Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Aubameyang would be great with Firmino dropping deeper, as he tends to do anyway.

Mahrez ? It's like someone at Liverpool is looking at forums like this and think ''hmmm Mahrez, good idea''

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

SlickRic wrote: »
    Joyce has said Mahrez's medical is tomorrow.

£49m.

I actually hadn't seen that.

Great signing for Liverpool, would have loved him at Arsenal but was too obvious for us!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

I like Mahrez and although he's not what we need to replace Coutinho at £50m I'd take him. I'm a big believer that you can never have too many attackers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

FixitFelix wrote: »
    Great signing for Liverpool, would have loved him at Arsenal but was too obvious for us!

It's not happened. Arsenal might still. The info i posted was from a fake account.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,499 ✭✭✭Sono

Mahrez ? It's like someone at Liverpool is looking at forums like this and think ''hmmm Mahrez, good idea''

Or else they see he is a quality player which he is and having a great season and is looking for another club, but you could be right also.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

I just can't see us getting back from this tbh, it's almost impossible.

At this point, no one is giving us a chance and it's hard to blame them.

We're 3-0 down against arguably the best team in the world. Kaka & Crespo are absolutely cutting through us and we've to hit a MINIMUM of 3 goals without reply to be even in with a chance and even at that, we'd need more in the tank to actually go and win the thing.

Let's face it lads, we need a miracle here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Add ons to the Coutinho deal

£4.4mil every 25 games up to 100 games; £4.4mil next two champions league qualifications and another £4.4mil if they win it.

That's a lot better than i though - you'd imagine most of that could come in the next year / 18 months

(source - Guardian)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

Sono wrote: »
    Or else they see he is a quality player which he is and having a great season and is looking for another club, but you could be right also.

It's so obvious, it comes across as a impulse buy. It's like we are walking out of a supermarket with 105m and seeing Mahrez at the checkout .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,791 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

DVDM93 wrote: »
    I just can't see us getting back from this tbh, it's almost impossible.

At this point, no one is giving us a chance and it's hard to blame them.

We're 3-0 down against arguably the best team in the world. Kaka & Crespo are absolutely cutting through us and we've to hit a MINIMUM of 3 goals without reply to be even in with a chance and even at that, we'd need more in the tank to actually go and win the thing.

Let's face it lads, we need a miracle here.

giphy.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Mahrez is quality, versatile, dynamic and has all the tools to play well in our team, no doubt about it. Get him for the rumoured fee and I'll be happy enough.

Coutinho had 12 goals this season,and was on course for his best goal return yet. I can't see Milner, Can, or Henderson giving us 12 goals between them in second half of season.
    Our midfield has 3 Mr Sideways now. No use buying a front 3 type player when Coutinho was in midfield this season, we need a midfielder before this window closes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Coutinho had 12 goals this season,and was on course for his best goal return yet. I can't see Milner, Can, or Henderson giving us 12 goals between them in second half of season.
    Our midfield has 3 Mr Sideways now. No use buying a front 3 type player when Coutinho was in midfield this season, we need a midfielder before this window closes.

I'm really confused as to where people think Coutinho has played this season, because he has most definitely not played in positions that would otherwise be occupied by Milner, Can, or Henderson.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Can Mahrez play in the centre similar to Coutinho? I'd be nervous if Klopp wasn't looking at a CM in this window.

Firmino with Salah/Mane/Mahrez behind could work in plenty of games. Or in games where we have one or even two of those four coming off the bench in the last 30 minutes are great options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭Fowler87

Mahrez will be a good addition. However has anyone wtf we'll do when the African Cup comes around again:eek:

Edit: Unless the schedule for that has been changed to a summer tournament?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,931 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Mahrez PL proven and PL winner and African player of the year last season for £50m I'm ok with that.

Do any of the African Countries do defenders or Keepers??

Fowler87 wrote: »
    Mahrez will be a good addition. However has anyone wtf we'll do when the African Cup comes around again:eek:

It's been moved to the summer from now on.

I'm really confused as to where people think Coutinho has played this season, because he has most definitely not played in positions that would otherwise be occupied by Milner, Can, or Henderson.

He started and one of them was on bench typically, yes now with Lallana and Ox stepping up we have options, but I do recall games starting with Milner Can and Henderson when Coutinho was out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,249 ✭✭✭Irishmale0399

Anyone who thinks the deal or better said talking started between Liverpool and Barca last week should waken up. You can be sure the deal was 85% agreed during the summer and Klopp told Couts....get your finger out and play your heart out until Xmas or they wont want you anymore.

That gave the club a few months to get a replacment line up or to look at options and make it look like they fought to keep the player.

Just the same as it gave the club the chance to announce the VVD deal very early, let him make his debut and only then announce the sale. That deal was also agreed a long time ago.....welcome to the wonderful world of Klopp and FSG. They are running the club as a business and seen an unhappy asset, who maybe could cause problems in the background and took a profit of 130 odd million. How they invest it or work with it we will have to see, but its all about making the club self suffient ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭qm1bv4p8i92aoj

Mahrez will be a good addition. However has anyone wtf we'll do when the African Cup comes around again:eek: Edit: Unless the schedule for that has been changed to a summer tournament?

Enjoy our summer??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

He played most of his games on the left wing and the others behind the forward player. Definitely not a midfield player.

Can Mahrez play in the centre similar to Coutinho? I'd be nervous if Klopp wasn't looking at a CM in this window.

Klopp's spoken about Salah being able to play the 10 a few times, also wouldn't be surprised to see Salah up top with Firmino behind and Mahrez and Mane on the wings.

If I wasn't in work I'd be drinking a few sangria's.
    No time to grieve for @LFC let's be positive as the team look strong and players could arrive soon !! #YNWA

https://twitter.com/luchogarcia14/status/949742884336603136

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,107 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

Edit: Unless the schedule for that has been changed to a summer tournament?
    It's been moved to the summer from now on.

There is actually 2 now as far as I know.

One in the summer for the 'better' players like your Mane, Keita, Mahrez, Salah's etc, and one in the normal January timeframe for domestic-based players.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,144 ✭✭✭DVDM93

Keeping Suarez will be the best bit of business Rodgers has done since arriving at the club, imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,296 ✭✭✭✭citytillidie

lol at the thread they try to start so bad it was funny out of the League up and outside the top 4 even though they are in the top 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

Probably on my own here but I'm not that upset about losing Coutinho. The guy improved a lot in the last couple of seasons but always blew hot and cold. This is not a Suarez-level loss and the fee we get is fantastic.

Confident Klopp and the club will invest the money wisely, as they have done recently.

Also going to go out on a limb and say that Liverpool have no interest in Mahrez.... before the 10.30 twitter news ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

lol at the thread they try to start so bad it was funny out of the League up and outside the top 4 even though they are in the top 4
    Yip, blinded by hatred :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭garra

I've seen a lot of Barca journos salivating, calling Coutinho the long term successor to Iniesta.

Coutinho is brilliant, but he's nothing like Iniesta.

Coutinho has never controlled a game in his life. Coutinho is a player of magic moments, pieces of play that change games.

That's what they're buying.

Basically (and he's not nearly as good as either of these players)...he's more Neymar than he is Xavi.

You have it the wrong way round. He is leaving to a club where he can control the game, his role at LFC lately did not stipulate trying to control games but I do recall him taking on that role under Rodgers for a spell and doing well.

garra wrote: »
    You have it the wrong way round. He is leaving to a club where he can control the game, his role at LFC lately did not stipulate trying to control games but I do recall him taking on that role under Rodgers for a spell and doing well.
    Don’t remember him every dominate a game from the middle. Barca might be disappointed if they play him in that role.

Even the "reliable" journalists have been in the dark on everything since the tapping up scandal, nothing was really out before we signed Keita or van Dijk and I'd imagine that'll be the same with whoever we sign next.

Don’t remember him every dominate a game from the middle. Barca might be disappointed if they play him in that role.

West Ham away last year when we had to win to get top 4.

FitzShane wrote: »

Don’t think he dominated the game, not like the way Iniesta has done for more than a decade.
    But maybe they want him as a front 3, and drop into mid at times. Won’t know until we see it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

FitzShane wrote: »

Don’t think he dominated the game, not like the way Iniesta has done for more than a decade.
    But maybe they want him as a front 3, and drop into mid at times. Won’t know until we see it.
    He is better than Iniesta ever was in my opinion

Do any of the African Countries do defenders or Keepers??
    Andre Onana (Cameroon) plays for Ajax is probably the best of the current generation but that's not saying much.

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

I've seen a lot of Barca journos salivating, calling Coutinho the long term successor to Iniesta.

Coutinho is brilliant, but he's nothing like Iniesta.

Coutinho has never controlled a game in his life. Coutinho is a player of magic moments, pieces of play that change games.

That's what they're buying.

Basically (and he's not nearly as good as either of these players)...he's more Neymar than he is Xavi.

This.

Said the same earlier myself -- He's not a massive loss in the grand scheme of things and that's an a phenomenal deal for a player that has as many average games as he does good games. The physical nature of the league doesnt really suit him tbh but he's no where near a loss such as Suarez was or if we had lost Gerrard in his pomp - He's a good player, not a great player.

Goals since August 2015:
    R. Mahrez (30)
    P. Coutinho (28)
    E. Hazard (26)

Assists since August 2015:
    R. Mahrez (21)
    P. Coutinho (18)
    E. Hazard (10)

naughtb4 wrote: »

Ah now.

• Advertisement

Throw Leicester another £50m for Demarai Gray.
    £30M - He's cup tied for the FA Cup which is our best opportunity of a trophy this season.

He's certainly got a Liverpool haircut.

nintchdbpict0003234396591.jpg?crop=700px%2C77px%2C786px%2C523px&resize=1200%2C800&ssl=1

naughtb4 wrote: »

Let's not be crazy here!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,022 ✭✭✭✭Iused2likebusts

Sad day with coutinho going. I didn't think there was a chance it would happen till the summer. Losing our best player but not our most important player. I feel firmino or salah would be a bigger loss to klopp. We have had some great attacking performances without coutinho this year . Personally I think we generally looked better when only 3 of the so called fab 4 played. The biggest problem I see now is if any of salah,mane,firmino get injured. Mahrez would be a signing I think could work. He would be highly motivated getting a move to Liverpool would be huge for him and I think he could play anywhere across the front 4 and could step in for any of the other 3. He also has goals/assists in his game unlike the likes of llalana/ox. His ability to run at players like coutinho would help open up space.

Wasn't there info earlier in day that Liverpool had contacted Leicester directly to tell them they
    had no interest in Mahrez and to ignore media.

I was more upset when Souness, Rush ,Aldridge, Beardsley, Houghton, McManaman, & Torres left.

Wasn't there info earlier in day that Liverpool had contacted Leicester directly to tell them they
    There was speculation.
    Now it’s he’s signing for £49m.
    Tomorrow it’ll be something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

We need to insist on crazy 400m buyout clause like Barca do. That is the world we live in now. Buy a young classy player and give him a 250m buyout clause. We need to spend now.

I don't think we include buyout clauses anymore anyway. No buyout clause is obviously preferably to even a huge buyout clause.

Disappointed about Coutinho, shame we don't get to see him in red again. Salah and Mane and Firmino are amazing players, but Coutinho was the best. And I think his loss will impact us more that some people think. So often it's his quick transition of play that sets Salah and Mane off into space. Or his stunning linkups with Firmino. Or even just how much attention he demands from the opposition, freeing up our other attackers. We'll miss him a lot.

But Klopp has done well with signings so far. I've been annoyed at his lack of action in the market sometimes, but to e fair to him, when he acts, he's usually proven right. So i'll have faith in whoever he brings in.

That made no sense. Why contact them to say you're not interested. Then the guy on Twitter said it was because they didn't want a VVD incident again.

The VVD stuff only happened because we were persuing him and got caught! If we're not after him we can't get caught doing something.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

This mahrez stuff doesn't seem true to me.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement