Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Liverpool FC Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours 2018

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

Nabil Fekir

What do people know of this guy? Seems to be a player on the up, this time next year could be serious money.

He'd be my pick to bring in, though he would already cost serious money. Plus its Lyon and their owner Aulas is well known for getting big money for his players in a similar vein to Levy at Spurs.

In saying that, he's certainly picked up where he left off from his breakout year 2/3 seasons ago before he got a bad injury. Brilliant player.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,490 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

http://www.hitc.com/en-gb/2018/01/02/liverpool-fans-want-nabil-fekir-signed-in-january-as-philippe-co/

13 goals in 16 games.
    Could be ideal Couthino replacement. I dunno where the hell the 12 goals Coutihno scored in first half of season are coming from in second half of season, not from Can Milner of Henderson thats for sure.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭Talisman

Morzadec wrote: »
    I know I shouldn't speculate, all available evidence right now suggests it's a non issue, but I would have expected a statement by now.
    It happened late on Friday, the nice people at the FA don't work on the weekends.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,365 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Was it an attempt to get Firmino sent off, all made up. He should be banned if it was.

Of course it was.

It's the classic child's reaction to when you've done something wrong yourself. Instead of getting in trouble yourself, accuse the guy you pushed over of being racist.

Why the fúck would Firmino interrupt his Portuguese tirade, and throw in n****r, and in a way that nobody else heard? Nobody. Not one bar Holgate reacted. Despite at least half a dozen being there. So if he didn't say it in English (I'm assuming so, since nobody reacted) then Holgate is the only Portuguse speaker. How fúcking convenient.

I've no doubt that Holgate has made the accusation to deflect from acting like a thug.

klose wrote: »
    Lot of chatter about clyne on twitter that there's more to his "back injury" than first appeared.
    Michail Antonio from West Ham could be a worthy investment. He can play at right back and across the front three so he would offer great versatility. He'd also free TAA to move in to midfield and Gomez at centre back.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

Talisman wrote: »
    It happened late on Friday, the nice people at the FA don't work on the weekends.

Ah of course :D
    SlickRic wrote: »
    Of course it was.

It's the classic child's reaction to when you've done something wrong yourself. Instead of getting in trouble yourself, accuse the guy you pushed over of being racist.

Why the fúck would Firmino interrupt his Portuguese tirade, and throw in n****r, and in a way that nobody else heard? Nobody. Not one bar Holgate reacted. Despite at least half a dozen being there. So if he didn't say it in English (I'm assuming so, since nobody reacted) then Holgate is the only Portuguse speaker. How fúcking convenient.

I've no doubt that Holgate has made the accusation to deflect from acting like a thug.

The look on his face does seem to be one of genuine shock however, difficult to fake. It comes right after Jonjo Kenny's head comes in to block Firmino.

He seems totally normal before on the part where we can see Firmino talking in Portuguese.

It really is the most unfortunate timing of Kenny's head, because it's the last second or so of the tirade that Holgate seems to take offence to.

As an aside, watching that push back it should have been a red card. Didn't appreciate how bad it was at the time. Not a simple nudge, a full blown push that could have injured Firmino, deliberate, cynical, unnecessary and dangerous

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,580 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I just saw the picture, hard to tell if it's him, sure Sterling and Ibe were caught doing similar stuff...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,987 ✭✭✭Kerrigooney

Fieldog wrote: »
    I just saw the picture, hard to tell if it's him, sure Sterling and Ibe were caught doing similar stuff...

There's a 50/50 chance he was blowing up the balloon and not inhaling something from it but that wouldn't be a good story.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,953 ✭✭✭✭Osmosis Jones

I really don't think Holgate is making it up, his immediate reaction certainly suggests he's not. I don't think Firmino said anything racist either, I think Holgate just misheard him.

• Advertisement

I really don't think Holgate is making it up, his immediate reaction certainly suggests he's not. I don't think Firmino said anything racist either, I think Holgate just misheard him.

Same. The ref was right there and would surely have sent him off if anything racist was said.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Fieldog wrote: »

Its defo clyne. You can tell from the hair and neck tattoos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Same. The ref was right there and would surely have sent him off if anything racist was said.

The problem is though that misunderstanding or not he’s tarnished the players reputation and labeled him as something that’s going to be thrown at him week in and week out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

Ditto.

I just can't see him taking it this far if it was intentionally false.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ah of course :D

The look on his face does seem to be one of genuine shock however, difficult to fake. It comes right after Jonjo Kenny's head comes in to block Firmino.

He seems totally normal before on the part where we can see Firmino talking in Portuguese.

It really is the most unfortunate timing of Kenny's head, because it's the last second or so of the tirade that Holgate seems to take offence to.

As an aside, watching that push back it should have been a red card. Didn't appreciate how bad it was at the time. Not a simple nudge, a full blown push that could have injured Firmino, deliberate, cynical, unnecessary and dangerous

It is, but we know what the allegation is. Holgate is on camera telling a teammate he called him a n****r. So that's the allegation. Holgate is the only one who reacts. No other player, players or ref closer to Firmino than Holgate is, have reacted.

For me, there's nothing in this from Firmino's point of view. If he did say the word, then ban him for the season. If Holgate is making it up, then ban him for the season or give him the same punishment that Firmino would have been given.

Ultimately, i think this will all be resolved with the understanding that Holgate was mistaken.

noodler wrote: »
    Ditto.

I just can't see him taking it this far if it was intentionally false.

He might also have nothing to do with it, even if he told the ref at full-time that it was just a misunderstanding a report was still given to the 4th official during the game so it has to go to an investigation as a formality.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Yeah, I'm not at all comfortable with people who are saying he's fabricated it and that he should be banned.

It's very possible, if not entirely likely, that he thought he heard Firmino say it. The part that makes him furious actually comes after the Porgugues tirade that's been translated by every amateur lip reader around over the past few days. Not that initial tirade. We've no idea what was said.

Now, hopefully he misheard a Portuguese word and everything is a misunderstanding, but there is an unfortunate chance that Firmino did something wrong here.

More so than Holgate making something up of this magnitude just to avoid getting a sending off, ffs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Nabil Fekir

What do people know of this guy? Seems to be a player on the up, this time next year could be serious money.

Seems inauthentic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

Regarding Holgate, if it's down to a misunderstanding, I hope he'll face the consequences of his dangerous conduct and not just be let off. That could open tbe door to some more... misunderstandings that get you off a straight red and a ban.

Clearly Rodgers had us within a Gerrard slip from winning it recently too, so we have regressed since then but still are on an upward curve at the minute albeit City have left us a million miles off it!

Again, can't be pinned on Gerrard.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,952 ✭✭✭Morzadec

I agree and sincerely hope that's the case.

If this is the case I would hope Holgate can make a very quick statement apologising for the confusion and everyone moves on from this. No need to hound out Holgate for this if it's a mistake, but he would need to come out with something to put it all to bed.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭j8wk2feszrnpao

noodler wrote: »
    We are further away from winning the league than ever before, arguably.

I wouldn't hold it against him for not sticking around for that.
    It’s not just winning the league. The PL has 6 very competitive teams, looking at 4 places for the CL. While he’ll get an easy league winners in Spain this year, he’s guaranteed CL football every year in Spain.

I dunno where the hell the 12 goals Coutihno scored in first half of season are coming from in second half of season, not from Can Milner of Henderson thats for sure.
    From the media reports Thomas Lemar is who Klopp wants and we know from previous transfer windows that he will wait to get the player he wants.

Quincy Promes (Spartak) was considered an option when Mane was injured last season.

Gelson Martins (Sporting) was reported as an an alternative to Salah in the summer.

Joao Mario (Inter) was linked with a move before we signed Wijnaldum in 2016.

Ante Coric (Zagreb) agreed to sign for Liverpool in August 2016 but wanted to remain with Zagreb for their Champions League campaign so the move collapsed. At the time we were also linked with a move for Hakan Calhanoglu who has since signed for Milan. In December 2016, Klopp said that he regretted not signing Coric in the summer.

If Lemar isn't available until the summer, Coric would be a cheap option to pad out the squad. Given Milan's financial situation, Calhanoglu could also be cheap.

One thing is for sure Klopp won't panic buy a player for the sake of getting another body in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,510 ✭✭✭✭noodler

It’s not just winning the league. The PL has 6 very competitive teams, looking at 4 places for the CL. While he’ll get an easy league winners in Spain this year, he’s guaranteed CL football every year in Spain.

The league medal this year must have been in his head. I'm not sure what was in Barca's.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Gelson Martins looks to be a serious player, but the fear of another Markovic makes me less certain...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Buy Suso back for £90m.

If this is the case I would hope Holgate can make a very quick statement apologising for the confusion and everyone moves on from this.
    Holdgate should have come out already and said something, doesn’t need to have this dragged out for the entire weekend. That’s on him.
    I see a newspaper got a Portuguese lip reader who saw the incident from a few angles and said there was nothing racist.
    And how pathetic is the FA? Get your people on it right away and sort it out ASAP, not wait until Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

I think we need CM/AM player rather than a forward in January.

Henderson injured. Can leaving & playing poor,Lallana off form.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 650 ✭✭✭Mister Gooey

noodler wrote:
    The league medal this year must have been in his head. I'm not sure what was in Barca's.

Barca buying before PC gets tapped by Real Madrid or PSG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,325 ✭✭✭smileyj1987

This is abit of crazy one tbh !

I just realised Coutinho's up for December POTM, they're gonna give it to him just for the joke, aren't they?

• Advertisement

It is a bit nuts, but I wouldn’t read that much into it. He’s a player that made us better.
    But it does reflect that while he’s probably our most talented player, he’s not the best of most important (that’s been Salah).

• Registered Users, Subscribers, Registered Users 2 Posts: 250 ✭✭SeamusAFA

Wes Houlihan has to be the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,989 ✭✭✭Potential Underachiever

Why does everyone keep talking about lip readers and Firmino said this that or the other? What seems to have offended Holgate was not on camera! It's not that hard to understand! Also the point of Firmino speaking in Portuguese and then saying no way he flipped to English to insult him? Is it beyond possible that he said something like 'negro' I'm sure you wouldn't need to be fluent in Portuguese to translate that, IF and that's a big IF that's what he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,930 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Barca paid us £207m for Luis and Coutinho.

We gave Southampton £167m of it.

Net profit £40m or give it to Southampton for Ward-Prowse or Boufal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭FixitFelix

But I'd like to see who else was missing from the team at the same time, these stats don't tell the full story

Why does everyone keep talking about lip readers and Firmino said this that or the other? What seems to have offended Holgate was not on camera! It's not that hard to understand! Also the point of Firmino speaking in Portuguese and then saying no way he flipped to English to insult him? Is it beyond possible that he said something like 'negro' I'm sure you wouldn't need to be fluent in Portuguese to translate that, IF and that's a big IF that's what he said.
    Where does it show Firminho saying anything? You, and everyone else, is assuming he did.
    Holdgate reacted. Several others, even closer than Holdgate, didn’t react.
    We have no idea if Firminho said anything after the camera obscured Firminho.
    Understand?

It is a bit nuts, but I wouldn’t read that much into it. He’s a player that made us better.
    But it does reflect that while he’s probably our most talented player, he’s not the best of most important (that’s been Salah).
    Coutinho made an impact in the games against the smaller teams this season - Leicester, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Brighton, Southampton and Swansea. Those are the games where we will miss him.

Why does everyone keep talking about lip readers and Firmino said this that or the other? What seems to have offended Holgate was not on camera! It's not that hard to understand

Ok, so help us out. When in the timeline of events did the alleged racist abuse happen?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭One_Of_Shanks

A) Firmino called him a n****r and will get banned, deservedly if he said it.
    B) Holgate knew he hadn't used that word and pretended he had to deflect attention from his push.
    C) Firmino said "puta" and Holgate misheard it as n****r hence his reaction

I'd say (A) is unlikely, someone else would have heard it as there were several others around including Ref .
    And (B) almost equally unlikely, I mean it happened so fast so if he had the presence of mind in that split second to weigh up his options and pretend he was racially abused then he's a little evil genius

My money is firmly on (C). Puta and the N word depending on accent/dialect could be easily confused, he just misheard him, it happens.

Sad thing is the FA will prob just say not enough evidence to charge and he'll still have fans chanting at him that he's a racist etc.
    Between that and the auld drink driving, opposition fans won't be stuck for ammo

And even though Holgate prob didn't do this intentionally to deflect from his own behaviour, the end result will be that he's got away with it when he should have been booked or sent off or faced retrospective punishment.
    But the FA arent gonna say "not enough evidence of racism" and then turn around and ban Holgate for a game for what he did.
    Not their style atall.

• Advertisement

Talisman wrote: »
    Coutinho made an impact in the games against the smaller teams this season - Leicester, Newcastle, Bournemouth, Brighton, Southampton and Swansea. Those are the games where we will miss him.

We’ll def miss him. His ability on the ball to create, score, free kicks...
    We’re in a far better position than when we lost Suarez, Torres, Owen... he’s a loss, but the squad looks good, and hopefully we sign a near replacement with the fee received.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    The problem is though that misunderstanding or not he’s tarnished the players reputation and labeled him as something that’s going to be thrown at him week in and week out.

Yeah, you're right unfortunately but I don't know what could be done about that. You'd just have to hope if Holgate says it was a misunderstanding it'll all be forgotten about but knowing the way football fans are that won't happen. I assume Holgate hasn't said anything because he'll have been told not to because of the investigation.

Grayditch wrote: »
    Ok, so help us out. When in the timeline of events did the alleged racist abuse happen?

Presumably when Holgate went from dead calm to apoplectic just as Firmino was obscured from vision. Nobody knows what was said if anything right at that very moment. Holgate was not reacting to any of the puta stuff then went into a blind rage, why? We don't know yet.

Buy Suso back for £90m.

While I recognise you are being sarcastic, I was annoyed by the sale of Suso. He had a lot of potential and had actually played quite well for us. He should have remained as Coutinho's understudy and seemed happy to do so.

Ironic in a way - to have sold him to Inter for a small fee - I believe we underestimated him in the way they did Coutinho. Not that I am saying they are at the same level, but it took a while to develop Coutinho to where he is now too.

Woodburn now seems to have taken the Coutinho understudy position from Suso - and again has a lot of potential - but hasnt seemed to have had a look in recently, despite a good amount of involvement last season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Well here are - proof that Clyne is high apparently

DS8QcC_X0AEw6ox.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Presumably when Holgate went from dead calm to apoplectic just as Firmino was obscured from vision. Nobody knows what was said if anything right at that very moment. Holgate was not reacting to any of the puta stuff then went into a blind rage, why? We don't know yet.

Ref was between them when Holgate got animated.....so presumably the ref can clear it up in his report.

• Advertisement

NukaCola wrote: »
    Ref was between them when Holgate got animated.....so presumably the ref can clear it up in his report.

Lads are saying Holgate was putting on an act to get out of a red card, I find that very hard to believe, incredible oscar winning performance if so, he obviously 'thinks' he was offended whether he was or not is another story. Best case scenario is it was all just an unfortunate mis-understanding and there wasn't a villain of the piece.

Right in front of the ref and a load of Everton players who didn't react the same way, so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yeah, you're right unfortunately but I don't know what could be done about that. You'd just have to hope if Holgate says it was a misunderstanding it'll all be forgotten about but knowing the way football fans are that won't happen. I assume Holgate hasn't said anything because he'll have been told not to because of the investigation.

It definitely won’t be forgotten, there even seems to be one or two Liverpool fans creaming themselves at the possibility of it being true.

Holgate is the only one going nuts and there's plenty of other Everton players around. Why don't they react? If I was standing a couple of feet away from a guy screaming racist abuse at my team mate it's fair to say I'd react. I don't know how but I'm sure I'd be angry or shocked or both. None of the Everton players look like that.

I've missed that featureless, half-faced blur we know as Clyne.

njMHbNn.png

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement