Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ardent wrote: »
    Sorry for the off-topic question...

What ever happened to mike65 - he was a regular contributor to these threads?
    He regenerated into a fictional poorly paid 1960s spy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I'm pretty "new" here but I think he still posts here regularly under a new name. Rhymes with Larry Embalmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

He left on 90,081 posts. A number that I've never been able to forgive him for.

State of it.

When it was mentioned in commentary I got depressed, one has brought us so much while the other has given away to so many! :pac:

The thing with Mignolet is that he has improved considerably since Klopp arrived, to the point where he is in the bracket of keepers just under elite level in my opinion. I've compared the top 5 keepers on Squawka and it shows Mignolet is comparable to Lloris but way off De Gea, Ederson and Courtois.

Getting an elite keeper is going to be difficult. I heard Guilleme Ballague mention that he expects Courtois to leave Chelsea for Real Madrid this summer, that would leave Chelsea in the market for a top keeper also. Oblak seems like the one who might be obtainable but he is likely to attract the attention of some top clubs across Europe if that is the case.

Joyce has spoken on VVD

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/southampton-resigned-to-losing-70m-virgil-van-dijk-c8vbjpv8l
    Southampton are resigned to selling Virgil van Dijk next month and will seek to raise £70 million by setting up an auction between Manchester City and Liverpool. The Holland defender was left out of Southampton’s squad again yesterday and the south-coast club will now seek to maximise his transfer fee.

The Times reported on December 15 that City were keen on Van Dijk and were ready to compete with Liverpool for the 26-year-old centre back, who had wanted to leave Anfield throughout the summer. Liverpool publicly pulled out of the chase after being accused of tapping up the defender but have been building bridges behind the scenes through Mike Gordon, president of Fenway Sports Group, the club’s owners. City’s unbeaten start to the Premier League season makes them an attractive alternative proposition.

Southampton’s performance at Wembley yesterday provided a worrying glimpse into the future. Mauricio Pellegrino is under increasing pressure after overseeing only one win from their past 11 league games and the manager’s decision to omit the Dutchman backfired. Leaving out your primary central defender against Huddersfield Town at home is one thing, but omitting him when you are facing Tottenham and a Harry Kane in this kind of mood at Wembley is quite another.

When questioned about his decision to drop Van Dijk for a second successive Premier League game, Pellegrino said: “I decided it’s best for the team as there is a lot of speculation around.

“We win, draw and lose, with and without Virgil. In this squad I have a lot of players that can play. We are used to changes. We can’t use this as an excuse. We have to wait until January. I can’t control the market and we’ll see what happens.

“He is part of our club and he is an important player for us, but we’ll see what happens. I can’t control the whispers and news from outside. It’s difficult for me to control what happens outside.”

Southampton stood firm when Liverpool came calling during the summer and Van Dijk has looked a shadow of his former self since the move collapsed. “At the time we tried to do the best for the team,” added Pellegrino.

“The board decided to try to keep our best player at the club. This situation is a big learning curve for everybody and now we decide what is the best for the club.”

Southampton are walking head first into a relegation battle but Pellegrino, who replaced Claude Puel in the summer, may not be around to see it. His own supporters called for his head but the Argentinian remained defiant over his future.

“It was a difficult moment today, but it’s important to know how people react,” he said. “You can realise how people really are and which are the players who want to fight 100 per cent for the club.

“It will help me draw a lot of conclusions. We need a couple of results to change the mood and show our best personality on the pitch.”

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,056 ✭✭✭SuperTortoise

I would really like us to move away from VVD, i never rated him that highly and his loyalty and attitude must also be questioned since his form has dropped off a cliff since the summer.

If we do sign him then i hope i'm wrong about him because it's an awful lot of money, even in todays crazy market.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

A penny for the Southamptons boards thoughts? I'd say they are kicking themselves over not cashing in during the summer. 70 odd million for an injured defender who handed in a transfer request and was in reality never going to have his heart in it when he came back from injury. The current Southampton team look rubbish, if that 70 million had been reinvested if they sold vvd in the summer they'd probably be in a better spot right now.

I would really like us to move away from VVD, i never rated him that highly and his loyalty and attitude must also be questioned since his form has dropped off a cliff since the summer.

If we do sign him then i hope i'm wrong about him because it's an awful lot of money, even in todays crazy market.

There is a certain cognitive dissonance surrounding Van Dijk I think it's fair to say. We all know the price is mad, all suspect there is comparable talent out there for less, is he actually very good anyway, and that he might be 'trouble' and yet if he goes to City this place will flipping explode in rage - about Klopp and esp about FSG, with a bit left over for VVD/City/Soton. :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

There is a certain cognitive dissonance surrounding Van Dijk I think it's fair to say. We all know the price is mad, all suspect there is comparable talent out there for less and that he might be 'trouble' and yet if he goes to City this place will flipping explode in rage - about Klopp and esp about FSG, with a bit left over for VVD/City/Soton.:p

If anyone deserves it it’s them. The player made his intentions clear with a transfer request and they should’ve done the decent thing, thanked him for what he’d done and wished him well.

hehe

• Advertisement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,367 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Coutinho is our most talented player.
    Salah is our most direct and incisive.

But I honestly believe Firmino is our best, and criminally underrated by almost everyone outside of Liverpool.

SlickRic wrote: »

But I honestly believe Firmino is our best, and criminally underrated by almost everyone outside of Liverpool.

I think Firmino should be given the number 7 shirt, deserves to be playing in it. The Brazilian Dalglish!

16 goals in 27, better than 1 in 2 imo.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

Firmino is everything klopp wants in a cf and the only thing lacking was consistent goal scoring and now he's regularly finding the net. What a fcuking guy, plays with a massive smile all the time, go ed Bobby.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

he is the glue that binds the front line together, i think if he had been playing versus Everton, then IMO Mane passes the ball :mad:

• Advertisement

Easy to see why the supporters were quick to adopt the Bobby Firmino chant while a certain other forward has never had something comparable - he's a gas. Like Suarez without the malice!

Flanno is on the road to ruin or something -

https://twitter.com/LFCroundup/status/945992795633930240
    Liverpool FC player Jon Flanagan has been charged with assault following an incident in the city centre.

He's perfect for Kloppball

Also love the fact that he drags Coutinho into the celebrations despite Coutinho being about as comfortable as a sober person being dragged onto the dance floor at the Christmas party.

Hope Flanagan doesn’t defend himself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,941 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

And plenty of Liverpool fans at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,650 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If anyone deserves it it’s them. The player made his intentions clear with a transfer request and they should’ve done the decent thing, thanked him for what he’d done and wished him well.

hehe

No man, fvck him.
    Compare his attitude to that of coutinho since August, chalk and cheese. Cout has been mega professional, and has continued to deliver performances, rather than sulking.
    We don't need to add a half rotten apple into the barrel if you ask me, he'll drop us like a hot snot if it suits him in another 18 months of it suits him.

Knex. wrote: »
    Joyce has spoken on VVD

He basically just regurgitated the Kevin Palmer story so much for Joyce being in the know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,504 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Easy to see why the supporters were quick to adopt the Bobby Firmino chant while a certain other forward has never had something comparable - he's a gas. Like Suarez without the malice!

full

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

First!

The expectation on Virgil if he signs for us would be immense. He might have to play with Klavan or lovren frequently too. Add in our system isn't really CB friendly.

He's behaving less than impeccably at S'ton at times..... not really displaying huge character.

Kloppo might be better off missing out on him IMO for the greater good of the big picture.

If city want him and outbid us I'd be surprised if he comes to anfield. City might be cynically just edging the price up too....one never knows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,406 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Some Southampton ITK has some interesting things to say:

https://np.reddit.com/r/SaintsFC/comments/7m3fl6/transfer_thread_prejan/drsi39o/

Kostas Manolas would be cheaper, and better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Augeo wrote: »
    The expectation on Virgil if he signs for us would be immense. He might have to play with Klavan or lovren frequently too. Add in our system isn't really CB friendly.

He's behaving less than impeccably at S'ton at times..... not really displaying huge character.

Kloppo might be better off missing out on him IMO for the greater good of the big picture.

If city want him and outbid us I'd be surprised if he comes to anfield. City might be cynically just edging the price up too....one never knows.

I hope he comes, Gary Breen made some very interesting points about him last week on NT, says he is exactly what we need, top class defender who can mix it but also defend on the floor whether through the centre or out wide.
    Says he can sometimes switch off but not because he is lazy, but because the game is too easy for him and that he probably needs a defensive partner or a goalkeeper that is vocal to keep him from falling asleep.
    Breen also praised Klopp in that his pursuit of VVD is a sign that he knows exactly the type of player he wants and will not waiver.
    He also heard that VVD wants to play for Klopp and that Klopp has sold VVD on Anfield and the potential to become a Liverpool Legend.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

UDzP44g.jpg

You're on fire today!!! Keep her lit!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Kostus Toomuchus is also out of contact. Worth a punt.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,506 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

mosstin wrote: »

Costacurta would probably pay us to take him on, another superior option to Lovren at centre back even at 51.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,620 ✭✭✭Damien360

mosstin wrote: »

:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,302 ✭✭✭✭rob316

If Klopp wants him Klopp should get him and for that reason I'm 100% behind it. If he can identify a top class CB aswell as he can an attacking player we will be just fine. Klopp has yet to buy bad

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Van dijk would be a future lfc captain. Really hope the club pulls of this deal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,071 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

He basically just regurgitated the Kevin Palmer story so much for Joyce being in the know.

He's fairly definitely the best source on Liverpool stuff, but at the end of the day, only when it suits the club. He's their mouthpiece when they want something public, but of course much of the time they don't, in which cases, he's no better than anyone else. Still better to have someone accurate 30% of the time, than the flukey 5% of most other sports journos.

~Rebel~ wrote: »
    He's fairly definitely the best source on Liverpool stuff, but at the end of the day, only when it suits the club. He's their mouthpiece when they want something public, but of course much of the time they don't, in which cases, he's no better than anyone else. Still better to have someone accurate 30% of the time, than the flukey 5% of most other sports journos.

Still he is regurgitating that flukeys story like he is ITK.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Vicxas wrote: »
    Some Southampton ITK has some interesting things to say:

https://np.reddit.com/r/SaintsFC/comments/7m3fl6/transfer_thread_prejan/drsi39o/

Gas that some of them would prefer to sell him to City for up to 10M less.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Having Shane long up front for you would you make you very very bitter.

Same with us really isn't it I would rather sell Coutinho to Madrid or PSG for a couple of million less instead of Barca.

• Advertisement

Paulinho is the latest Barca player to speak out in public about Coutinho.

He is going to help Coutinho find somewhere to live when he joins in January
    "I joke that people are already looking for a house for him. I try to give him the basic information, what is most important for him and his family, because maybe the time he spent here [while on loan at Espanyol] was not enough to know the city, but he knows that Barcelona is a very good city that offers everything for him and his family.
    "Now we have to wait until the transfer can be made in January for him to come here."

I hope the Franco government closes down Smug Git CF

Liverpool need to agree with sale, and name price publicly and stick too it. Price is going up with every game.
    Now it's 175m if they offer 80m tell them price is now 185m. We hold all the cards, but it still would not surprise me that they screw it up and sell for 90, 20m up front and 70m when he becomes first man on Mars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Form of his life, price is only rising. I would not even entertain offers until after the world cup. Could get 200+ at that stage

We all know he's leaving though, and everyone is ok with it. We need to replace him and sell him at our price, not theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Barnavave

Same with us really isn't it I would rather sell Coutinho to Madrid or PSG for a couple of million less instead of Barca.

He'll go to Barca in the summer, they will pay whatever we want. The club will move on and buy more attacking midfielders and ignore the goalkeeping and defensive issues.
    Rinse and repeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

I'd absolutely love if we sold him to Real Madrid in the summer. I mean, I'd much rather not sell at all of course but if he has to go, anywhere other than Barca would be my preference at this stage.

Salah Coutiho and Firmino would lead Madrid to glory for next 7 years.

Half a billion for all three.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

Salah Coutiho and Firmino would lead Madrid to glory for next 7 years.

Half a billion for all three.

We can replace them with Rickie Lambert and Mario Balotelli again.

They could lead us to glory too if club would actually buy a decent keeper, CB and LB.
    With Keita on board next season we should win league, if we get Vertigo Van Dick and a keeper .

John Flanagan could be charged with assault every time his face is visible in a public domain, to be fair.

Surprised it didn't happen sooner.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement