Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I've seen a lot of Barca journos salivating, calling Coutinho the long term successor to Iniesta.

Coutinho is brilliant, but he's nothing like Iniesta.

Coutinho has never controlled a game in his life. Coutinho is a player of magic moments, pieces of play that change games.

That's what they're buying.

Basically (and he's not nearly as good as either of these players)...he's more Neymar than he is Xavi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Every loss every dropped point will now be down to Coutinho leaving, that is how some will see it, we do get to play another player though, we're not starting with ten men.
    The way I look at it we need a creative midfielder, Coutinho was a front 3 player until Salah arrived, yes he dropped back into midfield but he was no master there yet. We need a ready made proven creative midfielder now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Any chance Ozil might sign as Coutinho's replacement? What's the relationship like between him and Klopp?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

doc_17 wrote: »
    Yes they are. But I’d still prefer them over Real Madrid

Someone hit the nail on the head yesterday. Great team, sh!tstain of a club.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

How much would you love him?

I'd say no more that £40M

If ox was 40 mharez is 60 easy
    Didn't Roma offer 40m last summer and got turned down..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Esse85 wrote: »
    Any chance Ozil might sign as Coutinho's replacement? What's the relationship like between him and Klopp?

If a player can be judged by how well he plays against your club then he isn't good enough - he's shone for about 10 minutes against Liverpool in three years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

I see a Chinese club offered 72 million euro for aubameyang and it was accepted wonder should LfC stick in a bid

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,597 ✭✭✭Ferris_Bueller

No point in being angry at anyone, once Barcelona wanted him it was always going to happen, just a matter of when and how much. The when is not ideal but I think we can be happy enough with the fee.

The real question is what we do from here, at the very least we need a replacement for Coutinho in this window. Lemar would be ideal, not sure how I would feel about Mahrez. You would hope we will invest the £140m wisely but we have generally not done a good job of replacing our big players (although Klopp has made some good signings), GK and midfielder are also going to be needed at some stage but we could possibly wait until summer for those. My big worry is that we won't get a replacement for Coutinho in January and we will struggle to create opportunities for the rest of the season, it would be unacceptable to lose him and then not sign a replacement midway through the season. Big few weeks ahead before the window closes and as others have said it will arguably be Klopps biggest challenge as Liverpool manager to date.

Good luck to Coutinho, a player I really enjoyed watching over the past 5 years and one who I'm sure will do well at Barcelona.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Disappointed that anyone supposedly clued up about the club would think this is the case. Coutinho did not frame the last tranche of transfers - Salah, Kieta, VVD and Ox_Cham were all budgeted for last year. Coutinho's money will be part of the balance sheet for the next couple of years.

I hope you're right, but it's a feeling I have that I just can't shake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I see a Chinese club offered 72 million euro for aubameyang and it was accepted wonder should LfC stick in a bid

Any player of that quality in his prime that wants to go to China really isn't they kind of player I'd be looking for to play for my club.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

BVB (Zorc) saying this evening they havent accepted or received any offers....;);)

Sorry Update:

Stöger now saying the deal isnt finalised..... could mean anything really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Esse85 wrote: »

A player who has one good game in every ten,no thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,800 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

Super-Rush wrote: »
    I hope you're right, but it's a feeling I have that I just can't shake.
    Only said it the other day, the VVD signing was only forward spending the Coutinho cash.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

I'm surprised Barcelona's biggest fanboy, Andersonisgod hasn't been in to talk down to us. Actually I haven't noticed him for a while...does he still talk down to everyone post here or what?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

No point in being angry at anyone, once Barcelona wanted him it was always going to happen, just a matter of when and how much. The when is not ideal but I think we can be happy enough with the fee.

The real question is what we do from here, at the very least we need a replacement for Coutinho in this window. Lemar would be ideal, not sure how I would feel about Mahrez. You would hope we will invest the £140m wisely but we have generally not done a good job of replacing our big players (although Klopp has made some good signings), GK and midfielder are also going to be needed at some stage but we could possibly wait until summer for those. My big worry is that we won't get a replacement for Coutinho in January and we will struggle to create opportunities for the rest of the season, it would be unacceptable to lose him and then not sign a replacement midway through the season. Big few weeks ahead before the window closes and as others have said it will arguably be Klopps biggest challenge as Liverpool manager to date.

Good luck to Coutinho, a player I really enjoyed watching over the past 5 years and one who I'm sure will do well at Barcelona.

100%

He was the most creative player we had at tbe club. I see Lallana being touted by some as an acceptable replacement for him and this has me even more worried.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

eyerer wrote: »
    Didn't Roma offer 40m last summer and got turned down..
    It was reported that Leicester reduced their asking price from £50M to £40M but Roma were only willing to offer £32M including add-ons. The previous summer he was offered to Arsenal for £35M.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Alisson and Lemar should be priority for now but we will also need another CM maybe even 2 more come the summer

I'm surprised Barcelona's biggest fanboy, Andersonisgod hasn't been in to talk down to us. Actually I haven't noticed him for a while...does he still talk down to everyone post here or what?

No has posted in months.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

No has posted in months.

Tbf his posts are more intelligent than some others I've seen today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

redzerdrog wrote: »
    Alisson and Lemar should be priority for now but we will also need another CM maybe even 2 more come the summer

Allison didn't look too hot in the roma game this afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

ERG89 wrote: »

As he likes to tell everybody.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Very disappointed with the fee.

Thought we held all the cards.

Purely from a relative basis of recent fees I thought we could have be there barca over for more.

Its still a very good front three and Lallana back to help etc but we must have done our chances of fourth some damage there.

The real question is what we do from here, at the very least we need a replacement for Coutinho in this window.
    It's an opportunity to better balance the team. As good as Coutinho is he isn't a player we could rely upon in the midfield three and now we are left with a first choice forward trio that can rotate positions in a game.

I don't think Mahrez is the right player for the team but maybe Klopp could get more of what is needed from him. Lemar would offer more but may be too similar to what we already have in the squad.

Sergej Milinkovic-Savic would offer the possibility of creativity from a deeper position and add an extra bit of bite to the midfield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

No has posted in months.

Didn't he get caught out posting elsewhere about how he trolls the boards soccer forum with his Barca stick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

Not ideal timing but a very good fee (including more or less guaranteed add on's) secured which will only enhance Klopps ability to bring in the players he wants.

I don't blame anyone for wanting to progress their career in whatever direction they prefer. We can all get upset at losing a super player but like all modern clubs Liverpool employ professional players with zero emotional connection to the city or club so we shouldn't be surprised when the dysfunctional contact system football insists on adopting creates such drama.

Good luck to Coutinho, he contributed a lot to the resurgence of the club and the club helped him develop into one of the best young players in the world. Quid pro quo.

There should be no bad feelings but I'm sure plenty of fans who were singing his name a few weeks ago will be cursing him now which is a shame.

Someone mentioned earlier that FSG are shambolic as it's one step forward and two back. Anyone who really thinks that in the cold light of day is just being emotional or prejudiced.

It may be two steps forward (Salah + VVD + Ox + Robertson) and one step back (Coutinho) but rarely does the progress of any team or any project/endeavour trend perfectly upwards in a straight line.

I trust Klopp to make the right decisions on who comes and goes and I believe he will not stop until we are back winning trophies and genuinely contending for the PL and hopefully CL. If he thinks now is the best time to let Coutinho join Barca that's 100% ok with me.

• Advertisement

Let's not now go looking for an Andy Carroll level replacement!
    Jonjo Shelvey is available!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

Talisman wrote: »
    Sergej Milinkovic-Savic would offer the possibility of creativity from a deeper position and add an extra bit of bite to the midfield.

Very good player but would cost a kings ransom. Apparently turned down a €70m bid last summer for him and he's been better this season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Lallana has missed 49 games for us since he joined, its great he's back, but thats a hell of a lot.......21 missed this season already, hopefully he'll stay fit for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Bein now saying we've put in €55m for Mahrez, I don't necessarily believe them but feck it let's run with it.

For that price I'd be more than happy, he's a brilliant player. If we did get him or another player who is primarily a winger I wouldn't be surprised to see a front 3 of Mane-Salah-Mahrez with Firmino dropping deeper into Coutinho's role.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

Ah, andersonisgod, we were just talking about you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Seen plenty of Mahrez last few years. Very talented but a liability at times.

But this is very impressive

https://twitter.com/FourFourTweet/status/949755896925642752

But I don't think he is what we need.

Very good player but would cost a kings ransom. Apparently turned down a €70m bid last summer for him and he's been better this season.
    It would be nice to go crazy and offer them £89M/€100M. Adding another Serb to the squad might also give Grujic a bit of impetus.

�� BeIN ���� Riyadh Mahrez SPORTS INFO will pass his medical with Liverpool tomorrow ⚽ it commit for the next four seasons, until June 2022 �� amount of the transaction: 55 M € http://po.st/pn20oi

https://twitter.com/beinsports_FR/status/949750796861796358?s=09

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Knex. wrote: »
    Didn't he get caught out posting elsewhere about how he trolls the boards soccer forum with his Barca stick?

https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057773396/1/#post104459554

Mahrez isn't what we need.

He's a less direct Salah. To get the best out of him, you'd have to play him in Salah's position. And that ain't happening.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

As armchair manager of Liverpool FC, I would be fully behind this move and money, I've always liked him and Klopp could turn him into a world beater...

Until Barca come sniffing around... :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,661 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Im surprised at Liverpool selling him now. Barca were going to come looking in the summer and it might have been less of a fee but I dont think the likely drop in fee would be a reason to sell when you could pretty much lose every PL game and still get 100 million.

I just think they lose a lot more than they gain.

Bein now saying we've put in €55m for Mahrez, I don't necessarily believe them but feck it let's run with it.

For that price I'd be more than happy, he's a brilliant player. If we did get him or another player who is primarily a winger I wouldn't be surprised to see a front 3 of Mane-Salah-Mahrez with Firmino dropping deeper into Coutinho's role.
    Metro have the story so it must be true!
    Mahrez to undergo medical ahead of £49M transfer

No reason this can't work, when we signed him Klopp spoke about Salah's versatility in being able to playon the wing, up front, or in the 10, and with the way we play our attackers rotate like mad anyway.
    GK
    RB-CB-CB-LB
    CM-CM
    Mahrez-Salah-Mane
    Firmino

Throw Leicester another £50m for Demarai Gray.

• Advertisement

Also I love the idea of FSG trying to make Liverpool the club that little African kids dream of one day playing for.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

Also I love the idea of FSG trying to make Liverpool the club that little African kids dream of one day playing for.

Strange comment...

Two of the best 3 African players are LFC players?

Throw Leicester another £50m for Demarai Gray.

He'd be more appropriate than Mahrez.

Fieldog wrote: »
    Strange comment...

Two of the best 3 African players are LFC players?

That's what I mean, it seems all South Americans want to eventually go to Barca/Real, so we've moved on to buying Africans instead, if we got Mahrez he'd be the 5th in the squad once Keita gets here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

Should get Lemar this window overpay if required.

Wait until the summer & get Zaha in as another forward option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

MD1990 wrote: »
    Should get Lemar this window overpay if required.

Wait until the summer & get Zaha in as another forward option.

Ah heyor...............................

Joyce has said Mahrez's medical is tomorrow.

£49m.

I actually hadn't seen that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

SlickRic wrote: »

£49m.

Don't see it on his twitter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,710 ✭✭✭54and56

SlickRic wrote: »

£49m.

Well this isn't your usual Saturday evening is it?

• Advertisement

Vicxas wrote: »
    Don't see it on his twitter

It honestly came up on the 'highlights' section of my feed.

Went into his profile now. Not there.

Must've been a fake.

Sorry folks.

EDIT: Yeah, I got duped.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement