players won't turn down moves to Barca/Madrid/Juve/PSG/Munich if they get the chance to move to those clubs.

We are on the right track to do that with these owners and manager but it doesn't happen overnight or in one season.

DS4TvBoW0AEPk9z.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

In fairness, that's a great statement from Klopp.

Klopp:

“I have been here long enough now to know in the history of Liverpool, key players have left before – but the club always goes on. You cannot transfer the heart and soul of Liverpool Football Club, although I am sure there are many clubs who would like to buy it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Klopp:

Jürgen Klopp offered his reaction to the news Liverpool Football Club have today reached an agreement with FC Barcelona for the transfer of Philippe Coutinho, subject to the player passing a medical and agreeing personal terms with the La Liga side.

He told Liverpoolfc.com: “It is with great reluctance that we – as a team and club – prepare to say farewell to a good friend, a wonderful person and a fantastic player in Philippe Coutinho.

“It is no secret that Philippe has wanted this move to happen since July, when Barcelona first made their interest known.

“Philippe was insistent with me, the owners and even his teammates this was a move he was desperate to make happen.

“Despite that, we managed to keep the player here beyond the summer window, hoping that we would be able to persuade him to stay and be part of what we are looking to do.

“I can tell the Liverpool supporters that we, as a club, have done everything within our means to convince Philippe that remaining part of LFC was as attractive as moving to Spain, but he is 100 per cent certain his future – and that of his family – belongs at Barcelona. It is his dream and I am now convinced there is nothing left at our disposal to change his mind.

“Philippe has made a fantastic contribution to this club over his five years of service and as disappointed as we are he doesn’t want to extend that, the relationship we have for him means with a heavy heart we wish him well.

“The player remained dedicated and committed to helping us win matches, producing good performances and training hard each day at Melwood after the summer window had closed, despite failing to convince us to allow him to leave during that period and that level of professionalism reflects positively on him.

“Of course, it is totally understandable that supporters will be disappointed; this is always the case when you have to say goodbye to someone special. But, as hard as it is sometimes to accept, it is part of life and part of football – individuals have their own dreams and their own goals and objectives in life.

“Players will come and players will go, that is football, but as a club we are big enough and strong enough to continue with our aggressive progression on the pitch, even when we lose an important player. We have never been in a better position in recent times, as a club, to react in the right way. We will use our size and strength to absorb moments like this and still move forward.

“I have so much belief in the talent we have here already and even more faith, together with our owners, that we will make continued investment into the playing squad, which will allow more growth and more improvement.

“So as we bid farewell to Philippe, we continue on our path of progress and development as we work towards our common goal of bringing trophies back to Anfield.”

Excellent statement. Club and management kept him as long as possible and it is down to Cout why he is leaving now.

The Nike ad was right.
    Philippe-Coutinho.jpg

We are a team that has been in the CL twice in the last decade and have had 4 title tilts in 25 odd years.

When/if we are regularly challenging for major trophies in the years to come players will be happy enough to stay until then out best players won't turn down moves to Barca/Madrid/Juve/PSG/Munich if they get the chance to move to those clubs.

We are on the right track to do that with these owners and manager but it doesn't happen overnight or in one season.

That creates its own vicious circle though. If we keep falling short, this will continue to happen unfortunately. Must say all the euphoria I was feeling with VVD and last night's result has evaporated this evening...........:(.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,086 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Liverpool site f**ked, should invest in a little extra capacity also with Coutinho funds

Add £20m for Sturridge.
    £5m for Markovic

That will be close to £170m brought in this January.

We should be able to get a Keeper, Holding Midfielder and another attacker for that.

If we do that I'll be delighted.

Not sure we will this window, but hopefully between this and the summer one.

We need to insist on crazy 400m buyout clause like Barca do. That is the world we live in now. Buy a young classy player and give him a 250m buyout clause. We need to spend now.

That creates its own vicious circle though. If we keep falling short, this will continue to happen unfortunately. Must say all the euphoria I was feeling with VVD and last night's result has evaporated this evening...........:(.

Mane turned utd down to play with us and Klopp.
    Ketia turned down Barca to play with us and Klopp.
    VVD turned down City to play for us and Klopp.
    Ox turned down a new contract and Chelsea to play for us and Klopp.
    Salah wanted to join us and play for Klopp.

Things at the club are on the up and when all is said and done we got stupid money for a player who isn't world class yet.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement