Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭Milkers

Milkers wrote: »
    I think Mahrez under Klopp's guidance would pleasantly surprise a lot of people.

I'd love to see Mahrez signed. I think he's one of the very few players out there who could somewhat replace what Coutinho brought to the team - that bit of unpredictable magic from nowhere. He also puts the fear of God into defenders facing him 1-on-1. Yes he's a bit inconsistent but there are enough consistent plodders in the squad as it is. Need a bit of x factor and he has it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Was really looking forward to the VVD debut all week and he did not disappoint, if we add Mahrez that would be some brilliant business on the clubs part as he is every bit as good a player as Phil IMO, plus possibly more goals and assists.

I think the keeper issue may improve with someone like VVD in front of them, especially Simon, if not I am sure we will go out and get someone by the end of the summer.

P.S. would love to see Leon Goretzka sign ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,342 ✭✭✭Ardent

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He is better than Iniesta ever was in my opinion

Ridiculous statement. Not fit to lace (prime) Iniesta's boots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

I was more upset when Souness, Rush ,Aldridge, Beardsley, Houghton, McManaman, & Torres left.
    I cried when Keegan left for Hamburg! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭fyfe79

Also I love the idea of FSG trying to make Liverpool the club that little African kids dream of one day playing for.

Good point. If Mahrez was to sign we'd have 4 top African players next season. Might not be a huge financial market like Asia, but would be a great market to crack purely from a football perspective - a lot of African kids would idolise the club going forward. Especially important too is the fact that their players will no longer be disappearing every second January for the ACN.

Regarding Coutinho, I'm still shocked Barca signed him, tbh. According to quite a few knowledgeable Boardsies, their scouts were only ever watching when Couts put a set-piece into the crowd! Unlucky that...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

shaunr68 wrote: »

So did I :o

Nando broke my heart, had to eventually get rid of both a Red and Black top with 9 and his name on the back, then vowed never again to get a players name of my top which I have not since, although nearly did with 7 and Luis :D but after Nando was not surprised that he left as well. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Absolute class letter from klopp. I think we need to look at ourselves as a club and supporters and come to one simple conclusion...we are ****ing class! The way we play, the way our supporters lift players in to super players. Coutinho was no one going nowhere fast until he joined us. Every attavking player is going to want to join us. Sure you could go to madrid and live in ronaldo shadow or join barca and live in messi shaf
    Dow or join chelsea and you mnanager might be gone in a year, join united and let mourinho suck the soul out of your attacking instincts, join wenger and become frustrated. Right now we are the club everyone want to play for because with all the money swirling around we still i. The ****ing bone of a footballer we mean something. Vbd nailed it on the head when he saod everyone dream of playing for the reds. Mahrez would be a great signing because he will be on the big stage and he'll love it. He can coast with leicester but if he was with us the room he would get and the believe the fans would put in him would take him to another level

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,044 ✭✭✭✭~Rebel~

One definate positive of Mahrez, is that we know exactly what he brings when he plays with a pacy striker. He's been setting Vardy free with some spectacular through balls over the past 3 years, so I'm sure would be well able to do similar for Mane and Salah. He's one of the few lads I can think of that are gettable, and can transition play in the final third as quickly as Coutinho can... getting the ball and in one or two touches, finding a killer pass to exploit an unbalanced defence. Not as good as Phil, but still very good.

Would rather he was a bit more tenacious in his defencive duties, but perhaps its something Klopp could add.

5starpool wrote: »
    This mahrez stuff doesn't seem true to me.

I dunno. Him being left out of their squad today was odd. Maybe he's signing for Liverpool tomorrow as some of the reports suggest, or they didn't want to cup-tie him before they sell him later in the window.

Added to all that stuff earlier involving Liverpool stating that they haven't been tapping him up.... there seems to be a bit of smoke alright.

Personally I'd like to see it happen anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭NabyLadistheman

Torres broke my heart & left me usernameless. Couldn't even bring myself to change it after Suarez left I was so looowww. Now the time has come for a new prince who shall see out his career at Anfield..

Its gonna be Virgilistheman or Keitaistheman...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Shows how crazy the market is when coutinho reaches 160m euro. That's where it's at, but it's nuts. You can understand him wanting to go, but fvck him for agitating for the move in January. He's gone now, and while it's upsetting alright, he ultimately IMHO is still a little hot and cold for all his talent. Maybe if he's with Barca and isn't asked to defend or work as he is with Klopp he'll be OK.
    If mahrez signs, he'll do a job I guess, but he's going to be hard work. Seems to turn it on and off as it suits himself, eg when there are transfer windows opening, his form has improved over the last few weeks. Also, when the Leicester team seemed to 'down tools' to push Ranieri out, he wasn't exactly dedicated to getting them to play. A talent no doubt, and for C. 10m more than Ox came in for, given we've just had a big payday, I guess that's where the market is.

Need a good midfielder, a 3 from Ox-Can-(Henderson if/fir) Milner/lallana will not secure top 4. I wouldn't panic buy a goalkeeper, fvck it, we can muddle through for another few months if needed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭Rekop dog

I think Mahrez was more impressive in Leicester's title winning season than Coutinho has ever been in a season. He's sort of gone through the motions last few years since, looks excellent at times and disinterested at others. Definitely needs a new challenge and a Klopp system is probably the best move for him to maximise his abilities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

"Hey fancy playing for us?"

DS4_dtCXcAIiYuJ.jpg

Mahrez not leaning against no wall til he dyes his hair back to a respectable colour up in here

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭PhuckHugh

naughtb4 wrote: »
    He is better than Iniesta ever was in my opinion

Ah here :D

Coutinho will do well to be half the player Iniesta was/is ... Talk about Liverpool /EPL blinkers.

Phil Thompson is correct - losing him is a 1/10th of the loss Suarez was... It's a fantastic deal for Liverpool... But end of season would have made more sense for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,365 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

Torres broke my heart & left me usernameless. Couldn't even bring myself to change it after Suarez left I was so looowww. Now the time has come for a new prince who shall see out his career at Anfield..

Its gonna be Virgilistheman or Keitaistheman...

Migistheman

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

Shows how crazy the market is when coutinho reaches 160m euro. That's where it's at, but it's nuts. You can understand him wanting to go, but fvck him for agitating for the move in January. He's gone now, and while it's upsetting alright, he ultimately IMHO is still a little hot and cold for all his talent. Maybe if he's with Barca and isn't asked to defend or work as he is with Klopp he'll be OK.
    If mahrez signs, he'll do a job I guess, but he's going to be hard work. Seems to turn it on and off as it suits himself, eg when there are transfer windows opening, his form has improved over the last few weeks. Also, when the Leicester team seemed to 'down tools' to push Ranieri out, he wasn't exactly dedicated to getting them to play. A talent no doubt, and for C. 10m more than Ox came in for, given we've just had a big payday, I guess that's where the market is.

Need a good midfielder, a 3 from Ox-Can-(Henderson if/fir) Milner/lallana will not secure top 4. I wouldn't panic buy a goalkeeper, fvck it, we can muddle through for another few months if needed.

I'm fairness any player that is linked away always plays outta their skin or goes on strike, look at coutinho since the summer, un playable and before that was pretty meh. Mahrez the same, is 100% better than what you currently have playing in similar position e.g the ox

RoboKlopp wrote: »
    Migistheman

If I thought it could happen I’d change it this moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Mahrez not leaning against no wall til he dyes his hair back to a respectable colour up in here

The Marshall Mahrez L.P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭bennyineire

rossie1977 wrote: »

Tweet by a SSN reporter at 3 o'clock today, so basically ignore

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,396 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

FixitFelix wrote: »
    I'm fairness any player that is linked away always plays outta their skin or goes on strike, look at coutinho since the summer, un playable and before that was pretty meh. Mahrez the same, is 100% better than what you currently have playing in similar position e.g the ox

Ox has been playing very well. Just needs a little more time for Klopp to hug the Wenger out of him.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,855 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

shaunr68 wrote: »

I did too. Then again I was less than a year old at the time, so that's hardly surprising.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭eyerer

Not me. I'm young enough that I remember Peter Beardsley as a Newcastle player rather than Liverpool :O

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭corwill

5starpool wrote: »
    I did too. Then again I was less than a year old at the time, so that's hardly surprising.

Harry cried when John Sheldon left for the Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,188 ✭✭✭mosstin

eyerer wrote: »
    Not me. I'm young enough that I remember Peter Beardsley as a Newcastle player rather than Liverpool :O

Ah, Beardsley in that 87/88 team. Magnificent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

PhuckHugh wrote: »
    Coutinho will do well to be half the player Iniesta was/is ... Talk about Liverpool /EPL blinkers.
    Ah here :)
    One poster, who nobody else agrees with, isn’t speaking for Liverpool/EPL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Looks like Klopp does have a target is what I take from Pearce's tweet.
    What we've seen from Klopp so far shows that if he can't get exactly who he wants this month then he will wait for the summer. #LFC

https://twitter.com/jamespearceecho/status/949792472460333056
    Whether it's a good deal for #LFC all depends where they go and spend that money. Club adamant that Mahrez isn't lined up as Coutinho's replacement.

https://twitter.com/JamesPearceEcho/status/949789681985708039

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Weren’t we also adamant about not signing AOC in the summer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

That was a super read. :pac::pac::pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

martyos121 wrote: »
    Weren’t we also adamant about not signing AOC in the summer?

Klopp said it in a conference anyway. Not sure what the likes of Joyce and Pearce were saying though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

fyfe79 wrote: »
    I dunno. Him being left out of their squad today was odd. Maybe he's signing for Liverpool tomorrow as some of the reports suggest, or they didn't want to cup-tie him before they sell him later in the window.

Added to all that stuff earlier involving Liverpool stating that they haven't been tapping him up.... there seems to be a bit of smoke alright.

Personally I'd like to see it happen anyway.

It wasn't that odd, it was just a cup tie away at Fleetwood. He left Vardy out as well and changed his whole back four. I'm not saying Mahrez is or isn't signing for Liverpool, but that his absence today doesn't really suggest anything further.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,504 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Knex. wrote: »
    Klopp said it in a conference anyway. Not sure what the likes of Joyce and Pearce were saying though.

I remember the same thing happened with Balotelli, the manager was absolute certain he wouldn’t be coming and then not even a month later....but that was pre-Klopp and post-Rafa, so it’s written off as a horrible dream sequence for me.

There no way to say this without sounding bitter but this is shiiiiite.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FCBarcelona_cat/status/949717325158088704/video/1

I'm sure they'll have something better but yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,369 ✭✭✭the incredible pudding

Grayditch wrote: »
    There no way to say this without sounding bitter but this is shiiiiite.

https://mobile.twitter.com/FCBarcelona_cat/status/949717325158088704/video/1

I'm sure they'll have something better but yeah.

I was hoping that he was hiding in the locker and was going to pop out in the end. I'm even more disappointed now!

See that would be class. What a cack jersey too.

And...

And I hate

Spanish students.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Let's just go for Griezmann and fcuk up all sorts of narratives.

hey hey hey...he's next on our wishlist at Barca, hands off:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

1000.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Arguing with a pal about the merits of Mahrez as a direct replacement for Coutinho.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Klopp is a passionate guy and will be thinking the worst. He is expecting to get slaughter for given the ok for the sale of Couthino. I don't think anyone is blaming him though, he done his best in trying to convince him to stay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

So a couple of posters arguing Mahrez is a good signing because Coutinho played most of games for Liverpool on the left.

Does no one else find that to be a bit superficial?

Where Coutinho starts on the team sheet isn't really where he sticks. He won't hug the touch line (not that Mahrez won't cut inside mind you).

Mahrez, couldn't do what Coutinho can do from deeper positions imo.

Obviously, if money was no object, and I guess it isn't right now, then another body would be nice but I'd fully expect him to compete with Mane and Salah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Throw the whole lot at utd for De gea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,395 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

Rekop dog wrote: »
    I think Mahrez was more impressive in Leicester's title winning season than Coutinho has ever been in a season. He's sort of gone through the motions last few years since, looks excellent at times and disinterested at others. Definitely needs a new challenge and a Klopp system is probably the best move for him to maximise his abilities.

Mahrez is not as good as Coutinho. Let's settle that right now. He's a very talented footballer but a right lazy arse.

Coutinho never shirked hard work. Mahrez does. Now maybe Klopp can bring it out of him but that's very much up in the air. If Liverpool are even interested in him.

Plus Mahrez's best position is basically inside right which is where Salah likes to be even though he has a license to roam.

I'm not against Mahrez (he's very talented) but if he's going to play for a Klopp team he can't afford to just fanny about waiting for the ball.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

Mahrez is not as good as Coutinho. Let's settle that right now.

There's not a single player we can buy that is, if there was Barcelona would have just bought him instead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

shamrock55 wrote: »

At this stage they're probably paying him half a million a week so we're better off not getting involved. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Rumple Stillson

I don't think there is anyone we can bring in right now who can replace Coutinho and what he brought to the team. However, if we are looking to do so I think the answer probably lies within.

I think Lallana can be the creative force from deeper positions. Though he hasn't the dribbling skills and directness of Coutinho, when he is on form he can be a very good link between midfield and attack. Possibly a more rounded player in this midfield role.

I think the goals and assists and general threat Coutinho brought from the attacking third can be replaced by Mane. He's not had a sparkling season so far but arguably he was more crucial to the team last year than Coutinho. If Mane can get more accustomed to the role on the left and get his confidence back, he can easily be as productive as Coutinho was from there.

I'd like to see cover brought in for Salah and Mane if possible. But we have seen that Klopp will wait until the right player is available rather than buy for the sake of it. So not sure anyone will come in this window.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,676 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

shamrock55 wrote: »

Throw the whole let at United for Mourinho, and make him our defensive coach...? He'd be in his element and everyone else gets a break from him. Can't see anyone losing there!

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

DS5WabyXUAESLCw.jpg:large

Turns out Coutinho has been holding us back all season.

monkey9 wrote: »
    It wasn't that odd, it was just a cup tie away at Fleetwood. He left Vardy out as well and changed his whole back four. I'm not saying Mahrez is or isn't signing for Liverpool, but that his absence today doesn't really suggest anything further.

Fair enough he rotated a lot of players, but he left Mahrez out of the squad completely. Vardy had an injury btw, which is why he wasn't playing against his old club - would surely have asked to play some part in the game otherwise.

I'm just adding 2 and 2 and probably getting 5, but the fact he was left out of their squad coupled with the weird "no approach" statement....

Ben Smith on Liverpools interest in Lemar. Think he is still well connected at Liverpool.

A much more likely transfer than Mahrez, who I think is just using us to create interest.

https://twitter.com/BSmith/status/949915084779814912

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement